AR Bullpups?

PDA

ocmechanx
February 17, 2006, 02:08 PM
Has anybody actually used or has one of these:confused: , hows the accuracy, and reliability comparitivly speakin to other compact assalt rifles?

Bryan

If you enjoyed reading about "AR Bullpups?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nbkky71
February 17, 2006, 04:45 PM
The only AR15 bullpup I remember seeing was the M17S by Bushmaster.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/m17s/

I got to run a few rounds through one many, many, years ago. I honestly didn't draw any overly positive or negative conclusions from it.

I'm a lefty so bullpup-style rifles don't suit me well.

Correia
February 17, 2006, 04:54 PM
The Bushmaster wasn't an AR15 internally at all. It is a lot more like an AR18.

You don't normally see bullpuped AR action guns, because the buffer tube extends into the stock. ACE has a prototype that they showed at SHOT that uses a return spring above the barrel. It is the only actual bullpup AR that I've ever seen. It was a rough prototype, but I was impressed with it.

hkmp5g17
February 17, 2006, 05:02 PM
Here's a pic of the Ace bullpup.

MechAg94
February 17, 2006, 05:05 PM
Is it just me or does that look like a really awkward rifle? Maybe I am just on the traditional side.

ALS
February 17, 2006, 05:48 PM
I have one of the Bushmaster M17's and it is just as accurate as any of my AR's. The two down sides is it is one it is a scope only gun. The second is it has a open or egg crate butt on the stock. It can get annoying to fire even with .223's. It digs in to the shoulder on recoil. I may have one of the problem guns but I had to modify the recoil system slightly to get the gun to fire reliably. The whole system is held in place with two C clips. I had to cut the grooves where these C clips are placed deeper to get them to hold under fire. So far so good. I find it a comfortable gun to fire once I covered the butt with a piece of 1/4 inch rubber foam.

Thefabulousfink
February 17, 2006, 06:21 PM
Here's a pic of the Ace bullpup.

That is one ugly duckling, even for a bullpup.:eek:

Bartholomew Roberts
February 17, 2006, 07:40 PM
They need a longer forearm on the Ace bullpup. Not much point in having a vertical foregrip mounted about 2" in front of the pistol grip. I've never been a big bullpup fan myself; but finally getting to shoot a full-auto AUG with a 16" barrel definitely has me rethinking that.

Nobody has yet solved the trigger issue in a satisfactory way though. It seems like all the mechanical linkage involved almost always guarantees a pretty mediocre trigger on any bullpup.

mattf7184
February 18, 2006, 01:23 AM
More info on the ACE:

http://www.riflestocks.com/ar15.htm#ARBP

ALS
February 18, 2006, 11:47 AM
Nobody has yet solved the trigger issue in a satisfactory way though. It seems like all the mechanical linkage involved almost always guarantees a pretty mediocre trigger on any bullpup.

"DITTO"

If you enjoyed reading about "AR Bullpups?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!