Beretta Stampeed vs Ruger Vaquero?

PDA

355sigfan
February 18, 2006, 09:07 PM
I sold my Colt Cowboy a few months back for financial reasons. I am doing better now and would like a new single action 45 colt. I loved the finish on the Beretta, But I also have had good luck with Ruger in the past. Can you point me to a nice single action army clone for under $500
Pat

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Stampeed vs Ruger Vaquero?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sistema1927
February 19, 2006, 12:01 AM
Take a look at the Taurus Gaucho.

355sigfan
February 19, 2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks for your reply but I am not a Taurus fan.
Pat

StrikeEagle
February 19, 2006, 02:07 AM
I understand that the Stampede handles like a real SAA. Ruger, of course does not. I don't regard Rugers as SAAs at all, but high quality look-alikes. Internally they are totally different.

I like 'authenticity' in guns of this type. I'd get the Stampede.

StrikeEagle

Jim March
February 19, 2006, 03:48 AM
Ruger, of course, DOES finally handle like an SAA with the "New Vaquero". It's built on a new smaller frame size and is as much of a "near clone" of the Colt SAA as the Stampede or Gaucho.

The Ruger uses coil springs throughout. They have a MUCH better aftermarket support base than the Gaucho or Stampede by a huge margin already. Belt Mountain has base pins already, although they're not yet listed on their website. All "New Model" grip frames fit the New Vaq if you also swap mainsprings and struts. My New Vaq is now sporting a SuperBlackHawk hammer and I've established that a LOT of internal parts from the New Model Blackhawk and original Vaquero (larger frame) fit the new series of gun, including hammers, triggers, pawls and virtually all the various springs and screws. Ruger very wisely recycled a lot of components. This also allows use of all sorts of "hot rod parts" already developed by Power Custom and numerous others.

The New Vaq loading drill differs from the Old Vaq and other New Model Rugers. You still open the loading gate with the hammer down in a non-Colt-traditional manner, but the cylinder bores now line up with the loading gate at each rotational "click point" just like a Colt. The result is VERY fast and positive.

Quality control on my specimen was excellent. Windage is dead on, elevation just a hair low with 125/130gr loads and probably dead on with 158s (mine is a 357). Timing is excellent, barrel gap is very small and she doesn't throw any flyers. Ruger has a new process for making cylinders where each one is drilled individually on a jig that spins each one up to be worked on. This isn't quite line boring but it's an improvement over the six-drill-at-a-time process used previously which was more likely to produce a "flyer cylinder bore".

There are tiny flaws here and there, close to "magnifying glass needed to see" level. Nothing that bothers me. Some visible machine marks in the bottom of the sight gutter, a couple of half-millimeter-long glitches along the lower edge of the frame where it meets the grip frame, and there's a tiny blemish behind the front sight. Again, you have to LOOK HARD to see any of these things.

The "fake color case" is cosmetically...well not bad, but not even close to what real case hardening looks like. Mine is more of a "smoky gray all over", which looks good enough in it's own right. What matters more to me is that this finish seems to be more rust-resistant than I've heard reported for the "first generation" Ruger fake color case...I suspect they've reformulated the process for better rust protection at the expense of "authentic looks", basically losing any hint of brown/red. My gun has small tinges of blue, otherwise it's various shades of gray. The mottling pattern itself is quite decent.

It looks fine but it's more obvious it's not real color-case.

I suspect the New Vaq is the best of the "transfer bar SAAs", esp. for heavy users or those pondering modifications beyond CAS/SASS legality :).

355sigfan
February 19, 2006, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the info I was leaning Ruger and now more so.
Pat

Jim March
February 19, 2006, 05:15 AM
Oh, and from what I hear Ruger finally has the 45LC cylinder dimensions done right on the New Vaqs in that caliber. Like I say, it's a whole new cylinder-makin' process :). No more undersize and funky-variable throats :).

There was a recall on the first batch of New Vaqs. I'm not certain of the serial number range but I believe it's down under 2,000. Mine is a 5,000 series and again, QC is excellent. They've been selling like hotcakes to the CAS/SASS crowd so your odds of finding a new low-number "needs recall" model are slim and Ruger took care of those folks.

355sigfan
February 22, 2006, 04:19 AM
I wanted the Vaquera but no one had one in stock so I went with the Stampeed. Its nice looking I hope I made a good choice. Thanks for your input guys. The only thing off the bad I don't like about the stampeed is the cheap plastic grips. It came with two sets because the ones on it are cracked.
Pat

Jim March
February 22, 2006, 05:00 AM
The good news is that it's a close enough Colt SAA clone to take most SAA grips, as long as they're bought a bit oversize and fitted to your gun.

