My first rifle...

PDA

PlayboyPenguin
February 17, 2006, 01:33 PM
Well, I broke down and bought my first rifle. Mainly because of the "zombie killing techiniques" thread. I didn't want to be under zombie attack with no long range weapons. My business partner owed me some money for paying for his Treo 700w the other day when he forgot his wallet. We were at the gunstore yesterday and I told him if he bought me the Marlin 1895 45/70 with the stainless barrell I would call it even. He did...now I am the proud owner of my first rifle. Only bad thing is I will have to reconfigure my gun safe to accept rifles now. Good thing I took the advice of some THR members and bought one that was big enough for rifles even though I only owned handguns.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "My first rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HRLRDR22
February 17, 2006, 01:34 PM
enjoy your new rifle sounds like a good trade to me.....

Kramer Krazy
February 17, 2006, 01:46 PM
...I told him if he bought me the Marlin 1895 45/70 with the stainless barrell I would call it even.
Hmmmm.........depending on how you conducted this, I'm wondering if you may have conducted a "straw purchase"... :scrutiny:

PlayboyPenguin
February 17, 2006, 01:53 PM
Hmmmm.........depending on how you conducted this, I'm wondering if you may have conducted a "straw purchase"... :scrutiny: Since I was present and they did a background check on me, he just paid for it, it would not be a straw purchase. Plus, a straw purchase by definition is someone that can legally purchase buying for someone who cannot legally purchase. We are both legal gun owners.:)

Carl N. Brown
February 17, 2006, 01:57 PM
Let's just say that he gave you the money he owed you
and you bought the gun with YOUR money since you passed
the background check and presumably signed the 4473.
Right?

Lobotomy Boy
February 17, 2006, 01:59 PM
Hey PP, don't let any comments I've made dissuade you from enjoying your new gun. It's an extremely useful gun, one that would be a fine addition to any arsenal. I may well get one in stainless steel for fishing in bear country.

I'm just saying that the 45/70 is no plinker. It has enough recoil to discouarge shooting just for the sheer joy of shooting. You might want to look into a 10/22 as a companion rifle for killing paper targets, tin cans, and assorted critters smaller than elk.

Balog
February 17, 2006, 02:01 PM
Or he could reload and make his own mildly recoiling rounds.

PlayboyPenguin
February 17, 2006, 02:01 PM
Let's just say that he gave you the money he owed you
and you bought the gun with YOUR money since you passed
the background check and presumably signed the 4473.
Right?
Actually, he used his credit card...but I did sign the paperwork, get fingerprinted and get checked out as always. let's not loose sight of the fact that it is perfectly legal to buy a weapon for someone as a gift. As long as that person can be a legal gun owner. In oregon, if I wanted to buy my sister a gun and then give it to her I can legally do so.

Harry Tuttle
February 17, 2006, 02:07 PM
lets not loose sight of the fact that you have a totally awesome new tool!

Sweeeet!

Zombie's will avoid your entire neighboorhood now.

You are blessed!

;)

Carl N. Brown
February 17, 2006, 02:34 PM
Fifth District Federal Court of Appeals only cares if the recipient of the
gun is eligible to legally own a gun themself.

People who take the letter of the law literal rather than the intent
of Congress will pick useless nits.

Kramer Krazy
February 17, 2006, 02:40 PM
...but I did sign the paperwork, get fingerprinted
You had to be fingerprinted to buy a rifle?!!! :what:

I did something similar last Christmas.... .
He didn't give any details, so I was just curious........the wife and do similar purchases all the time.

PlayboyPenguin
February 17, 2006, 02:51 PM
You had to be fingerprinted to buy a rifle?!!! :what:
Well, mainly because the reason I was there in the first place was to pick up my new CCW...a Ruger SP101.:)

Father Knows Best
February 17, 2006, 02:51 PM
deleted by author

Carl N. Brown
February 17, 2006, 02:57 PM
I don't know about PP, but in my jurisdiction the
instant check requires left and right thumb prints
on a card, with a coded number for the transaction.

My first rifle was a Springfield 120A .22 single shot
Christmas, 1961; I was thirteen years, ten months old.
Mom bought it for me, no GCA, NICS, BATFE, HCI, MMM.
Those were the days. You had do something to be
treated like a suspect, not just own something.

We got a lot of BP shooters who load .45-70 with
black powder or Pyrodex. .45-70 is cool, Penguin.
Enjoy your loudenboomer.

f4t9r
February 17, 2006, 03:06 PM
congrats on the gun , enjoy

ball3006
February 17, 2006, 04:27 PM
enjoy.................chris3

ReadyontheRight
February 17, 2006, 04:34 PM
Very nice new rifle. Congrats! With the 45-70 lever, you're kind of a mix between Quigley Down Under and Rooster Cogburn.:D

Get out and enjoy it. 45-70 is a great excuse to get into reloading.

depicts
February 17, 2006, 06:19 PM
PP, congrats on your first new long gun.

