medina,ohio gun show

PDA

standingbear
April 13, 2003, 12:19 PM
went to a gunshow.took along an lnib 870 express special purpose magnum.saw a chineese made uzi carbine..700 bucks?ruger p series pistol all up in the 450-480 dollar range?(they gone up that much too?)k98 german mausers in excellent cond. 240 each.almost got one but heard they beat you up and cant just shoot them all day.deal of the day-looking at some bulgarian makarovs.dealer offered me an even trade for one,said he would even throw in a holster and extra magazine.talked down the 870 to round 150 bucks.said id be doing myself a favor by trading cause the bulgarian makarovs only going to increase in value and he said twicw a year some store has new 870s special purposes selling for 199 bucks to the public,he could get them anytime for 170 new, dealer cost.schmuck.day wasnt totally lost.sat down to lunch and some ol burly guy struck up a conversation.talked about tragectories,bullets rising over water and snow(moister)then into backup pistols.(would have bought a new sp101 that day but didnt have the 389 +tax to get a 3" ss 357)learned some things i hadnt thought of before.he talked me into keeping the 870 for a house gun.the show was an absolute waste but the knowledge i gained was priceless.

If you enjoyed reading about "medina,ohio gun show" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gryphon
April 13, 2003, 12:28 PM
I've noticed over the last 2 years that the quality of the shows here in OH has really gone down hill. THe guns shows were where I was getting my stuff for the best prices. Got my 1911 for $350, a FAL for $310, got a Ruger GP100 and P89 for $300 each.

The only thing left I can see going for is milsurp ammo, and even that seems to be cheaper buying online and shipped to your domocile.

The Lancaster show used to be the biggie, then that started going downhill. Then they heaped on us the rediculously lame Hilliard show, which they have all the time, but the quality of stuff there has gone from quality dealers to guys selling junk knives, beeny babies, and books. Even the parts guys don't have hte quality anymore.

I've gotten better deals now at the local shops on just about everything, even ammo. I might give some of the local shows another shot, but my outlook on them is very grim indeed.

telewinz
April 13, 2003, 12:57 PM
I use to be a member of the Ohio Gun Collectors then I dropped out about 15 years ago. I've been thinking about rejoining lately but its easier to get a passport to Cuba. Went to the Penn. Gun Show in March located outside of Pittsburgh and was pleasantly suprized. Large show, plenty of free parking, no red tape to get in just $6. I have no idea how many tables there are but it took about two hours to walk through one time and by then we were too tired to walk through again. Other than ammo I didn't see any great deals but I didn't see any rip-offs either. Will go again in two weeks, so long OGCA.

Gabby Hayes
April 13, 2003, 02:00 PM
telewinz, I'll second your comments on the OGCA. If Saddam was hiding in one of their shows, he'd be as safe as anywhere. I doubt whether Coalition forces could fight their way in without knowing the secret handshake. Nor would the bunker-busters go deep enough. Around my neck of the woods, they're like the Delta Force -- we hear about them from time to time, but officially the government disavows all knowledge. :D

zahc
April 13, 2003, 06:37 PM
Standing bear:

Why didn't you say something! I missed it:(

BTW spaces, blank lines, paragraphing and capitalization make it a lot easier to read:)

Parke1
April 13, 2003, 06:41 PM
I've noticed over the last 2 years that the quality of the shows here in OH has really gone down hill.

I've noticed the same thing. Outrageous entrance and parking fees, little selection, sky-high prices, and TINY shows make me feel more and more inclined to order my guns online and have them sent to the local FFL's. The last show I went to was the Berea show (back in December... I think), and man, it was ridiculous. There wasn't enough room to breath, and the prices were ridiculous. I picked up a 3913 for a decent price, but I couldn't wait to get out of there!

-Parke1

hksw
April 13, 2003, 06:57 PM
Have you seen the Berea show? Last one was the worst I have ever seen (considering what the show use to be). Use to be up to 1000 tables at one time. Hopefully, it was just due to the time of year.

That Monroeville (Pittsburgh) show (PGCA) is now the big one to go to to get a good selection. Next closest big one is the Indianapolis show.

