What's the best .45 ACP for $650 or less?

PDA

Troy26
February 14, 2006, 01:28 PM
I know there are many fine quality .45 ACP's for more, but hey...my budget is what it is ya know?

Let teh flame wars begin :cuss: !

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best .45 ACP for $650 or less?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Northslope Nimrod
February 14, 2006, 01:37 PM
1911 platform or any platform?

OTOH... Is there any other platform in 45 than the 1911?

Troy26
February 14, 2006, 01:45 PM
Just whatever you think is the best choice I guess (and please tell me why). If you have more than one, that's fine too.

I'll take all the info I can get.

gt3944
February 14, 2006, 01:47 PM
Taurus Millenium Pro PT145 :D

jmorris
February 14, 2006, 01:49 PM
Springfield

Troy26
February 14, 2006, 01:52 PM
Springfield

The 1911 or the XD?

Helstrm
February 14, 2006, 01:53 PM
For that money get a Springfield, Add a few $$ to that and you can get a nice Champion model. But for less than you budget you can get a mil-Spec and They have a great warranty. Fire right out of the box.

You need to let us know what this pistol will be used for before we can give you too much info, Carry, Home defense or target..

Troy26
February 14, 2006, 01:59 PM
You need to let us know what this pistol will be used for before we can give you too much info, Carry, Home defense or target..[/QUOTE]

Good point. Home defense...mabe for carry on occasion, but my Springfield XD Sub-Compact will do that most of the time.

AK103K
February 14, 2006, 02:02 PM
SIG P220.

I bought both of mine used, one without night sights, that was lightly used for $450, and the other with night sights, that looked unfired, for $550.

Marshall
February 14, 2006, 02:08 PM
But for less than you budget you can get a mil-Spec and They have a great warranty. Fire right out of the box.

In relation to reliability, are you limited to ball ammo with the Mil Spec since there's no feed ramp and it's mag fed?

Helstrm
February 14, 2006, 02:17 PM
Funny you should ask. Did a ramp job after recoating my RIA and she now feeds anything.

robertbank
February 14, 2006, 02:18 PM
Assume we are talking 1911 format. If that is the case get yourself a new/used Norinco. They haven't been imported into the States for some time now but new ones can be found and/or good used ones. They are built like tanks, utterley reliable. We can still get them up here new. I have four a 9MM 1911 as well as two A1, one fully done up and one left original. They are accurate, all forged parts and well made. Interior finish where it doesn't count is rough more on the lines of WW11 type pistol.
I have yet to have a FTF in any of mine with everything from 185 gr HP Jacketed to 230 gr ball and everything in between.

Stay Safe

Troy26
February 14, 2006, 02:29 PM
I'm not necessarily sold on the 1911 format. I admit I know little about the differences between 1911 and other .45 acp, so I'm trying to keep my mind open and learn all I can.

dmallind
February 14, 2006, 02:38 PM
Well how about a couple of options then:

SW1911 Stainless - SWs make very good reliable, OOTB 1911s for (relatively speaking in 1911 land) budget prices. Here's one:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43764444

Advantages - will probably not NEED tweaking like some other 1911s but can be upgraded or customized as time and funds permit - nothing has as many drop in options as a 1911. you will get a nice workmanlike example of one of the quintessential gun platforms. 1911s for many people (me included) re their favorite platforms for pure shooting fun. Addictive though - you have been warned

Next option:

Glock 21 or 30 depending on size preference. Easily found for just over $500 you could have this with nightsights and a chunk of ammo for your budget.

Advantages - simplest manual of arms out there, incredible reliability and durability. Will ALWAYS go bang. Surprisingly good real world accuracy (the G30 is still a shock to me - how such a compact not overly tight package can be so accurate). Glock parts and gunsmiths are everywhere, and will function exactly the same as any other Glock if you decide to branch out in other calibers. The G30 is my "always loaded and handy" defense pistol of choice. Not as elegant as the 1911 sure, but simpler, better chance of 100% reliability, and cheaper.

