Johnny Yuma was a "Rebel"

PDA

Beartracker
February 20, 2006, 12:32 PM
Anyone on here old enough to remember the "Rebel" with Nick Adams? Watched it all the time on TV when I was a kid and was just trying to remember what revolver he had.It was set at the end of the civil war and his holster was a military style of that time line but I can't remember what the gun was. Sure wish they would bring back the westerns, "ain't nothing on now but crap!" :mad: Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Johnny Yuma was a "Rebel"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
February 20, 2006, 12:57 PM
I don't think he had a revolver, but instead carried a cut-down Winchester model 92 rifle in a sort of break-front holster.

Of couse someone told me that because I not old enough to remember the program... :evil: :neener:

Tinker2
February 20, 2006, 01:03 PM
Beartracker

In The Rebel, Nick Adams played Johnny Yuma, an ex-Confederate
soldier with a sawed-off shotgun (sporting a dramatically shortened
stock) strapped to his leg.
http://www.jcs-group.com/oldwest/guns/television.html

Tinker2

taralon
February 20, 2006, 01:08 PM
I saw those in reruns... He had a cut down lever action rifle, probably a 1892/4. I think it was supposed to represent a Volcanic Repeating Pistol.

See http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_169_28/ai_114475581

For some discussion of the firearm as well as going about recreating it.

Jeb

joab
February 20, 2006, 01:16 PM
Johnny's Yuma's gun
http://www.sarcoinc.com/images/yuma-gun.jpg

You may be thinking of Johnny Ringo who carried a LeMatt
http://www.antiquefirearms.com/images/hgus/lemattwo1.jpg

Beartracker
February 20, 2006, 02:09 PM
OK, It looks like the shotgun must have been it but there was another western that I think was called the Bounty Hunter and he carried a sawed off lever action in a holster.....I think. I can see the guys face but I can't remember his real name for the life of me!

joab
February 20, 2006, 02:19 PM
Steve McQueen
Wanted Dead or Alive

Carried a Mare's Leg, a cut down large loop Winchester 1892 in 44-40 but carried 45-70 in his cartridge loops

scbair
February 20, 2006, 03:16 PM
Joab nailed it! :D

Since watching "Johnny Yuma" as a wee lad, I always wanted a sawed-off shotgun in a hip holster.

Right up to the time I test-fired some full-house oo buck through the 10" bbl M870 "Stakeout Special" my old unit kept on hand! :what: OUCH!

Now, I have some adapters to allow firing .410 shells from a 12 gauge single-barrel or double; maybe I oughtta reconsider an AOW. :cool:

Beartracker
February 20, 2006, 03:50 PM
That's It!!! Steve McQueen. Great actor. Sure do miss the good old days ....sometimes:) Thanks guy's, now I can sleep tionight;)

TrafficMan
February 21, 2006, 09:20 AM
Sure wish they would bring back the westerns, "ain't nothing on now but crap!" :mad: Mike

yeah, now they make cowboy movies about gay dudes :(

sundance44s
February 21, 2006, 10:05 AM
OK guys now ya did it .. i`ve got the theme song going in my head .. yes i had the rig too probally made by mattel toys .. it was a hoster carried sawed off winchester with a huge loop lever ... and yes i had the toy cannon that went with it .... hahahahaha ... wow to be a kid again . my hero`s . yep he was bader than the rifle man !

Steve499
February 21, 2006, 10:14 AM
And his name in the series was Josh Randall. I always liked Steve Mcqueen in whatever he was in, maybe because I always associated him back to that first introduction as the bounty hunter.

