Besides the 10/22 what's a good .22LR rifle?

PDA

epijunkie67
February 15, 2006, 10:35 PM
Currently, my only .22 rifles are a sigle shot bolt that's older than me and a throw away mossburg plinker that works OK but not exactly a dream gun. I also own a Henry lever in .22 mag that is a blast to shoot and does handle like a dream gun.

So I've been thinking about getting a better .22 LR rifle than what I have now. I know that the 10/22 is considered by many to be a top notch rifle but I was wondering if there were other suggestions out there. I don't want to throw down a grand on a .22 but it doesn't have to be cheap either. No single shots. I'm not a huge fan of bolt action though I wouldn't rule one out. I own several lever rifles and love them, I like semi auto also, and although I don't own any pump action rifles they look kind of interesting.

So, if you're only going to own one .22 LR rifle which one should it be? Mostly range work with some hunting thrown in.

If you enjoyed reading about "Besides the 10/22 what's a good .22LR rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mustanger98
February 15, 2006, 10:43 PM
I don't want to throw down a grand on a .22 but it doesn't have to be cheap either. No single shots. I'm not a huge fan of bolt action though I wouldn't rule one out. I own several lever rifles and love them, I like semi auto also, and although I don't own any pump action rifles they look kind of interesting.

So, if you're only going to own one .22 LR rifle which one should it be? Mostly range work with some hunting thrown in.

I recommend looking on Gunbroker.com and a couple of other auction sites and finding a Remington Model 521-T. This is a bolt action repeater with a 6rd detatchable magazine. Made between 1947 and 1969. There's several on there right now, IIRC. Mine turned out to be a great rifle with it's target sights- front and rear- and workmanship/artistry you won't find in a new production rifle without spending big $$$. You might consider a 541 as well.

The pumps are nice too if you can find a nice one not worn out. Taurus rurnt their's putting that stupid lawyer safety on top of the bolt.

Sistema1927
February 15, 2006, 10:58 PM
Marlin 39A.

A .22 for adults.

Lupinus
February 15, 2006, 11:11 PM
Marlin model 60, inexpensive but not cheap

ziadel
February 15, 2006, 11:12 PM
Remington 597?

I've heard someone is supposed to start making 25 round mags for them...

P. Plainsman
February 15, 2006, 11:16 PM
Marlin 60, very accurate little semi-auto rifle for little cash.

Marlin 39A, handsome, full-sized lever rifle with fine amenities. Mine jammed a bit too much, though, and it was not as accurate as the cheapo Model 60.

The 60 gets the nod.

flatdog
February 15, 2006, 11:16 PM
Well if your open to bolt actions you should seriously consider the CZ 452 American. The ones I've seen and shot deliver outstanding accuracy. You would have to get a custom 10/22 to match it.

They just brought out the 453 American with a single set trigger. No personal experience, but I'm guessing it would be more of a good thing.

http://www.cz-usa.com/01.04.php

White Horseradish
February 15, 2006, 11:20 PM
I have a Marlin 795 an love it. Marlin 60 might be a better choice for hunting, though, since it has no protruding magazine to snag stuff.

Ifishsum
February 15, 2006, 11:22 PM
+1 on the Remington 597. I have 2 and they're great little .22s. I've replaced all but one 10/22 with a 597, and that last one is going away soon for a Savage Mark II bolt.

IMO, the best thing about the 10/22 is you can replace almost everything with aftermarket parts.

TNT
February 15, 2006, 11:29 PM
I would take a long hard look at the TC Classic.

ArmedBear
February 16, 2006, 12:45 AM
Only one?

CZ bolt action or Browning SA 22. Maybe Browning BL-22 or Marlin 39.

Boltie or levergun so I can shoot CB's at crows out the window. SA 22 because it really can do everything and it's a takedown, too.

losangeles
February 16, 2006, 12:47 AM
I like 22 rifles. Actually, you can't have enough 10/22s. The great thing is that you can have many and each can seem different if you mod them each differently. Each are different, and each are the same. Lots of advantages in that fact.

