Accuract difference between 18" and 20" bbl?

PDA

C-grunt
February 18, 2006, 10:15 PM
Title says it. How much of an accuracy difference would there be for the same AR with a 16 and 20 inch barrel? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Accuract difference between 18" and 20" bbl?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Don't Tread On Me
February 18, 2006, 10:23 PM
Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy in an AR-15 (and very little to do in other firearms for that matter)

There are those who get 24" barrels, and those who get 16" barrels. Both can be very accurate. Other factors are more important, such as chamber, crown, rifling, free floating etc... Overall quality of the barrel and the conditions in which it is used are more important. Length doesn't mean much.

A bull-barreled 16" in stainless with a match chamber, made by a shop like Krieger will out perform a 20" barrel made by Colt with a 5.56 NATO chamber, chrome lining, government profile. A 24" barrel made by Lilja will out perform a 16" barrel made by Bushmaster....

Ifishsum
February 18, 2006, 10:32 PM
If you're gonna scope it, shorter fatter barrels are typically the most accurate if you're good enough to notice the slight difference.

If you're using open sights, the longer sight radius on the longer barrel makes it easier to shoot the rifle more accurately.

C-grunt
February 19, 2006, 02:43 AM
Thanks guys, I think Im going with the 16 inch for more "handiness".:D

dfaugh
February 19, 2006, 10:07 AM
Saw an article in a magazine, a few years back, where they started with a 26" barrel, and cut 2" off until they got to 16" (Crown was re-done each time)...They found NO detectable difference in accuracy, although of course, velocity was reduced, with each cut. This was a bolt action .308, but I'm sure its applicable to pretty much any gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Accuract difference between 18" and 20" bbl?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!