PDA

ElTacoGrande
February 14, 2006, 01:45 AM
This article is just amazing:

Outrage of the Week
ATF Director Caused $19 Million in Cost Overruns
Matthew Dailey

By Matthew Dailey

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was found to have $19 million in cost overruns that stem from Director Carl J. Truscott changes and upgrades to the new ATF headquarters. The Justice Department inspector general's office is investigating the cost overruns along with a Senate subcommittee, the Washington Post reported.

After the Justice Department inspector general's office was made aware of the budget overruns, Truscott quickly canceled some of the upgrades that he planned for the new headquarters, according to the Washington Post.

$300,000 of the proposed upgrades at the new headquarters were for Truscott's new director suite that included a $65,000 conference table and more than $100,000 for hardwood floors, custom trim, and other items.

Anonymous sources told the Washington Post that Truscott devoted an inordinate amount of time to the new headquarters construction project. He has held occasional meetings that covered the project's smallest details, such as paint colors and soap dishes. One anonymous source said Truscott incurred an additional project cost by changing a floor tile order in one area of the new building because the original design "made him dizzy."

The ATF director has also come under criticism for what some say is an excessive security detail. Truscott uses five full-time agents and two armored Chevrolet Suburbans, at the yearly cost of $1 million. This large security detail was not employed by previous ATF directors, the Washington Post reported.

Because of the cost overruns, many critics say, the ATF will likely have to cut back on basic operational needs such as buying replacement bulletproof vests and new vehicles.

Some ATF officials stated that many of the cost overruns could have been avoided and should have been foreseen ahead of time by Truscott. He hired an additional 500 employees over the objections of subordinates, despite not having sufficient work space for them.

Source: http://www.lp.org/printer_281.shtml

On the plus side, five agents for full-time bodyguards means five less agents who can harass us. Hey I would gladly double their budget if they would lose their badges and sit in the office and play Grand Theft Auto all day long.

If you enjoyed reading about "ATF director blows an extra $19mil on his luxury office" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hawkmoon
February 14, 2006, 01:48 AM
Well, 500 new BATFEs minus 5 for the security detail means only 495 new harrassers of the general populace.

Thank God for small favours?

ElTacoGrande
February 14, 2006, 01:51 AM
Well, 500 new BATFEs minus 5 for the security detail means only 495 new harrassers of the general populace.

Thank God for small favours?

Yeah, 500 new agents is bad news for all of us. It's a make-work program that's a threat to the safety of everyone in the US.

We need to get some politicians in office who make a commitment to cutting budgets of the BATFE and their friends.

beerslurpy
February 14, 2006, 02:27 AM
A 65000 dollar conference table? All the furniture in my house isnt worth that, and I have nice furniture.

Why isnt this guy in jail? Police agencies shouldnt be building themselves palaces on the taxpayer dime.

ElTacoGrande
February 14, 2006, 02:39 AM
A 65000 dollar conference table? All the furniture in my house isnt worth that, and I have nice furniture.

$65k would pay the salary for one agent for one year, or it would pay for one conference table. I've never heard of anyone being hurt by a conference table. Where woud you rather have them spend their money?

Why isnt this guy in jail? Police agencies shouldnt be building themselves palaces on the taxpayer dime.

Ah well, there's that too.

Molon Labe
February 14, 2006, 04:48 AM
Why isnt this guy in jail?Because no one is policing the police.

LAK
February 14, 2006, 04:49 AM
The sooner enough people realize the nature of the organized crime cartel we have in Washington DC the better.

Anyone wonder why no one zeroes in on the "lucky contractors" that supply the goods and services to these people? Who they are - and who they connect to?
---------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Optical Serenity
February 14, 2006, 04:56 AM
:rolleyes:

Yes, its kinda odd for someone to spend $60k on a table...But, you think thats the only $60k table in D.C.? Kinda funny how some people only think about the BATFE. Which actually, is a very important organization which investigates explosions...They do more than just pick up folks who illegally sell suppressors and sawed off shotguns...