As someone suggested, if you don't mind bolt-action, the CZ 452 is a great rifle. It's one of the most accurate for the price, out of the box. I bought one myself after reading reviews of people who have taken it to the range. I don't have numbers for it but do confirm that it's impressively accurate shooting with the iron sights.

mattw
February 16, 2006, 01:46 AM
I am also looking for a new .22 LR. Whats a good bolt action for less than 250? any one know about the cz 513 basic?

michakav
February 16, 2006, 01:54 AM
+2 on the Rem. 597. Got mine a couple years ago. Had some problems, but they worked the bugs out of the newer ones. I had to get the newer metal mags for mine, but all is well now. Tack driver for $150, can't beat it.

StrikeEagle
February 16, 2006, 02:12 AM
Hmmm... If I were you, I'd try to find a clean Remington Nylon 66. I'm pretty sure that's my favorite .22 rifle.

Shame they discontinued it. :(

StrikeEagle

brentwal
February 16, 2006, 02:42 AM
Marlin 39A.

A .22 for adults.

+1

Schleprok62
February 16, 2006, 02:55 AM
+3 for the Remington 597. I just got one and love it... :cool:

DBR
February 16, 2006, 02:58 AM
If you ever come across a Winchester model 75 or a Remington 513 target rifle you can't go wrong.

aufevermike
February 16, 2006, 03:09 AM
+3 for the Remington 597. I just got one and love it... :cool:
+4 I bought one at a garage sale last year without a mag....... Bought a lot of 5 mags (plastic) on ebay for $19 and they all work great without jams or stove piping. Put a Nikon pro staff 4x32 and it is a tack driver. It's my grouse gun.

Seven High
February 16, 2006, 07:33 AM
Take a look at the Remington 552 semiauto or the 572 pump action. They are both top of the line in my opinion. Both are adult sized. :)

Mannlicher
February 16, 2006, 07:37 AM
My go to squirrel rifle is an older Remington 521t bolt gun. I have been reducing the tree rat population for about 30 years with it.
My fun .22 is a Ruger Mannlicher stocked rifle, Stainless Steel. Accurate, fun, and is just beautiful.
I have others in the safe(s), but these two are my favorites.

johnmcl
February 16, 2006, 08:41 AM
Hi Junkie,

I have my dad's 521T that is simply the most accurate rifle I own. It has some junk optics on it now that will soon be replaced by a Leupold rimfire scope. It is just a ton of fun to shoot.

The other is my 39A. I'm going to assert that there's a little cowboy in every guy (Except some notable liberals....). There's something very nourishing to the cowboy inside us all to be slinging lead with that great little lever action.

John

Rupestris
February 16, 2006, 08:43 AM
Hmmm... If I were you, I'd try to find a clean Remington Nylon 66. I'm pretty sure that's my favorite .22 rifle.

Shame they discontinued it. :(

StrikeEagle

+1

I have one and its reliable as any semi-auto and accuracy with open sights is crazy.
If you prefer a detachable magazine look for a Nylon 77.

Brian Williams
February 16, 2006, 08:58 AM
I have looked at the Marlin 39M for 35 years and finally got one this year. I would never have taken a break of 20 some years of shooting if I had bought this instead of some cheapy Sears bolt action.

22-rimfire
February 16, 2006, 09:01 AM
Bolt: Try to find a Remington 541-S or 541-T which were made in the 1980's and 1990's. Very accurate bolt action out of the box. You are probably looking at around $500.

Lever: Few can beat a Marlin 39A. Gun is quality and has been made for many years.

Striker
February 16, 2006, 09:11 AM
Marlin and Stevens also make nice inexpensive bolt guns. I have a Marlin model 25 with a bull barrel, reliable and accurate. All are under $225.00.

Mossberg is importing a Taurus made bolt, that I saw at Christmas for $99.00. What impressed me about it was that sights and mag were metal and not plastic!