Ninj500
April 13, 2003, 07:22 PM
The good deals in Ohio are at Gun shops. Currently, a Springfield Mil-Spec is running around $399 at the shops and $500 at the shows. A 92FS goes for $499 at the shops and $550 at the shows. Plus, the shops give more money for trade-ins. Go figure. I now do most of my shopping at my local shops or online. It's true the gun show dealers don't have the buying power of the bigger shops. But, I don't have an extra $100 just to keep them in business. Even worse are the "door hawkers" that want to give $150 for a brand new BHP or $100 for a Remington 870. I don't mind giving someone a fair profit, it's foolish to assume they can stay in business selling cost. There is a difference between a fair profit and asking an unfair price. Fact is, they charge such obscene prices because a certain percentage of people will pay it. Like car dealers, they don't have to sell to the informed consumer when the next buyer is a sucker.

telewinz
April 13, 2003, 08:08 PM
How many tables are there at the PGCA? I'd hate to guess. I'd be off by hundreds.

hksw
April 13, 2003, 08:36 PM
In the early '90s, they advertised as 1200 tables. They had been turned away from the Expo Mart by the owners during the backlash against guns after Columbine for a couple of years and have recently (last year, IIRC) got back into the Expo I think through legal means. I haven't yet gone back there for a show but the 1200 tables occupied the maind room in the second floor, a large hallway, and a smaller room the hallway connects to. I think the main room was divided in two, IIRC.

During the non-Expo days, the shows were held at a vacant mall southeast of Pittsburgh.

standingbear
April 13, 2003, 10:45 PM
zahc...you didnt miss anything.they even lowered the admission to 5 bucks(wont help).ive had more fun mowing over a hidden nest of ground hornets with pushmower.

telewinz
April 14, 2003, 08:13 AM
Seems most of the shows within a 60 miles radius of Wheeling ,WV are rips. Small and expensive. The worst one was last year in Chester,WV at Mountaineer Race track. I was looking for a Hakim (still am) and found an excellent one for $700.00:what: . I just shake my head move-on when I see prices like that but not this time. I gave the vendor my opinion of his prices and the two-bit show in general. I informed him that at best that rifle was worth $375 and where he could get all he wanted for $350. He just smiled at me and said "there will be someone along who will pay it, if not this show then the next one". I was furious, and left without further delay and without buying a thing.:fire:

Gmac
April 14, 2003, 10:20 AM
:( Went to a show in Dayton last year,what a ripoff! Sky high prices and rude vendors. I do much better at my local shops & parking/admission are free.

standingbear
April 14, 2003, 05:41 PM
.ffl holder i know will sell me ANY gun i find at 20 bucks over his cost.im sticking to that from now on.no more gunshows for me.

telewinz
April 14, 2003, 07:01 PM
Most FFl holders around here beat you to death with their fees plus you lose the chance for any trade or warranty. Its all one sided, by the time you are done you are out $50 and maybe get struck with an inferior firearm. I had a dealer order me a Kar98K for $200 when XXX was first selling them. He said I'd get it in about 3 days because he had an account with them. It finally came 8 days later and although it was in pretty good condition, he laid it on real heavy about "what great/outstanding shape it was in", the overstatement struck me as odd. He went into the backroom to get a case of ammo I also purchased when his "buddy" told me the delay was caused because my rifle had come in the previous week and "my FFL friend" liked it so much he ordered another. He kept the best of the two rifles for himself.:fire: I have not been back yet, I'll stick-out the gunshows or get out of guns completely before I deal with vermin such as him.

standingbear
April 14, 2003, 08:01 PM
he charged me exactly 20 bucks over dealer cost plus shipping-already paid and have the gun in 3 days,i have done an easy grand worth of business with him in the past(including complete 1911 customizing and rechambering/;rebuilding a garand to 308-fine job at that)..everyone else wants at least 50 bucks and complains at that.i guess we know who is getting more business.there are some good and some bad dealers,just lucky to have found a good one.

Engineer
April 15, 2003, 01:17 AM
Have you seen the Berea show? Last one was the worst I have ever seen (considering what the show use to be). Use to be up to 1000 tables at one time. Hopefully, it was just due to the time of year.

They cut down the number of buildings at Berea during the winter because the other buildings aren't heated. Rest assured, the next show should be back to having all buildings open.

If you enjoyed reading about "medina,ohio gun show" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!