7.62x39 where did it all go?

PDA

aerod1
February 18, 2006, 05:12 PM
The last few gun shows I have attended have been noticeably absent of 7.62x39 ammo. The dealers who had any at all wanted three prices for it. What happened? Just a couple months ago I was giving $85.00 for a 1000 round case.
It has always been so cheap. Where did all of the Wolf go?

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x39 where did it all go?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wdlsguy
February 18, 2006, 05:17 PM
Academy has Monarch (Barnaul), $2.86 for a box of 20.

kirkcdl
February 18, 2006, 06:25 PM
I just got 500 rds from Outdoor Marksman,looks like they still have a bit,too: http://www.outdoormarksman.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_63_47&products_id=2

Mannlicher
February 18, 2006, 06:35 PM
I can tell you where a bunch of it went............... :evil:

KCMO
February 18, 2006, 06:37 PM
Surplus is no longer surplus once it's been sold, and prices will change accordingly.

"People seem to forget...."surplus" just means EXTRA!!! Not ETERNAL!!
When it's all sold..surplus is gone! These days..you see it grab it!!
Because it WON't be available like it is now forever.....Wolf.
silver/brown bear are all current manufacture russian stuff...
NOT "surplus"...but it's priced close! Steel cased...."

Quoted from "Hankster" at missouricarry.com forums

innerpiece9
February 18, 2006, 06:44 PM
Yeah...
Both my SKS's have been cold for about a month now......:confused:

Steelcore
February 18, 2006, 07:11 PM
Its all in my basement.8-)I have plenty.Gander Mt. has it for $2.49 a box.

Moondoggie
February 18, 2006, 07:20 PM
Couple of thousand went to my basement, too.

Bridger
February 18, 2006, 08:47 PM
Surplus is no longer surplus once it's been sold, and prices will change accordingly.

"People seem to forget...."surplus" just means EXTRA!!! Not ETERNAL!!
When it's all sold..surplus is gone! These days..you see it grab it!!
Because it WON't be available like it is now forever.....Wolf.
silver/brown bear are all current manufacture russian stuff...
NOT "surplus"...but it's priced close! Steel cased...."

Quoted from "Hankster" at missouricarry.com forums

Except that Wolf 7.62x39 is not surplus.

There are a bunch of RUMORS from "Iraqi army contract" to "venezuala/Hugo chavez" "it got caught up in customs" etc. I have not seen anything that actually validates any of those rumors however, just speculation.

I tried asking wolf outright, but they just told me it would be available again in Dec, which it wasn't. It's around in little spurts here and there, and unfortunately is not near the 70-90 per case that we were paying only a year or two ago.

armoredman
February 18, 2006, 09:23 PM
Cheaper than Dirt says still not available, Sportsman's Guide says April 28th for ordering now. J&G says they get in 500 here and there, and use them to fill backorders. So, backorder, and wait. I got lucky, and picked up an unopened case of Wolf HP from a buddy for $90, when I bought his AK yesterday...

kentucky_smith
February 18, 2006, 09:30 PM
I just bought 10 boxes at my local gunstore for $25. They said they've been low, but are getting shipments in now.

George S.
February 18, 2006, 09:56 PM
Last show I went to in WA, a number of vendors had good supplies of 7.62x39 in both 20-round boxes or either 500 round or 1K round cases and lots of 5.56mm/.223

Doug S
February 18, 2006, 10:15 PM
I was in a gun shop recently and the dealer told me that they were out of 7.62x39 because manufacterers were sending most supplies to the Middle East to supply the Iraqi military. Don't know if it is true, but she was quiet serious and believed what she was telling me.

#shooter
February 18, 2006, 10:45 PM
The demand has been rising due to all those THR members storing 1000's of rounds in their basements. Thanks guys and gals. :D

I have noticed for the last 6 months ammo has been gone from most of the major online and chain stores. You might want to try a gun show to get bulk, but those prices are going up as well. I did notice that my local chain store has got some in for 2.80ish a box/20 last week. Some of the gun shops are selling it for as high as 4.99/box. :cuss:

losangeles
February 18, 2006, 10:46 PM
I was at Turners a few hours ago and they have plenty in inventory.

kennyboy
February 18, 2006, 11:51 PM
You can still buy online in bulk cheaply.

Langenator
February 19, 2006, 12:19 AM
Last gun show I went to (WAC Puyallup, Jan) Wolf was going for $149/1000, which is about what you'll pay from most online vendors, if you include shipping.

