Great Googlie-mooglies......458 Win Mag Garand

PDA

hillbilly
February 12, 2006, 07:37 PM
From the sight shotshowreports.com

http://www.shotshowreports.com/images/2006/Day1/458Garandloaded.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Great Googlie-mooglies......458 Win Mag Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Ron
February 12, 2006, 10:50 PM
Wow just wow

hillbilly
February 12, 2006, 10:55 PM
That there would downright rev-o-looshunize 'coon huntin............

hillbilly

Nightcrawler
February 12, 2006, 11:01 PM
If by "revolutionize" you mean "having to scrape the raccoon off of the nearby foliage", then yeah. :cool:

Burt Blade
February 13, 2006, 12:04 AM
A .458 Magnum Garand would be the polar opposite of "mouse gun".

If the M-16 was dubbed "poodle shooter" by Jeff Cooper, a .458 Magnum Garand would be called:

Rhino Thumper

Buffalo Blitz

Kzinti Cannon

Or simply "The Hammer of Thor"

hubel458
February 13, 2006, 12:39 AM
Had one 45 years ago, and I set gas cylinder back,
put in a BAR box magazine..If I'd have kept it when
I went to big bores,I would have made it a 458.Ed

Dr.Rob
February 13, 2006, 01:21 AM
If you can batter an op rod with heavy ammo in a Garand I'm guessing that's been replaced... neat but aside from dino hunting... what's it for?

PS MOST African countries do NOT allow the importation of semi-autos for hunting.

cracked butt
February 13, 2006, 02:09 AM
neat but aside from dino hunting... what's it for?

Bears!

The perfect bear gun has arrived:evil:

beerslurpy
February 13, 2006, 02:11 AM
458 is a necked up 30-06? That could be a fairly awesome gun. I amazed no one thought of it earlier.

Guys, check out the main web page. http://www.shotshowreports.com/2006main.html

I really like the taurus 410ga pistiol. It shoots 45LC but also 410 ga shotshells. And it isnt even that large. That might be a devastating SD pistol.
http://www.shotshowreports.com/images/2006/Day1/taurus410.jpg

Oh snap, Kel-tec made a single stack 9x19mm!!! Omg win!
http://www.shotshowreports.com/images/2006/Day1/keltec.jpg

Third_Rail
February 13, 2006, 09:41 AM
Dang, that .458 Winmag M1 was on MY drawing board.... :neener:

50caliber123
February 13, 2006, 10:47 AM
Sounds like the perfect CQB rifle to me! Burglars beware!

MrTwigg
February 13, 2006, 11:49 AM
:what: Make big gun go BOOM! :D :evil: :D

Very much fun ! :D :D :D

I wonder if it's legal in Massachusetts ? :banghead:

kjeff50cal
February 13, 2006, 12:01 PM
http://www.shotshowreports.com/images/2006/Day1/458Garandloaded.jpg

I call that a South African woods loafing gun :D or a Cape Buffalo quieter.

kjeff50cal

ZeroX
February 13, 2006, 12:33 PM
Yowza.

ATAShooter
February 13, 2006, 06:19 PM
Now.... let's test that ole 458 Garand out...

(whistle, whistle, whistle)
HERE OSAMA ......HERE BOY !!
:D :D :D

Remington788
February 14, 2006, 02:37 PM
I want one.:D

Car Knocker
February 14, 2006, 04:00 PM
458 is a necked up 30-06? That could be a fairly awesome gun. I amazed no one thought of it earlier.

Nope, it's not. The .458 is a belted magnum.

pauli
February 14, 2006, 04:45 PM
so, how does the shorty stack up against a 45/70 guide gun?

Correia
February 14, 2006, 05:29 PM
That .458 is from McCann Industries. Real nice guy. In fact I cut myself on his pocket knife. :) It was a very sharp pocket knive, very smooth also, which explains why I managed to close it on the end of my pinky. Blood gushing everywhere. :D D'oh.

Nice rifle though. The gas system has been adjusted, so according to him battering shouldn't be that big of an issue. For a custom job, the work really was pretty reasonable for what you were getting.

Andrew Wyatt
February 14, 2006, 06:11 PM
henry bowman should be along in a bit, since he works for the company.

Deputy Jones explained to me that they shorten the op rod and straighten it out, and make a new gas cylinder to reflect the larger distance between the op rod and cylinder.

the new gas cylinder has an adjustable front vent.

also, they put a mercury recoil reducer in it, grind the rear of the stock to match the handedness of the shooter (so the pad ends up angled), add a cushy pad, and open the rear sight up.

all for a 10th of a typical african rifle.

Burt Blade
February 15, 2006, 12:32 AM
The Giga-Garand! By Blammo!

db_tanker
February 15, 2006, 08:30 AM
The Gara-Mag.

when you absolutely, positively have to stop that charging T-Rex from eating you in two bites.

OR

The Gara-Mag.

the latest thing in Alaskan crowd control. :eek:

D

LoadedDrum
February 15, 2006, 10:26 AM
That .458 is from McCann Industries. Real nice guy. In fact I cut myself on his pocket knife. :) It was a very sharp pocket knive, very smooth also, which explains why I managed to close it on the end of my pinky. Blood gushing everywhere. :D D'oh.

Nice rifle though. The gas system has been adjusted, so according to him battering shouldn't be that big of an issue. For a custom job, the work really was pretty reasonable for what you were getting.

Screw the RRA group buy, get us a group buy on that bad boy:D

Henry Bowman
February 15, 2006, 11:18 AM
Here I am. Yes, McCann is one of my clients and I spent a lot of time in their booth at SHOT Show. They have sharp knives and big guns. Website: http://www.mccannindustries.com The .338 conversion is on the web site. The .458 was completed only a month ago and is not yet on the site.