Steve

Beartracker
February 21, 2006, 12:18 PM
Sundance, My head is always hearing or singing the theam from Jonny Yuma and the worse one is Palliden ("Have Gun Will Travel" ) I still remember having made bussiness cards made like his with the knight drawn on it that I had made from construction paper my Mom gave me.I passed them out to everyone I seen.:)
If I did that today the cops would arrest my butt and question me on advertising being a hit man:D

Steve, Steve McQueen was great as an actor! Another one I always liked was Paul Newman "Cool Hand Luke". Watched that movie many times in black and white and I hope they never color it. I think he would have made a really good cowboy. :) Mike

sundance44s
February 21, 2006, 01:31 PM
Wow .. what a though/ what if ????????/ sass would let me shoot a sawed off winchester complete with leg hoster ..on the pistol targets and rifle targets ... man talk about STYLEING and POINTS i`d even reload on the clock .. who cares about time when ya could style like that ..and change my alais too REB.. or something .. what a forgotten hero ... ( there goes that song in me head again ) :D

mec
February 21, 2006, 01:37 PM
In those day's they had gay dudes playing cowboys. Forgot about that until you mentioned "The Rebel." I believe he also played the lead character in "The Blob." (Lead human that is. I believe the blob was played by an Amoeba.)

Beartracker
February 21, 2006, 02:00 PM
The Blob." (Lead human that is. I believe the blob was played by an Amoeba.)

Yea, I remember Amoeba. Good actor but he wasn't worth a damn at twirling a Colt, not much for fingers. :D

Beartracker
February 21, 2006, 02:08 PM
I've been looking at some old TV pictures of the Rebel and he did carry a revolver and the shotgun was just slug over his shoulder with that thong. I'm going to see If I can find some better one's so I can see the revolver up close.

This is for you Sundance:
The song was song by Johnny Cash.

Johnny Yuma was a rebel
He roamed through the west
Did Johnny Yuma, the rebel
He wandered alone

He got fightin' mad
This rebel lad
He packed no star
As he wandered far
Where the only law
Was a hook and a draw
The rebel, Johnny Yuma

[Repeat 1st verse]

He searched the land
This restless lad
He was panther quick
And leather tough
If he figured that
He'd been pushed enough
The rebel, Johnny Yuma

[Repeat 1st verse]

Fightin' mad
This rebel lad
With a dream he'd hold
'Til his dyin' breath
He'd search his soul
And gamble with death
The rebel, Johnny Yuma

Beartracker
February 21, 2006, 02:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Beartracker/Cap-N-Ball/johnny_yuma.jpgStill haven't found any good pics of the revolver but don't think I want to stand in front of a scatter gun like that:uhoh:

sundance44s
February 21, 2006, 03:27 PM
geeze thanks for the words ..and i was ok with humming .. now i can sanggggg...lol hey what about the tv cereal called BRANDED .. Chuck Connors i thinks .. it didn`t play long .. i want to see a picture of YUMA wheelin the sawed off winchester ... i didn`t even remember the sawed off scattergun .. but the shorty winchester with leg hoster was cool ..

Beartracker
February 21, 2006, 03:48 PM
The sawed off winchester was carried by the "Bounty hunter" as someone pointed out above.
Someone posted better pics of Johnny Yumas shot gun above.Steve McQueen was the bounty hunter.(1958-1961 ,94 episodes) The rifle was a 1892 44-40
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Beartracker/Cap-N-Ball/steve-mcqueen-nk.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Beartracker/Cap-N-Ball/steve-mcqueen-bwda.jpg

sundance44s
February 21, 2006, 04:20 PM
Yep thats it .. had my gunslingers crossed ... i may have a touch of old timmers...:what:

Old Dragoon
February 21, 2006, 04:30 PM
One episode of The Rebel stands out in my mind. he had caught a very bad guy and was brining him in, the guy had tried to get away several times thoughout the episode and in the last scene Johnny tied his shotgun under the chin of the badguy,Cocked the hammers and they rode off. Johnny holding onto the thong or riata attached to the triggers of the Shotgun. Point being that the BG had to stay close and keep the riata slack or BOOM. Well the last second Johnny dropped the riata and the BG raced off trailing the riata......till it got wedged between two rocks.....Fade to black.....:what:

Frandy
February 21, 2006, 04:32 PM
Sheesh...this means that most of you geezers are... well, are... as old as I am! :eek:

Oh, Johnny Yuma was a rebel...da da...da da da... :D

Oh, and let's not ferget that other one that I'm sure rolls around in yer head now and then. Thanks Frankie!