Do you guys also say the same thing about the white house? How about your congressmen? How about your mayor? For that matter, storm into your boss's office first thing in the morning and tell him/her that he can't have an expensive table. :rolleyes:

Byron Quick
February 14, 2006, 05:03 AM
I only wish the BATFE would use up its entire budget buying luxurious tables, recliners, bars, sofas, etc. and spend all their time drinking at taxpayer expense. It'd be a bargain for us.

GunnySkox
February 14, 2006, 05:31 AM
I just wish the BATFE stuck with the important stuff, like investigating bombings and giving thumbs ups on Form 4s and 1s, instead of, say, tromping around Richmond waving their bureaucratic phalluses around showing "us" just how much they can screw with us on a whim.

If they stuck to the important crap, I wouldn't mind a snazzy conference table with all the features nearly so much.

~GnSx

Molon Labe
February 14, 2006, 06:25 AM
I only wish the BATFE would use up its entire budget buying luxurious tables, recliners, bars, sofas, etc. and spend all their time drinking at taxpayer expense. It'd be a bargain for us.Better yet, they need to close shop and return us the money...

Optical Serenity
February 14, 2006, 06:27 AM
So, do you feel that there is absolutely no need for any investigation into violations of federal firearms laws? How about explosives?

Michigander
February 14, 2006, 07:15 AM
Why can't the FBI investigate crimes committed involving explosives?

The BATFE is a tax agency, right?

Molon Labe
February 14, 2006, 07:23 AM
So, do you feel that there is absolutely no need for any investigation into violations of federal firearms laws? How about explosives?Show me in the Constitution where it gives the federal government the authority to regulate firearms and explosives.

Byron Quick
February 14, 2006, 07:51 AM
Molon labe,

I kept my comments within the realm of reality. There is a possibility that they could totally waste all their budget and accomplish no harassement of private citizens in the pursuit of corruption. There is no possiblility whatsoever of them forbearing to harass private citizens and returning tax money. Zilch. None. Zero. Zip.

Approving Form 4's and Form 1's? I'd be much happier not having to obtain permission to exercise a right. Especially not being required to obtain permission from people who have such a sterling reputation.

feedthehogs
February 14, 2006, 08:12 AM
Because the government cronies who fleece our tax dollars for lavish acutriments that in real life they could neither afford or would have access to, are imune from the laws that govern us meager citizens.

Taxpayer theft in Washington is called "cost over runs".

To make matters worse, when this guy retires, he will have a lavish pension paid for by us while most of us will struggle to make ends meet.

Government waste will not end by any party until the flow of tax payer dollars is cut off.

RealGun
February 14, 2006, 08:14 AM
Large conference tables are expensive. Large trees are expensive. Custom woodwork is expensive. Imagine delivering one of these monsters, no doubt in pieces. Hardwood floors, eh? Wonder how many square feet? There is nothing here except the jaw dropping cost of commercial gear and setting up and maintaining bureaucracies. Every chief needs a conference table, a conference room to put it in, a building for the room, etc. He also need Indians to sit around the table and allow him to prevail from the head. "BATF" is just bait to justify government and LE bashing on a gun board.

spartacus2002
February 14, 2006, 08:23 AM
The ATF director has also come under criticism for what some say is an excessive security detail. Truscott uses five full-time agents and two armored Chevrolet Suburbans, at the yearly cost of $1 million. This large security detail was not employed by previous ATF directors, the Washington Post reported.

perhaps he's the first ATF director to have read Unintended Consequences.....

psyopspec
February 14, 2006, 08:46 AM
Where woud you rather have them spend their money?

That's the problem, it's not their money. It's our money.

LawDog
February 14, 2006, 09:11 AM
Why isnt this guy in jail?

Because no one is policing the police.

For the same reason that nobody went to jail when the Pentagon was buying $1500 toilet seats, $700 hammers and LearJets.

LawDog

buzz_knox
February 14, 2006, 09:40 AM
For the same reason that nobody went to jail when the Pentagon was buying $1500 toilet seats, $700 hammers and LearJets.

