Pistol Shot Loads

PDA

Boom-stick
February 14, 2006, 11:54 AM
Stupid question time......How do you make shot loads for vermin/snakes etc in a BP revolver?

Or are they just for single shot pistols?

Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol Shot Loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stickjockey
February 14, 2006, 12:16 PM
Maybe:

powder->WonderWad->shot->WonderWad?

Just a guess.

Steve499
February 14, 2006, 08:50 PM
Beartracker does it in his Remington, but I think only for one chamber. He'll see this sooner or later and fill you in. I would think a wonder wad over the powder and a hard cardboard wad over the shot with maybe some wax melted over that to help hold the wad in place should work. I've never used shot from my revolvers but shot quite a bit of it from an old Spanish horse pistol I had back in the 60s. I rolled a newspaper tube around a wooden rod, removed the rod after tying one end of the paper tube closed. Then filled the tube with shot and tied the other end closed. I would load a card wad over the powder, drop one of the paper tubes of shot down the bore and compress it with another card wad over the top. I took a few rabbits with that pistol but they had to be close!

Steve

Duncaninfrance
February 15, 2006, 03:37 AM
Stupid question time......How do you make shot loads for vermin/snakes etc in a BP revolver?

Or are they just for single shot pistols?

Dan

How many snakes are you going to shoot in London Dan!!!?
If you find a lot you are probably lost in the zoo! Since we moved to France from Yorkshire in 2002 I have only seen 2 here!

Personally I don't think I would bother with a revolver, I would look to a single barrel pistol, it's probably safer. Use paper cartridges as Steve says with powder/wad/shot/wad or maybe powder/sabo/wad.

Anyway, dont blow yourself up, it will only give the politicians another reason to ban something!!! ( Oh and it might hurt a bit too!! )
Duncan

Boom-stick
February 15, 2006, 06:20 AM
How many snakes are you going to shoot in London Dan!!!?
If you find a lot you are probably lost in the zoo! Since we moved to France from Yorkshire in 2002 I have only seen 2 here!

Personally I don't think I would bother with a revolver, I would look to a single barrel pistol, it's probably safer. Use paper cartridges as Steve says with powder/wad/shot/wad or maybe powder/sabo/wad.

Anyway, dont blow yourself up, it will only give the politicians another reason to ban something!!! ( Oh and it might hurt a bit too!! )
Duncan

Duncan,

I'm trying to relate to the American contingent on this site that refer to shot loads as 'snake loads', as for no snakes in London, mate.... I'm an Estate Agent, I'm surrounded by snakes all day;)

Do have plenty of mice and rats though, a ruger old army with a cylinder full of shot would seem quite the anti-rat gun and fun at the same time.:)

PS, I do know I'd never get permission to use a BP firearm for vermin destruction.

Beartracker
February 15, 2006, 07:05 AM
In my .44 Remington I use 20g of Goex 3f,wonder wad,#6 shot and another wad on top and then compress it real tight but so much that you crush the powder and then ad grease on top. This works great for most any snakes and has dispatched several copperheads and two timber rattlers. It's a really good load up to about 12' and you want to be careful hitting anything hard and close as the shot can fly back at you. Some guy's use #8 for small birds but we don't have any attack birds here in WV, USA:D , Mike

rlltdjpr
February 17, 2006, 01:11 PM
I would like to second Mr. Beartracker's advice. It kills cottonmouths dead real quick. A guy I survey with in the summers has a little single shot .410 which he keeps in his pocket for this work, and the blackpowder shot loads work just as well. I've loaded mine with #8 shot from dismantled 12 guage shells and 20 grains 777 fffg. And I thought good 'ole St. Patrick took care of that snake problem for y'all--just out of curiosity, do you guys have any poisonous snakes in the British Isles/France?

Zero_DgZ
February 17, 2006, 01:32 PM
England isn't much for snakes but it does have at least three that I can think of. Only the Adder is venomous, though.

Duncaninfrance
February 17, 2006, 02:53 PM
I would like to second Mr. Beartracker's advice. It kills cottonmouths dead real quick. A guy I survey with in the summers has a little single shot .410 which he keeps in his pocket for this work, and the blackpowder shot loads work just as well. I've loaded mine with #8 shot from dismantled 12 guage shells and 20 grains 777 fffg. And I thought good 'ole St. Patrick took care of that snake problem for y'all--just out of curiosity, do you guys have any poisonous snakes in the British Isles/France?

France only has the Adder that is poisonous but we also have lots of politicians who are like snakes in the grass!!
I have to say that if it slithers I go the other way - fast, I don't stay around to see which one it is!! I HATE snakes!
Duncan :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Low Key
February 17, 2006, 03:46 PM
Duncan,
I'm curious, I know that the french politicians hate us and think the world would be better off without any of us over here but I wonder what do the french people think of americans? How does the average french guy on the street view americans in general?

As for snakes, I hate em too! Poisonous or not they don't hang around long if I catch sight of em...one good shot and the head comes right off! :evil:

Beartracker
February 17, 2006, 03:50 PM
"we also have lots of politicians who are like snakes in the grass!!":)
Join the club Duncan! We don't have to cross the pond to find them, we have plenty of our own. Mike

Duncaninfrance
February 17, 2006, 06:33 PM
Duncan,
I'm curious, I know that the french politicians hate us and think the world would be better off without any of us over here but I wonder what do the french people think of americans? How does the average french guy on the street view americans in general?

As for snakes, I hate em too! Poisonous or not they don't hang around long if I catch sight of em...one good shot and the head comes right off! :evil:

Well, LK & Mike, The French are a funny lot. In general non of them seem to like any politician but the politicians get away with the most amazing things an tell the most bare faced lies.
Since the revolution the governments have held tight control of things like money, taxes, some prices like bread etc. They even tell shops when they can have their Sales! And the unions - well they are the ones killing the country.
On a personal basis I find that I like most French people I deal with but they take a long time to get to know. I think they are happy with tourists and individuals but when a country upsets them they take it personally and lets face it, George Bush is enough to upset anyone!!
Be polite and they will be polite. Be friendly and so will they but don't expect them to jump for joy unless you buy more of their wine!!!

Me - I take everyone as they come and only dislike individuals.
Have a nice day now!!!
Duncan

They don't like having to rely on anyone I think

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol Shot Loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!