Troy26
February 14, 2006, 02:44 PM
The G30 is my "always loaded and handy" defense pistol of choice. Not as elegant as the 1911 sure, but simpler, better chance of 100% reliability, and cheaper.

How much of a difference in reliablity is there? Also, what do you mean by "simpler?"

Kramer Krazy
February 14, 2006, 03:11 PM
If you aren't looking at 1911s, I'd probably go with a S&W 4566, 4506, or other "45" model. They are built like tanks and seem to run quite reliably. You can find ex-cop ones for under $400, every now and again. My wife picked up a 4566 for $390 a couple of months ago. New ones run around $650-$750.

SnakeEater
February 14, 2006, 03:35 PM
Don't pay any attention to the above responses, you could squeeze an HK USP into the picture for $650, everything else pales in comparison.:neener: :evil:

On a side note, I bought a PT145 MP today. 250rds without a hiccup. Very nice considering the $300 price tag.

Ala Dan
February 14, 2006, 03:52 PM
$650 could get you into a lot of good choices~!:uhoh:

Close to a Springfield Stainless "Loaded" 1911, an XD .45ACP for sure.
Glock 21 or 30 is assured, Certified Pre-Owned SIG P220 is a certainy.
Ruger KP-345, P90, or P-97, with NO problem. Close on an H&K USP.
Positive on a Taurus Mil Pro, or a 24-7 for that matter~!:D

Okiecruffler
February 14, 2006, 04:22 PM
I just bought a Charles Daly for under 4bills. Had some problems with feeding on the first couple of mags, but now 1,200 rds down the road it eats everything except my mild loaded SWC's.

Technosavant
February 14, 2006, 04:24 PM
Lots of good choices there.

The SA XD 45 is an object of lust, but finding one won't be easy for the near future.

A used Sig wouldn't be bad, I don't know if the "factory certified" ones are in this price range, but it depends on how willing you are to buy used (I am not too willing, myself).

For 1911s, there are a truckload of options- basic models like a Springfield GI or Mil-Spec will leave you plenty of ammo money, and you can probably fine a loaded model at the upper end of that range. A Colt Series 80 (1991A1) would be in that price range, and maybe a Kimber. Of course, let's not forget Para-Ordnance, Taurus (the newcomer), etc. Pretty much no current production 1911 is a steaming pile of junk- occasional examples will be, but in general, they are pretty reliable.

HK is also good, but also at the upper end.

If you want to conceal it, I would go with a 1911. If not, pick what you want (single or double action, light rail, etc.) on the gun and see if they fit your hand. My choice for a non-1911 would be an XD, but I have been lusting after those for some time, anyway.

Northslope Nimrod
February 14, 2006, 04:32 PM
Remember 1911's are to be carried Cocked and Locked. If you are OK with that then they are the way to go IMO. They will be more enjoyable at the range.
If you aren't carrying it concealed.....then get a full size steel framed model.
To keep cost to a reasonable level....I recommend Springfield 1911 or Smith and Wesson. S&W are making good 1911's now.

Other than 1911's I would consider Sigs (for mucho $$) or H&K (mucho $$) or an XD (less $).

Edited to add: Oops I forgot the $650 limit. You can get some 1911's in that range or the XD.

AK103K
February 14, 2006, 04:44 PM
A used Sig wouldn't be bad, I don't know if the "factory certified" ones are in this price range, but it depends on how willing you are to buy used (I am not too willing, myself).
I've actually had more problems with new Springfield and Kimber 1911's than I have with my used SIG's. I've had zero problems with the SIG's, new or used. They are one of the few 99.9% reliable pistols I've owned and scary accurate.

1911's, while usually plenty accurate, can by iffy on reliability. The only ones I ever had 99.9% reliability from where my Colts, and they were the only ones I was comfortable carrying.

Ala Dan
February 14, 2006, 04:51 PM
A basic NIB Kimber Custom II can be had in Alabama for $639.88~!:uhoh: :D

dmallind
February 14, 2006, 05:58 PM
How much of a difference in reliablity is there? Also, what do you mean by "simpler?"