One vendor had a couple of cases of Cheetah. I took half a case off his hands. Would have taken more if I had more money.

Remander
February 19, 2006, 12:23 AM
The Wolf 7.62 was $80 per 1,000 rds last year at area gun shows.

Last month, it was $80 for 500 rds. Ouch!

Glad I stocked up last year, and I wish I had bought even more.

MechAg94
February 19, 2006, 12:27 AM
The guns shows around Houston seemed to run out in December, but they were selling it again at a little bit higher price after the 1st. There is another small show in a couple weeks so we'll see if it is still around.

Merkin.Muffley
February 19, 2006, 12:52 AM
Maybe the Brady's have been buying it up to keep it off the street.:neener:

Zen21Tao
February 19, 2006, 12:56 AM
Try www.Ammunitionstore.com they list 1000 rnd of wolf for $110.

(I'm glad I bought ARs instead of AKs.!!:neener: )

Fire4Effect
February 19, 2006, 01:02 AM
Dang, I was at a gun show today in Eastern NC and the cheapest there was going for $5.00 a box... :cuss: By the way one guy has some Chinese 7.62x39 he was charging $15.00 a box for because he said it could not be imported anymore due to the way it was made. :confused: Anybody know anything about Chinese ammo?

Scottmkiv
February 19, 2006, 02:58 AM
Sounds like steel core ammo to me.

Husker1911
February 19, 2006, 09:05 AM
By the way one guy has some Chinese 7.62x39 he was charging $15.00 a box for because he said it could not be imported anymore due to the way it was made. :confused: Anybody know anything about Chinese ammo?
I have a half case (sardine can) of steel core Chinese 7.62x39. It was banned from sale in the early Nineties. Too much penetrative power, evidently. Green label boxes, very plain design.

mordechaianiliewicz
February 19, 2006, 10:01 AM
The demand has been rising due to all those THR members storing 1000's of rounds in their basements. Thanks guys and gals. :D

:) Good. LOL

Actually, you think WOLF hasn't noticed that Americans shooting AKs and SKSs are buying up rediculous ammounts of that ammo.

Around where I'm at, you want WOLF 7.62x39mm it's all HP and it's 6.50
a box of 20!!!

One of two things.
Number one: WOLF dumped the market, and now is going to make a lot more money with wholesalers, stores, etc. charging much more, until someone begins to reasonably price some ammo to compete, and start a price war

OR

The prices on metals have been going up. It is a distinct possibility that this rise in prices along with not much ammo is the result of WOLF having to pay more for raw materials.

Myself, my money is on #1, combined to there perhaps being some ammount of truth to the Venezuela, Iraq contract, but largely, WOLF is simply raising prices b/c of shortage in supply along with enormous demand.

TheArchDuke
February 19, 2006, 10:10 AM
Aw man. I was looking forward to buying an SKS partly because of the cheap ammo.

Kodiak AK
February 19, 2006, 11:15 AM
Peak ammo . :uhoh:

The Real Hawkeye
February 19, 2006, 11:22 AM
I bought a case of Wolf a few years ago, and most of it is still with me. I also have lots of mil surplus. I tend to shoot the Wolf before the surplus, because I save the steel core stuff for the real deal.

Cosmoline
February 19, 2006, 01:35 PM
Where has all the ammo gone?
Long time shooting
Where has all the ammo gone?
Many bullets ago
Where has all the 39 gone?
Gone to the Iraqis every one
When will we ever learn?
When will we ever learn?

redloki
February 19, 2006, 08:07 PM
I was in a gun shop recently and the dealer told me that they were out of 7.62x39 because manufacterers were sending most supplies to the Middle East to supply the Iraqi military. Don't know if it is true, but she was quiet serious and believed what she was telling me.

I was told the same thing by my dealer recently.

briang2ad
February 19, 2006, 10:01 PM
Because the Iraq military is SOOOOO SHOOOORT on AK ammo - not enough dumps of AK around - they wanted to build more. The only way this line might work is if WE decided to make a jobs program for Wolf, and bought NEW Wolf for them, while destroying the rest. In any case, I don't buy it.

71Commander
February 20, 2006, 06:31 AM
Try www.Ammunitionstore.com they list 1000 rnd of wolf for $110.