Everybody, c'mon now...SING-ALONG with me: ;)

http://www.star-collector.net/showlyrics/lyricsrawhide.htm

The Lyrics:

Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rawhide!

Though the streams are swollen
Keep them dogies rollin'
Rawhide!
Rain and wind and weather
Hell-bent for leather
Wishin' my gal was by my side.
All the things I'm missin',
Good vittles, love, and kissin',
Are waiting at the end of my ride

CHORUS
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Rawhide
Count 'em out, ride 'em in,
Ride 'em in, count 'em out,
Count 'em out, ride 'em in
Rawhide!

Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them dogies movin'
Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope, throw, and brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
My hearts calculatin'
My true love will be waitin',
Be waitin' at the end of my ride.

Rawhide!
Rawhide!

Oh, another...
http://www.star-collector.net/showlyrics/lyricsgunsmoke.htm

Duncaninfrance
February 21, 2006, 05:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Beartracker/Cap-N-Ball/johnny_yuma.jpgStill haven't found any good pics of the revolver but don't think I want to stand in front of a scatter gun like that:uhoh:

Seems like a nice boy!!:rolleyes:

I think it is time you all stopped singing out of tune and let some of us younger ones get some sleep!!!
Duncan ( TeeeeHeeeeeeeeeee! )

Beartracker
February 21, 2006, 05:46 PM
Duncan, You may be right about the singing but....:neener: OK everybody, one more time for Duncan ...only in French this time:D

Jeff Timm
February 21, 2006, 05:52 PM
For the light hearted:

Rango with Tim Conway

Laredo with a cast of dozens.

Not so light.

Colt .45

The Lawman

Cheyanne

Geoff
Who liked Sugarfoot too!

Duncaninfrance
February 21, 2006, 05:53 PM
Duncan, You may be right about the singing but....:neener: OK everybody, one more time for Duncan ...only in French this time:D

Watch it! or I will have to get the Garlic and Onion shells out and then you will be sorry :cool:
Duncan

Beartracker
February 21, 2006, 06:03 PM
Duncan, LOL.

Jeff Timm, Yes, I remember all these shows and but Sugar Foot was one I forgot! He always acted and looked like some young innocent dumb kid...untill someone got him mad:)

sundance44s
February 21, 2006, 08:00 PM
and what would sunday nights have been with out BONANZA ..Hoss , Adam , LittleJoe ..and Ben Cartright .. teachin us the cowboy way ... yeeeeeee haaaa

Beartracker
February 21, 2006, 08:14 PM
What about Bat Masterson

Maverick

Pat Garret with his Butline special

Roy and Dale

Death Valley Days

Mule Train

Johnny Mac Brown

Roy and Dale with Pat Butram and the jeep "Nellie Bell"

Tex Ritter or Hop along Cassidy

Gabby Hase

Wow, I am getting old! Bet some of these younens today who like the old west stuff would have loved our time when westerns was the family shows of the evening. Good memories in front of the fireplace with my four brothers, sister and Mom and Dad watching many of these shows. We never missed Bonanza or most of the other westerns. Got a tear in my eye now....Thanks for the memories guy's, Mike

joab
February 21, 2006, 08:19 PM
Death Valley Days
Best damn show ever

IndianaDean
February 21, 2006, 08:48 PM
No, but I'm very familiar with the song Johnny Yuma, as I've always enjoyed Johnny Cash.

Hawkmoon
February 21, 2006, 09:13 PM
Unfortunately, I'm old enough that I saw Gene Autrey in a live show with his horse, Champion, when he was still a singing cowboy and long before he bought a baseball team.

Any of you remember Lash Larue, or Jock Mahoney? How's about the Range Rider?