Well flame wars have started for less but let's see if I can make this uncontroversial, especially as I straddle both camps, loving both Glocks and 1911s

1911s, if you get a good one or if you have it tuned and tweaked to be good, can be as reliable as anything.

However, even the most passionate fan of 1911s usually must admit that the record for reliability out of the box is not 100% or close to it when taken across all brands/models. Generally speaking there is a greater chance a 1911 will need some tweaking than, well most brands but Glocks certainly. You can reduce (not eliminate) the chance of a 1911 needing some work to be reliable by doing the following:

1) Buy a full size Government model (shorter the barrel, more risk of unreliability)
2) Buy from a reputable name in the mainstream, neither junk nor high end custom (like Ferraris, 1911 exotica may need extra TLC)
3)Use FMJ ammo preferably big name 230gr. The recoil setups on some 1911s are picky and most are preconfigured for 230gr. The FMJ thing is to help feeding relaibility
4)Use good magazines - Wilson 47Ds are especially well thought of in most (not all) cases

Now nothing in this says that there aren't thousands of people who bought 3.5" barrel 1911s and started firing Bubba Reloads 185gr JHPs fed from MecGar or whatever magazines and had zero trouble. They really exist. There are no real hard and fast rules about 1911 reliability. Sometimes you get lucky with even the riskiest configuration

However again your CHANCE of being 100% reliable is lower in 1911s than Glocks. Very few people report reliability issues with Glocks. They sell by the boatload and almost every Glock buyer says they are reliable. Some may hate the grip or dislike the look or the trigger - but very few will say "the bugger didn't go bang". Now no company is perfect and Glock QC can and no doubt has missed a lemon or two, but it's rare. The most Glock-loathing poster on here (and they are legion) will normally admit that - especially for the 9mm or double stack .45 calibers.

As for simpler - 1911 veterans will tell you they are simple and yes after some practice they usually are (unless they have overtight bushings or slide stops). However I have a lousy mechanical aptitude and learned to field strip a Glock in 15 seconds after first holding one. Essentially empty the gun, pull the trigger, hold down two tabs, pull the slide off. Done. 1911s have slide stops to align, plugs (usually) under pressure from recoil springs held down by bushings and so on. Glocks are easier period. Doesn't mean you need to be a mechanic to strip and reassemble a 1911, but I think few people can honestly claim they never sent a recoil spring plug into their ceiling and/or put an idiot scratch on a frame reinserting a slide stop when they first started.

Sigs are great, HKs are great. Other brands are great too. Taurus and XD are putting out some interesting .45s lately for sure, but to me making your choice between the elegant and customizable 1911 and the 100% reliable/durable mid-price Glock is a great place to start.

AS ALWAYS - make sure what you buy fits your hand and points well for you. Gun stores selling anything you have been recommended - and certainly Glocks and 1911s - are easy to find so you can compare and get some other data (for example Glocks generally run 10oz at least lighter than 1911s - you may prefer one or the other). Glocks especially tend to have love it or hate it ergonomics. Getting a gun someone else loves but doesn't fit you is a recipe for disappointment. To wit - one of the most oft recommended guns on THR is the CZ75. People love that thing - but I just can't get comfy holding it at all. Subjectivity is the name of the game and only you can see what's comfortable to you.

ulflyer
February 14, 2006, 06:59 PM
Colt NRM. Fewer MIM parts than any other. Better/easier resell should you later decide to do it. Several here in your price range:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/search.cgi

Edited to add: I'm big on Norinco 1911's too...hard to beat if you can find one at a fair price. The prices have been climbing lately, but occasionally you can find one for $400 or less.

runninmike
February 14, 2006, 07:14 PM
I found a pre-owned, unfired P220 for $600. I like it very much, it goes bang every time.
Best-MC

GoRon
February 14, 2006, 07:22 PM
I am a huge 1911 fan.

