Need some help on finding the right grain cartrage

PDA

sdperry619
February 16, 2006, 03:26 PM
I am going to be going on a ferral pig hunt in CA with my bro and some friends from work. We have a 7mm weatherby and a winchester model 70 .264 mag. What grain cartage would you recoment. Keep in mind these are not HUGE animals. And admitedly I am new to rifle hunting, been hunting (Dove, quail, pheasent and waterfowl for a long time though)

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some help on finding the right grain cartrage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Schleprok62
February 16, 2006, 03:56 PM
I would think a 100 - 140 grain bullet would do nicely. If available in a varmint load cartridge, that's what I'd look for and buy...

my 0.02

~z
February 16, 2006, 04:21 PM
I'd suggest a heavy "premium" (well constructed designed for penetration) bullet over a varmint load. Where there are little ones, often times, there are big ones. Heavy bullets will put down little ones better than light bullets put down big ones....$.03, keep the change.
~z

~z
February 16, 2006, 04:22 PM
PS, welcome aboard.
~z

atblis
February 16, 2006, 04:53 PM
I would think a more well behaved bullet (in those two cartridges) would be better in that case. I'll go for the heavy premium bullet too. A varmint bullet out of either of those guns would be frag nasty. Also, I'd guess a heavier bullet will also shoot more accurately.

foghornl
February 17, 2006, 10:22 AM
Pigs are a whole lot tougher than you would think....Thick skin, heavy muscle/cartiledge/bone. Vitals are deep inside.

So, they premium deep penetrating bullet (but NOT Full Metal Jacket) instead of the vermint/thin skinned critter round.

P.S. A wounded pig is a VERY dangerous critter...similar to a wounded bear.

runninmike
February 18, 2006, 07:09 PM
Go with at least 120 slug for a pig.
Winchester is the only maker of domestic .264 ammo these days. It's a 140 grainer, and is good-I use them. I would not shoot a 100 gr bullet at a heavy pig as it will be explosive unless really loaded down. That 140 load is excellant for any pig around.
The 7mm Rem mag-I would also get at least a 120 or larger.
My friend hit a large 300+ lb sow last year with a 130 gr .270 win. Pole axed the old girl right now, total penetration.
Best-MC

If you enjoyed reading about "Need some help on finding the right grain cartrage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!