LawDog

Actually, the same thing happened with the hammers as happened here: the IG was informed, and the items were returned and/or contracts modified.

Jeff Timm
February 14, 2006, 09:55 AM
LawDog

Dang it guys! It's only February and I have to do my annual explaination.

The $1500 dollar toilet seat is quite real. It is based on the way the Department of Defense prices aircraft. That is, the entire cost of the program is divided into the cost of the aircraft when it is purchased, and shared out amoung the parts.

What this means, in the real world: When the Swiss wanted to buy new tanks they tested the Leopard vs. the Abrams, both had similar mobility, same gun and ammo, similar fire control system etc. Then the bids were opened, the US tank was much more expensive because all the R&D costs were applied as a share on top the price of the tank. The Germans fund the R&D as a completely separate item, then price the tanks based on construction costs ONLY.

The classic $700 dollar hammer was part of a special tools kit for an aircraft and had the same R&D costs applied, then divided by the item.

When it came time to design a replacement for the UH-1 Iroquis, the design team was shown a US Army issue standard tool kit, and told they wanted to do everything up to Depot maintenance with the standard tool kit. Legendarily the Engineering Team looked at the tool roll and said, "Gee, do we have to use them all?"

Geoff
Who has to explain great silliness on occasion. :what:

hammer4nc
February 14, 2006, 09:56 AM
Ho hum...the standard justifications for ATF waste, fraud, abuse so far:

1. They occasionally investigate (solve?) arson cases. Mussolini made the trains run on time, remember.

2. Everybody else, in .gov, is doing it (i.e., pentagon). Apt commentary on government in general. We could discuss "degrees" of corruption among competing agencies, though?:p

3. Blowing money on expensive digs means fewer $$ for JBT's to harass gun owners (recognizing this is sardonic;) humor). Though I don't think the math works this way.

Our historically passionate f-troop defenders have been relegated to posting on cop-only forums, I think.

El Tejon
February 14, 2006, 10:01 AM
:fire:

Long past time to defund the ATFE, sell their weapons and vests on the market to the highest bidder and turn them into a mobile road crew picking up trash on our nation's interstates.

buzz_knox
February 14, 2006, 10:15 AM
So, do you feel that there is absolutely no need for any investigation into violations of federal firearms laws? How about explosives?

1. There is no constitutional authority for federal firearms laws. The Supreme Court was bullied by Roosevelt into reversing decades of jurisprudence and finding that the Commerce Clause allowed federal involvement in state matters. There is no federal police power outside a defined set of circumstances, and firearms/explosives off federal property arent' covered.

2. The suggestion that some find no need for investigations is a strawman. Such investigations are valid for the states, which retain the police power.

allmons
February 14, 2006, 10:27 AM
buzz_knox is absolutely correct. There is no excuse or reason for BATFE, much less a reason for them to waste further tax dollars. They perform no useful function. They are an agency that really has only one function - to harrass and intimidate American citizens.

Abolish the BATFE now.

:fire:

KriegHund
February 14, 2006, 10:31 AM
I have an idea-

First we'll give em a scotch (alcohol), cigarette (tobacco) and a blindfold. The n we'll shoot em (firearms) and finally blow em up (explosives).

Fitting.

Justin
February 14, 2006, 11:49 AM
For that matter, storm into your boss's office first thing in the morning and tell him/her that he can't have an expensive table.

The difference, of course, being that my boss runs a company that actually generates wealth by producing a product that people find useful. Or perhaps you'd care to point out when the last time the BATFE actually turned a profit by offering a product and/or service that the general public was willing to pay for of their own volition.

TheEgg
February 14, 2006, 12:12 PM
Do you guys also say the same thing about the white house? How about your congressmen? How about your mayor?

Yes, constantly and loudly. Not that it has done any good so far.:mad:

Can'thavenuthingood
February 14, 2006, 12:51 PM
Justin beat me to it.
My boss owns the company. What he does with his money is his business. I agreed to work for a set wage and he pays me that wage.
Whatever is left after TAXES is what I get to take home. At the current rate of purchases made by the feds, I'll have less money to take home.