Having stipulated the superiority of the greatest handgun ever designed, I will also point you to the new XD 45acp.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/45acp/ItsHere.gif

LINK (http://www.springfield-armory.com/index.shtml)

If you don't want a 1911 it is hard to argue with a great platform like the XD with 14 rounds on tap!!

kennyboy
February 14, 2006, 07:47 PM
Get a Glock. You can get a new Glock at www.gtdist.com for $465 + $60 for night sights = $525 or at www.topglock.com for a little more. Glocks are extremely durable, light, accurate, and reliable. That is why so many law enforcement agencies/military groups favor Glocks. Plus, the Glock 21 (full sized .45) has a standard mag capacity of 13 rounds, not including one in the chamber (total of 14). Extra mags can be found for under $20. There are plenty of accessories including flashlights, lasers, high cap magazines, etc. ready for Glocks. Additionally, Glocks can be purchased in OD green which looks really sharp. The only downside to Glocks, as with other similar pistols is that lead ammo is not to be used.

Sigs and H&Ks are terrific. However, Sigs have a low mag capacity, are slightly heavier, and are priced higher. The H&K MK21 is an excellent gun. Unfortunately, finding one for less than $700 in new condition is near impossible. Plus, the H&K holds 1 less round than the Glock. Plus, additional mags will run over $40 for the H&K.

1911 style pistols are cut and dry solid, reliable, proven tackdrivers. However, a brand name (Colt, S&W, Springfield, Kimber, Para Ordnance) model in the plainest model will cost nearly $500. The better models with custom features such as skeleton hammers, special finishes, special grips, trigger jobs, etc. can cost, on average, $700-1000+. 1911s generally have mag capacities of only 8-10 rounds.

Any .45 you buy, I think you'll like, but for under $650 you can buy a Glock and have a proven, trusted pistol and still have some money in your pockets. Just ask anyone who has a Glock. They probably do not complain.

SFvet
February 14, 2006, 10:31 PM
I know there are many fine quality .45 ACP's for more, but hey...my budget is what it is ya know?

I got my Sig Sauer P220 for $620+tx as a retail gun.

.40-.45
February 14, 2006, 11:17 PM
I paid around that for my Custom II Kimber

so now I don't need a 45 acp ( :eek: who in the hell said that!!!!)

sorry there is a good chance my next 45acp will be a XD-45 I love my 40 and
hi cap 45 acp would be fun!!!!!!!!

.40-.45

f4t9r
February 14, 2006, 11:27 PM
I highly recommend the SIG P220
great gun , worth checking one out

Black Majik
February 14, 2006, 11:29 PM
There are 4 guns that I can think of from the top of my head.

There isn't really a best since we dunno what you criteria for "best" is.

1) Springfield Armory 1911 GI

2) Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec

3) Springfield Armory XD45

4) CPO SIG Sauer P220

For me, I prefer 1911s, but the P220 would be a close second. I've shot the XD's before, but not in .45 ACP, but I honestly feel that it'd be a strong contender.

Also check out the CZ97 and Glock 21.

scubie02
February 15, 2006, 12:00 AM
you can get a springfield park'd loaded for $650. Mine's never had a failure and will do one ragged hole groups. I actually have 3 springfields and a S&W that have all been failure free.

The xd's are also nice--I've got two of those as well. I've owned sig's and walther's etc, but still have my 1911's and xd's.

45R
February 15, 2006, 02:12 AM
My choice for the BEST 45ACP is the P220

1911 guy
February 15, 2006, 08:51 AM
If you want a carry pistol for accuracy to 25 yards or so, go with a RIA or CD. They're not as pretty, but reliable and accurate enough for serious work. Higher priced pistols will get you more accuracy and there's nothing wrong with carrying one, but I prefer to wear the bluing off a less expensive but just as reliable pistol. Springfield Mil-Spec, I'm sure one or more Kimber models (get internal extractor) or the S&W 1911 will fit that bill.

dhoomonyou
February 15, 2006, 10:02 AM
Glock 30.

