speaking of ballistic gelatin...

PDA

280PLUS
April 13, 2003, 08:10 PM
is there a recipe so i can make it my self?

or

where can i get some?

i want to do some testing of my own...

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "speaking of ballistic gelatin..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
12-34hom
April 13, 2003, 08:17 PM
If i saw some testing matrix with cut up banana's inside it, i know i'd feel a whole lot better.

12-34hom

coonan357
April 13, 2003, 08:22 PM
try knox geletin co of Iowa , jello goes great after every gunfight ain't that right 12-34 hom ??:D

I prefer mine with mandrin oranges ... but banana's are good too !!

280PLUS
April 13, 2003, 08:24 PM
any flavor will work as long as theres fruit in it...:rolleyes:

least ways,,,when i'm done i'll be able to have a tasty snack while i go over my findings...

:D

coonan357
April 13, 2003, 08:34 PM
ballistic geletin is much thicker than store bought brands , but I am sure that if you want to try to add less water you might come up with something acceptable ,just saty away from the lime , gets kind of pungent when thickened up .. and pineapples thin out the mixture . :D seriously on tfl there was a thread on where to get it .

Mike Irwin
April 13, 2003, 08:59 PM
Here you go.

http://www.vyse.com/gelatin_for_ballistic_testing.htm

zahc
April 13, 2003, 09:25 PM
I always wonder what BG feels like.:scrutiny:

SDC
April 13, 2003, 09:30 PM
It mixes up the same way as Jello (tm), but turns a lot stiffer as it cures (sort of like "jiggly" wax); I had the misfortune to help mix up a batch when I was helping out in a class on wound ballistics. The worst part about it is that it smells like a dead dog in July, and you have to prepare it to a very specific mix at a specific temperature, or else it won't be calibrated properly. HTH

280PLUS
April 13, 2003, 09:50 PM
dead dog in july,,,can't wait:barf:

thanx for the link mike...

Mike Irwin
April 13, 2003, 10:57 PM
"smells like a dead dog in july"

That's being EXCEEDINGLY polite about the smell, too.

I've dealt with the stuff twice, and never wish to again.

280PLUS
April 14, 2003, 08:15 AM
now i really cant wait:)

all i really want to do is compare the spread of the federal vs georgia .32 mag

so i'm thinking if i come up with something similar that is not necessarily calibrated but from the same batch so they are identical in consistency, i should be able to achieve the results i'm looking for.

i just want to be able to trap and retrieve the rounds in a soft medium to compare them. nothing too ultra scientific.

now i'm thinking,,,

a little (ok, a lot) jello (not lime)

less hot water

i like fruit cocktail in it myself

a little portland cement for the palate

and maybe a few small batches later i'll be on to something.

stand by,,,this may take a while...

:evil:

Mike Irwin
April 14, 2003, 11:56 AM
You guys do realize that a Fackler box is a lot easier to construct, and a lot easier to work with in general, don't you?

280PLUS
April 14, 2003, 12:03 PM
please continue...:D

Mute
April 14, 2003, 12:22 PM
February 02 issue of Swat magazine had an article on how to build your own Fackler Box.

If you enjoyed reading about "speaking of ballistic gelatin..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!