Just finished building an A3, need sight

PDA

Lobotomy Boy
February 19, 2006, 10:14 PM
I just purchased a DPMS lower with a collapsable stock to go with a DPMS flat top 16-inch upper with a full-length tube and handguard. It's a bit on the freaky looking side but highly functional. I'm now shopping for optics. I like the EOTech 550, but have some questions.

1. Does Bushnell own EOTech? I've had a hard time finding the EOTech website, though there is a Bushnell EOTech site.

2. Will I need a riser? The DPMS folks had a EOTech 550 mounted on a flat top without a riser and it looked like it worked pretty well.

3. The cheapest 550 I found was at RB Precision, for $300. It appears that the version that takes AA batteries is $50 more. I tried to verify this, but as I said, the EOTech website is pretty confusing.

I thought I'd wait to get optics and take my time, but after assembling the gun I now want to hit the range ASAP.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just finished building an A3, need sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OEF_VET
February 19, 2006, 11:08 PM
Whatever electric sight you purchase, make sure to buy some form of back-up iron sight (BUIS). I assure you , the one time your electro-sight will fail will be the one time you really need it. I'd suggest something like the ARMS #40, or a YHM flip-up rear sight. There are cheaper versions available, but they won't fold-down, out of the line of sight for when you don't need them. (Make sure you train with your irons, in addition to your electro-sight. There's no substitute for training.)

Here's the EOTech website: http://www.eotech-inc.com/index2.php

It's not a very good site, but it'll give you a starting point. They also have a new version, the 553, which uses CR123 batteries. It's priced somewhere north of $500.

Personally, I use the 551 A65 Rev.F, which is the night-vision compatible version, powered by N size batteries, with rubber-coated buttons. I will, in the future, be replacing it with a 553. I already have a Surefire M900A on my carbine, which uses CR123's, so I will have a common power source. I don't use a riser on my EOTech, and it works just fine.

Lobotomy Boy
February 19, 2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks. A fellow High Roader who guided me through the process of building the gun (and saved me a few hundred dollars in the process) also suggested a flip-up backup sight, so I plan to get something like that. I may even do that before getting the EOTech because now I can hardly wait to get the money for an EOTech before I start shooting the gun.

pcf
February 20, 2006, 07:13 AM
2. Will I need a riser? The DPMS folks had a EOTech 550 mounted on a flat top without a riser and it looked like it worked pretty well.

You do not need a riser, I use a LaRue mount, but it's certainly not needed.
The best thing is the quick detach capability, I can take the sight off while cleaning, mount a scope, etc, and return the sight with no shift in zero.

3. The cheapest 550 I found was at RB Precision, for $300. It appears that the version that takes AA batteries is $50 more. I tried to verify this, but as I said, the EOTech website is pretty confusing.

EOTECH has a MAP policy for their products. www.brighflashlights.net and www.bravocompanyusa.com will be able give you a decent amount off if you order over the phone. When I bought my EOTECH 512 last year it cost $307.

I think the price, availability, and convenience of AA batteries is more than worth the extra money. Unless you're out of rail space I don't see any reason to buy the "N" battery models.

Whatever electric sight you purchase, make sure to buy some form of back-up iron sight (BUIS). I assure you , the one time your electro-sight will fail will be the one time you really need it. I'd suggest something like the ARMS #40, or a YHM flip-up rear sight. There are cheaper versions available, but they won't fold-down, out of the line of sight for when you don't need them. (Make sure you train with your irons, in addition to your electro-sight. There's no substitute for training.)

Read the original post wrong never mind...

Gewehr98
February 20, 2006, 07:47 AM
When I saw the topic line, I thought he had just finished building a 1903A3, and needed a rear sight. I was ready to hop in and volunteer a spare one I have. :o

Bartholomew Roberts
February 20, 2006, 10:36 AM
EOtech is a separate company from Bushnell; but they have a deal with Bushnell where Bushnell will market their sights for hunting/recreational shooting under the Bushnell name.

EOtech also recently released its new 553 sight at the 2006 SHOT Show, so I imagine if you wait a while, you should be able to get a good deal on the older EOtechs by checking the "For Sale" forums on various boards.

Lobotomy Boy
February 20, 2006, 10:47 AM
That sounds like wise advise. I might just get a BUIS and wait for a deal on an older EOTech.

Thanks.

OEF_VET
February 20, 2006, 11:39 AM
That sounds like wise advise. I might just get a BUIS and wait for a deal on an older EOTech.

Thanks.

That right there is probably the wisest way you could choose to spend your money. Give it a month or two and there will likely be a flood of used EOTechs available. In the meantime, you can practice with your irons.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just finished building an A3, need sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!