Ever Use Improvised Hearing Protection?

PDA

Redlg155
April 13, 2003, 12:47 PM
I'll all loaded up and ready for the range. Weapons? Check. Ammo? Check. targets? Check. Food? Check. Hearing Protection? Yep..still in the car from the last range trip.

45 minutes and 30 miles later I find out that I don't have any hearing protection. Things aren't looking good because I have my Fal and M44...two weapons you definitely don't want to shoot without protection. But I definitely don't want to drive home and then back again.

In a moment of insanity I think of asking my wife to stand behind me and stick her fingers in my ears while I shoot. She doesn't listen to me anyway so hearing shouldn't be all that important to her. I decided not to ask her as she usually dismisses my genius with some scornful look. :D

So I start looking for something. Hmmm....there in the trash are some old foam ones but they have some yellowish brown ear wax stuck to them, so recycling is out of the question. I don't smoke, so no cigarette butts are available. About all I've got are some cleaning patches.

Hey..did you guys know that .45 cal cleaning patches wrapped around a spent .38 casing work pretty good for ear plugs? :D

Ok..I know I'm not the only guy who has ever had to improvise. Fess up!

Good Shooting
Red

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever Use Improvised Hearing Protection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greybeard
April 13, 2003, 01:16 PM
"Used" kleenex out of the trash what ya lookin' for? :barf: , but done it in pinch. Cig butts a little too loose for me but can beat nothing ...

Redlg155
April 13, 2003, 01:37 PM
"Used" kleenex out of the trash what ya lookin' for?

Ewwww...that's just nasty.!

I was looking for some spent casings. The only ones in the brass buckets were some suplus 8mm Mauser casings. Just a tad too big. :D

Good SHooting
Red

Triad
April 13, 2003, 01:41 PM
Cotton balls work well.

blades67
April 13, 2003, 02:15 PM
Cotton balls work better if you put some Vasoline on them first.

COHIBA
April 13, 2003, 05:38 PM
toejam?
fromunda cheese?
navel lint?
grasshoppers?
rolled up leaves?

pretty much anything you can lay your hands on will work.

Topgun
April 13, 2003, 05:52 PM
COHIBA. re: "pretty much anything you can lay your hands on will work"

.........ONLY .......if it will REACH your ears.

:D

CleverNickname
April 13, 2003, 07:21 PM
I've seen people stick 9mm rounds in their ears before. I think it was because they were cheap though, not because they forgot their hearing protection.

sm
April 13, 2003, 07:41 PM
Rolled up biscuit works.Buddy with 10 ga in a duck blind and sausage/ biscuit sandwich , one gets creative-quick.

Torn pc of hankerchief, cigarette butts, kleenex. Have realized without HP and stopped at a country grocery or drug store and used the wax ear plugs, all they had, but used growing up. I now just keep "stuff" in the truck, bags, jackets, scattered about.

Stevie-Ray
April 13, 2003, 07:46 PM
fromunda cheese? :D Oh, man, that's just nasty!:D

Use a range bag with plenty of muffs, glasses, plugs, etc., and you'll never worry about that again. Unless of course you forget the range bag.:banghead:

cool45auto
April 13, 2003, 08:53 PM
"toe jam" Cohiba that's just wrong.:p

jsalcedo
April 13, 2003, 09:00 PM
I went impromptu shooting with a friends dad we used 9mm fmj in our ears.

I think it hurt worse than the hearing loss.

Standing Wolf
April 13, 2003, 09:04 PM
No, but I once had to turn around and drive twenty miles home for my muffs.

Soap
April 13, 2003, 09:23 PM
Buy some of those cheap foam ones and put 10 pairs in every vehicle you own. I've only forgot them once, and luckily, a nice fellow had about 10 extra pairs.

thumbtack
April 13, 2003, 09:23 PM
I have used chewed up napkins on several occasion. They make good improvised ear plugs if you are not bother by having a sloggy piece of paper in your stuck in your ears.

DJJ
April 13, 2003, 10:33 PM
Tore a couple of chunks of cushion foam out of the seat of a car.

mdsteele
April 13, 2003, 11:18 PM
Crossed the NC/ SC border on a motorcycle. Took helmet off and didn't realize that the wind noise was so bad. I broke cigarettes off and used the butts to help my ears.

Kcustom45
April 14, 2003, 12:20 AM
I have used 45ACP bullets before. It works, but I gets uncomfortable after a while.

JohnBT
April 14, 2003, 09:06 AM
One day about 20 or 30 years ago, not very long after I stopped throwing my cigarette butts on the ground, I had need of improvised hearing protection. So, being the thriftly son of gun I used to be, I reached into my pocket and retrieved two used filters.

I will never do that again. Talk about an ear-burning buzz of massive proportions. Straight from the butt to the brain...so to speak.

John

Kinsman
April 14, 2003, 10:22 AM
Cigarette butts.
After the first cylinder full of .44 mag I realized I had made a big mistake, but we had driven an hour and a half to shoot, so I kept going.

Now I keep lots of the foam ones around.

10-Ring
April 14, 2003, 11:10 AM
Once tried cotton balls. Now, I've got extra ear plugs in all cars, and an extra couple sets in 2 diff't range bags. At 50 cents a set, I just wanna try to avoid being without.

Smoke
April 14, 2003, 01:47 PM
.45acp rounds.

But I think my ears are really .40cal

Ryder
April 14, 2003, 02:14 PM
Empty 45 cases work for me, I insert the rim. The trick to comfort is not to cram them in like they are foam lugs. They'll feel like they want to fall out, but they won't. Doesn't take much force to get a good seal. Quieter than foam.

Bonker
April 14, 2003, 02:28 PM
My dad taught me to use 45acp cases but my ears are more 9mm sized.

srschick
April 14, 2003, 03:20 PM
Buy some of those cheap foam ones and put 10 pairs in every vehicle you own. I've only forgot them once, and luckily, a nice fellow had about 10 extra pairs.

Same here. After first time forgetting, I bought a few pairs for each auto, plus a few in ALL of my bags. Can be found for .20ยข apiece in quantity.

bogie
April 14, 2003, 04:32 PM
I saw one fellow standing maybe 15-20 feet from the barn-side of the line at KCR this past weekend... No plugs, no nothin'... You could _feel_ the concussion of what sounded like a 20mm or larger being shot...

Either he's deaf, or he will be...

Kobun
April 14, 2003, 04:56 PM
So, we have 9mm, 40 and 45cal ears here so far.
Someone please tell me if someone says they use 20x83mm brass in their ears.
I would really like to see what that guy looks like! :D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=43854

cratz2
April 14, 2003, 05:31 PM
Funny you should mention this... Just this weekend, we went for a trip and stopped out at the wife's parents house. I had the Kahr P9 I bought recently and the spare magazine and another 30 rounds or so of 124 +P Gold Dots and thought I'd have the wife shoot some off as she hasn't had the chance to shoot this one yet.... No hearing protection. I tried stuffing some napkins rolled up but it didn't seem to cut theambient sound off enough and we ended up not shooting it.

On the way back, we got 3 pair of the little rubber stoppers conencted but the flexable strap earplugs and put a set in each vehicle.

Redlg155
April 14, 2003, 08:40 PM
I've got to get me some military style earplug holders and stash a few of them all over the place like the easter bunny hiding eggs. That way I'll always have them when I need them.

So far .45 ACP seems to be the largest out there. Sooner or later we'll find someone with .45 Colt ears. :D

Good Shooting
Red

lazarus
April 14, 2003, 09:38 PM
Huh? WHAT....(Sorry, I can't hear you!!!)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever Use Improvised Hearing Protection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!