(I'm glad I bought ARs instead of AKs.!!:neener: )

I bought both.:neener:

Dave Markowitz
February 20, 2006, 08:56 AM
Anyone here remember the primer scare of 1993? Rumors were going around that the .gov was going to clamp down on the sale or reloading components, primers included. It resulted in hoarding; a lot of unusual bulk buying which temporarily sucked all the primers out of the supply channel. It took awhile for the market to correct.

I think we may be seeing the same thing here with the 7.62x39 supply situation. We've got rumors of Russian production being diverted to Iraq, Venezuela buying up ammo, etc. It's resulted in panic buying that's drained the normal supply channels.

It's basic economics that when demand spikes, so does price. Costs for copper (for use in brass and bullet jackets) and fuel (for shipping) have gone up, too. That gets passed on to the consumer.

One of the reasons I buy ammo in bulk is to tide me through times of shortage. I don't have to panic buy 7.62x39 or 5.56x45, because I've laid in a stockpile.

longhorngunman
February 20, 2006, 01:28 PM
Uh, the US gov. is buying up the ammo from somewhere for the Iraqi military. Those old ammo dumps are being blown up when we find them. Yep we are buying new AK ammo to feed those new AK's we are supplying them. How would you expect to train a new fighting force and have them have the morale to perform and give them old crappy equipment?

jeremywills
February 20, 2006, 02:10 PM
hehehehe

I can account for 200 rounds of the stuff, 160 of it is buried in a berm hahaha :)

Joking aside, Academy stores around here have been very short on supply of the Monarch stuff, twice I went to get some in the past few weeks and nada, they called around and I was told dont bother driving to the next store, they were out too, so I said screw it, I went in there this past fri and viola, jackpot, so I bought up 200 rounds worth, hell Im assuming like me when its coming in sparsely people are snatching it up, I took about a third of what the guy said they got, and for them thats light compared to thier normal supply, so even they have been wondering, this whole Military in Iraq thing could be legit maybe, who knows. I decided I had better not burn it all up and kept 2 boxes intact because an empty gun is no good in a HD situation :(

If you find it in stock right now it would be smart to buy it up if your planning to do some lengthy shooting

joka667
February 20, 2006, 02:18 PM
If the Iraqis are on the american side shouldn't they be getting m-16's? Why are we giving them red army rifles? Sounds like we're sending them mixed messages.

ID_shooting
February 20, 2006, 02:22 PM
I hit a gun show yesterday. Only 7 boxes of non-US 7.62x39, note that is 7 boxes not cases :what: I bought the last 5. Paid $4.00 a box as well :confused:

kentucky_smith
February 20, 2006, 02:33 PM
If the Iraqis are on the american side shouldn't they be getting m-16's? Why are we giving them red army rifles? Sounds like we're sending them mixed messages.
I would imagine they are in abundance, with captured stockpiles. Would you rather they issued captured guns with common ammo, or buy them new Colts?

itgoesboom
February 20, 2006, 02:49 PM
I would imagine they are in abundance, with captured stockpiles. Would you rather they issued captured guns with common ammo, or buy them new Colts?

Actually, we are buying them new AK-47s. Can't remember what country is building them, but we are buying them.

Was a few articles around last year on it.

The thing to remember is those AK-47s that they had were beat up, old, shot out, and made by various makers.

Now they get new, consistant rifles for their military.

I.G.B.

Seven High
February 20, 2006, 03:12 PM
Iran recently bought a large quantity of AK47s, ammunition and accesories from Russia. They are getting ready for war with the USA. Wolf is russian ammunition. Thats where it is going.

MechAg94
February 20, 2006, 03:21 PM
I heard Venezuela did the same.

You would think the US would buy Polish weapons or some from another full blown ally, not China.

For my own ammo, I am not short right now, but if I find a case for a fair price, I'll buy it. Right now all I have are the hollow points so I need to find a case of FMJ and maybe some soft point. There are a couple gun shows over the next two weeks I can try.

RaetherEnt
February 20, 2006, 06:35 PM
Went into my local gunstore yesterday and they have 4 or 5 thousand rounds...at $199 / 1000! Oh well, I guess if they can get it! I've got plenty right now, but like someone else has said, the barrels on the AK's and SKS's are getting pretty cold!

Pork Fat
February 20, 2006, 07:39 PM
I had been kicking around the idea of picking up one of the lesser-expensive
AK variants in 5.45, but more or less settled on shopping for a 7.62 due to the cheaper and bountiful plethora of ammo. I haven't been to a big gun show lately, and was wondering if the 5.45 that used to hide in the shadows
is starting to get noticed, or is it proportionally as scarce as the 7.62?