Beartracker
February 21, 2006, 09:26 PM
Hawkmoon, Yep, I remember them and Tad and Annie Oakley too. No has mentioned "Cisco and Pancho" or the Lone Ranger and Tonto.
Now all of these guys had the best Revolvers I have ever seen.. they never had to reload and could shoot all day:)
Most of them carried the Colt .45 and some even had the fancy two gun rig with stainless steel and real stag grips, Mike

Old Dragoon
February 21, 2006, 09:50 PM
Gene must have been busy, so he sent Smiley Burnett to our little town Movie Theater. I didn't win the pony either! Darn! But I did get to see and talk to Smiley. Didn't have the coins fer the picture with him. Had the Quarter (usually 15 cents)to get in and a quarter for a coke and popcorn, but didn't have the dollar fer the picture.
Little did I know that the kid with him was his kid, I ran into Smiley's kid here in Acton a couple years back, seems Smiley's kid was a local for some time. He told me he had to travel with Smiley or never see him. I did remember that Smiley had a kid with him "helping out". Kid said he hated travelling around from town to town doing the same show week after week.

gmatov
February 21, 2006, 11:15 PM
Most kids today wouldn't be too interested in these old cowboy movies. The good guy never got in the girl's pants, nobody ever bled like a stuck pig when they were shot, they never blew a man's hand off, and showed it on screen.

You gotta show real brain parts flying to interest kids today. "Wow! that's realistic!"

A shame, really. Pipple who have to shoot pipple punch holes in a vital part, they die. Not the crap on TV and the movies today, gore for the sake of gore.

Duncan, send me some of that garlic stuff. I keep a bowl on the counter of garlic cloves, many types of olives, basil, oregano, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, cheap stuff, Colavita, mebbe some hot peppers in it with the flakes, and can't walk past without taking a spoonful. Onions marinated in the same mix are exquisite. Make about a gallon at a time, good for about a month, 5 pounds or so.

Haven't any close friends who wish to go tete-a-tete with me. Could it be garlic breath?

Cheers,

George

History Nut
February 22, 2006, 12:01 AM
"26 Men" about the Arizona Rangers. It also had a song:
"Twenty-six Men, who saddled up and then, rode off to save the Territory..."

"Restless Gun" starring John Payne. He carried a Colt 7 1/2" and sometimes did a quick barrel change to something around 12" and a shoulder stock.

"The Rifleman" with Chuck Connors and a large-loop M'92

"Boots and Saddles" set in a Cavalry post in the Southwest. About half the episodes they had the troopers carrying M'92s (director must have wanted lots of shooting) and about half of them they were properly equipped with trapdoor carbines.

"MacKenzie's Raiders" starring Richard Carlson. Supposedly followed Ranald MacKenzie and his 4th Cavalry on the Texas border and their unofficial raids into Mexico to fight the Indians.

"Texas Rangers" that bounced between both modern and Old West times to depict the 'adventures' of the Rangers.

I can't remember if "Lawman" with John Russell was mentioned.

I remember Lash LaRue and Johnny Mack Brown, Hopalong Cassidy and who can ever forget, "The Lone Ranger"!

Also "Wyatt Earp" with Hugh O'Brian.

Something that seemed common in the '60s Westerns on TV were star's having 'gimmick guns'. "Wyatt Earp" the Buntline Special, "The Rifleman" the large-loop Winchester, "The Restless Gun" the convertible Colt, "Wanted Dead or Alive" the 'Mare's Leg', "The Rebel" the Sawed-Off Shotgun.

I know that I will think of more as soon as I post but that is how the old memory works.:banghead:

gmatov
February 22, 2006, 12:29 AM
Rawhide knda sucked.

Clint never got a chance till he made those spaghetti westerns, then he took off.

About the best have seen, in modern times, is the one with the gunfighter and the cattler baron, and the Amish, or whatever sect they were. Forget the name, has been on a buinch lately, gave the boy a sling.
He was shot, she saved his life, he repaid the debt. Outstanding pic. Burned his gun at the end and the boy threw his sling into the same blacksmith's hearth.

Pretty damned good.

Cheers,

George

Duncaninfrance
February 22, 2006, 04:02 AM
Most kids today wouldn't be too interested in these old cowboy movies. The good guy never got in the girl's pants, nobody ever bled like a stuck pig when they were shot, they never blew a man's hand off, and showed it on screen.

You gotta show real brain parts flying to interest kids today. "Wow! that's realistic!"

