AWB repair questions


Byron Quick
February 17, 2006, 10:48 AM
I've got a Springfield M1A and a Bushmaster AR15 bought during the AWB. Is there an economical way to correct the desecrations done to these rifles. I've got a birdcage flash suppressor on the AR15 now. How difficult would it be to put a front sight/bayonet lug on it? It's a flattop so I'd need the BUIS rear sight.

Would it be more practical and economical to simply sell the rifles and buy post ban models that have not been disfigured?

I'm very happy with the way both of these rifles shoot and I'm a little leery of getting rid of them.

On the AR15, though, I really want to have iron sight capability. As it is configured now, it's optics only.


If you enjoyed reading about "AWB repair questions" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
February 17, 2006, 12:15 PM
Easiest way to correct the AR without getting a whole new upper would be to remove the barrel from the upper receiver.

Replace the barrel with a new one that has the front sight and gas block in the Eeevil config. It would cost more than just replacing the front sight and block, but would be less labor intensive. Buying a whole new upper would be easier still, but more money.

I don't have an M1A, so will not comment on that one.

February 17, 2006, 02:43 PM
You might contact Adco Firearms ( to see what it would cost to modify your upper to your liking.

February 17, 2006, 09:35 PM
For the M1A all you need is a new front sight assembly with the lug on the bottom. And some flash suppressor pliers.

For the AR, the front sight and gas block assembly is usually fitted to the individual barrel, so getting a new barrel would be the easy option.

No reason to sell either rifle.

February 17, 2006, 10:57 PM
For the AR, if you're willing to use a flip-front front sight, there are several options that mount using split rings. For example, Yankee Hill offers this:

On the other hand, if you want a traditional USGI front sight tower/gas block, then you'll either have to buy one that's not yet been drilled/fitted and fit it/have it installed, or (as has been suggested) buy a whole new barrel with the gas block already installed.

Myself? I'd probably go for the user-installable flip sight option...

Byron Quick
February 20, 2006, 11:27 PM
What is required to put that pop-up sight on the rifle? I assume that you have to remove what is there now?

Bartholomew Roberts
February 20, 2006, 11:35 PM
I'll warn you right now that removing a pinned Bushmaster FSB, while doable, is not always easy. I used a Dremel to completely cut away all the metal underneath a particularly tough Bushmaster FSB pin and still had to use to a drill press to pop out the pin.

If you enjoyed reading about "AWB repair questions" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!