I am wondering about the logic of providing 7.62 weapons and ammo to the Iraqis because that is what they already have,
against the statements that what they already have is worn out junk (rifles) or blown up in place (ammo).
If they need to start with a clean slate, which sounds plausible, why not
REALLY start fresh with the 5.45x39 in new rifles.

You have to buy new rifles anyway, apparently new ammunition too, get something that will make it a little more difficult for the insurgents. If they capture/steal a few rifles, not so handy without the ammo, and vice versa.
If enough rifles AND rounds go to the dark side, it should be a little easier to tell where the problem is.

If we are buying rifles from China, that ticks me off. I know Russia did not
distinguish herself over the whole Iraq thing, so screw them too. But I believe
that there is manufacturing capacity in Poland, Bulgaria, Romania or SOMEPLACE that doesn't screw us on an hourly basis.There are AK plants all
over, whether AK-47 or 74. Ooh I know- let's give 'em Yugo SKS's (SKS'?)
or better yet , Mini 14's with factory 5 round mags!

Sorry, that kind went all over the place. I'll try to tighten my posts up.:o

Pork Fat
February 20, 2006, 07:48 PM
Sorry, double post

paccw
February 20, 2006, 08:11 PM
Remeber when they banned the steel core ammo.:fire:

We have TONS of steel core ammo around the world.

Get the ban dropped and we will have more ammo then we can shoot.:evil:

Remander
February 21, 2006, 10:54 AM
This was included in an e-mail I received from gunsnetwork:

Wolf Ammunition~
Now back to other news from the Shot Show, I spoke with the
CEO of Wolf Ammunition, what I got from our conversation
was this. They are doubling the amount of ammo being shipped
into the USA. The amount of ammo being ordered by
Sportsmanís Guide has also double to keep up with the Guns Network
Community. Wolf has gone out and brought in other
manufacturers to help produce more ammunition components to keep up
with the very popular demands for 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and .223
rifle calibers. Talking also with Sportsmanís Guide also
gave me more insight as to what was happening in regards to
Wolf Ammo orders. They too have also double their Wolf
ammunition orders and are filling back orders as soon as the
pallets are unloaded. 5.45x39 is coming thru folks and more
is on the water, so please be patient as the amount of Wolf
Ammunition orders thru Sportsmanís Guide has become a
positive problem but a problem none the less. One they did not
expect in regards to volume of orders our members threw at
them in such a short amount of time. This is the most
ammunition they have ever in a million years ever think they
could move. Sportsmanís Guide has become THE place where
Wolf Ammunition can be had at an affordable price, thankfully
to the Sportsmanís Guide Monthly Discount Coupons:
http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=266635

Thoresten
February 22, 2006, 08:48 AM
I also got the "shipped it all to Iraq" story.

mondocomputerman
February 22, 2006, 11:00 AM
I emailed them, and got this response on 2-20-2006:

We are continuously shipping out more 7.62x39 to our distributors and
chains. Contact them for more information on when it will be available. Most
retailers have numerous back orders they have to fill. Around the end of
March you should see 7.62x39 in stock with most retailers. Thank you for
your inquiry and interest in WOLF Performance Ammunition.

Sincerely,

WOLF Ammo

garrett1955
February 22, 2006, 03:42 PM
I emailed them, and got this response on 2-20-2006:

We are continuously shipping out more 7.62x39 to our distributors and
chains. Contact them for more information on when it will be available. Most
retailers have numerous back orders they have to fill. Around the end of
March you should see 7.62x39 in stock with most retailers. Thank you for
your inquiry and interest in WOLF Performance Ammunition.