CZs are a great gun and resonably priced. The CZs military sighted rifles sell at my local Gander for $250.00 or so.

albanian
February 16, 2006, 04:24 PM
Here are my picks for eash catagory for the money. There are better guns out there of course but I think these are the best buys.

Bolt action: CZ-452. There are lots of different variations.

Semi-auto: Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60. You can find used Marlin 60s for less than $100 most of the time.

dm1333
February 16, 2006, 07:08 PM
Mine is really accurate. With Hoppes Dri Lube it will easily shoot 300 or more rounds with no jams.

texascarl
February 16, 2006, 08:54 PM
Tonite I purchased a CZ 452 Trainer (like their 452 Lux but with a beechwood stock instead of Turkish walnut). Since I've learned to like the looks of beech stocks after all these Finnish Mosins, I think this one is a real Beauty. As good looking as any gun I've ever owned, $220 + tax. The Lux/Trainer models have CZ's 'European' style stock, shape differs from their American models. These both come with 'military' iron sights that my old eyes can still see clearly. If I'd planned to scope it, I'd have bought an American model, but for great iron sights/best bang for the buck this little gem is hard to beat.

cz-usa.com (http://www.cz-usa.com/01.04.php)

CB900F
February 16, 2006, 11:30 PM
Mattw;

One of the least expensive decent bolt .22's around these days is the Savage MKII. Should be able to pick one up for under $150.00. Extra mags, under $10.00. I've owned one & thought it was a very decent gun. Decent enough that I put a fair amount of work into it & got good results for my efforts. I'm not talking throwing money at it as some do with 10/22's, just the care & attention to detail that cost more in time than money.

I recently sold the gun in order to finance the new CZ 452 American LHB. And that's another plus for the Savage, it's been available in LHB for years. A friend has a young son who's left handed, & the man didn't want his son learning on a semi-auto. Therefore, I sold it to him for the boy's use.

Other's here have touted several fine, older bolt .22's. En masse, they are correct. Haunt the used racks of the better gun emporiums in your area, there's gold in them there aisles!

900F

Schleprok62
February 16, 2006, 11:36 PM
I had a Glenfield model 25 some years ago... was a great little bolt action rifle... for $49 at the pawn shop, all I ever did to it was take it home and clean it, and go plinking... was quite accurate for the money... I wish I could find another...

I am quite pleased with Remington 597... It seems to like Federal Chamions... next time around, I'll try the Remington bulk stuff...

LAWDOGKMS
February 16, 2006, 11:46 PM
+5 on the 597..

I've killed hundreds (no exaggeration) of treetop squirrels with mine, mostly headshots..with a tasco 4X scope..

Unlike the 10/22 with that wooden "toy" stock, the 597's is ergonomic, comfortable and practical for a grown man.

It is by far the most accurate .22 rifle I've owned (had a Marlin Mdl 60, and 10-22)..

I kill my backyard squirrels with .22 CB longs, and although they don't have enough oomph to cycle the bolt, and I have to do it by hand, they are deadly accurate, and as quiet as a pellet gun.

el44vaquero
February 17, 2006, 12:15 AM
marlin model 60

AirPower
February 17, 2006, 01:35 AM
+6 on the Rem 597, it's just a great rifle, excellent for youngster and grown men alike.

rangerruck
February 17, 2006, 02:14 AM
marlin is the best bar none, for low money. for anything else money or quality or accuracy, you will never beat a cz, ever.

rangerruck
February 17, 2006, 02:18 AM
if you want the different get a norinco jw 15 , it is a cz copy, it is inexpensive, and the best copy ever made. Or find a Squires Bingham, it is full sized semiauto, shell deflector, and you can get 8, 15 or 30 round mags for it!

ConserVet
February 17, 2006, 02:34 AM
+1 on the Remington 597. I have 2 and they're great little .22s. I've replaced all but one 10/22 with a 597, and that last one is going away soon for a Savage Mark II bolt.
I've got a buddy with a scoped Mark II; He hunts pretty much everything smaller than deer with it. I've got a similar rifle in .17HMR called the model 93. I love and wouldn't trade it for anything. Savage makes good quality bolt-action rimfires that rival the price of autoloaders like the 10/22.

