History Channel: Conquest

PDA

Correia
April 14, 2003, 03:05 PM
This is a pretty interesting show, comes on right after Mail Call. The premise is that a group of people learn how to fight and win some sort of competition. They have done Gladiators, Knights, stone age man, and a few others.

Well last night was SWAT. :) It was pretty darn cool.

Lots of SWAT weapons. Appeared to be good gun handling. Simunitions, tactics. Fingers off the triggers, muzzles in safe directions. (mostly).

And surprisingly it actually looked like the host knew how to shoot! And he is British. :p Go figure. I believe his name is Peter Woodward. He was tackling steel targets with a Glock and an MP5 pretty darn good.

If you enjoyed reading about "History Channel: Conquest" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Schuey2002
April 14, 2003, 03:06 PM
Just when he has a cool show like that, I miss it..

:banghead: :banghead:

Mike Irwin
April 14, 2003, 03:07 PM
Crap. I missed that one, too!

Peter Woodward has done some REALLY interesting stuff for the History Channel.

His series on ancient Egypt was pretty fantastic.

Boats
April 14, 2003, 03:08 PM
Peter Woodward may as well be an American, you should have heard him gush about living in this country when he got to enter a demolition derby, something he could readily do in Australia and New Zealand IIRC.

I certainly have no problem with foreigners who "get" what America is really about contrasted against their homelands.

Boats
April 14, 2003, 03:09 PM
You still have a chance. Though Mail Call and Conquest premiere new episodes on Sunday night, they are replayed on Monday evening at 8:00-9:00.

Frohickey
April 14, 2003, 03:10 PM
They need to do cowboys and indians.

CZ-75
April 14, 2003, 04:29 PM
Woodward DID learn how to become a rodeo cowboy by going to a bull riding school.

I think he managed to stay on for the full 8 seconds, but only because he drew a creampuff (relatively speaking) bull, which he admitted was his good luck.

SADshooter
April 14, 2003, 04:42 PM
Saw the show, thought it was great. Woodward spoke as though he had trained before the rest of his "team". All the tactical commentary seemed sound to my untrained ears. And yes, I really wanna shoot Simunitons through an MP-5SD.:evil:

Dannyboy
April 14, 2003, 04:44 PM
I've been meaning to post something about this show for weeks now but it always slips my mind. It's one of the better shows on TV these days. The one about the Vikings was really cool.

chaim
April 14, 2003, 06:08 PM
I've seen many episodes of this show but I haven't seen it in a few weeks. It is one of the more entertaining shows on TV. But, just like Mail Call, I have had to stop watching it. Whenever I watch those shows I just get too jealous and I can't stand it anymore- I just keep thinking how cool it would be to have a gig like one of those.:cool:

cool45auto
April 14, 2003, 09:39 PM
Both shows are great, I try not to miss them. Of course this one episode of Conquest I missed.:(

mrstang01
April 14, 2003, 10:52 PM
Awesome show, Peter Woodward has the coolest job in the world. How do I get to be one of his team? I'd love to go to work then!

Michael

Neal Bloom
April 14, 2003, 10:55 PM
I like Conquest. Very informative show. As luck would have it I missed this one.

DeltaElite
April 14, 2003, 11:02 PM
Peter Woodward is the son of Edward Woodward (Robert McCall) of "Equalizer" fame.
Peter was in the short live Babylon 5 spinoff, "Crusade", his dad was in one episode also.

Conquest is a cool show, I wish I had seen it. Maybe in reruns.

Mike Irwin
April 14, 2003, 11:07 PM
Well, they didn't rerun conquest this evening.

They ran 2 episodes of Mail Call.

Not bad, especially the section on the trebuchets, but I would like to have seen the SWAT episode of conquest.

Arkady
April 14, 2003, 11:15 PM
I love that show.

Did anyone else notice that when Peter Woodward took a hit in the arm he dropped his longarm (MP5-SD) and transitioned to his sidearm (Glock) so that he wouldnt be using the injured arm? These guys really pay attention to details..

It is kind of weird to see him not dressed in black and playing with really futuristic technology--Crusade was a really good show.

MrKandiyohi
April 15, 2003, 01:17 AM
When I watched Partriot with Mel Gibson, I recognized Woodward as one of the British officers.

Woodward DID learn how to become a rodeo cowboy by going to a bull riding school.

I think he managed to stay on for the full 8 seconds, but only because he drew a creampuff (relatively speaking) bull, which he admitted was his good luck.

I guess that's one way to look at it. OTOH, you could say that the rodeo trainers gave him a creampuff so he wouldn't fail. Not saying that they did, but maybe....yeah, probably was just the luck of the draw. :)

Ol' Badger
April 15, 2003, 10:20 AM
That thar Blond gal knows how to handle the steel too. Not to shabby looking either. But I'm always falling for gals with knives, just like the girl from the Deer processing place I go to. She's cute and can skin a deer in no time flat!:)

synoptic
April 15, 2003, 12:24 PM
well, it looks like they did rerun Conquest: Urban Ops, but it was monday morning at 2:30am. What is frustrating is they are showing the Unarmed Combat episode like 5 times in a 2 week period...

If you enjoyed reading about "History Channel: Conquest" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!