Sincerely,

WOLF Ammo

sounds good to me!:)

Cosmoline
February 22, 2006, 04:12 PM

Clearly, you don't work for the federal government. Those bright boys have decided to DESTROY all captured AK's and buy BRAND NEW ones from Romania and other East block nations for the Iraqi defense forces. The price is obscenely high.

civilian
February 22, 2006, 04:40 PM
as much as i hate what they've done to galyans, dick's sporting goods had 20 round boxes of the umc stuff for $12.50 or 14.50 - forget which now.

garrett1955
February 22, 2006, 04:55 PM
as much as i hate what they've done to galyans, dick's sporting goods had 20 round boxes of the umc stuff for $12.50 or 14.50 - forget which now.

holy .... thats a lot of money. for that price I'd rather shoot the 30-06!:eek:

MechAg94
February 22, 2006, 05:23 PM
This was included in an e-mail I received from gunsnetwork:

Wolf Ammunition~
Now back to other news from the Shot Show, I spoke with the
CEO of Wolf Ammunition, what I got from our conversation
was this. They are doubling the amount of ammo being shipped
into the USA. The amount of ammo being ordered by
Sportsmanís Guide has also double to keep up with the Guns Network
Community. Wolf has gone out and brought in other
manufacturers to help produce more ammunition components to keep up
with the very popular demands for 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and .223
rifle calibers. Talking also with Sportsmanís Guide also
gave me more insight as to what was happening in regards to
Wolf Ammo orders. They too have also double their Wolf
ammunition orders and are filling back orders as soon as the
pallets are unloaded. 5.45x39 is coming thru folks and more
is on the water, so please be patient as the amount of Wolf
Ammunition orders thru Sportsmanís Guide has become a
positive problem but a problem none the less. One they did not
expect in regards to volume of orders our members threw at
them in such a short amount of time. This is the most
ammunition they have ever in a million years ever think they
could move. Sportsmanís Guide has become THE place where
Wolf Ammunition can be had at an affordable price, thankfully
to the Sportsmanís Guide Monthly Discount Coupons:
http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=266635
Sounds like all the cheap SKS's and Romanian AK's on the market have increased demand. I guess there is also less surplus ammo available as well which takes away cheap alternatives.

Buzztail
February 22, 2006, 05:23 PM
I can tell you where a bunch of it went............... :evil:

You been peekin' in my window? :evil:

jeremywills
February 22, 2006, 06:03 PM
Im gonna head over to a local gunsmith here in town that had some of the Wolf HP stuff for 3 bucks a box. Its been a while since I been over there though I hope he still has some. He unfortunately has very limited hours and is only open a few days a week now. I hope the drive is worth it. I might have him check the headspace on my newly acquired m48a though so its all good.

MechAg94
February 22, 2006, 10:42 PM
Oh well. I expect to visit the gun show in Conroe, TX this weekend. We'll see if anyone has some cases.

The_Shootist
February 22, 2006, 11:14 PM
Well, I'm a newbie to the AK fold. Ordered a hicap Wasr-10 yesterday, but on Sun ordered 500 rds of Wolf AK 7.62x39 122 HP from Cheaperthandirt - total price with delivery $86.

Pricey? Yeah, but it was available. Arrived today in fact. I maybe could have done a bit better, but with the AK's arrival likely before the weekend, I wanted a stash of ammo on hand to at least try it out.

Just waiting for the extra 30 rd Bulgarian mag to arrive. If all goes according to plan, I have a suspicion I might burn that 500 rounds before noon. Then I can go ammo shopping again online that night :evil:

Hopefully I'll get bored shooting my AK before I go bankrupt :eek: . Or else the ammo price comes down.

Ranger J
February 23, 2006, 09:34 AM
From the layers of steel case empties that pave the shooting areas of the Department of Conservation public ranges here in Missouri it is obvious where most of it has gone. In fact the sale of it was probably the only thing holding the Russian economy up during the last few years. If they have truly run out of the stuff I would quickly sell all my Russian Treasurery Notes.;)
RJ

Joe Mamma
February 23, 2006, 10:20 AM
So much for 7.62 x 39 being great SHTF ammo because there have been millions of AK's and SKS's produced, so the ammo will always be easy to get, cheap, etc.

Live and learn.

Joe Mamma

Kurt
February 23, 2006, 09:44 PM
Layer and diversify, Joe.

;)

Gewehr98
February 23, 2006, 10:50 PM
So much for 7.62 x 39 being great SHTF ammo because there have been millions of AK's and SKS's produced, so the ammo will always be easy to get, cheap, etc.

Live and learn.

Buy a Dillon and reload. I've stockpiled about 10K of 7.62x39, all produced by a Dillon 550. My AK and SKS rifles are sitting pretty, thank you. You can whine about it, or take positive measures to lay in a long-term supply. ;)

Joe Mamma
February 23, 2006, 11:12 PM
Layer and diversify, Joe.

;)

Already done :)

Joe Mamma

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x39 where did it all go?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!