1911JMB
February 15, 2006, 11:56 AM
Buy used, and take your pick.

Troy26
February 20, 2006, 01:17 PM
Taurus Millenium Pro PT145 :D

Is there a problem with stability when you fire the .45 ACP from such a small frame?

TheEgg
February 20, 2006, 03:13 PM
Since I see only one other has mentioned this pistol, I will toss in another "hey, don't forget" for the Ruger P90 in .45 acp.

Durable, rugged, reliable, and a soft shooter. Excellent price.

A lot of people ignore the Ruger Semi-Autos, and that is a shame.

gudel
February 20, 2006, 03:18 PM
under $650, you want new or used?

mainmech48
February 20, 2006, 03:38 PM
Lots of new options retailing under your price right now. It's a good time to be a buyer, all-in-all.

Springfield's new XD-45 and the Taurus 24/7 have been getting a lot of favorable press. Cynicism aside, it can't all be hype.

Ruger's new 345 has, too. And they're all often found nicely discounted from MSRP.

My personal favorite is the CZ 97-B. I got mine for well under $500 NIB. Soft-shooting, tough, reliable and very, very accurate.

Braden
February 20, 2006, 03:42 PM

Glock 21
Glock 30
Glock 36

Any one of the above...or all three. Get the gun and two mags for $500 and you'll have $150 left for practice ammo. ;)

Of course, I must admit that I'm biased. :D

azredhawk44
February 20, 2006, 03:57 PM
For HD and occasional carry, huh?

G21 is a bit big for occasional carry unless you don't mind telegraphing to the world that you are strapped with a hand cannon.

I own one. It is doing HD duty right now. My "out of the house" guns are either an XD9 4" or a ruger sp101 3".

G30 is a good compromise between concealability and firepower. I think it is 10+1 for standard mags, and can take G21 mags for HD purposes to give you the 13+1 firepower of the G21.

I also own an inexpensive 1911. A Charles Daly Empire, I picked up used for about $250. It is purely a hobby gun. It is 99% reliable, but the glock is 100% reliable.

I despise S&W's autos. I've shot 3 different ones and can't stand them. Yuck. YMMV.

Can't comment on Taurii.

I'd suggest a G30 with tritium sights and the two standard mags that come with it, and one extra G21 mag for when it lives in the nightstand.

psychophipps
February 20, 2006, 08:45 PM
My Ruger P97DC shoots like a dream out of the box. Reliable as the sun, smooth trigger, inexpensive, feeds anything, consistent accuracy with all the loads I've tried so far, light weight, reasonably accurate, and has very manageable recoil for it's light weight. In fact, with all of the gun mag guys going on and on with what I've just said, I find it very confusing that one hell of a lot more people don't own Rugers. :P

Guess they just aren't 'high speed/low drag' enough...
Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

ajoker31
February 21, 2006, 11:02 PM
Troy,

I like cheap and reliable. I have expensive guns....but I really enjoy the cheap workhorses. My Bersa .380 and Ruger P95 get a lot of attention and I'm getting the PT145 (hopefully) this week. I've seen so many good reviews on it for a small CCW pistol that I'm sold. I really like the feel, concealability and the 10+1 capacity.

I don't have any problems with any of my guns, springfield, colt......etc. But if you can get a tool that does the job without paying a mint....go for it. I think the PT-145 suits my needs for a large caliber CCW pistol perfectly.

Jerry

Dadx4
February 22, 2006, 12:09 AM
Another (strong) vote for Ruger. I totally love my P90. Yeah, it's "chunky looking" (like an Abrams tank) and there are sexier looking guns out there, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is totally reliable and makes me look like a better shooter than I am with its accuracy.

I got mine with Hogue grips and an extra magazine for $399 new.

One note - I have large hands, so the P90's grip fits me perfectly. If it is to thick for you, try the P97 or P345, both of which have thinner grips.