Heard on the radio yesterday the FEMA is going to hire 1500 more bodies to help with disasters.

How many kingdoms will that equate to? All those currently working for FEMA will have helpers assigned to them. Those new bosses will need an office equal to their stature.

But there ain't no pork in the budget.

Vote in the primaries.

Vick

antarti
February 14, 2006, 02:07 PM
Quote:

perhaps he's the first ATF director to have read Unintended Consequences.....

Either that, or he's got plans for those 500 new agents that he knows a lot of us aren't going to like... which do you think is more likely?

strambo
February 14, 2006, 03:44 PM
$65k would pay the salary for one agent for one year, or it would pay for one conference table. I've never heard of anyone being hurt by a conference table. Where woud you rather have them spend their money?

Considering we're talking about BATFE...I'd rather they spend the $$$ on the table as opposed to another agent. EDIT: I just realized this was probably your point too!

alan
February 14, 2006, 07:06 PM
Latest Gun Week, 1 March issue, carried a page 1 story on this, referencing The Washington Post.

I forecast the following. The thing will be sweept under the well known carpet, and NOTHING will happen to Director Truscott.

Re this gentleman, I wonder as to the following. Who picked him and where did they find him? Just curious.

Turkey Creek
February 14, 2006, 07:32 PM
The more money any government agency over runs just means that they scream and holler at budget time the next time around for more funds because they are underfunded- It's the standard modus opperandi- The whole thing is ripe with waste and graft- Just a matter of time before the whole system collapses under it's own weight- Mark my words brothers, time is short- It's going to make the depression look like a walk in the park- This time around the Feds will not have the ability to pull the country out of it because they will be one of the biggest causes- It's going to be a total social upheaval and every man for himself-

TrybalRage
February 14, 2006, 08:46 PM
Blood money. Scumbags.

Standing Wolf
February 14, 2006, 10:26 PM
Truscott uses five full-time agents and two armored Chevrolet Suburbans, at the yearly cost of $1 million. This large security detail was not employed by previous ATF directors, the Washington Post reported.

George III would certainly have understood.

LAK
February 15, 2006, 04:58 AM
:rolleyes:

Yes, its kinda odd for someone to spend $60k on a table...But, you think thats the only $60k table in D.C.? Kinda funny how some people only think about the BATFE. Which actually, is a very important organization which investigates explosions...They do more than just pick up folks who illegally sell suppressors and sawed off shotguns...

Do you guys also say the same thing about the white house? How about your congressmen? How about your mayor? For that matter, storm into your boss's office first thing in the morning and tell him/her that he can't have an expensive table. :rolleyes:
The highest ranking executive officer in the United States, a State Governor, and perhaps some others who must host other dignitaries ought to have a certain standard in their working environment. Not oppulent luxury and waste, but a certain level of class and quality. In the case of the WH it comes in the form of some very historical - and valuable - furniture and furnitings for example.

But $65k conference tables for a tax collection agency? In it's other ascribed roles the BATFE is a redundant organization. The FBI has a greater background and has a far longer history of dealing with crimes involving firearms and explosives that fall under Federal jurisdiction. And speaking of Federal jurisdiction; 65k furniture items for the BATFE is prime material for a Federal investigation and indictments by the FBI.

And now of course we can speculate where at least some of the missing 2.7 trillion from the Pentagon went to as well.
---------------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

publius
February 15, 2006, 08:27 AM
19 million in "overruns" and it sounds like we might just have Napoleon at the helm.

Or possibly Major Frank Burns from MASH...

Stay tuned, you just know the custom bathroom with the gold fixtures is going to come out soon. It seems like all of these vanity boondogglers in all governments everywhere have a thing for gold bathroom fixtures.

Alex45ACP
February 15, 2006, 11:09 AM
We need to get some politicians in office who make a commitment to cutting budgets of the BATFE and their friends.

www.LP.org

If you enjoyed reading about "ATF director blows an extra $19mil on his luxury office" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!