AUG users any comments on the New Aug?

PDA

Smiley
February 13, 2006, 01:21 AM
After hearing about a new Civilian AUG being introduced at the SHOT show, do any users/owners of the old AUG have any comments or predictions on the new AUG? Is this just simply a civilians legal version i.e. just semi?

If you enjoyed reading about "AUG users any comments on the New Aug?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beerslurpy
February 13, 2006, 01:25 AM
No, the 86 ban was repealed last week and no one made any posts about it. It is the real select-fire one.

Deadman
February 13, 2006, 01:26 AM
In my opinion, it looks pretty slick.... for an Aug.

Foxtrot427
February 13, 2006, 01:27 AM
Which one is this? The A3? Like this one?

http://www.armyrecognition.com/europe/Angleterre/Exhibition/DSEI_2005/pictures/Steyr_Rifle_AUG_A3_DSEI_2005_ArmyRecognition_01.jpg

clange
February 13, 2006, 01:44 AM
I'd like one exactly like this..

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43644867

but I guess they arent tacticool enough.

Master Blaster
February 13, 2006, 08:12 AM
http://www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT2006/Day1/DSC07806.jpg

The AUG is here, I would buy one of these long before I would consider a SIG55X.
I wonder how much they are going to be sold for retail??

How about magazines??

jerkface11
February 13, 2006, 08:39 AM
Can you get it without the rail? And with a green stock?

Glockman17366
February 13, 2006, 09:15 AM
No, the 86 ban was repealed last week and no one made any posts about it. It is the real select-fire one.

What...are you for real?

I only wish this was true!

eab
February 13, 2006, 11:46 AM
I think the old AUG is much slicker looking, more streamlined. The new one has those rails all over the place and seems unessarly bulky..... Can you take them off you think? Any word on what type of mags they gonna take? Special AUG mags or can they take m16 mags?

Bart Noir
February 13, 2006, 07:00 PM
IIRC Steyr used to sell converter units so that the M-16 mags would work in the AUG. Also, doesn't the Aussie version use the M-16 mag? If so, do they use this converter that I may have just invented? (Hey, I'm not all that sure I remember right.)

Bart Noir

Curare
February 13, 2006, 07:36 PM
http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/index.php?id=656 (Steyr AUG A3)

This is gorgeous--love the rail. A full 18" barrel in a 29" total package length for the duffle bag. The EOTech would be perfect on that. The frag range would be excellent out of the 18" barrel with 77gr. Mk262.

Only one problem--I heard bullpup mag changes weren't the fastest.

Lobotomy Boy
February 13, 2006, 09:21 PM
The Steyr website lists an optional NATO magazine stock group. I hope that would be available on a civilian semi-auto model.

When will this be released? I need to start budgeting now if it is going to be available in '06.

Curare
February 13, 2006, 09:28 PM
....When will this be released? I need to start budgeting now if it is going to be available in '06.

Perhaps never.

Adventurer_96
February 13, 2006, 10:30 PM
Any doubt that I had about being stuck in this damned state just went out the window with the idea that a civilian AUG might be available in the somewhat near future.

:barf:

Deadman
February 14, 2006, 07:53 AM
Also, doesn't the Aussie version use the M-16 mag?

No the Aussteyr utilises the standard Aug mag.

Lobotomy Boy
February 14, 2006, 08:09 AM
Given what the margin is likely to be on this gun and the potential market for it, offering a civilian version that takes AR magazines makes good business sense. If they could offer it for ~$1,200 I predict they could sell 2-4 times as many copies as Beretta sold of the Storm carbines, and it would backlist a lot better. Once the initial wave of interest in the Storms wore off, I suspect sales slowed way down. It used to be that every gun store in town carried the Storm; now they are pretty rare finds. I think that's because the gun is an oddity that created demand by its unique design. The Steyr is a design people have been clamoring for for decades--a high-quality .223-caliber carbine with a bullpup design. Once the initial wave of sales dies down, residual sales will remain strong because the market demand will still exist, just as it has for years.

Building this gun just makes good business sense.

If you enjoyed reading about "AUG users any comments on the New Aug?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!