Aguilla question (hey, it was an impulse purchase)

PDA

bogie
April 14, 2003, 04:35 PM
Okay - At KCR, I bought a carton of that Aguilla (or however it's spelled...) .22 stuff that only has the primer compound in it... I heard that it runs at 325 fps...

Will this stuff clear a 10/22? I _know_ it won't work the action, but will it clear the barrel? Maybe I need to go out and buy a .22 pistol now...

If you enjoyed reading about "Aguilla question (hey, it was an impulse purchase)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greg L
April 14, 2003, 04:50 PM
Yes it will - 99% of the time. Just make sure that you are watching/listening downrange for the "thwack" as it hits the backstop (you really don't need hearing protection to shoot them). Occasionally I have one that doesn't clear the barrel in my pump and only once did I not notice it before firing the next round. As far as I could tell nothing happened other than two of the bullets fell out when I pointed the barrel down.

Have fun, they are great for city practice.

Greg

GlocksRock
April 14, 2003, 05:02 PM
I have shot a couple of boxes of them. The are super quiet, and have very little power. I wouldn't reccomend them, I see them as a waste of time since they are severely underpowered and inaccurate, not to mention extermely dirty. But I guess you could at least try them one time. But I never had a problem with them clearing my barrel, although I can't remember if I shot them out of a 10/22 or a Marlin model 60.
Either way you should be fine.

cratz2
April 14, 2003, 05:14 PM
I've shot plenty of them (8 boxes or so) in the Dan Wesson revolver. Mine were quite accurate but certainly a WAAAYYYYY lower point of impact that subsonic 22LR.

Never shot them in a rifle. As suggested, if you check that a bullet comes out every time, it should be pretty safe.

AZTOY
April 14, 2003, 06:49 PM
I have shot a few boxs. I use the .22 SSS {snipersubsonic} for small problem animals around the house. Thay are super quiet and pretty accurate upclose. I shot them out of my Romanian training rifle and thay work great.:D

seeker_two
April 14, 2003, 10:27 PM
I use Super Colibris in my Romanian .22. Great for close-range squirrel & turtle "management" w/o making the neighbors nervous...:D

mdsteele
April 14, 2003, 10:46 PM
Be careful! If they are in a red box they are for rifles.
If they are in a yellow box, they are for pistols.

Red box= 500 fps
yellow box = 300 fps

Kcustom45
April 14, 2003, 11:56 PM
I have shot both the red and yellow boxes out of my 10/22 and Henry lever action rifle. I have not had one stay in the barrel, but I know someone who has. Like many others said just be aware of what is going on and you will be fine.

Bill St. Clair
April 15, 2003, 03:37 PM
I've fired both Colibri and Super Colibri from my Henry lever-action and 10/22. All rounds went down range. None got stuck in the barrel. It was no fun from the 10/22 since not only would they not work the action, they wouldn't feed from the magazine. Single loading a 10/22 is a pain. They worked great in the Henry lever-action, though.

I prefer CCI CB to Aguila Colibri. It gets 600 fps, and though it's not as whisper quiet as the Aguila ammo, it's still quiet enogh to shoot in the backyard without worrying about bothering the neighbors.

The Colibri is also very dirty. You need to clean your barrel fairly often.

Bonker
April 15, 2003, 03:41 PM
I've never had a problem with them.

Congradulations on your new and very expensive pellet gun :)

"Red box= 500 fps
yellow box = 300 fps"

I did not know that!

bogie
April 15, 2003, 03:54 PM
Well, a buddy with a Ciener .22 upper for a .45 is really gonna like playin' with 'em...

I'll probably just walk into his basement, load one, and then while his eyes are buggin' out, pop the recycling stack in the corner.

He'd do it to me.

MikeK
April 15, 2003, 04:19 PM
I've fired them out of a 10/22 and a Romanian training rifle (24" barrel). No problems. Tried them in my 317 airlite, but they're a little loud for a suburban back yard in that gun. Got a chipmunk with the 10/22 at ~ 40 feet.

Enjoy!

Crimper-D
April 15, 2003, 06:30 PM
Stuff a coffeecan full of wet newspspaper, put the plastic lid back on, tape on 50ft NRA smallbore rifle targets, set the rig up in the fireplace and shoot in your livingroom:D = 7yd 10ring hits once you adjust the sights and shoot accurately.;)
Haven't tried indoor shooting with a handgun, but rifles are practically noisless except for the smacking sound when the bullet hits the backstop.:)

Brian D.
April 15, 2003, 07:28 PM
I've had pretty good luck with the Aguila "sans poudre" ammo too. I have bounced some of them off of empty 55gal drums. I think you could make Carribbean music that way, certainly not much sound near the gun! I noticed that while the box has a warning about getting them stuck in a rifle barrel, there is nothing printed about their maximum range. I wonder if you couldn't catch the yellow box stuff in a baseball glove at 100 yds??:D

goon
April 15, 2003, 07:37 PM
I have had the colibris stick in a rifle barrel before. I quit buying them, and now only buy super colibris. I have never had one of those stick in my barrel, and they work just as well out of a pistol. They are fun for popping clay pigeons in the yard, and are less powerful than a pellet gun.
They are no good for killing anything with though.
But they do work well for keeping feral cats out of the garbage.

Greybeard
April 15, 2003, 10:04 PM
I used many of the Super Colibris, with one of several rifles (Win 67 - 27" barrel) that was especially problematic with squib loads. Maybe fine for short-range plinking where accuarcy does not matter. Very inconsistent - and smell bad. :( About as quiet and puny as anything this side of an air gun, most of which are more accurate.

Brian D.
April 15, 2003, 10:15 PM
Hmm, never noticed the smell. The Shooter's Choice that I use to clean with seems to keep that from happening, strange as it seems. Or, maybe I've just gotten to LIKE the smell of anything shooting related?? I see you hail from Denton Co.; you happen to know that Stephen A. Camp fella? Those Aguila Colibris have been a boon for me when taking a new shooter to the outdoor club, which isn't crowded during the week. I'll take any little advantage to make a newbie's first time all positive, so there will be a "next time."

cordex
April 16, 2003, 12:03 PM
Be careful! If they are in a red box they are for rifles.
If they are in a yellow box, they are for pistols.
Both boxes have the same "FOR USE IN PISTOLS ONLY" warning.
Check it out.

I've seen Colibris get stuck in a very old, dirty rifle before. You can tell when you shoot, but it's something to watch out for. I use it in rifles all the time without problem.

JW2
April 16, 2003, 01:37 PM
IGreat for close-range squirrel & turtle "management" w/o making the neighbors nervous...

Turtle management? This is the first time I have ever heard of having to "manage" turtles with a firearm!

If you enjoyed reading about "Aguilla question (hey, it was an impulse purchase)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!