A shame, really. Pipple who have to shoot pipple punch holes in a vital part, they die. Not the crap on TV and the movies today, gore for the sake of gore.

Duncan, send me some of that garlic stuff. I keep a bowl on the counter of garlic cloves, many types of olives, basil, oregano, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, cheap stuff, Colavita, mebbe some hot peppers in it with the flakes, and can't walk past without taking a spoonful. Onions marinated in the same mix are exquisite. Make about a gallon at a time, good for about a month, 5 pounds or so.

Haven't any close friends who wish to go tete-a-tete with me. Could it be garlic breath?

Cheers,

George

You probably glow in the dark by now George!!! There is nothing wrong with garlic breath that moving to another continent wouldn't put right! Trust me, I live in the training area for the Bad Breath Olympics!
Duncan

joab
February 22, 2006, 07:46 AM
Why don't I see F-Troop listed

scbair
February 22, 2006, 08:09 AM
As I recall, John Russell, of "Lawman," was an avid shooter in real life (many, if not most, of the actors of that era were).

Lorne Greene (Ben Cartwright of "Bonanza"), on the other hand was Canadian, and, by a number of reports, anti-Second Amendment (except when packin' a hawgleg brought in the dollars, of course). :scrutiny:

I always liked Clint Walker, of "Cheyenne." That was a big, tough hombre.

Hey, who else remembers Gail Davis, star of "Annie Oakley"? She was cute!

sundance44s
February 22, 2006, 11:13 AM
Man what ever happen to my toy guns that were made for these tv westerns ... i must have had them all ... my room looked like a toy gun armory ... and boots and cowboy hats ... looking through the old family photo album wow theres me at 5 with my gun rigs on ....6 with my gun rigs on ... hahaha ... latter years me with my cowboyhats ,boots and no gun rigs ! darn shame i had to grow up ..what a walk down memory lane ... through the dusty streets of my boyhood mind , with a bad guy around every corner no problem i`ll draw my silver plated six shooters that shoot 100 of times with out reloading ..lol thanks guys .

SixForSure
February 22, 2006, 12:13 PM
The sawed off winchester was carried by the "Bounty hunter" as someone pointed out above.
Someone posted better pics of Johnny Yumas shot gun above.Steve McQueen was the bounty hunter.(1958-1961 ,94 episodes)
Those were the days. Nowdays, a 4 year run for a TV show is what, about 24 episodes? of course we do get to see each one over, and over, and ov.............

Beartracker
February 22, 2006, 12:44 PM
Those were the days. Nowdays, a 4 year run for a TV show is what, about 24 episodes? of course we do get to see each one over, and over, and ov.............

:) You got that right.We didn't have 10 minutes of show and 20 minutes of commercials either.:mad: Mike

Johnny_Yuma
April 30, 2006, 01:25 PM
I carry a Glock 23 and sometimes a Taurus CH85 Airweight as a back-up. I have a Remington 870 for serious debates.

Just kidding - the cut-down shotty is the correct answer. Steve McQueen carried the cut-down Winchester in Dead or Alive.

JY

MCgunner
April 30, 2006, 02:04 PM
I had a toy "Bounty Hunter" rig when I was a kid that used spring loaded "ammo" with plastic bullets and you could put a "greenie stick 'em cap" on each "cartridge case" to make it go bang. Wouldn't pass the legal office of Mattel now days, I'm quite sure. :rolleyes: I also had a Paladin cap gun, rig (with the knight's chess piece on the holster) and a pack of business cards with the "have gun, will travel" on 'em that went in a pouch on the rig. Ah, them were the days. I was the baddest hombre north of the Rio Grande, or at least on our block. :evil:

Now then, how does it go?

"Branded, marked with a coward's shame,
What do you do when you're branded,
And you know you're a maaaaaaan...."

Didn't last long, I know. I also liked "The Rifleman" "Gunsmoke" was a little too much story line to keep a kid's attention. It was all about the shootout back then. :D I appreciate the re-runs now days, though. That was when they had REAL writers on prime time shows, ones that didn't try to see how many four letter words they could sneak past the censors or how many new ways to work sex and homosexuality into a sit com. :rolleyes:

Pat Garret with his Butline special

Umm, believe that was...

"Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp,
Brave, courageous, and Bald, er, bold;
Long live his fame and long live his glory,
And long may his story be told...."

mainmech48
April 30, 2006, 02:20 PM
Jeez! What about "Yancy Derringer"? Pahoo (played by Iron Eyes Cody) had to have been the Ultimate Bad-a$$ Sidekick with that huge Bowie hanging between his shoulders and miniature 10 ga. double hidden in the folds of his blanket robe. Many's the time I recall him whipping that little item out and clearing all of the bottles (also the mirror and assorted assailants) from behind the bar of a saloon, or instantly making that Bowie or a tomahawk appear in the torso of some villian trying to do Yancy in from the shadows.

Yancy's gimmick was, of course, derringers. Especially the Sharps four-barrel of which he always seemed to have at least two stashed somewhere on his person.

Can't remember the name of the series right now, but Robert Culp played a fellow whose sidearm was a S&W No.3. Must've imprinted me subliminally like a baby duck, as I still have a fascination with the big top-break Smiths.

Lash LaRue, Wild Bill and Jingles, Hoppy and Gabby, Cisco and Pancho, Josh Randall, Paladin, Bat Masterson, Roy, Dale and Pat, Johnny Yuma, Johnny Ringo, Tales of Wells Fargo, Wyatt Earp, The Rifleman, Rawhide, Death Valley Days, Maverick, Wagon Train, The Lone Ranger, Annie Oakley.... the memories just cascade.

MCgunner
April 30, 2006, 02:37 PM
Okay, perfect thread for this question. Was Yancy or who was it that had the derringer in his belt buckle. I had that rig, too, when I was a kid (spoiled little brat). You pooch your stomach out into the buckle and the derringer would pop out and fire its greenie stick'em cap. :D Belt also had the ubiquitous hog leg in a buscadero holster. I couldn't wear that thing anymore considering my stomach is permanently pooched out now days.

joab
April 30, 2006, 11:07 PM
Can't remember the name of the series right now, but Robert Culp played a fellow who's sidearm was a S&W No.3. I think that was "Trackdown" the series that "Wanted dead or Alive" was spun off from

meef
April 30, 2006, 11:56 PM
Rin Tin Tin. Anybody remember that one? Cowboy show, sort of.

I was only a kid, but I thought that was a neat show - at the time. :D

Gooooo Rinty!

mec
May 1, 2006, 12:15 AM
Right. SGT RIP Masters and the dog (or a ringer) showed up at the Heart of Texas Fair. Other notibles were the Cisco Kid and Pancho. Duncan Renaldo had them turn the colloseum lights off and touched off a blank. Looked like about 20 feet of flame. " Boys and Girls, never eshoot a gun at anybody even if it is only loaded with blanks!" Duncan got his neck broken by one of the paper machet bolders on the set. Scary but he got over it. My dad sent me over to bug Pancho who was on the telephone at the time. I didn't want to bother him on the phone but he didn't miss a beat. Picked me up with one hand and kept on talking. We also had Johnny Weismuller show up at the monkey wards autographing Jungle Jim pictures and Minnesota Fats showed up to hype the M. Fats official Pool table.

whipper
May 1, 2006, 12:49 AM
Hi all,
If ya like old westerns checkout Encore Western channel, they play a lot of the old stuff with Brian Keith, Pat Buttram, Gene Autry, Gabby Hayes, Glenn Ford, Tex Ritter, and many, many more. I even saw a one with Allen Hale Sr. forget the name of the movie. And they play all day long with NO COMMERCIALS either.

Just thought I would throw that atya.;)

MCgunner
May 1, 2006, 12:23 PM
I never could figure out how a cowboy could be driving a Jeep (Nellie Belle). I had a peddle powered Nellie Belle, though, when I was a kid.

I liked the modern day cowboy, Sky King, on saturday mornings. :D

mainmech48
May 1, 2006, 02:03 PM
After forty-odd years the details tend to get fuzzy, but I can't recall Yancy wearing one of the belt buckle rigs.