Could I ask a favor? Would you have your partner take a picture of you when you touch off your first shot? On second thought,, how about a picture taken just BEFORE your SECOND shot???

LOL, just bustin' Penguin....that's a lot of gun. I'm green with envy :)

Pafrmu
February 17, 2006, 11:47 PM
Started strong, very nice, very nice ... congrats.

Berek
February 18, 2006, 12:13 AM
I don't know about PP, but in my jurisdiction the
instant check requires left and right thumb prints
on a card, with a coded number for the transaction.

My first rifle was a Springfield 120A .22 single shot
Christmas, 1961; I was thirteen years, ten months old.
Mom bought it for me, no GCA, NICS, BATFE, HCI, MMM.
Those were the days. You had do something to be
treated like a suspect, not just own something.

We got a lot of BP shooters who load .45-70 with
black powder or Pyrodex. .45-70 is cool, Penguin.
Enjoy your loudenboomer.

Up here, all I have to do is show photo ID (ie driver's license) and fill out the form. They call for the NICS check and jot the confirmation number. No prints necessary... I guess NY aint all that bad... kinda... sorta... maybe... or not... :)

Zen21Tao
February 18, 2006, 01:30 AM
I guess NY aint all that bad... kinda... sorta... maybe... or not... :)

YES it is. Just look at your Senators. :neener:

And to PP.... Congrats. Hope you have fun with your new toy. Tell us how it is on your sholder.

1911 guy
February 18, 2006, 09:32 AM
If you haven't already shot it, get out and do it. The recoil from a .45-70 is NOT bad. If fact, many find it easier to handle than a lot of "modern" rounds. It's not a sharp kick, it's more of a rolling shove. Factory ammo is loaded to pressures safe for the old trapdoors, similar to BP pressures. Buy dies for it and start reloading. That's the only way you'll be able to feed that thing on a regular basis. You've also got to do what I did with mine (NEF Handi-Rifle): load up a few black powder rounds to see what the originals were like! Be sure to clean very well afterwards, though.

The Real Hawkeye
February 18, 2006, 10:22 AM
Well, I broke down and bought my first rifle. Mainly because of the "zombie killing techiniques" thread. I didn't want to be under zombie attack with no long range weapons. My business partner owed me some money for paying for his Treo 700w the other day when he forgot his wallet. We were at the gunstore yesterday and I told him if he bought me the Marlin 1895 45/70 with the stainless barrell I would call it even. He did...now I am the proud owner of my first rifle. Only bad thing is I will have to reconfigure my gun safe to accept rifles now. Good thing I took the advice of some THR members and bought one that was big enough for rifles even though I only owned handguns.:)You have yourself a nice gun there. Now you need to get some nice aperture (peep) sights from Ashley Outdoors. A huge improvement on the 1895.

runninmike
February 18, 2006, 07:33 PM
Nice choice!
A writer/hunter using some heavy loads killed 2 buffs with one shot from the same rifle combo. A large bull was hit, it pentrated him diagonally and killed a cow directly behind. Brian Pierce was the guy-it was in Guns and Ammo or whichever one he writes for-I can't remember as I buy the gun magazines only individually that have things that interest me because many months they just put out boring stuff.
Best-MC

JohnKSa
February 18, 2006, 10:45 PM
WARNING! BEFORE reading farther, please read the disclaimer at the end of the post.

Niiiice rifle!:D

Get some of the Remington 405gr JSP rounds. They recoil about like a 12 gauge, don't cost much, and will do the trick on anything the size of Bison or smaller.

There is a pretty good variety of ammo out there in this caliber. You can get everything from blackpowder equivalent loadings up to some that match the performance of the .450Marlin (350gr at 2150fps). Hornady has even come out with some POINTED bullet loads in 45/70 (available this spring/summer, IIRC) that are safe for tubular magazines.

Start looking into receiver sights. X/S (used to be Ashley Outdoors) and WWG (Wild West Guns) both make nice aperture receiver sights for the Marlin rifles. You COULD scope it, but you know that would hurt you inside. ;)

You're gonna have a LOT of fun with this rifle. TRUST me.

MSGT9410
February 18, 2006, 11:00 PM
The Refrigerator Chronicles: Attack of the .45-70

Awesome choice you made, have fun with your new rifle! :D :D

mountainclmbr
February 19, 2006, 12:25 PM
Congrats on the new rifle! My first rifle was a Remington 700ADL in 270 Win. I still have it and shoot it regularly. I have a Marlin in 444 and the recoil is very stout with full power loads. If you put a scope on it make sure you consider the long eye relief types!

If you enjoyed reading about "My first rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!