Ifishsum
February 17, 2006, 06:14 PM
It seems to like Federal Chamions... next time around, I'll try the Remington bulk stuff...

I wouldn't bother - I have had nothing but BAD luck with remington bulk ammo in terms of misfires and misfeeds in any .22 I've ever owned. CCI mini mags seem to be the most consistent and accurate for me.

ArmedBear
February 17, 2006, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't bother - I have had nothing but BAD luck with remington bulk ammo in terms of misfires and misfeeds in any .22 I've ever owned. CCI mini mags seem to be the most consistent and accurate for me.

I've had great luck with Remington bulk Golden Bullets. But others hate them.

PMC makes some nice, accurate and relatively cheap .22's. CCI Mini Mags are consistently good ammo if you don't mind paying a lot more for them.

mustanger98
February 17, 2006, 07:58 PM

I've had mixed results with Remington bulkpack .22LR... I shot three or four packs of them through my 22/45 without a hiccup. The 10/22 was a different story. If you're not shooting semi-autos, it seems it'll fire in anything as it fired in bolt guns for me. I did notice some misfires in one lot# and heard a lot of complaints around that time.

That said, I tend to buy a lot more Federal bulkpack than Remington. That's what I tested my 521-T with and they've performed real well in everything else or I wouldn't have shot 'em in it.:D I have complete confidence in Remington ammo in some loads, notably .30-30 and some .22's, but I just tend to buy a lot more Federal .22 ammo with total satisfaction with the product.

CCI Mini Mags are consistently good ammo if you don't mind paying a lot more for them.

I agree. When I was a kid, CCI MiniMags and Stingers was all I knew about.:cool:

Then I found out about about Federal "Lightenings" in the 500rd brick, and then Remington "Thunderbolts" (also 500rd brick) which I came to hate. "Golden Bullet" is okay IMO, but I won't go near "Thunderbolts" unless that's all I can get. Wish I could find a real good bulk deal on MiniMags though.

StrikeEagle
February 17, 2006, 08:15 PM
I don't understand the problem with Remington .22 ammo. All my guns love it.

I've fired it from everything you could name, all sorts of semi autos, even from full auto firearms. The Remingting Golden HP has become my standard .22 load.

Works for me... :o

StrikeEagle

Lupinus
February 17, 2006, 08:28 PM
I have good results with both federal and remington bulks. As a matter of personal preference I like the federals, but I have equaly good results with remingtons.

Oddly, stingers and minimags I have never used.

The Real Hawkeye
February 17, 2006, 09:30 PM
Currently, my only .22 rifles are a sigle shot bolt that's older than me and a throw away mossburg plinker that works OK but not exactly a dream gun. I also own a Henry lever in .22 mag that is a blast to shoot and does handle like a dream gun.

So I've been thinking about getting a better .22 LR rifle than what I have now. I know that the 10/22 is considered by many to be a top notch rifle but I was wondering if there were other suggestions out there. I don't want to throw down a grand on a .22 but it doesn't have to be cheap either. No single shots. I'm not a huge fan of bolt action though I wouldn't rule one out. I own several lever rifles and love them, I like semi auto also, and although I don't own any pump action rifles they look kind of interesting.

So, if you're only going to own one .22 LR rifle which one should it be? Mostly range work with some hunting thrown in.I highly recommend the Winchester Model 63. Unfortunately, Winchester hasn't made them in a long time, and they're now going out of business, but the good news is the Taurus has been making them for years, and they do a damned nice job. I have a Taurus 63, and it is every bit as nice a .22 as when Winchester made it. It's a semi-auto, and a real classy piece. Very affordable too. You will not be sorry.

mrmeval
February 17, 2006, 09:53 PM
I'm really tempted to get the carbine kit for the Neos U22, it looks cool.
:)

kennyboy
February 17, 2006, 10:49 PM
Remington 597?

