the "best" autoloading .22lr pistol?

PDA

mdmcs1
February 14, 2006, 02:50 PM
hello all!

just a quick question:

what is (in your opinion) the best .22LR pistol out there right now for a cheap price? i just want a fun plinker to play with

let me know what all of ya think!

thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "the "best" autoloading .22lr pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Khornet
February 14, 2006, 02:58 PM
for my money, best buy is a Ruger MkII or MkIII. Reliable, accurate, simple, affordable. Usable for match shooting if you ever get the bug.

Others here favor Browning Buckmark, but I wasn't too impressed.

Beretta has a futuristic gun called Neos which some here have liked.

SIG/Hammerli makes the Trailside, probably a bit pricier than you want but a good gun.

S&W 422 is a good basic plinker.

Just my 2 cents. I'd go with the Ruger every time for what you seem to want.

Frandy
February 14, 2006, 03:09 PM
the best .22LR pistol out there right now for a cheap price? i just want a fun plinker to play with

I have and really like my Trailside. But, given your criteria, get a used or new Ruger MKI, MKII, or MKIII.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=32732&d=1134936099

EddieCoyle
February 14, 2006, 03:32 PM
+2 on the Ruger. The can be found for less than $300 new and less than $200 used. It's a fun and accurate gun too.

Kramer Krazy
February 14, 2006, 04:29 PM
I'd vote for a Ruger MkII, also.....I'm sure my wife would vote for a S&W 22A, like her 22A-1 with bull barrel.

Ala Dan
February 14, 2006, 04:53 PM
Browning Buckmark Plus, without a doubt~!:uhoh: :D

Brian Williams
February 14, 2006, 06:00 PM
I gotta vote for a Colt Woodsman, I paid $265 for mine. Good luck finding one as good as mine for that. Mine is about 40% blue but shoots like a house afire.
I had a Ruger MKII and really liked it but with this Colt I was not shooting it so I sold it.

EddieCoyle
February 14, 2006, 07:33 PM
I gotta vote for a Colt Woodsman, I paid $265 for mine. Good luck finding one as good as mine for that. Mine is about 40% blue but shoots like a house afire.
I had a Ruger MKII and really liked it but with this Colt I was not shooting it so I sold it.

If I could find a decent Woodsman for $265, I'd sell my Ruger too.

borrowedtime69
February 15, 2006, 12:48 AM
Rugerger MK II only, 22/45's, i own three of them for very good reasons, they work, they last, theyre accurate.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/362269.jpg

:neener: -Eric

C-grunt
February 15, 2006, 01:27 AM
Dont overlook the Walther. Its probably not as accurate as the Rugers, but it is smaller and lighter.

backlash
February 15, 2006, 11:54 AM
That Neos looks like it belongs in a space movie or something. I've shot one at the range several times. Fun to shoot, pretty accurate for a range rental that was dirty as fack too. My friend just bought one, picks it up on Tuesday :)

island
February 15, 2006, 02:46 PM
Not to hijack, but doesn't anyone else find the Ruger's a pain to break down to clean?

I've been looking at alternatives just for that reason....

Black Majik
February 15, 2006, 03:00 PM
Do you have a 1911? Get a Marvel .22 Kit for around $250.

1911 goodness, 1911 fun, 1911 trigger, .22 costs :D

For regular pistols the Ruger MkII and SIG Traislide are high on my list

Vern Humphrey
February 15, 2006, 03:01 PM
Not to hijack, but doesn't anyone else find the Ruger's a pain to break down to clean?

I've been looking at alternatives just for that reason....

The one thing that got me when they announced the MK III was their failure to make stripping simpler. Things like a button magazine release are nice, and a loaded chamber indicator pretty useless -- but easier stripping? I'd have bought an MK III if they had done that.

carlrodd
February 15, 2006, 03:05 PM
somebody mentioned walther....so what about it? my friend has a p22 and it's hella fun to shoot. we hit paper at 50 yards with it.

mdmcs1
February 15, 2006, 03:36 PM
ok guys, i went and did it last night.....

i picked up a Walther P22 with lazer... AND a Ruger MKIII Target.....

i like them both, and the wife really wanted the P22

now i just cant wait to go shoot them!

mdmcs1
February 15, 2006, 03:37 PM
oh yes, and i do have a 1911a1... been thinking about that .22 converson also - does it work as well as i think it will? anyone got any experience with it?

