Did anyone(country) ever make a full-auto SKS?

PDA

dfaugh
February 18, 2006, 11:16 AM
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, as I've never seen or heard a reference to one...

But I watched "Tears of the Sun" a while back (Great movie, and for the most part they got the "gun stuff" right, much more so than most Hollyweird movies).

But there's a brief clip, in the midst of a firefight where the show a "bad guy" firing what is clearly an SKS (although most of the bad guys had AKs) full auto.

I'm thinking something similar to the M1 vs. M2 carbine, where they made limited numbers of select fire guns. Or did they just move from the SKS to the AK?

Just curiou if anyone knows...

If you enjoyed reading about "Did anyone(country) ever make a full-auto SKS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deer Hunter
February 18, 2006, 12:11 PM
Oh, they make them alright. Trust me on that one. Not sure where you can get them, but I know from experience that a friend of mine had one. It was pretty fun to shoot, he didn't tell me it would be fully automatic the first time I shot it. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised.

Gun handling? It was good in that movie? All I saw were 50-round H&K .45 magazines and really bad shots with AKs.

grimjaw
February 18, 2006, 12:59 PM
The Chinese type 63 was full auto, if this page (http://www.simonov.net/ubertypes.htm) is correct.

jmm

madmonty
February 18, 2006, 02:28 PM
Deer hunter, it's a good possibility that your buddy's SKS fires full-auto due to a mechanical failure...namely a fouled firing-pin pocket...I "altered" a friends SKS for an afternoon of rock and roll the same way. no alteration to the rifle...ATF can't say diddley...

Limeyfellow
February 18, 2006, 02:30 PM
Type 62 Chinese was select fire and could do full automatic fire. They had a different gas tube on them that could adjust the gas flow and a newly designed trigger group with a selector, but are so rare in the US I doubt I ever get to see one.

Chinese Type 81 Carbines were brought out also and can do a three round burst.

Steelcore
February 18, 2006, 02:35 PM
Russians made them for experimental use.With a higher cap mag 20rds I think.China made a version with a detachable AK mag.

MechAg94
February 18, 2006, 02:38 PM
Deer hunter, it's a good possibility that your buddy's SKS fires full-auto due to a mechanical failure...namely a fouled firing-pin pocket...I "altered" a friends SKS for an afternoon of rock and roll the same way. no alteration to the rifle...ATF can't say diddley...
Since you "altered" it, I would like to see you try to explain that to the ATF. :)

rbernie
February 18, 2006, 02:40 PM
Madmonty - welcome to The High Road. :)

no alteration to the rifle...ATF can't say diddley...If the rifle fires more than one round per pull of the trigger, the ATF *can* say diddley regardless of whether the event occured by design or by accident. :what:

Chipperman
February 18, 2006, 03:36 PM
Even if your "alteration" is just putting the firing pin in backwards, it is still an illegal modification.
(Not to mention dangerous, as it can slam-fire out of battery)

Discussing illegal activities is discouraged here, especially for your first post.

Welcome to THR. :)

madmonty
February 18, 2006, 05:25 PM
An over-abundance of cosmoline wouldn't be considered an alteration, would it?:rolleyes:

Oleg Volk
February 18, 2006, 05:36 PM
Thailand had select-fire SKS with 15rd magazines.

OEF_VET
February 18, 2006, 05:41 PM
An over-abundance of cosmoline wouldn't be considered an alteration, would it?:rolleyes:

The question is, would you really be willing to wager 10 years in Club Fed on that bet? Especially considering you'd be betting against the BATFE, and they generally stack the deck in their favor.

If you enjoyed reading about "Did anyone(country) ever make a full-auto SKS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!