There's a gun out there called a "Stampede Marshal" with a different grip patterned after the Colt "Lightning". Some Cimmaron guns also come with this grip:

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/thunderer-lightning.htm - it's the "Thunderer" that is similar in size to your gun.

As near as I can tell, you can buy that grip frame setup and put it on a Stampede! Buy the parts from Cimmaron: you want both halves of the grip frame (frontstrap and backstrap), the grips and all associated screws.

Now, I wasn't able to confirm that but it stands to reason as the Cimmaron guns are made by Uberti same as the Stampede.

If this turns you on, take the grips off your Stampede and make sure it's a "flat spring" setup versus coil. I'm 98% sure it's flat. If so, the odds you can fit Cimmaron Thunderer grip frame bits is extremely high. Ain't very expensive when I looked into this, Cimmaron has a "parts" section of their site, check it out. I'd call Cimmaron for availability of these bits for the Thunderer.

caleb
February 22, 2006, 09:57 AM
I have both the New Vaguero and the Stampede in .357 After about 100 rounds of 357 the Vaguero would get difficult to work and it locked up a couple times. The Beretta has functioned perfectly. It's more accurate, better looking, and smoother functioning gun altogether. I was surprised at the quality difference of the Beretta. C

asknight
February 22, 2006, 01:14 PM
Beretta owns Taurus now.

Did Beretta and Taurus not work together and share blueprints and engineering samples between the two companies on the development of the Gaucho and Stampede in order to release them to the market at the same time?

Frandy
February 22, 2006, 02:10 PM
Beretta owns Taurus now.

Is this true?

I have both the New Vaguero and the Stampede in .357 After about 100 rounds of 357 the Vaguero would get difficult to work and it locked up a couple times. The Beretta has functioned perfectly. It's more accurate, better looking, and smoother functioning gun altogether. I was surprised at the quality difference of the Beretta. C
I would never be one to knock the New Vaquero. I would even like to have one. But I too have a .357 Stampede and have nothing but good things to say about it.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27017&d=1122559860

Jim March
February 22, 2006, 03:35 PM
Caleb, if your New Vaq was like mine it has a very tight barrel-to-cylinder gap. Personally I *like* that as it increases bullet velocity but it does mean more frequent cleaning. It's a tradeoff. It's easy enough to expand the gap if you need to (flat knife sharpening stone to the back end of the barrel, go slow, check it often!) if it's too narrow for your tastes.

Personally, if it'll go 100 rounds before needing a wipedown, that would be fine by me. My snubbie is so tight it'll only go about 50. But with a 2" barrel 38spl, bullet velocity is very critical so to me that's a "feature, not a bug".

Oh, and the 45LC will tend to do bigger soot particles than most 38 and 357 loads, so it's quite possible if Ruger is setting the gaps the same between calibers that the 357 buyers are happy while the 45 folks aren't - esp. if they're CAS/SASS guys shooting "the holy black".

Lone_Gunman
February 22, 2006, 03:52 PM
Beretta owns Taurus now.

Are you sure about that?

Beretta recently acquired Uberti. But I have not heard about them buying Taurus.

355sigfan
February 22, 2006, 06:23 PM
Beretta does not own Taurus. Must be some mis-information out there. I want to buy a Uberty Scofield copy. (break top smith) next. Is it really un common for cow boy action shooters to have two types of six guns?
Pat

ArmedBear
February 22, 2006, 06:39 PM
Gun Tests really likes the new Heritage Arms Rough Rider in .45LC. It's nothing like their cheap .22's.

They just rated the Taurus Gaucho a "Don't Buy" and the Heritage Arms a "Best Buy" at $379 in blue.

Gun Tests tests every SAA clone, I think. Subscribe. It's worth the $24 for some really good reviews.

I'd lean towards a Uberti (add Wolff Springs) or a Cimarron Uberti. Evil Roy model if you don't mind spending a little extra to save on gunsmithing later. No transfer bar, so it's a 5-shooter if you want to carry it on the trail. But SASS requires an empty chamber anyway, so for competition you get the benefit of a smoother, simpler, easier-to-slick-up action when you get a real Colt-style action (unlike the Stampede, Gaucho or Ruger, all of which feel weird to me since I'm used to the simple click-click-click of my Uberti with Wolffs).

My impression of the Stampede action is rather negative because they seem to jam, even just at the store. That could just be my small sample size.

I will say, the Ruger New Vaquero feels pretty good for a transfer-bar gun and it's well-built.