Black Majik
February 15, 2006, 04:36 PM
Well, I do have a Marvel Unit, which is probably the best kit for the .22.

I have had great luck with it. Its very accurate, its reliable with hotter loads and it just keeps shooting.

I put the kit on my Colt Government frame, which has a trigger job done to it. The heavier steel frame with the .22 is an absolute joy too shoot. Very little recoil, great trigger, super accurate, what more can you ask for.

It is pricier than the rest, but its for a good reason

You wont be disappointed! :)

Vern Humphrey
February 15, 2006, 05:03 PM
I really like my Colt Service Ace kit (1970s era with the famous or infamous floating chamber.) It will shoot right in there with my Ruger MK II.

innerpiece9
February 15, 2006, 06:09 PM
Im very interested in hearing how youre p22 works for you!
Im considering one.

green98cavy
February 15, 2006, 06:46 PM
I have a S&W 22A, great gun, just a tad picky on the ammo.

My girlfriend has a Ruger Mk1 that her father gave to her. It hadn't been moved in about 8 years, but it was cleaned and oiled before going into the safe. I disassembled and cleaned it, and once I figured out the trick to reassembly, this thing has been unstoppable. No matter what ammo I feed it, it works great. Not bad for a .22 Semi made in 1962.

Vern Humphrey
February 15, 2006, 06:51 PM
I have a S&W 22A, great gun, just a tad picky on the ammo.

My girlfriend has a Ruger Mk1 that her father gave to her. It hadn't been moved in about 8 years, but it was cleaned and oiled before going into the safe. I disassembled and cleaned it, and once I figured out the trick to reassembly, this thing has been unstoppable. No matter what ammo I feed it, it works great. Not bad for a .22 Semi made in 1962.

I've always thought the Ruger pistol was the gold standard of .22 automatics -- at least since Colt stopped making the Woodsman.

pauli
February 15, 2006, 07:32 PM
while it's somewhat academic at this point, i would personally save for the trailside. they're worth it.

Rob1035
February 15, 2006, 07:38 PM
CDNN has trailsides starting at $299, not a lot more money than a new Ruger.

For me personally, the Ruger MKII series is where its at, although I wouldn't mind a conversion for my glock

Hagen442
February 16, 2006, 08:06 PM
I have got to put in my opinion: The High Standard Supermatic.
If you can find one you will love the gun.

m14nut
February 16, 2006, 08:32 PM
a used Buckmark standard.:cool:

Heavy Barrel
February 16, 2006, 08:36 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/Bill413x2/MVC-023S.jpg

Savage.250
February 17, 2006, 10:16 PM
Ruger's got my vote.

I have my father's old Ruger Standard (not MKI, II, or III) .22. Years ago, (1961), he cut a "v" notch in tiny piece of wood and stuck it in the rear sight and put a thin white line on the front blade for a "finer" sight. Nice shooting accurate autoloader.
I too had difficulty disassembling this gun for cleaning due to the fact that for a couple years it was only shot once in a while. By the time I would field strip it for cleaning I would have to start over learning how to do it. I finally sat down one night disassembling and reassembing the Ruger four or five times. Turned out to be a snap once you learn the trick.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/SE-CalSerialHistory.html

February 17, 2006, 10:17 PM
as many have already mentioned, rugers are hard to beat ;)

rbernie
February 17, 2006, 10:23 PM
Buckmark.

dam8
February 17, 2006, 11:01 PM
Rugers are great guns and for the price hard to beat. I could never bet comfortable with the breakdown. to each their own. I vote for the izh 35m.at the price of a slabside ruger but in the league of hammerli,pardini and other competition 22s

kennyboy
February 18, 2006, 12:27 PM
I really do not have much 1st hand experience. I have shot the S&W semi. My relative owns a Ruger MKII with bull barrel and loves it. The Ruger has withstood the test of time and now is available in many MKIII models. Anyway, .22 is an easy caliber for gun makers to work with and any gun you buy, I think you will be happy with it.

wally
February 18, 2006, 01:42 PM
Sure the Rugers are a PITA to takedown, it gets easier with practice, but you can go many thousands of rounds with a .22 and a can of spray brake parts cleaner and a little Break-Free or FP10.

On the SIG trailside, check the price and availablity of extra mags, might influence your decision ...

