My see-through rings aren't!

PDA

Nightcrawler
February 12, 2006, 04:32 AM
Okay. For my Totally Awesome FAL Carbine Project, I've acquired an IOR/Valdada M1 4x24 scope (http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=VT46M1308&storeid=1&image=dsa4x24M1scope.gif) with the MP9/NATO reticle. (I really wanted a 4x32 ACOG, but I don't do nearly enough scoped shooting to justify an eight hundred dollar scope. Besides, I still have college to think about.)

To mount it, I purchased set of DSA/Valdada 30mm quick detach rings (http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=VTQDH&storeid=1&image=ringshdqd.gif). I didn't get the tall/see-through version because I really wanted a see-through setup (that's why I got quick detach!), but to make sure the scope clears the rear sight.

http://www.dsarms.com/images/ringshdqd.gif

This is good, because I can't see through the see-through. Meaning, the base of the ring is so thick that it obstructs my sight picture. You gotta understand, these are the most heavy-duty rings I've seen. They're thick, heavy, and very well made.

I'm kind of disappointed now, though, that I can't see through them. I just realized this. Naturally, I've already thrown away the package and everything. (I haven't even mounted the scope to the rifle yet.)

Oh well. I mainly bought the scope as an experiment (a $350.00 experiment...), to see if I used the scope more or the irons more when I finish carbinizing my FAL. I wanted a good scope for this, but one that wasn't quite as much of an investment as, say, a Leupold MR/T.

In any case the scope itself is very high quality. I can't wait to get it to the range and try it out.

If you enjoyed reading about "My see-through rings aren't!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jungle
February 12, 2006, 09:14 PM
See throughs are generally a very bad idea. It is always best to optimize the mount and cheek weld for the primary system. The lowest mount consistent with a good cheek weld will be best. If the scope is visibly damaged remove it, if it has an internal flaw you may not notice until you take the shot and irons may not offer another shot depending on conditions.

Nightcrawler
February 12, 2006, 09:19 PM
Actually, I didn't buy them for the see-through feature. I bought them so they'd be tall enough to clear the rear sight of the FAL.

jungle
February 12, 2006, 09:31 PM
Well, in that case, why the disappointment?

Nightcrawler
February 12, 2006, 09:34 PM
I dunno. I guess I just don't like having a feature that I can't use. It's not anybody's fault, really. It's just the way the DSA scope mount sits up on the receiver, the thickness of the ring base, and the height of the sights. On another rifle, it might work just fine.

In any case, I'm sticking with them. I'm not going to just toss sixty dollar scope rings in the parts box. I'll just think of the see thorugh apperature as a lightening cut. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "My see-through rings aren't!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!