Also, the USFA Rodeo can be found in that same price range. Not as pretty, but man it's a shooter! A purpose-built competition gun. Other models run a good deal more, but also beautiful!

f4t9r
February 22, 2006, 06:41 PM
Beretta Stampeed
You will be Happy :D

Lone_Gunman
February 22, 2006, 06:42 PM
I have Uberti Schofield replica in 44-40. It is a nice looking gun and works fine, but is not particularly accurate. It groups around 4-5 inches at 50 feet. Also, when I first got it, it shot pretty high, and I had to file down about a quarter of an inch of the front sight.

I have heard the inaccuracy is common with the Uberti Schofield in 44-40, because the bore diameter is larger than the 44-40 bullet. I think it is the diameter of the 44 special.

This thread talks about that:
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=181477&highlight=schofield+bore

georgeduz
February 22, 2006, 06:45 PM
i have 2 rugers never a problem.

SixForSure
February 22, 2006, 06:50 PM
........... Also, when I first got it, it shot pretty high, and I had to file down about a quarter of an inch of the front sight.
Seems to me that would make it shoot higher.:confused: :confused: :confused:

355sigfan
February 22, 2006, 06:51 PM
Gun Tests really likes the new Heritage Arms Rough Rider in .45LC. It's nothing like their cheap .22's.

They just rated the Taurus Gaucho a "Don't Buy" and the Heritage Arms a "Best Buy" at $379 in blue.

Gun Tests tests every SAA clone, I think. Subscribe. It's worth the $24 for some really good reviews.

I'd lean towards a Uberti (add Wolff Springs) or a Cimarron Uberti. Evil Roy model if you don't mind spending a little extra to save on gunsmithing later. No transfer bar, so it's a 5-shooter if you want to carry it on the trail. But SASS requires an empty chamber anyway, so for competition you get the benefit of a smoother, simpler, easier-to-slick-up action when you get a real Colt-style action (unlike the Stampede, Gaucho or Ruger, all of which feel weird to me since I'm used to the simple click-click-click of my Uberti with Wolffs).

My impression of the Stampede action is rather negative because they seem to jam, even just at the store. That could just be my small sample size.

I will say, the Ruger New Vaquero feels pretty good for a transfer-bar gun and it's well-built.

Also, the USFA Rodeo can be found in that same price range. Not as pretty, but man it's a shooter! A purpose-built competition gun. Other models run a good deal more, but also beautiful!

I have worked the action a bit now with the firing pin protector on the cylinder. How were they jamming?
Pat

355sigfan
February 22, 2006, 06:53 PM
Seems to me that would make it shoot higher.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thats correct filing down raises the point of impact. I had to do it on a Vaquero I used to own.
Pat

ArmedBear
February 22, 2006, 06:56 PM
I have worked the action a bit now with the firing pin protector on the cylinder. How were they jamming?
Pat

Can't say, since they weren't mine. And for said reason they won't be.:)

Lots of good options out there.

runninmike
February 22, 2006, 07:11 PM
That Stampede is one beautiful revolver. I handled one at Turner's in Socal and it had deep beautiful blue like an old Colt Python-Royal blue. I'm planning to add one to my fun box in.357 or .45 colt. I think I was told that Beretta has bought a popular Italian replica maker, hence the beauty of the Stampede. Don't quote me on this though but it makes sense. I thought I was told Uberti?
Best-MC

ArmedBear
February 22, 2006, 07:26 PM
That Stampede is one beautiful revolver. I handled one at Turner's in Socal and it had deep beautiful blue like an old Colt Python-Royal blue. I'm planning to add one to my fun box in.357 or .45 colt. I think I was told that Beretta has bought a popular Italian replica maker, hence the beauty of the Stampede. Don't quote me on this though but it makes sense. I thought I was told Uberti?
Best-MC

Yes.

And Uberti also sells guns with charcoal blueing, as does Cimarron, whose guns are also from Uberti.

Apart from the Stampede, Ubertis have real Colt SAA design actions, firing pin on the hammer. Real smooth.

Some examples of Cimarron Ubertis:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/prodimg/CA905S.jpg

http://www.buffaloarms.com/prodimg/MP503.jpg

http://www.buffaloarms.com/prodimg/SCM038.jpg

http://www.buffaloarms.com/prodimg/CA244B.jpg

http://www.buffaloarms.com

Lone_Gunman
February 23, 2006, 01:13 AM
OOPS...

I meant that Schofield shot pretty low!!

Filing down the front sight a quarter of an inch fixed that problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Stampeed vs Ruger Vaquero?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!