I remember the Mattel item(s) well, as I spent an entire summer doing odd jobs to raise the money to buy a "Shoot-n-Shell" Fanner Fifty and derringer belt buckle. IIRC, it didn't take much more than a week for me to lose or break the minimal supply of the gray plastic bullets that were included with the toys, and it was an ongoing struggle to find and finance replacements.

At the time we lived in a very small town in St. Francois Co., Missouri (where the people from "Deliverance" keep the relatives they don't want to talk about). The closest place that one could find such exotica was in the county seat, Farmington, which was well outside of shank's mare or bicycle range from us. It was a vanishingly-rare occasion when I had both the money and the means to get there.

Smokin_Gun
May 10, 2006, 03:18 AM
How about "Branded"... all but one man died....! And the "Rifleman" w/ Chuck Conners. Also "Death Valley Days" brought to you by 20 Mule Team Borax.

tramp333
May 10, 2006, 03:35 AM
Could that real bad guy have been the actor Bruce Dern by chance Old Dragoon? Seem to remember a scene like that with Bruce playing the evil villian as he alway's did in those day's, but could very easily be wrong. Hey! And how about that Chuck Conners as, The Rifleman? Now there was a rough tough hero for the kid's if ever there was one, eh?

burlesonbill
May 10, 2006, 11:12 AM
This was part of the Paladin rig. In the show Boone always carried a derringer behind his belt buckle, but Mattel chose to make it a pop-out. I also remember when Mattel started branching out a little and making .357 snubby Pythons and Tommy Guns for some of the police shows of the day. I got one of the .357's and couldn't get the darn thing away from my Dad and his friends in Army Intelligence who kept comparing it to "real ones" and shooting each other with all my little gray bullets all Christmas Day!

Paladin was always my favorite, followed closely by the Maverick boys. There's a great Paladin website that gives a synopsis of every episode including the famous missing 1st one that established where Boone got his name and why he dressed in black. Just do a Google on "Paladin" or "Have Gun Will Travel" to find it. I also loved the way James Garner and Jack Kelly as the Maverick brothers could talk their way out of trouble, but really draw down if they had to.

Bill

mec
May 10, 2006, 11:56 AM
I saw one within the last couple of years where he went after a guy who was wearing the paladin outfit. After he killed him with an 1860 Army, he took over the suit and the job, maybe the name.

FPrice
May 10, 2006, 12:00 PM
Paladin was always my favorite,

I always favored Paladin also, but in watching the DVDs of the shows recently I discovered two minor problems I did not know about in my youth. The first was when he described his revolver's trigger as responding to one ounce of pressure. Talk about a light trigger pull! The other was when he made the point that his revolver had a rifled barrel. I thought they all (Colt SAAs) were manufactured as such.

But these are very small errors in an otherwise terrific series.

mec
May 10, 2006, 12:05 PM
"A hand made Hamilton with a one ounce trigger." also noticed that his little derringer goes "spat" but blows guys A** over Teakettle

burlesonbill
May 10, 2006, 12:31 PM
I heard that it had been restored but haven't seen it. Boone is a "Gentleman of honor" who has lost his honor and is having to pay off a gambling debt by killing this gunfighter who is protecting some small ranchers. Boone actually played both roles. He ended up liking the guy, and it was the older gunfighter who christened him "Paladin - a Knight with no Master". In the end "young" Boone had to kill "old" Boone, but he took his black outfit and immediately went and killed the evil rancher/gambler who had forced him to do it. After that he frequently took contracts from people who he refused to accept payment from after he helped them out. Always wondered how a guy that worked for free so much could live in a nice Hotel, smoke Cubans and drink the best brandy, always win at poker, and always have the best women! I'm still looking for that job!!!

Interesting bit of trivia - Boone could barely stay on a horse's back! He finally got to where he could ride a very gentle horse at a walk or slow canter, but any other scenes required a double. If you ever saw any of the "Richard Boone Theater" TV shows that he did later, or some of his movie roles, the man was one Hell of an actor, but apparently very hard to work with. Duke Wayne liked him and liked to cast him because he was so professional and believable, and because they got roaring drunk during filming.