The .458 Win Mag Garand holds 5 rounds - gas operated. Hornady makes cartridge for it with a 510 gr bullet. Five rounds have a combined force of over 31,000 ft-lbs of energy delivered.

What they offer is a conversion of your M1 Garand. They don't want your collectable piece, they want your beat up junker. They keep (and refinish) the receiver and bolt and trigger group. The rest is replaced. Yes, the OP rod is shortened and straight. They make a full length version and a shorter version (kind of like a Tanker Garand) for those who want quick bear control as soon as they exit the truck or bush plane.

The base price is $2,500 (plus your Garand). There are several upgrades available (scope mount, etc.).

Ronnie Barrett came by the booth. He liked it. :D His comment: "Very, very nice."

Ted Nugent came to the booth specifically to see this gun. :D I'll post pictures of him holding it and grinning big when I can. His comment: "I'm going to Africa this year and I want one of these to take and use. I'll be in touch to order one."

Richard McCann put 340 rounds through it in one week without a sore shoulder. I didn't get to shoot it because tear down of the booth took too long on Sunday. :(

PS MOST African countries do NOT allow the importation of semi-autos for hunting.But many do. As I understand it, at least Zimbabwe and maybe Botswana do.

A group buy very is possible. In fact, one guy committed to "at least 6 and maybe 8" at the show with a special negotiated price. Remember that part of the price is a customer-supplied Garand, though it can be a junker. The receivers were originally over-engineered, so they last and can handle the .458 loads without a problem. If at least 5 are interested, I bet I can get a THR price.:cool:

Tamara endorses the McCann Puffin Magnam fixed blade utility knife. Correia cut himself real good on my McCann Foldair folding knife. :D I showed it to another customer later in the day who said, "Is this blood on the blade?" Oops, yes, I guess so.:o

AJ Dual
February 15, 2006, 12:41 PM
Okay,

I can't be the only one thinking itů.

Next step?

The .458 BAR. :D

But seriously, I saw that 458 Garand, and I just grinned. It was reflexive.

And I've never even been deer hunting.

GunnySkox
February 15, 2006, 12:45 PM
.458 BAR? What are you, some kind of schoolgirl? I'm holding out for the .458 minigun conversion.

"Four-fifty-eight, when you absolutely, positively GOT to kill every m***af***in' buffalo in the room! Accept no substitutes." ~Modified Quotation

~GnSx
:D

Pafrmu
February 15, 2006, 12:56 PM
LEO should get that as their trunk gun. That would end the shootout pretty fast.

Correia
February 15, 2006, 02:23 PM
It's going to leave a good little scar. I'll be sure to make up a heroic story to go with it to impress people. :)

Henry, I've got a bunch of pressing post-SHOT business to deal with, then I'll be in touch with you about the business we discussed.

Henry Bowman
February 15, 2006, 02:28 PM
You know how to reach me.

Just start your story with: "This one time, at SHOT Show, ...":evil:

Dr.Rob
February 15, 2006, 07:37 PM
Wait! I have it! The Timothy Treadwell rescue rifle!

Because when you are going into the woods to pull some crazed tree hugger's bacon out of the fire you demand the best!

(note steel butt plate for motivating tree huggers to leave area.)

Big_R
February 15, 2006, 09:11 PM
I think the big question is, can they be loaded with the en-block clips? I can see the value in a fast reload.

Ryan

texasguy
February 15, 2006, 09:41 PM
I think the big question is, can they be loaded with the en-block clips? I can see the value in a fast reload.

Ryan

+1

Henry Bowman
February 15, 2006, 09:48 PM
I think the big question is, can they be loaded with the en-block clips? I can see the value in a fast reload.No, it's an internal box magazine that loads from the top. The clip ejector button is converted into a bolt catch/release button.

bogie
February 15, 2006, 11:18 PM
Any known loading/handloading issues?

Pafrmu
February 16, 2006, 12:26 AM
Any thoughts on use against zombies and other undead? Are there any factory silver loads?

beerslurpy
February 16, 2006, 01:23 AM
Honestly, for 2500 bucks I could build 2 458 socom ARs and use regular 223 mags. With the 90 round snail drums, you could hold 30-40 rounds for maximum bear slaying power.

jwhisler
February 16, 2006, 01:33 AM
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .458 Magnum, the most powerful Garand* in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

*that i know of

Henry Bowman
February 16, 2006, 10:30 AM
Honestly, for 2500 bucks I could build 2 458 socom ARs and use regular 223 mags. With the 90 round snail drums, you could hold 30-40 rounds for maximum bear slaying power.Go right ahead. I'll look for it at SHOT Show 2007.

There was some "art" involved in getting just 4 of these heavy, belted rounds to feed from a box magazine. At about 500-510 grains each, the bullet end is much heavier than the head end of the cartridge. As the rifle recoils, the heavy noses of the rounds in the mag are driven downward, yet have to be fed upward quickly enough to reliably feed into the chamber during a fast cycle of the bolt.

Car Knocker
February 16, 2006, 12:31 PM
Honestly, for 2500 bucks I could build 2 458 socom ARs and use regular 223 mags. With the 90 round snail drums, you could hold 30-40 rounds for maximum bear slaying power.

I believe the ballistics are significantly different between the two rounds and most states have a limit on how many cartridges can be in a rifle while hunting. You would probably be somewhat underpowered with the SOCOM compared to the .458 Win Mag, on a cartridge-to-cartridge basis.

If you enjoyed reading about "Great Googlie-mooglies......458 Win Mag Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!