Moving Out Of State

PDA

NewShooter
February 16, 2006, 12:15 PM
If you move to a different state, what paperwork do you need to do for your firearms?

If you enjoyed reading about "Moving Out Of State" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Henry Bowman
February 16, 2006, 12:42 PM
Are you moving to, or from, Ohio?

From Ohio's point of view, nothing is required. If you have NFA items, there may be some federal requirements. There are, however some rogue cities in Ohio that have passed ordinances requiring registration of "evil" guns.

Give us more info so we can answer.

Chipperman
February 16, 2006, 12:58 PM
For non-NFA weapons there are no federal requirements.
For NFA weapons, you need to fill out a Form 5320.20

All other regs are at the state level, and will depend entirely on which states are involved.
It may be as easy as moving them with no paperwork, or as difficult as not being able to bring them into the new state at all.

geekWithA.45
February 16, 2006, 02:02 PM
_Most_ states don't care.

Some consider bringing in a gun without prior permission to be a felony.

Some consider bringing in certain guns, with or without prior permission to be a felony.

YMMV.

No state that I know of has anything to say about anyone leaving with their guns.

Some states with draconian gun laws require you to register on arrival, others don't. (Big surprise: Jersey doesn't require registration on arrival! No AWBs may be brought in though)

NewShooter
February 16, 2006, 04:12 PM
Actually a friend is planning a move from gun friendly Vermont to not so friendly Ohio and he asked me about it. I couldnt answer his question so I thought I would post it on here. I believe all he has is a .22 pistol.

wdlsguy
February 16, 2006, 04:46 PM
Here is NRA's summary of Ohio gun laws:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=OH

If you enjoyed reading about "Moving Out Of State" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!