RAZOR65
February 22, 2006, 12:44 AM
i recently picked up the xd .45 service and first day ran couple hundred rounds thru it with no problems , good groups from using
sights and "point and shoot" and i am no expert..good weight and balance , and no more recoil than my baby eagle 9mm..jb

Armis Exposcere Pacem

R.H. Lee
February 22, 2006, 01:32 AM
Glock 21. No funky thumb/grip safeties; no quirky extractors; no MIM parts to break, etc., et yada. Pick it up, squeeze the trigger and it goes bang every time for a long time with no problems. Followup shots are quick, too, once you get the hang of the trigger reset.

Trainman
February 22, 2006, 07:00 AM
I believe dmallind said it best back on #24. Look at em all. Buy the one that is best for you. There are a LOT of good firearms out there for sale, but only a few of them will be ones that YOU like. It's a subjective thing really.

Personally I like the Taurus PT-145 Mil Pro. But I also like my Bersa .45.

Troy26
February 23, 2006, 01:52 PM
Troy,

I like cheap and reliable. I have expensive guns....but I really enjoy the cheap workhorses. My Bersa .380 and Ruger P95 get a lot of attention and I'm getting the PT145 (hopefully) this week. I've seen so many good reviews on it for a small CCW pistol that I'm sold. I really like the feel, concealability and the 10+1 capacity.

I don't have any problems with any of my guns, springfield, colt......etc. But if you can get a tool that does the job without paying a mint....go for it. I think the PT-145 suits my needs for a large caliber CCW pistol perfectly.

Jerry

Have you shot one yet? I looked at them. They have gotten some attention on the froumn, which certainly got mine. My only concern was stability for a smaller frame. If I knew they diddn't kick like a mule and could still allow me a good follow-up shot if I needed it, I would highly consider it.

Troy26
February 23, 2006, 01:54 PM
I believe dmallind said it best back on #24. Look at em all. Buy the one that is best for you. There are a LOT of good firearms out there for sale, but only a few of them will be ones that YOU like. It's a subjective thing really.

Personally I like the Taurus PT-145 Mil Pro. But I also like my Bersa .45.

How's the stability on the smaller frame vs. a full-size gun?

RaetherEnt
February 23, 2006, 02:58 PM
I myself shoot a HK USP .45 and my wife has the HK USP .45 compact. We shoot about 400 rounds a week each, and have never had a FTF after owning them almost a year. We both got ours used, and in good shape for less than $600 each. Obviously, there are plently of other .45's out there that can be had in this price range. I have held a XD .45 and it has gotten me thinking...but, I will keep the HK's regardless.

I have yet found a Glock that fits in my hand comfortably, but obviously they are very reliable.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion based on what they own and shoot. I think the key for each individual is simply based on what feels good in your hand, has a reputation for reliability, and is within your means.

ajoker31
February 23, 2006, 07:46 PM
Troy,

I haven't had a chance to shoot the PT-145 yet. It's supposed to be in this week but it still hasn't been delivered. It's been a while since I've shot a .45, but I qualified with them numerous times in my earlier days in the Navy.

When I first qualified, I had no experience at all....it took me a few hundred rounds to really get comfortable with one. The better I got at focusing on my front sight, the less attention I paid to the recoil, the better I became. For me anyway, once you've shot a .45......nothing else really compares. Every gun has it's purpose and I enjoy them all, but I seem to measure everything against a .45 now.

On all the info I've read the PT145 doesn't have a snappy recoil or a lot of muzzle flip (which sounds kind of odd since it's so light). I plan on using it mainly for CCW purposes......although I'd like to be proficient with it at medium range.......for me it's a close range "power" tool in which follow up shots should be a slam dunk. IMHO if I'm firing at any distance for CCW it probably wouldn't be considered self defense in the first place.....and with adrenaline factored in......plus the small barrel and large caliber......I'd probably be firing for affect. Luckily it has 10+1 capacity.