Best feature of our Neos is CDNN has had Neos mags on sale for $10 each for a long time. I've managed to accumulate enough now that its great to show up at the range with 300 rounds in mags ready to go! Still I've spent more on extra mags than I did on the gun :) But spread over the last year or so its not so bad, and my wife loves it, and it makes her much more intrested in going to the range as loading mags is tough on her nails, and she's spent more on them than I did on the mags :)

I don't think there is a .22 that is not fun to shoot! Even my Jennings J22 is a hoot when it works :) which it generally does for a box or two of ammo before needing cleaning.

--wally.

Pilot
February 18, 2006, 03:52 PM
Ruger MKII or 22/45 or the Buckmark.

v35
February 18, 2006, 09:46 PM
+1 on the Neos... Although I can't compare it to anything else since it's the only 22 I've ever used.

The quality of manufacture seems quite good, with mostly metal parts. I'm a little perplexed about the design that's used to secure the barrel though. The barrel is secured to the frame with a knulred screw forward of the trigger guard. A locking pin keeps the screw from rotating. To disassemble the barrel you depress the pin which unlocks the screw so you can loosen it. When it's depressed, a sharp edge protrudes from the other end of the pin. You have to loosen the screw with your fingers applying force in the direction of the sharp edge. Seems like Beretta should have included a box a Band-Aids. Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I put 100 rounds through mine for the first time today and I still can't get the grin off my face! No problems. I was delighted to find the sights were perfect. Practically no recoil just lots of bang and smoke and :D :D :D

I think the Trailside is a much nicer appearance if that matters to you. The Neos just looks weird. But I got it for practice and as such, it suits me fine.

22 sure is fun. Cheap entertainment.

Brass Balls
February 18, 2006, 10:23 PM
The best and cheap don't go together well. Although I can understand not everybody wants to fork out $700+ for a S&W 41. I know I didn't want to. Bought a Browning Buckmark instead and I've been really happy with it.

When I was choosing between the Ruger and the Browning I found them quite similar, although one thing that stands out that I like better on the Browning is that the mag release is in the standard position for a defense pistol.

clic pic

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/images/051398m.jpg (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/category.asp?value=006B)

This is the one I got, but Browning has quite an assortment of different styles which you can check out by clicking on the photo.

mdmcs1
February 21, 2006, 12:23 AM
well, here is the report:

i shot the walther P22 first today. after i quit messing with the lazer sight that comes with it - and started using the normal sights, all was great - the lazer seems to move each time you fire the gun, and after adjusting it serveral times, i got tired of messing with it. it gets ya in the general area is about all.

as for how well it fires - wow, that little gun is fun - i love it. and with that short barrel, it really sounds mean too! definately gets a smile by me.

now, i also got a chance to shoot the ruger 22/45 MKIII target pistol.
that was as perfect as i could possibly hope for - what an awsome gun, even with the crappiest cheap .22 ammo i put in it, it still shot so well, and is very accurate.

both of these are great guns, thanks for you help guys!

rchernandez
February 21, 2006, 12:30 AM
Best "plinker", my favorite...

ROBO4642
February 21, 2006, 12:50 AM
I love my walther P22. Its a nice break from my hand cannons. Its fun and cycles very well. I bought mine for my wife and she loves it. I recomend the extended mags, they make the gun much more comfortable.

Quickdraw Limpsalot
February 21, 2006, 08:52 AM
If I couldn't have my MkIII 22/45, I'd have to have a Buckmark. They're both "the best" for my needs.

JMusic
February 21, 2006, 09:48 AM
Well know the S&W model 41 is pricey but will outshoot many rifles. The p22 works well for me I have had one for a couple years. The 1911 conversions are a ball also. I've really never liked the Rugers for some reason. Don't forget about the S&W model 17 and 617 if you decide on a revolver.

johnnytang24
February 21, 2006, 10:19 AM
I have a Ruger MkIII and a Trailside. The Trailside is noticably nicer, although that's not to say the Ruger is poor in any way.

Thanks.

Peter M. Eick
February 22, 2006, 09:02 PM
I am pretty fond of this one:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/eickpm/87t_020406.jpg

60 shots per target, offhand, 15 yards, Beretta 87t.

Had a Ruger Bull Barrel and this one is definately better!

If you enjoyed reading about "the "best" autoloading .22lr pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!