Gold Dot setback

PDA

earl_simmons
April 13, 2003, 02:16 PM
I realize the hazards of repeatedly rechambering cartridges; however, this is what happened with a few .357 SIG Gold Dots after I chambered them ONE time. Needless to say, I will not be using Gold Dots as my home defense cartridge.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gold Dot setback" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VHinch
April 13, 2003, 03:42 PM
That is exactly why I quit using Gold Dots. Never saw them setback that far after only one chambering though.

Vance

Rob96
April 13, 2003, 05:53 PM
The only thing I use for carry in my 9mm are Gold Dots. No problems. I see that you are using a 357Sig. I have read of setback issues in this caliber, and not just with Gold Dots.

Jason Demond
April 13, 2003, 05:58 PM
I on the other hand, have never had this problem. I use 124gr+P 9mm's in my carry gun. I keep track of how many times a round is chambered though.

Cal4D4
April 13, 2003, 06:21 PM
Doesn't the short neck lead to this problem? Some bullet profiles would make this worse, but this is a tendency of the reduced grip a short neck design carries with it. A straight case like the 9mm or 10mm force fits the entire length of the bullet inside the case, pretty much up to the thickening web of the lower case wall.

April 14, 2003, 01:43 AM
i've only read of this with the .357 sig too. i've carried gold dots for years and no problems.

Tacblack
April 14, 2003, 01:55 AM
I like the 357sig round idea but the short contact area and just the eaze of reloading 9mm,40 and 38super I have cut it from my gun line up.

The short neck contact with the bullet will not take as much cambering before it moves.

I spoke to Dillon rep at the shot show about 357 sig. and he said many people reloading make it worse by cranking up the crimp to hold the bullet better tell the crimp works kinda like a 38/357 mag roll crimp just holding the leading edge of the of the contact area.

Not bashing the round its pretty cool, but I am lazy and looking for eazy calibers to load and reload:D

Byron Quick
April 14, 2003, 03:47 AM
I've shot and carried over four cases of Georgia Arms Gold Dot in .45 ACP and 10mm. I have chambered and rechambered at whim...whenever the mood struck. I have not had one single round do that.

It might be something that is unique to the caliber, it might be due to the brass, or it might be due to faulty loading by the manufacturer. In my opinion, based on my experience with over 4000 rounds of Gold Dot ammo...it's not the bullet.

Lennyjoe
April 14, 2003, 07:31 AM
Have used Gold Dots in my 9MM and .40 and haven't had a setback yet.

Have rechambered them several different times to see if it would happen and I didnt see any movement whatsoever.

Bummer to see that happening in .357 Sig.

Gewehr98
April 14, 2003, 11:14 AM
Not that one should have to do that with factory defensive ammo, but...

Zak Smith
April 14, 2003, 11:44 AM
Proload's loading of the Gold Dot bullets do not have this problem, even in .357SIG. You might give them a try.

-z

45R
April 14, 2003, 01:19 PM
Wow shooting those .357Sig Kurtz rounds will get you killed to death!!!

Might consider sending those pictures to Speer and have them send out a new box of ammo. That kind of setback is a Kb waiting to happen. I cant believe this is what happened after chambering the round once.

There is a tread on hs2000talk.com about this type of setback on a .40SW round that I posted about setback but it was after repeated cycling.

firestar
April 14, 2003, 07:57 PM
I also have 124gr Gold Dots in my 9mm and have chambered tham many times with no set back.

I have had set back with Wolff and S&B 9mm. I had a Wolff 9mm set back about 1/4" once and just to see what would happen, I loaded it into my Beretta 92FS and shot it. I know, I know but sometimes we do things that we know are stupid yet we do them anyway. It chambered fine from the mag, (everything feeds in my Beretta) but once I fired it, it locked the action up tight. I had to really yank on the slide to get it open. The case was stuck in the chamber and the extractor would not pull it loose, even after several attempts. I didn't have a cleaning rod at the range so I used my antenea from my car and poked it out. The recoil was much worse than any normal 9mm I had ever shot, I think it was a combo of the higher pressure and the fact that the slide didn't move to absorb any recoil.

Anyway, don't shoot ANY ammo that does this! It will hurt you if you are unlucky. I won't shoot Wolff ammo in any handgun but I will shoot S&B because it has only happened once and I think it was a fluke. Wolff is pure crap. The only gun that should shoot Wolff ammo is a Hi Point because they deserve each other. :D

cratz2
April 14, 2003, 10:54 PM
I've used oodles (technical term here :p ) of 124 Gr +P Gold Dot 9mm ammo and 200 Gr +P Gold Dot 45ACP ammo and have never seen anything like this.

If you like the bullet design, and it certainly is a good one, you might want to give Georgia Arms a try, might save a couple bucks as well.

http://www.georgia-arms.com/power.htm

Albert Shear
April 14, 2003, 11:25 PM
I have seen setback in just about every manufacturer and caliber from 380 to 45. In 30 years I have come to trust one type of case, a cannelured one. Thats why Federal is my choice in the 45acp 1911 I carry.

GooseGestapo
April 15, 2003, 02:22 PM
The problem is two fold.
1. The short neck of the .357 Sig provides less surface area for friction and tension to hold the bullet.

2. You will note that the cases are nickle plated. The nickle plating is 'slicker' than plain brass, and further reduces the friction holding the bullet.

I had the same problem with some Federal cases and some undersized Remington 115 JHP's (came from Midway and measured 0.354") in 9mm Para. I reset the sizer die, and turned down the expander plug and problem was corrected. (Unfortunately, and obviously you can't do this with factory ammo)

I would suggest that you switch to another load, possibly GaArms (which uses GoldDot bullets and Starline Brass) or perhaps something like Winchester or Remington instead.

I would not suggest shooting those in your Glock, or you too will be able to verify that Glocks will indeed go KB!

If you enjoyed reading about "Gold Dot setback" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!