But please don't let anything I say sway you one way or another. I'd like to see you make a choice that works for you. Go out to the local range and play. Find something that works well as a tool for the use you have planned. If your looking for more accuracy and less recoil.....maybe you want to consider a larger framed 9mm and then work yourself into a small framed .45 for your next purchase. Just don't believe that you have to spend a lot of money for a dependable pistol.....that's not always the case.

Hope this helps, good luck partner.

Jerry

Taurus44
February 23, 2006, 08:15 PM
$650 will get you an XD-45ACP AND a kick-ass trigger job, with maybe enough left over to buy an extra magazine :eek:

I don't have the XD-45 (YET!), but I do have two other XDs (9mm sub-compact and a .40 service model) that I am completely enamoured with.

politicalpolls.us
February 23, 2006, 08:34 PM
If I had that money, I'd go buy a used Sig 220 or buy a new Glock 21.

For a more compact weapon a Glock 30.

Unless you're obsessed with nostalgia going to reenact some military exercises from the early 20th century stay away from the 1911. :barf: In that case, also buy a some clothing from the '40s, old style camo, an "I Like Ike" button, and a Willys Jeep.

IS300_TRD
February 24, 2006, 12:50 AM
Got my XD.45 ACP for 468. Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet.

shooter 7
February 24, 2006, 01:43 AM
I'm a CZ97B fan. All steel, full slide length, internal rail slide. Excellent lock up. Great trigger, screw in barrel bushing. Accurate right out of the box. Needs no tweaking to print tight groups. Very reliable, It's built like the CZ75 (which is one fine pistol), design is beefed up to handle .45acp. imho, the best value out there for the price. I might add it's not for small hands, and full frame size poses concealability issues in hot weather. Neither of which are concerns for me.
concise review available @ http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/CZ97B_Review.htm
I recently added one to my small hg collection. Been shooting all manner of handguns for over 30 yrs. I like the CZ best. Consistant, very tight groups, gun shoots better than I do.

Currently:
Beretta 96D .40
S&W J frame .38
Ruger Mk II .22
Ruger security six .357
CZ 75B 9mm
CZ97B .45 acp
Makarov 9x18

Dave Markowitz
February 24, 2006, 09:50 AM
Since I see only one other has mentioned this pistol, I will toss in another "hey, don't forget" for the Ruger P90 in .45 acp.

Durable, rugged, reliable, and a soft shooter. Excellent price.

A lot of people ignore the Ruger Semi-Autos, and that is a shame.

My choice as well.

OldNavy
February 24, 2006, 09:32 PM
There are a number of good serviceable choices mentioned in this thread, but the best choice depends on you. Everyone is different. The particular "feel" or characteristics of one pistol makes it attractive to one person and replusive to another.

I've had Colt 1911's (Mark IV - 70 series) and have carried/shot the GI .45 on occasion during my Navy years. I really wanted to like the 1911, but for some reason it just never was what I wanted.

I had a Glock 19 (9mm). It was a good shooter and reliable, but since I didn't have a holster specifically designed with the Glock trigger in mind, I eventually traded it off.

I have, however, become infatuated with the various Ruger "P"-series pistols. I have a KP95DC 9mm and a KP345PR .45 ACP, and regret selling my KP97DC .45 ACP. New or used, you would have very great difficulty finding better value for the money.

If you are not familiar with the Ruger P-series, you need to know that there are three basic variations (action) in each model number:
P##DC = Decocker: The pistol has a slide mounted lever which will decock the hammer when pressed and then return to the "up" position when released.

P##DAO = Double Action Only: The pistol can only be fired double action and cannot be manually cocked (think double action revolver operation).

P## (no suffix containing the letter "D") = Safety model. It looks and acts a lot like the decocker model except the "safety/decock" lever stays down when pressed. It must be manually returned to the "up" [fire] position. Just my opinion, but I think that the "safety" models should be avoided like the plague. Unlike a 1911, you cannot carry any Ruger P-series pistol cocked-and-locked, and there is no detent to retain the safety in the "fire" position. Depressing the safety always decocks the pistol. In a design such as this, the "safety" makes less sense than a safety on a double action only revolver.

ajoker31
February 25, 2006, 12:37 PM
I agree with "Old Navy"/fellow Pensacola Sailor. Although I'm looking at a Taurus Milpro for CCW, my Ruger P95 (9mm) is an outstanding pistol. The P series Rugers don't look pretty to everyone.....but I love em......and they just plain get the job done all the time.

