Disappointed, Need Help

PDA

HKTraderCane
February 15, 2006, 01:36 AM
Firearms is my newest passion but my first passion has always been college football. However, while on a college football messageboard I encountered this little gem of wisdom:

"What does Webb need assult rifles for, unless he's dealing in drugs or some other illegal activity? "

He is referring to a Florida Gators football player who had in his legal possession an AK-47 and an AR-15. The police are investigating him for allegedly discharging his weapon in an apartment complex. However, even if he did break the law, this statement is still completely ignorant.

I feel that the right to bear arms is a fundamental right and not a privilege but the best way to strengthen my beliefs is to have them constantly challenged by individuals such as the one that posted the above statement. However, I want to be prepared when they pull out their Brady facts and claims that the courts have decided that the 2nd Amendment isnt relevant today.

What websites or books do you guys recommend that would help me interpret and understand the decisions the courts have made with respect to the second amendment and relevant crime statistics that show (at a minimum) that CCW does not cause the streets to run with blood?

If you enjoyed reading about "Disappointed, Need Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tag
February 15, 2006, 01:48 AM
You could start at Packing.org, alwase a good source of info.

Otherwise, CCW has been going strong for some years now, and if anything it has reduced the crime rates. No new blood storm sewers have been installed, no high-noon shootouts.

Semi-automatic rifles are not assult weapons, and anyone who says otherwise has no basis to argue.

Check out "more guns less crime", or Massad Ayoob's "The gun digest book of Combat Handgunnery 5th edition".

Other on this site will have many relevant links and good info. Ignorance runs rampant RE: semi-automatic rifles :banghead:

buck00
February 15, 2006, 02:02 AM
Welcome to the board!

College football, fast cars, Fourth of July and firearms.... these are all truly American things. I absolutely love football, played it all my young life, but it was after football I found the beauty and lure of guns.

You can be passionate about both. In fact, I find it very satisfying to watch college football and clean my rifles on a Saturday afternoon. Do not let any liberal friends or family members persuade you that owning guns is "shady" or "wrong." People fear what they don't understand.

As far as the incident you mentioned, do you mean Dee Webb, the cornerback from Florida? To answer the question- there is absolutely nothing wrong with a college student legally owning a semi-auto rifle. That doesn't mean he is "Scarface" or he is planning to re-enact Waco, TX. However, discharging a firearm in an apartment is extremely dangerous, foolish and would indicate he should not own such a rifle.

Not to paint them all with the same brush, but I have seen college football players be pretty reckless off the field. Not sure how the Webb thing happened, but in general I can say alcohol and guns never mix.

On a side tangent, I actually saw the starting DE of a college football team pull an SKS (with 30 round mag) on a group of uninvited "hippies" who came into his place during a late night party. I think one guy ran out the door so fast he lost his flip flops. Of course, do not try this at home- just something I witnessed.

As far as web sites to check out, www.packing.org is a good one. Of course, this forum is pretty good to browse for info.

Welcome to the club.

Taurus 66
February 15, 2006, 02:16 AM
US Spreme court judges, congressmen, senators come and go, but the United States Constitution is forever! The RKBA is a right and not a privelege. You are correct. The Amendments are the "Rights" of the citizens, not priveleges.

It's understandable you like guns and so you support the Second Amendment, but stand firm and defend all of them. Any time a judge or politician, with their false ideology, starts trampling on any of your constitutional rights, you must take the "pro-active" approach and get involved.

hso
February 15, 2006, 02:26 AM
What websites or books do you guys recommend that would help me interpret and understand the decisions the courts have made with respect to the second amendment and relevant crime statistics that show (at a minimum) that CCW does not cause the streets to run with blood?

The simple point to make is that when the AWB finally sunset there was no rash of 'assault weapon' crimes. There was a great holding of breath and ... nothing. No blood in the streets. No cops pinned down by 5.56 sleet. Nothing. This is literal proof that the so called 'assault weapons' were never a problem and are not a problem.

hso
February 15, 2006, 02:29 AM

The simple point to make is that when the AWB finally sunset there was no rash of 'assault weapon' crimes. There was a great holding of breath and ... nothing. No blood in the streets. No cops pinned down by 5.56 sleet. Nothing. This is literal proof that the so called 'assault weapons' were never a problem and are not a problem.

On a more analytical note, the CDC completed a study started during the AWB and came to the conclusion that laws restricting or limiting law abiding citizens's ownership and carry of guns had no discernable impact on violent crime. None of the waiting periods, background checks, limits on numbers purchased, for cause only permit issue, nothing. No impact on violent crime.

whm1974
February 15, 2006, 07:57 AM

The silly so called AWB didn't ban anything but certain features and standerd magazines.

-Bill

Peet
February 15, 2006, 08:23 AM
Mr. Ross has a way of putting things that - well, just read it.

http://www.john-ross.net/mistakes.htm

P.

V4Vendetta
February 15, 2006, 10:09 AM
A great place for info is

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/downloads/GunFacts_v3.2.pdf

HKTraderCane
February 15, 2006, 10:43 AM
Great stuff guys, thanks alot!

armoredman
February 15, 2006, 11:32 AM
There is a GunFacts 4.0 version out now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Disappointed, Need Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!