Bolt gun or AR?

PDA

C-grunt
February 15, 2006, 02:43 AM
Im stuck between two rifles. A Remington 700 PSS .308 or a DPMS Bull Twenty .223. It will be used as a target/range gun for 400 yards or less. Im leaning towards the AR as I can switch sights and have a CQB rifle as well. But I believe the 700mwill be more accurate at longer ranges should I ever wish to shoot that far. So I would like to know your opinions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bolt gun or AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
February 15, 2006, 02:45 AM
every red blooded american should have an ar-15.
every rifleman w/ shred of dignity or class will own a truly accurate bolt gun.

guess it looks like you need 2 guns... if it were me, i'd do the 700 first - but, i'm partial to bolt guns, especially 700's...

Don't Tread On Me
February 15, 2006, 03:01 AM
Yes, get both. But get the DPMS first - it is far superior for social situations.

It will be very accurate. With the lack of recoil, there will be very little, if any recovery time between shots, allowing you to shoot faster and more often. This equates to greater firepower, and that equates to greater effectiveness.

Imagine a group of ultra-violent blood-thirsty thugs intent on stealing your food, raping your wife and sodomizing your daughter. They are assaulting neighbors and surrounding areas as well as commiting mass arson. You see disturbance down the street, or on the perimeter of your property/ranch. Would you rather pull a trigger over and over, or work a bolt and re-aquire sight picture everytime? You need to be able to effectively create "stand-off" distance. The demarcation line should be marked by perforated corspes.

OR,

You could just get it to have fun with as a low-recoil, yet accurate plinker at the range.

rangerruck
February 15, 2006, 04:57 AM
the 223 much cheaper ammo, much more pleasant to shoot, mcuh lighter to carry in the field, if you do go, good for tiny varmints and up to deer with 70 plus grn bulllets, if it is a 1/9 twist, you can super accurately fire up to 7o or so grn bullets. with a 1/8 twist you can go up to about 79 or 80 grns. with these heavier bullets you can fire very acc up to 400 or 600 yds, depending on you.
the 700 in 308. can acc fire up to 1000 yds. very high "cool" factor. use milsurp ammo like singapore portugese, american, canadian, british, S. african, or various S. american, the countries where all the ex nazis went , they made good 308 ammo. such as Argentina venezuela,chile, etc. it will be about 5. bucks a box. make sure it has a good recoil pad.

M92FS
February 15, 2006, 07:12 AM
:) voted for DPMS Bull Twenty .223.

Advantages :
1. semi-auto
2. high magazine capacity
3. faster follow up shot , good for HD situation.
4. lower recoil compare to .308
5. faster reloading time

Disadvantages :
1. stopping power is lower compare to .308
2. greater energy loss if use for long range shooting.
3. not compatible with 5.56mm cartridge.
4. precision is not as good compare to a bolt action rifle.

my recommendation is to get a semi-auto rifle chambered for 5.56mm cartridge , you can buy mil surplus ammo. mil surplus ammo is cheap compare to commercial ammo. :)

a 5.56mm rifle is compatible with both 5.56mm and .223 cartridge.

edited once to add last sentence.

Rem700SD
February 15, 2006, 07:44 AM
I'd say get both eventually. I voted for the semi .223 first.

My primary question is what does your main shooting venue look like? If it's open farm land I'd go with the .223 in a heartbeat for portability and fun factor. If most of your shooting is stuck behind a bench at a gun range, I'd choose the .308 bolt.

Bartholomew Roberts
February 15, 2006, 10:17 AM
The right AR will be every bit as accurate as the Remington 700 at any range out to 600yds (though it may not deliver the same terminal performance as .308).

Beemerguy53
February 15, 2006, 11:04 AM
Imagine a group of ultra-violent blood-thirsty thugs intent on stealing your food, raping your wife and sodomizing your daughter. They are assaulting neighbors and surrounding areas as well as commiting mass arson.

Sounds like the westside of Baltimore on a Friday night! LOL!

All kidding aside, given the choices offered here, I would opt for the DPMS AR. But here's another idea:

One of my rifle club members has a Les Baer AR-15, with a Leupold scope mounted. That Baer's accuracy is simply astounding. With handloads, I have seen him shoot groups from the bench that are about the size of a dime at 200 yards. Since you are looking at buying two rifles that will shoot the .223, you could spend about the same amount of money and get one rifle that will serve you well in both capacities. Just a thought...

Red Tornado
February 15, 2006, 11:23 AM
If you're getting a range gun, the 700 would be my pick, mostly using Dakotasin's logic.

every rifleman w/ shred of dignity or class will own a truly accurate bolt gun

If you're expecting CQB, the AR is the obvious choice.

Decide your main use, and that should help you decide. Decide which to get first, that is. ;)
RT

Jim C
February 15, 2006, 11:36 AM
Depends on your mission and what's most important to you.

You have 2 different weapon systems here. The PSS will alow you to "target" shoot out to 800-1000 yards but will provide little in CQB needs.

Your AR will allow you to utilize it in a CQB fashion but won't be as accurate for long ranges (400 meters) like the PSS .

Can't have your cake and eat it to brother.

Jim

Bartholomew Roberts
February 15, 2006, 12:17 PM
Your AR will allow you to utilize it in a CQB fashion but won't be as accurate for long ranges (400 meters) like the PSS .

The nice thing about the AR is it is modular. If you want a close range blaster, you can build that gun. You can also build ARs that will run with the PSS at 400m just fine. They won't be quite as reliable as your run of the mill AR due to the tighter chamber; but they will definitely shoot with a PSS.

The Real Hawkeye
February 15, 2006, 12:23 PM
I vote for an M1 Garand. Kill two birds with one stone.

Ifishsum
February 16, 2006, 12:28 AM
every rifleman w/ shred of dignity or class will own a truly accurate bolt gun.

Great line. I voted for the bolt gun. You can satisfy the semi-auto urge with a $150 SKS...

If you enjoyed reading about "Bolt gun or AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!