I've heard someone is supposed to start making 25 round mags for them...
I do not own, nor have I shot one, but I have heard that the Rem. shoots well but appears to be cheaply made. I'd thoroughly check one out before buying. I own the 10/22 synthetic/stainless model and love it. The only problem I had was the first couple times the mags did not feed the ammo properly. I oiled them up a little and now it shoots like a charm. It has an 18.5' barrel but is accurate as the Winchester 61A single shot with the longer barrel.

Schleprok62
February 18, 2006, 12:39 AM
I don't know about the appears to be cheaply made thing... Mine looks & feels well put together...

The Mossberg International 702 Plinkster on the other hand, almost feels like a Crosman or Daisy pellet gun...

exoduster18
February 18, 2006, 12:35 PM
+1 here on the Remington Model 572 Pumpmaster. Great gun and great reliability. Mine works best with the Federal Bulk Pack of .22s. Great little gun, great little squirrel getter. :D

tcrocker
February 18, 2006, 08:30 PM
I like the CZ 452-Training rifle it is by far the best 22 I have ever had you would be hard pressed to get a better gun at eny price. The one I have shoots .38" six shot groups at 25yds. Ilove the adj ramp sights on the gun can hold 2.5" groups at 100yds. I am so impressed by the CZ that I got one in3006 and I am working on getting one in 458 win mag. The larger guns have single set triggers. The way they work is you push the trigger forward to set then pull or you can just pull the trigger for hunting. Can't say thing bad about the CZ rifles. Goodluck with your next 22 rifle.

ConserVet
February 18, 2006, 09:39 PM
I've got a buddy with a scoped Mark II; He hunts pretty much everything smaller than deer with it. I've got a similar rifle in .17HMR called the model 93. I love and wouldn't trade it for anything. Savage makes good quality bolt-action rimfires that rival the price of autoloaders like the 10/22.
An addition; +6 on the Reminton 597. I've got one with a Nikon 4x scope. Can't beat it for 50 yard squirrel headkills. You should be able to find them on sale for $119 with an additional $20 factory rebate every couple of months from your local sporting goods chain store.

kennyboy
February 18, 2006, 11:17 PM
+1 here on the Remington Model 572 Pumpmaster. Great gun and great reliability. Mine works best with the Federal Bulk Pack of .22s. Great little gun, great little squirrel getter. :D
I like the federals too. They do not seem as dirty or jam as much as other brands in my experience.

dfaugh
February 19, 2006, 11:34 AM
Marlin 60
Marlin 60
Marlin 60
Marlin 60

Can't be beat for an inexpensive gun.
Mine shoots ridiculously small groups for a gun in its price range. Works good with most ammo (except Remington), but best group so far with Wolf Target Match is around 1/2" (10 shot group!). My buddy has a stock 10/22 that he won't bring to the range anymore, 'cause its nowhere near as accurate as my Marlin. And he has a Model 52 Winchester target w/ 24x scope, that he STILL can't shoot quite as accurate as my Marlin. He's come close, but not quite!

If you wanna spend a bit more, though I've heard nothing but praise for the CZs, but have no first hand experience.

Byron Quick
February 19, 2006, 12:05 PM
Just one? Blasphemy! Heretic!

I love my CZ 452 Lux.

And my Winchester Model 1890.

It's a shooter. Mechanically sound...virtually no finish left. I was amazed at the accuracy of that old rifle, If I was forced to own just one .22 rifle, I'd keep the Winchester.

jshmata
February 19, 2006, 10:40 PM
Marlin Model 925 .22LR It is a handsome bolt action. Built in New Haven , CT by Americans for Americans. Accurate and priced affordably. I paid $150 at Gander mtn in NY. Placed a Barska 4x 32 scope on it. I like shooting 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards. Up until 2005 Marlin checkered the stock and forearm grip. This made it look great, like a large caliber rifle. Easy to clean and easy to live with. Shot about 1000 rounds thru her already and I remember only 2 misfires; Ammo was the federal brand. Great gun for plinking and hunting.
:D

pete f
February 20, 2006, 03:28 AM
For those having trouble with the bulk box ammo. try these tips. First strip your bolt and really clean the ways that the firing pin slides in. then really clean the barrel face and the bolt face, make sure all the gunk and flotsam is gone. We have found that most times the problems with misfires can be atributed to weak pin strikes and those can usually be traced to a bolt being cushioned by crud or a firing pin haveing crun on it and absorbing a lot of the inertia of the pin after the hammer strikes.

