Mosin Hex blowups?

PDA

Shrinkmd
February 15, 2006, 07:46 AM
I saw a post about this over on Surplusrifle.com

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/surplusrifle/vpost?id=922183

Anyone else ever heard of this problem? I love my Mosin, but I didn't know of any kaboom potential if the headspace was good. If you fire at a reasonable pace and examine your spent cases every now and then, how much of a concern is this?

I'm wondering that with 7 or 12 million made, obviously there will be some quality control issues, and that hopefully a nice, rearsenalled one should be ok?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Hex blowups?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sleeping Dog
February 15, 2006, 08:27 AM
I've shot mine a lot. Sometimes the cases split along the neck, but that is common whether the receiver is round or hex. I never heard there was a problem with hex receivers blowing up. I plan to ignore this.

But, I shoot my low-numbered 03 Springfield, too. So my advice should be ignored by all rational people.

:)

Regards.

armoredman
February 15, 2006, 08:48 AM
Never heard any of that before. I had a 1920 hex Izzy, 9had to sell it, dagnabbit!), and I would be shooting it today, if I still had it!

Steelcore
February 15, 2006, 08:54 AM
Don't pay any attention to a report that was issued by the WW1 era Austrian Army.It has no validity in todays world.Mosins are the strongest of all the bolt action rifles.A few years ago, a gunsmith plugged the bore of a Mosin with a bullet.Then he fired a round.Nothing happened.Then he fired a second round.Nothing happened.Then he fired a third round.Bolt wouldn't open.Neither the barrel or action ruptured.
That is strong.

Dave Markowitz
February 15, 2006, 08:59 AM
Don't pay any attention to a report that was issued by the WW1 era Austrian Army.It has no validity in todays world.Mosins are the strongest of all the bolt action rifles.A few years ago, a gunsmith plugged the bore of a Mosin with a bullet.Then he fired a round.Nothing happened.Then he fired a second round.Nothing happened.Then he fired a third round.Bolt wouldn't open.Neither the barrel or action ruptured.
That is strong.

I think you may be thinking of P.O. Ackely's test with an Arisaka. If not I'd be interested in a cite to the test of the M-N.

Cosmoline
February 15, 2006, 01:48 PM
That Austrian warning has been discussed at length over on the Mosin boards. Maybe some of the M-91's the Austrians captured had out-of-round chambers. No similar problem has ever been identified with 91/30's, M-44's M-38's or any other receiver. Moreover, none of the dozens of other military forces with captured M-91's identified the oval chambers as a common problem. It's also safe to say that ANY FINNISH Mosin is using a hex receiver has been safety checked by the smiths who selected the receiver and put together the new rifle. You will also note pips on the steel where its quality was checked.

There's another factor as well. It's been so long since these receivers were made, and they've been through so many wars, any bad ones will have been weeded out long ago.

As with any surplus rifle, though, it's SOP to check your metal parts for any cracks, check headspace and check overall condition. Eyeing up the chamber to ensure it's round is part of that procedure. If you have any questions about it, fire a squib in the chamber then see if it will fit into any other MOsin chamber. If it has an oval profile and won't chamber in other Mosins, you have a problem. But I've never seen this happen.

Of all the Mosins, the only ones I'd be worried about in this respect are the UNISSUED US-production M-91's that never saw service.

benEzra
February 15, 2006, 03:26 PM
There's another factor as well. It's been so long since these receivers were made, and they've been through so many wars, any bad ones will have been weeded out long ago.
Ditto. Most Mosins have been well used in the 50-100 years since they were built.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Hex blowups?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!