.22 marlin Model 60 (JAMMING)

PDA

dasanii19
February 15, 2006, 12:23 AM
I was hoping to get some help on a problem with my .22 marlin model 60 jamming, its pretty old (60's or 70's?) , I took the whole thing apart today and cleaned it very well and lubed it, took it out shooting and it jams. The empty shell doesnt seem to eject and gets jammed in with the live ammo. I dont know if it just needs a new part or if its just the marlin "traight" This was my first rifle and have had it for a long time so I dont want to get rid of it, I just would like some suggestions on how to make this rifle run smoothy.

Any questions need be asked to get a better outlook on what the problem is please ask.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 marlin Model 60 (JAMMING)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheotherMikeG
February 15, 2006, 01:01 AM
Not an uncommon problem with model 60's. Chances are that you need to tweek the ejector spring in so that it will catch the spent case as the bolt cycles back. A good reference is here http://www.castbullet.com/misc/m60.htm, and here http://www.survivalprimer.com/PaulsGuns/22lr_marlin_model_60_22_cal.htm, and here http://www.rimfirecentral.com.

When I had finally exhausted my options with my 60, I sent it back to Marlin. They sent me back my rifle with a new trigger group, charging handle, stock (I really didn't need it, but they replaced it), and they reamed the chamber and cleaned it. I sent them a $50 pawn shop special and they sent me back a new rifle...under warranty.

I LOVE Marlin! :D

dasanii19
February 15, 2006, 01:10 AM
WOW!! So how did you go about that? Did they charge you? I dont have a receipt or anything, I also got this at a pawn shop years and years ago. Did you just write them? what key words do I need to use? Sorry for all the questions but That would be awesome if I could get my .22 in tip top shape, Like I said this was my first rifle and its more of a sentimental thing to me, I would like to pass it down to my kids and would really like to keep up the maintenance on it.

dasanii19
February 15, 2006, 01:41 AM
I just read the marlin site about repairs and costs, but can you tell me what you paid?

Also.. Did they send you back all your old parts as well? or did they keep them?

dch1978
February 15, 2006, 02:09 AM
My dad has one that is atleast that old. Told me stories of its long past. He got it out, I asked it when the last time it was cleaned, "never, well maybe at the factory."

I cleaned it and decided to take care of the last 2 of 6 baby skunks living in the shed. It jammed every time. I figured it was used up and should be scrapped, a 10/22 isn't that high priced anyway, but decided to try to help it out.

Took it back apart and looked at how it worked. The lever that loads the new round had a definate slam notch where the bolt hits it. I smoothed that out, but still no luck.

I then jumped ammunition to CCI velocitors, wow makes a .22 sound like more than a pop gun. Worked every time.

I have since gone down to the Remington Golden bulk packs and they cycle every time also.

It very well could simply be an ammo problem. Viper's also can be picky with ammo.

DCH

rangerruck
February 15, 2006, 03:46 AM
might jsut need a new ejector/ extractor clip. also check in the receiver, where the ejector slides intoo the groove at the left side of the chamber face. it might be full of crud,take a little dental pick and clean all that stuff out, then go back and check it out.

TheotherMikeG
February 15, 2006, 08:56 AM
dasanii19, all I paid was shipping to Marlin. Everything they did was covered under warranty. Follow the instructions on the web site, write a detailed letter about what the problem is and what you've done (if anything), and you're all set.

They did return my old stock, which I think I'm going to reinstall. It's old and battered and has a cool little medallion on it with a silhouette of a dad and son with the words "safety, ethics, sportsmanship". The broken trigger group and the old charging handle didn't make it back.

dasanii19
February 15, 2006, 01:00 PM
So I wonder if mine is under warranty even though I bought it at a pawn shop years ago?

Lupinus
February 15, 2006, 01:09 PM
some manufactorers will fix a firearm so long as the line is still in production. According to my manual that came with my 60 not long ago warrenty is for five years but some will still fix it for free. I don't have first hand experience with Marlin's service department but it is worth a shot even if they will charge you.

1-800-544-8892 is the number to marlins cs department and they are open 8-4 est. I'd go with trying them out and seeing what they say.

dasanii19
February 15, 2006, 02:17 PM
I just called, they said it isnt under warranty anymore.. Hmm maybe they will hook me up anyways??

Limeyfellow
February 15, 2006, 02:29 PM
I just need to reassemble my Marlin 60 mechanism. Currently its resting in a little bag in pieces and its a nightmare to reassemble. I think a pin or two is missing however in it, which explains why my brother in law left it behind and said its mine. Dates back to the 60s.

They did use to have a problem back than with throat erosion on the Marlin 60 that was fixed sometime in the 80s and has been causing feed problems for some people.

Farnham
February 15, 2006, 08:29 PM
I had the exact same problem with mine, replaced the extractor and ejector and springs with new ones from Brownells (cost more to ship the parts than buy them, IIRC), and voila! Still don't work.

When you get it figgered out, let me know how you did it! :evil:

S/F

Farnham

dasanii19
February 15, 2006, 09:05 PM
I just shipped mine out to marlin today, we will see how it works when it comes back and I hope they arent going to charge me an "arm and ah leg" being that this rifle is only worth $100 or so..

Lonestar.45
February 16, 2006, 12:08 AM
My Model 60 was my first gun, bought in 1982. It always shot great and never jammed. Last summer I took it out for the first time in several years, and it was a jammomatic. I cleaned it, shot it again, and it still jammed. Turns out the ammo I was using was pretty old, or it didn't like it. I bought some new ammo and it ran like a charm.

One thing to check is the recoil spring, you can get them from Numrich I think. Good luck.

mnrivrat
February 16, 2006, 12:24 AM
The two most common problems with the model 60 (besides cleaning) are the recoil spring and the ejector spring.

The most common is the ejector spring. On early models without the ejector spring the ejector was built/(cast) into the feed throat. These became worn rather quickly because they are just pot metal ,and the solution was to update them with a new style feed throat and the combo spring that tensions the lifter and serves as the ejector.

This spring acts as the ejector on it's upper end which lays in a groove at the left rear of the newer style feed throats. Often these will get bent and need to be adjusted to ride correctly and align with the shell case base during ejection.

The bolt return springs weaken with use and time and should be replaced on older guns for sure. This spring is not hard to replace nor is it expensive. If the new feed throat is needed however, I do not recommend that for home repair.

dasanii19
February 16, 2006, 12:52 AM
Marlin is going to contact me with a quote on what they are going to replace. I have no clue on what to tell them, so maybe I should make sure they should replace those two springs if they dont mention it in there quote. Anything else I should make sure they do while its there? Im sure they will run through it top to bottom but I just want to make sure before they ship it back.

mnrivrat
February 16, 2006, 09:09 AM
I would think that you should be able to trust Marlin to do it right.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 marlin Model 60 (JAMMING)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!