Rem 700 Mtn or Tikka T3 Hunter

PDA

BOOM
February 17, 2006, 01:36 PM
These two have fairly close matched specs. Rem has a 4 shot clip and T3 only 3. Rem has a slight weight advantage. I've heard of poor groups from the thin barrel of the Rem. I like the walnut stocks and magazine clips over floorplates which both have.

I'm set on 7mm-08 cal. Of these two , which do you like and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 700 Mtn or Tikka T3 Hunter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
February 17, 2006, 02:31 PM
remington.
the amount of plastic on the tikka drives me up a wall.

no accuracy troubles w/ the rem mountain rifle - least not for me.

skers69
February 17, 2006, 04:42 PM
Just picked up a 700 mountian rifle a few weeks back. I love the way that gun gets into a shooting position so easy. It just has a feel to it. I have not had any problems with accuracy. It is a 30-06. I have not had a second thought on that purchase.

just my .02

redneck2
February 17, 2006, 05:44 PM
the Tikka is probably a fine rifle. Never used or shot one

From a guy that shoots and uses guns a lot

no accuracy troubles w/ the rem mountain rifle - least not for me.

I've got 3 700's, a 22-250, a .223, and a 7mm mag. All are great shooters. I wish you were closer and could shoot my .223. It's a sporter weight, basic model. It's exceptionally accurate.

I'm getting REAL tired of foreign stuff. I'm going to try to stick with "Made in America" as much as I can. Why should the workers at Remington buy your company's stuff if you buy foreign guns?

kennyboy
February 17, 2006, 06:04 PM
Remingtons are great. However, on a thread that I started on the smoothest bolt on a bolt action rifle, Tikka had more support than all the other rifles combined. I have never shot or handled a Tikka myself, although I have fired some 700s.

dakotasin
February 17, 2006, 06:17 PM
i have remingtons, sakos, tikkas, winchesters, savages, and mausers in my gun safes. i saw the thread about the smoothest bolt, but stayed out of it because 1- i don't care, 2- bolt 'smoothness' is subjective mostly, and difficult to quantify.

however... i would say this, about bolt smoothness: savages suck. period. everything else is fine, and would rank remington and sako at the top, battle-era mausers second, tikkas third, winchesters fourth... but... i don't see a connection between smooth bolt operation and rifle quality. if there was a connection there, this whole board would be up in arms, because savage bolts are anything but smooth, and in every 'what rifle do i buy' thread, savage is reccomended 2:1...

Schleprok62
February 17, 2006, 06:49 PM
I've always like the Remington 700 DM, I've wanted a Mountain Rifle for years... never got one though... maybe this year...

...and in every 'what rifle do i buy' thread, savage is reccomended 2:1...

to add to your post:

And rarely do I see mention of Browning on those threads... and they make some very nice rifles...:cool:

rust collector
February 17, 2006, 07:47 PM
I got a lot of good service out of my old M700 ADL in 6mm Rem, and I have admired the lines and ergonomics of the mountain rifle. My primary cervidae swatter is a Tikka T3 lite stainless in 308, however, because it is accurate, smooth, light and user friendly.

I do love the look of a nice walnut stock, and I don't see how either of these choices would disappoint you. Both have what it takes to give a lifetime of great service, and the 7mm08 is as good as it gets ('cept the 6.5 x55, of course).

Lobotomy Boy
February 17, 2006, 11:16 PM
I have a Tikka T3 Lite. I own a lot of guns of all different types and brands, but the Tikka is by far the finest firearm I have ever shot. I get 1MOA at 200 yards time after time, and get 2MOA at 300 yards. This year I shot three deer on the first day of the season. I shot two of them almost simultaneously. I dropped a doe with one shot, saw the buck, fired. He leapt up, I fired again, and he went down. The first shot severed his heart clean off right at the aorta, and he was jumping on pure reflex. The second shot went right through his lungs about an inch in front of the heart. Other than four holes through the rib cage the meat was untouched, and we don't keep the ribs anyway.

All that took place in less than 30 seconds. The smooth bolt action and precise trigger made it easy. I figure if I can do that kind of damage with three rounds in less than 30 seconds, I really don't need a fourth in the magazine.

hoghunting
February 18, 2006, 01:44 AM
I too tried to buy American, but sometimes it doesn't always work out. Bought a new Remington 700 BDL and the chamber had a burr so bad that a shell would not fully chamber. Dealer sent it back to the factory and when it returned, it was taken to the range where I discovered the the firing pin hole was too large as the primers were flowing into the hole - Remington ammo was used. Back to the dealer for another trip to the factory. After a 7 week wait and the factory still could not tell us its status, my dealer let me apply the value of the 700 BDL towards a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM.

