Scope this out

PDA

Hoshua1
February 13, 2006, 12:35 AM
Barska 6-24x50=$80. Good deal? Good company? Siera Trading post or Big5? Can someone share a word on field of view while zoomed in. Some of the specs are copnfusing when i look at range finders and binocs,scopes. Tips?
THNX

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope this out" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MAUSER88
February 13, 2006, 03:46 PM
I'd say no. A cheap scope is a cheap scope.

Don't Tread On Me
February 13, 2006, 05:13 PM
This is not true. Dollar amount does not always equal quality.

For example, Leupold is more expensive than Burris when you compare their lines to one another, yet Burris is just as good in every way to Leupold, perhaps better in some ways.

As for cheap scopes, the vast majority of optics that are low cost are junk, but there are some winners out there.

The Russian PO scopes for example. A family member of mine just got one for $99. It is illuminated with a dragunov reticle (standard crosshair is available). This scope has optics EQUAL to Burris/Leupold's entry level optics. This is not BS. I had to see it to believe it. I spent over 2 hours looking through them comparing and could not detect any difference in clarity, resolution, contrast etc...although the coatings differ - the glass is equal. My eyesight is very good too.

Again, I wouldn't believe it, unless I seen it. I've seen other Russian optics before and they were so horrible, it was as if you were looking through a Coke bottle. This biased my view and I labeled them all junk in my mind. The reality is, Russian optics are made in several factories. One factory in particular was built on tooling and expertise of captured Schimdt & Bender factory machines and engineers after WW2.

Finish isn't that great. But they are tough as nails, built like a tank, and have optical quality that is excellent. All for $99. Again, I am amazed. I doubt anyone will believe me, but that is fine. That will keep demand low and I'll be able to afford these for $99 to a long time to come...

The vast majority of people are optics snobs and want to believe their scope is the best, or they absolutely have to justify the money they spent. I just call it as I see it. $99 Russian PO scope is = Leupold VXI/Burris FFII no question about it. If you are out to save a buck, get that. Otherwise, the only thing you're paying for with the others are longer/better warranties.

rockstar.esq
February 13, 2006, 11:04 PM
Don't Tread On Me

I'm with you. Optics don't get a fair shake and perpetuating the myth that all longarms need to be covered in the highest priced glass availible. Frankly, I think cheap scopes work great on .22LR's given that the VAST majority of them are shot at miday at distances under 100yds. There's none of that "don't miss your game at first light" to warrant better optics. I bought an IOR scope for my long range rifle and I couldn't be happier with it. The glass is literally made for Zeiss in a factory in Romania, well the Romanian's make IOR scopes with said glass. Much of what you said about the fit and finish is true however I have a scope that cost HALF as much as a comprable Leupold that allowed me to spot a man walking at an honest 1500 yds! When using a Leupold spotting scope, it was very hard to tell the difference between a man and a fence post! My advise is to look through as much glass as you can before buying but don't get too wrapped up in the hype. If you are the least bit carefull with your scope it should hold it's zero and bring you a great deal of satisfaction for your money spent.

RaetherEnt
February 13, 2006, 11:32 PM
Its funny I see this thread, because I was going to start a new thread on the same subject! I am looking at a Barska scope myself in 10X40X50 tactical. Upon researching them, I stumbled upon a new website that just opened its doors on February 1, , and they seem to say some good things about them. I'm looking for a longer range tactical type scope, and don't really have the money for a Mark 4 or Nightforce at the time.

Edited...Oh hell, there is also the Super Sniper...Hmmm

Infidel
February 13, 2006, 11:46 PM
...., Russian optics are made in several factories. One factory in particular was built on tooling and expertise of captured Schimdt & Bender factory machines and engineers after WW2.
That's very interesting, since Schmidt & Bender (http://www.schmidtbender.com/) themselves claim to have started in 1957. Pardon me while I mark this source "FoS".

BulletFan
February 14, 2006, 12:26 AM
I have a Barska SWAT 10-40x50mm tactical illuminated reticle. With a 30mm tube and a 50mm objective it gathers plenty of light for the shooting situations I get myself into. However I can see where it may have its limitaions in a low light situation like waiting for that perfect shot on the buck at the end of a long untsing day. BUT I have not had any problems related to the scope as far as accuracy and I have been more than pleased with it's performance. Granted the scope I bought from Barska was no where near
$50, however, I figured my opinion on the brand may provide at least a glimpse of what this $50 may be like.

Hope that helped.
Matt

Don't Tread On Me
February 14, 2006, 01:31 AM
Oops, my bad. I meant Zeiss. They were split up in East/West Germany after the war. If you look at Russian scopes right after, many of them look identical to WW2 era German scopes. I believe they even used the picket post reticle too.

Infidel
February 14, 2006, 03:01 AM
Well, Carl Zeiss Jena isn't and wasn't Russian, although they were in East Germany, under Soviet control until reunification, and their quality was not up to the West German Carl Zeiss. Their scopes and other optics are being sold here now under the name "Dokter Optics". Meanwhile, I have seen Russian optics that were good (not rifle scopes) and I have seen Russian optics that were very very bad.

When a scope maker leans very heavily on advertising that his glass comes from the same supplier as Zeiss, or emphasizing that his glass comes from Schott, that doesn't mean diddly, except that the maker has darn little to advertise and is trying to pull some wool and divert attention. Schott is the world's foremost supplier of glass, of all grades, all types, in bulk. You can buy a plethora of Schott glass pieces from Edmund Scientific. I might buy my beans from the same bulk bean supplier as Wolfgang Puck, but that means nothing as far as the quality of my bean soup versus his. It's what the cook does with the beans that counts, and it's what the optics maker does with the glass that counts, and that includes very important stuff like finishing, figuring, and coating.

Cheap scopes is cheap scopes, and life's too short.

redneck2
February 14, 2006, 06:00 AM
the scope I'd put on a .22 for plinking may be far different from the one I use on the elk hunt of a lifetime.

Do you need first/last light?? Fogproof?? Waterproof?? I have a Burris Black Diamond that has exceptional glass. I can see ducks on the water across our lake (650 yards) at night with just the light from the moon or night lights

USSR
February 14, 2006, 07:27 AM
This is not true. Dollar amount does not always equal quality.

The vast majority of people are optics snobs and want to believe their scope is the best, or they absolutely have to justify the money they spent.

You get what you pay for when it comes to optics. Why is it that some guys who can't afford good glass have to call guys who can "snobs"? Personally, I cannot afford the REALLY good glass costing over $1,000, but I would not dream of calling someone who can a "snob". So, if you're happy with your $99 glass, more power to you; just don't be calling us guys that know better, "snobs". Rant off.

Don

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope this out" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!