Bill

mec
May 10, 2006, 12:38 PM
That's the one I saw. When he and Wayne were making the Alamo, they drank prodigeous amounts. I believe Boone was playing Sam Houston-known to his Cherokee neighbors as "Big Drunk."

Manyirons
May 10, 2006, 03:26 PM
Anyone 'member BRANDED?

When i was a kid we sang that one! 'STRANDED, standed ona toilet bowl, what do ya do when your'e stranded, and ya aint gotta roll? You must take it like a man you must wipe it with yer

Well, ya get tha idea!

YESSIR BOSS!!!!! Jus entertainen tha customers!!!!!!

mec
May 10, 2006, 04:20 PM
I like that one- remember the show, like the song.
Richard boone was in another one called Heck Ramsey. supposed to have happened in the late 90s or early 1900s. they had things like electric chairs and stuff. since it was the 70s, the screen writers included anti-gun agit-prop like the time somebody noticed that a colt sheriff's model didn't have much rifling in the barrel. Boone orates, " You can hunt meat with a rifle but a handgun ANY HANDGUN is for one thing only- KILLING PEOPLE"

they did that a lot. there was a police show with Richard Mantooth where everybody was a Los Angeles Police. Two kids found a revolver in a dumpster..." Do you knows whut dis is??? Dis is a SATTIDY NITE SPECIAL!!!"
Kennedy's bill to outlaw any handgun with less than a 14 inch barrel was about to come up in the Senate.

MCgunner
May 10, 2006, 06:37 PM
Okay, that makes sense, the buckle/derringer was on the Paladin rig. I was 5 years old when I got that gun/belt. I remember because I had just under-gone an eye operation and my dad was visiting, wanted to know what I wanted for a get well present and it was the paladin holster/gun. :D

Yeah, them little grey bullets didn't last long. But, I was more of a "play like" kid anyway. LOL

Gotta go now, town is under a tornado warning. Hmmm.

Byron
May 14, 2006, 09:33 AM
There wa a synicated western called "Black Saddle" about a frontier lawyer.Did Lee Majors star in that? Byron

joab
May 14, 2006, 10:21 AM
No that was the other Barkley, Peter Breck. He played Nick Barkley half brother to Lee Majors' Heath Barkley

cocojo
May 19, 2006, 07:49 PM
Nice to see that some guys remember the old westerns. I watched them all. Do you remember Shotgun Slade with his two barrel gun? It was an over and under shotgun cut down. Scott Brady played shotgun slade. How about Yancy Derringer who had a derringer on a hinge up his sleeve and jacket. How about Sugar Foot or Bronco Lane and Cheyanne. I could go on and on. I saw them all, that's why I just love guns of the old west. Great topic.

MCgunner
May 22, 2006, 12:55 PM
Here's another one someone might have already mentioned in this thread, but I just thought of. There was a show in the early 60s about a guy that carried a 7 shot revolver. He'd always be getting into gun fights, fire off his six, and of course the BG would walk out laughing he was out of ammo and get shot with the seventh. :rolleyes: Yeah, it was kinda dumb even back then and only lasted a couple of seasons.

Anyone remember it?

joab
May 22, 2006, 07:41 PM
Could that have been Johnny Ringos 9 shot Lematt

MCgunner
May 23, 2006, 09:13 AM
No, I specifically remember the guy had this special 7 shot revolver made for him and that was his big catch. You'd wait to the end of the show each week for him to pull off the same deal, fire his six, bad guy walks out laughing "You're out of bullets!", bang, bad guy's dead. It was rather predictable. LOL!

Just thinkin', it coulda been a Lematt I guess. Wasn't like I knew much back then. But, I seem to remember it was a seven shooter custom 1873.

Byron
May 23, 2006, 09:31 AM
Peter Breck starred in Black saddle in the 50's. Byron

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/black-saddle.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Johnny Yuma was a "Rebel"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!