The Tikka is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned and it has the best trigger of any of the other rifles I tested. It has an excellent feel and balance to carry while hunting.

Would pick the Tikka over the Remington.

Lobotomy Boy
February 18, 2006, 08:20 AM
Both my grandfathers were the first members of their family born in the U.S. after their parents emigrated from Scandanavia, so to me buying Tikka is pretty close to buying local.

BevrFevr
February 18, 2006, 11:12 AM
Tikka is what I own and recommend. There is only one parameter I can think of where a remmy will beat out the tikka. That is the availability of accesories.

You have to put up with all the "Tikka, what's that?" From all the remmy and winny guys. The best answer is "A tikka is what your rifle wants to be when it grows up."

Really, for me there is no comparison, other than yes they are both fine bolt actions.

You can't really go wrong with either but Tikka is the better product

-bevr

BOOM
February 18, 2006, 05:24 PM
I've hunted with a Ruger '06 for many years with good success. I've just lately found myself wanting a change. I have to say I'm very surprised by all the positive feedback on Tikka, a brand I've only recently heard of. I've not been in the market for a new deer rifle for about 20 years.

How long have the Tikka rifles been around?

Sir Aardvark
February 18, 2006, 05:28 PM
You'll find that Remington 700's are very well supported by the aftermarket - so... if you're planning on tweaking your rifle any, then you might want to go the Remington route.

BevrFevr
February 18, 2006, 07:27 PM
I would counter with, If you are looking for a rifle that does not need much tweeking, buy a tikka.

But as you asked about a mountain rifle, I'm assuming you are not into tacticool accesories and you are into weight reduction, accuracy, save your life dependability. For that hands down, a Tikka!

One struggles for analogies. Hmmm cars, sports, nationalities....Ahhhh yes Women

Tikka = Girls Gone Wild
Remington = Soccer Moms with 3 kids and few too many drinks.

Both will get the job done but with all the facts exposed the decision is easy.

BOOM
February 18, 2006, 07:41 PM
Tikka = Girls Gone Wild
Remington = Soccer Moms with 3 kids and few too many drinks.

Both will get the job done but with all the facts exposed the decision is easy.

Now THAT'S funny! :D

Legionnaire
February 18, 2006, 09:27 PM
Remington ... but not the Mountain rifle. Take a look at the Model Seven. I think it's the perfect short-action hunting platform for the .243, 7mm-08, and the .308. Not as many aftermarket gadgets for the Seven as the 700, but enough. H.S. Precision makes a really nice stock for the Model Seven.

YodaVader
February 19, 2006, 10:24 AM
I like the walnut stocks and magazine clips over floorplates which both have.

All the T3 Hunters I have seen and handled had a detachable magazine. The only bad thing was the fact that it was plastic. Still, if I had to choose a sporter rifle to leave totally stock I would probably get the Tikka.

I still like the heavy barrel 700s and have owned 4.

Lobotomy Boy
February 19, 2006, 10:36 AM
So far I am unaware of a single problem with the plastic magazine. I have not had a problem, the people I hunt with who own Tikkas have not had a problem, and I have not read about a single problem with the plastic magazines on the Internet. The only problem seems to be that some people don't like the idea of a plastic magazine. But they probably don't like plastic guns, either, and my Glocks have been the most rugged, reliable, dependable guns I have ever owned.

YodaVader
February 19, 2006, 11:08 AM
So far I am unaware of a single problem with the plastic magazine. The only problem seems to be that some people don't like the idea of a plastic magazine. But they probably don't like plastic guns, either, and my Glocks have been the most rugged, reliable, dependable guns I have ever owned.

Never said there was a problem as far as function. The reason Tikka/Sako uses the plastic is simply because it is cheap to do so. My Sako Finnfire also had a plastic magazine - it was so light that it barely fell out of the rifle when empty. The trigger guard unit was also plastic. The price of an extra plastic magazine was far more expensive than any all metal magazine of any other gun I ever owned.

My CZ 452 utilizes a metal magazine and metal trigger guard and the rifle shoots almost as good as the Sako did for about 1/4 the price.

Plastic is great for toys but I like metal for my real guns when ever possible. Still , like I mentioned above, I would probably choose the Tikka.

Lobotomy Boy
February 19, 2006, 08:47 PM
The price of an extra plastic magazine was far more expensive than any all metal magazine of any other gun I ever owned.

You've got that right. When I bought my T3 extra magazines were around $70. Since then they've dropped, but they are still nearly $50, which is ridiculous.

