largest rifle caliber

PDA

joka667
February 20, 2006, 03:21 PM
What is the legal limit for a rifle caliber? .50 cal is nice, but I like excess and would rather go for overkill with a 30 mm rifle :)

I hearbarrett's got a 20 mm rifle. is that legal for ordinary citizens?

If you enjoyed reading about "largest rifle caliber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ghost squire
February 20, 2006, 03:48 PM
No I think the government draws the line at .50 unless you legally register a caliber as a sporting weapon, or if its a shotgun. Obviously they aren't going to let you register the new 25mm Barett as a sporting arm but they will let you register the .600 and .700 Nitro Express as one (done a long time ago). And the 12 Gauge from Hell (300 grain shotgun size slug going 4000 FPS) is technically a shotgun because of the rimmed case and bore diameter so...

~z
February 20, 2006, 04:56 PM
Ghost, this shotgun from hell sounds...well...hellish! What is/was the platform? Sounds like it would turn my ol wingmaster into kindling.
~z

wdlsguy
February 20, 2006, 05:23 PM
I don't know if Barrett sells their 25mm rifle to mere citizens or not, but I suspect it's considered a "destructive device", which would require a Form 4 and a $200 tax stamp.

Ohen Cepel
February 20, 2006, 05:27 PM
Till the local white tails get up to over 1 ton, grow fangs, claws and a thirst for human blood I think I'll be happy with a .50 (or in my case a .35 whelen).

oneshooter
February 20, 2006, 05:57 PM
Navel "rifles" go up to 18". A little smaller but available.:evil:

http://apacheordnance.com/Movies/Riding_it.wmv

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

If you enjoyed reading about "largest rifle caliber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!