As for my favorites I really like an old pump 572 that i have as well as a 39 pre A and 881 marlin tube feed. My father in law has two OLD springfield .22 autoloaders and a rem bolt, a 513 T that was GI issue he says he paid $8.75 for it out of boylife back in the fifties. The old rem will make head shots all day on squirrel and rabbit. I bought my dad a browning M52 sporter to replace a stolen winchester M52 B that he had. Althoughit is very nice it is not as nice as it shouldbe for the price, and i would have been better off buying him a new 541 T when i could have. The new Savage high grade .22 seems to be stunningly accurate from all reports. i believe they call the MK II LV not sure tho

cgv69
February 20, 2006, 07:12 PM
+8(?) for the 597. Accurate, great shape and perfect balance, (and maybe I got lucky here but) an awesome trigger. All that from a $125 gun is pretty sweet.

I do not own, nor have I shot one, but I have heard that the Rem. shoots well but appears to be cheaply made. I'd thoroughly check one out before buying. I own the 10/22 synthetic/stainless model and love it. The only problem I had was the first couple times the mags did not feed the ammo properly. I oiled them up a little and now it shoots like a charm. It has an 18.5' barrel but is accurate as the Winchester 61A single shot with the longer barrel.

The 597 does have some cheap features but for a gun that sells for $125 brand new in 2006, you can't expect beautifully figured wood and highly polished blued steel.

The receiver is made of some kind of thin cheap metal. The only problem with that is if you try to use a screw on sight base. Some people who have tried have found that screws strip out easily. It is better to use 3/8" "rimfire" types rings which hold just as well.

The trigger guard is made of some type of polymer (plastic). Now I will admit I would rather it be made of some type of metal\aluminum too but think about it. 870 Express models have been made with plastic trigger housings for decades. Have you ever heard of one breaking?

Again, I have to repeat that this is a $125 gun. How many semi-auto .22 do you know of that are as accurate, light, well balanced (and now that the bugs have been worked out) reliable as the 597 and can be bought for anywhere near $125?

10/22's around here go for no less then $170 NIB (unless you get lucky) and will cost you even more then that to make them as accurate, well balanced and fun to shoot as the 597 is out of the box. There are probably 20x the number of aftermarket parts out there for the 10/22 then there are for the 597. Makes sense when you remember the 10/22 is a 30 year old gun and the 597 is what? 5-6 years old. Thing is, I think most people will find there is no need to upgrade the 597 like most people do with the 10/22.

The next step up the food chain that I would seriously consider is a CZ 452 American. I know you wrote you are not a big fan of bolt guns but it's another gun that offers a hell of a lot for it's price.

BOOM
February 20, 2006, 08:40 PM

In .22 LR, a T-Bolt --> http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=021B&cat_id=025&type_id=175

Dad gave me one for my 8th birthday. I didn't know what I had at the time and I abused it as a teenager. After getting married and having kids, money was tight and I traded it in on something I felt I needed at the time. I'd give anything if I could get that gun back.:banghead: It really is unique, and something that would be worth holding onto and passing on to grandkids.

For hunting, I really like my Brno ZKM-611, 22 magnum semi-auto. It's a fine little gun, but I can't seem to find a place to buy an extra magazine or two.
http://www.weareguns.com/BRNOZKM611.htm

backlash
February 22, 2006, 11:34 AM
I like the federals too. They do not seem as dirty or jam as much as other brands in my experience.
I agree, Federal is a lot cleaner compared to Remmington.

If you enjoyed reading about "Besides the 10/22 what's a good .22LR rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!