Even so, I still love the gun. It is my favorite, though the A3 flattop I just brought home might change that opinion...

BOOM
February 19, 2006, 09:34 PM
Remington ... but not the Mountain rifle. Take a look at the Model Seven.

I haven't been particularly fond of the way the model 7 felt when I held it. However, I just found that Remington has a new offering called the Model Seven CDL! The CDL stock may have a better feel to it, so I think I'll have to check one of these out before I make my final buying decision!

45crittergitter
February 21, 2006, 07:20 PM
I have more than one T-3 Lite, and more than one Model 700 (not Mountain). I prefer the Tikka. It's lighter, smoother, more accurate, cheaper, better (and adjustable) trigger, and it doesn't have misaligned factory scope mounting holes. The only advantages I see with the Remington are cheaper mags, previously mentioned, and the fact that you can work the bolt with the safety on (not a negligible feature IMHO).

IV Troop
February 21, 2006, 09:18 PM
I own Rem, Win, Bro, Sav, Misc custom jobs , and Tikka. I very much prefer the Tikka.

wanderinwalker
February 21, 2006, 09:31 PM
Being a satisfied Remington shooter, I'll vote Mountain Rifle. Actually, I did shortly after I turned 18. Haven't regretted the choice of rifle, caliber or scope in the past 4 years. Mine is a .260 Remington, topped by a simple, "cheap" Leupold VX-I scope (an older one, similar to what is now the Rifleman line). It's been accurate, reliable and pleasant to carry. The lack of killing is not the rifle's fault! :rolleyes:

This rifle will shoot MOA or a little better with loads it likes. Though mine has a 1-9" twist it seems to prefer the 140gr bullets. Factory Core-lokts will shoot 1/2" for 3 round at 100. Somewhere I have a target with 3 rounds in 3/4" from 100 yards, shot sitting tossing 125gr Nosler Partition handloads.

(Of course, there are some people at my club who are convinced I can beat them with anything most days, but I still like to give the rifles credit. ;) )

wanderinwalker
February 22, 2006, 10:17 AM
Here's some groups:

These are benchrested at 100 yards. On the right is 140gr Gamekings, on the left are 120gr Ballistic Tips.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/P-990/Bullseye002.jpg

These are 125gr Nosler Partitions. The three around the outside were an experiment with W760 ball powder. Needless to say, my rifle doesn't like it. The three in the middle are with H4350, much improved performance. Speed about 2900-fps from a 22" barrel. Edited: These groups were fired sitting in the sling at 100 yards.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/P-990/Bullseye001.jpg

atblis
February 22, 2006, 10:23 AM
Better trigger (Aside from Steyr Double sets, the best factory trigger I've shot).
Palm swell on the stock (subjective)
They seem to shoot very very well (Mine does).
They do have a very smooth bolt throw.

BOOM
February 22, 2006, 12:11 PM
I'm really torn! :banghead: On one hand, the aesthetics of the 700 Mtn beat the Tikka by a long shot. Yet, I'm VERY impressed with Tikka's smooth bolt operation, and what I've heard regarding accuracy and trigger. A T3 light S/S would sure be an excellent bump around gun!

jmorris
February 22, 2006, 12:23 PM
I own a model seven in 7-08 and would recomend it for deer/hogs to 300yds.

Radjxf
February 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
IMO the 700 is not even in the same league as the Tikka, except for maybe the stock if you compare the T3-Lite vs 700 BDL. My T3 Lite is unbelievably accurate (consisten sub-MOA with good ammo) exceptionally well made, has the best trigger, action, and crown I've seen on a rifle in this price range. I will agree the plastic stock is cheesey. And all this from a guy that doesn't care much for non-american firearms!

IV Troop
February 22, 2006, 01:33 PM
The girls gone wild comment versus the soccer mom is a classic!

Nematocyst
February 24, 2006, 05:13 AM
And rarely do I see mention of Browning on those threads... and they make some very nice rifles...:cool: OK, thanks to you & Sulaco, Browning rifles now have my attention. ;)

Going to have to eat ramen for a month or so to pay the extra, but I'm now convinced it's worth considering. :rolleyes:

'ey, ramen ain't that bad. Beef, chicken, manchurian, shrimp, spicey, sweet and sour...

All in the name of rifledom.

I'd like one of these (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=001B&cat_id=035&type_id=008) in 7mm08, please.

:cool:

Nem

Michael Courtney
February 24, 2006, 08:04 AM
The girls gone wild comment versus the soccer mom is a classic!