Jerry

TimboKhan
February 26, 2006, 04:36 AM
For my money, if you can find yourself a Ruger P-90, you will be darn glad you did. Well under 650.00 and as reliable as can be. Yes, they are ugly to some although I have always though they looked cool, and there is no denying that they are big guns, but I wouldn't trade mine off for anything. In fact, mine will most likely be the last .45 I ever specifically purchase. I won't discount finding a bargain on something I can't pass up, but as far as specifically going out .45 shopping, I am done. If you happen to purchase one of these, I strongly suggest also purchasing a set of Hogue wrap-around grips for it as well. For me at least, putting those grips on made the gun fit in my hand like a glove. I also can recommend the Taurus 24/7 in .45. I have one in 9mm and I have been VERY impressed with it. Both of these guns, new, run somewhere in the neighborhood of 400.00 or less, and while I actually haven't seen a 24/7 used yet to compare, I have seen P-90s as low as 250.00 or so, although it is more likely that you will pay somewhere around 300.00.

panzermk2
February 26, 2006, 03:02 PM
It's hard to beet the price and quality of a EAA Witness.
this is polymer frame version even has light rail. There are compact and full size versions and also in steel. I dodnot know your hand size but for a double stack they are narrow and fit most hands. they all retail around 489.00
but you can find them for less online.

POLY
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/panzermk2/WITNESSPolymer45acpwithrail.jpg

STEEL
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/panzermk2/WComp.jpg

sfhogman
February 26, 2006, 03:12 PM
I have to go along with Shooter7; I couldn't have said it better. You really owe it to yourself to check out a CZ97B.

Jeff

Curare
March 5, 2006, 12:43 AM
Hell for stout, suprisingly accurate, and as reliable as gravity.

candr44
March 5, 2006, 01:16 AM
I vote for the CZ97B. I just bought a new one for $469. CZ makes a good quality and accurate gun. It is a big gun but it fits my hand comfortably and I am average size.

bobb_topgun
March 5, 2006, 01:28 AM
You really should consider the CZ 97B .45 ACP?

MSRP is $663. Street prices for new are anywhere from around $475-$550.

Just may be worth a look.

Here's a link to the CZ-USA 97B info:
http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=43

Attached is a great pic of a CZ 97B:

SRFL
March 5, 2006, 03:21 AM
The Sig P220 or P245 or various 1911's by Springfield Armory, Kimber or others are outstanding guns, but I add that the Kahr P45 is a great .45 ACP....which will be joined by Kahr's upcoming TP45 and PM45 (which Justin Moon told me during SHOT Show may or may not be produced.....yeah right....who ya fooling there buddy. :D )

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/srfl/Kahrs/KahrP452Target2.jpg

The Beretta Cougar 8045F and MiniCougar 8045F are also outstand, albeit discontinued, pistols....one day Beretta will be introducing their Px4 Storm in .45 ACP....alas, who knows when that day will be.

Big Gay Al
March 6, 2006, 06:28 AM
It's hard to beet the price and quality of a EAA Witness.
this is polymer frame version even has light rail. There are compact and full size versions and also in steel. I dodnot know your hand size but for a double stack they are narrow and fit most hands. they all retail around 489.00
but you can find them for less online.
I agree with panzermk2. I just picked an EAA Witness full size, steel frame Wonder finish .45ACP for less than $400.00. I've also ordered the 10mm conversion kit for it too. It feels great in the hand, and points rather naturally.
http://www.albertlowe.com/images/mywitness.jpg

VBVAGUY
January 5, 2012, 07:09 PM
Taurus 24/7 G2. God Bless :)

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best .45 ACP for $650 or less?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!