Owning a rifle is a long term relationship. The Rem 700 may be a soccer mom of the rifle world, but it is an accurate and reliable rifle. And not all soccer mom's put on 30 lbs.

"Girl's Gone Wild" look great on the shelf, but are ultimately unsatisfying in the long term causing much woe if you bring them home to keep.

Both the Tikka and the Rem 700 are fine rifles that will serve you well and do everything you ask of them. There are some subtle but real distinctions, and it comes down to a matter of person preference once these distinctions are understood.

Michael Courtney

BOOM
February 26, 2006, 01:51 AM
"Owning a rifle is a long term relationship."

Yup! The Remington shines when you do a side by side comparison in the store. The Tikka may shine at the range though, and that counts for a lot! However, it doesn't have to be a tack driver to be an excellent hunting rifle. I think anything under 1.5 MOA is probably just fine for the hunting around here where a 300-350yd shot is likely the longest one would make, and those are VERY rare. The Remington should be able to accomplish that type of accuracy or better, and it would be something that I'd be proud to pass on to my grandson! I believe I'm going to pass on the Tikka.

Nematocyst
February 26, 2006, 06:21 AM
I believe I'm going to pass on the Tikka. Me, too.

Browning (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=001B&cat_id=035&type_id=008).

Nem

BOOM
February 26, 2006, 12:10 PM
Nem, I like the Brownings too - EXCEPT for the Clip/Floorplate magazine. It seems like they couldn't make up their mind whether they wanted a clip or floorplate, so they installed both?!:confused: That's just my personal opinion which ain't worth much, but it if it wasn't for that, a Browning would be higher on my list. The new model Seven CDL looks like it might be a sweet package!

WYO
February 26, 2006, 12:52 PM
I have no personal experience with the Tikka, but all my experiences with 700's have been positive. What I don't like are detachable magazines on hunting rifles. They can get to be a real pain to keep track of. Also, if the rifle is not something that is going to stand the test of time, magazines get to be a real pain to find down the road when they break or get lost. I have a broken plastic magazine on a long out of production rifle, and the rifle is now a single shot.

Remington makes a version of the mountain rifle without the detachable magazine, so that would influence my decision.

matt33
February 26, 2006, 01:29 PM
I have a Remington Mountain Rifle LSS in 30/06. A well respected gunsmith bedded the action, free floated the barrel, and gave it an incredible 2.5 pound trigger. Unfortunately, it had to go back to Remington for some warranty work, and when they shipped it back, they had replaced my exceptional trigger with a heavy and not so smooth factory trigger. Remington claimed it is company policy to return the trigger group to factory spec's. I was bummed, but it still shoots under 1" (with Hornady Custom ammo) at 100 yards.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably buy one in 7mm/08. The 22" barrel may be better suited to a short action cartridge. In general terms, I think Tikka rifles are more accurate than Remingtons, but your results may vary.

BOOM
February 26, 2006, 02:44 PM
WYO, I'm rethinking the desire to have the detachable magazine. However, the Walnut stock only comes w/ DM.

Matt33, I've hunted w/ 30'06 for 25 yrs, and used to think it was the (ONLY;) ) cartridge for hunting deer. The 7mm-08 has gotten my attention because at 200yds, it's closing in on the '06 in speed & energy, and at 300-500yds, it actually has better velocity, energy, and trajectory. All that in a short action! I seldom have opportunities to shoot long distances, but it appears the 7mm-08 is better suited to it than the '06. However, If I had more opportunities to shoot long distances, I'd get the .280. For the type of hunting/shooting I do, the 7-08's getting my money.

Wanderinwalker, forgot to thank you for posting those pics! THX

Bwana John
February 26, 2006, 06:00 PM
I really like my 700 Mnt Rifle in 7mm X 57mm Mauser.
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3228/deer0jo.th.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=deer0jo.jpg)

With a Luepold M8 4X it has been a light, reliable, accurate, and deadly rifle that I have used mostly for backpack hunting.

WYO
February 27, 2006, 11:10 AM
BOOM, you may need to consider joining the ranks of those who buy something that almost fits their needs then switch out pieces parts as necessary. There are a lot of forums where people sell and trade things like stocks and barrels. You also may want to take a look at Kimbers.

Lobotomy Boy
February 27, 2006, 04:07 PM
I have a Remington Mountain Rifle LSS in 30/06. A well respected gunsmith bedded the action, free floated the barrel, and gave it an incredible 2.5 pound trigger. Unfortunately, it had to go back to Remington for some warranty work, and when they shipped it back, they had replaced my exceptional trigger with a heavy and not so smooth factory trigger. Remington claimed it is company policy to return the trigger group to factory spec's. I was bummed, but it still shoots under 1" (with Hornady Custom ammo) at 100 yards.

Sounds like a lot of bother to turn the gun into a NIB Tikka T3, which comes with a free-floating barrel and one of the best stock triggers on the market.

matt33
February 27, 2006, 07:31 PM
I agree that Tikka's are generally better shooters with better triggers. I bought my Mtn. LSS from a legend gunsmith in my area, so I has happy to have him do the mentioned modifications before I even took delivery of the gun.

Having said this, my next bolt action rifle (Sig 556 comes first) will be a Tikka Varmint T3 in .308.

igorts
February 27, 2006, 07:44 PM
another vote for Tikka T3.
submoa from the box at 100, adjustable trigger.
Love it!

Jeff
February 27, 2006, 11:13 PM
matt33 says,

Having said this, my next bolt action rifle (Sig 556 comes first) will be a Tikka Varmint T3 in .308.

I love that rifle, but I just can't stand that plastic magazine. I don't mind the plastic mag on my H&K USP, but on a fine bolt action rifle like the T3, it's just plain wrong.

I'm still debating between the T3 varmint .308 and the Rem 700 LTR for my next purchase.

Maybe the two above could be another thread......

Nematocyst
February 28, 2006, 01:14 AM
I'm still debating between the T3 varmint .308 and the Rem 700 LTR for my next purchase. Jeff, don't overlook the Browning A-Bolts.

On the way to purchasing a 7mm08, I've looked at Savage, Remington, Tikka, Ruger & (more recently) Browning.

I've sort of turned them every which way but loose, looking at pros, cons, reviews, opinions, how they feel in my hands, etc.

I'd virtually narrowed it down to Rem 700 Mt or Tikka T3. Then, a couple of members encouraged me to look at Browning A-Bolts.

I'm virtually convinced now mine is going to be a Browning A-Bolt.

More here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=185159)if you're interested.

Nem

Jeff
February 28, 2006, 02:03 AM
Jeff, don't overlook the Browning A-Bolts.

Oh great, my choice just got more complicated!

I really like those A-bolt Stalkers, both the SS and the composite. Those are nice. And they make that rifle in my original choice-- 7mm-08. Hmmmm....

Thanks, nematocyst. (Would that be more of like a jelly fish nematocyst, or a cone snail nematocyst?)

Nematocyst
February 28, 2006, 02:50 AM
(Would that be more of like a jelly fish nematocyst, or a cone snail nematocyst?) Well, since the latter come from the former via incomplete digestion by the snail, it's your choice. ;)

Good luck with that rifle choice, and keep us posted about what you decide.

Nem

warriorsociologist
February 28, 2006, 03:06 AM
Not long ago I was working on a similar problem. For me it was between the Rem 700 Mountain rifle (LSS), Kimber 84M Montana, and the Sako Finnlight - All in .308. I ended up choosing the Sako after handling all three and test firing all but the Kimber. I was looking for a light-weight "walking rifle" and most of my prior bolt-gun experience was with Rem 700 and pre-64 Win actions.

When all the cards we finally down, the Sako fit me best, was the 2nd lightest, & had the highest capacity (not that this latter factor makes that much difference in a hunting implement), but the Montana was probably the best overall fit & finish (lightest too with its no-frills design and blind mag). I don't regret my choice on the Finnlight, but someday I hope that McMillian will make a replacement stock for it as the one it comes with looks a little too "Flash Gordon" to me. :D I also may look again at the Kimber for a second rifle...

FWIW, my other main "modern rifle" is a FN SPR A1 (.308). (I say "modern" because all of the other 20 or so rifles I own are 50-100 year old mil-surps.)
:cool:

Lobotomy Boy
February 28, 2006, 08:42 AM
You might also want to consider a Savage. The friend who originally turned me on to Tikka is now switching to Savage after shooting one with the Accutrigger system. He claims it is even better than the Tikka.

Regardless, I'll stick with the Tikka, plastic mag and all. As long as the mags prove reliable, I won't complain.

My next rifle will be a Browning, but not an A-Bolt. I plan on getting a BAR Lightweight Stalker in .308 before they quit making that model again.

BOOM
March 2, 2006, 12:34 AM
Gentlemen, thanks for all the feedback!

I believe I may have found my 7-'08. A used 700 in SS with an HS Precision stock. I'll post a picture if I decide to move on it.

BOOM, you may need to consider joining the ranks of those who buy something that almost fits their needs then switch out pieces parts as necessary.

WYO, your comment really got me to thinking in a new dimension. Many thanks! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 700 Mtn or Tikka T3 Hunter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!