Help me make up my mind

PDA

BsChoy
February 20, 2006, 06:47 PM
Tax money is coming soon and I want a new rifle (whats new), anyway I want to be able to use the same powders and primers I have in stock for my 30-06 (4064 and Varget right now). I have been wanting a 223 and am leaning that way. By the way its for coyotes and woodchucks. But I need small rifle primers and new shell holders. But if I go to 22-250 or 243 I can use the powder, primers and shellholders. Can someone with experience tell me if the 22-250 id especially finicky (ie needs neck turning or some other fancy jobs done to the brass to make it shoot). I also want an economical round that won't eat alot of powder or burn barrels to fast. Your imput would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks

B

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me make up my mind" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rust collector
February 20, 2006, 07:23 PM
Can't beat the 223 for combination of accuracy, low cost and fun. Black Hills blue box reman is so cheap there's no need to reload, but primers and bullets for this round are very inexpensive. 22-250 will shoot a bit flatter at higher cost and shorter barrel life.

You'll want other shell holders and priming setups sooner or later, and the cost is low when amortized over many years of reloading, so don't sweat it. Hop on the 223 bandwagon and never look back.

dakotasin
February 20, 2006, 07:42 PM
no flies on the 22-250.

as a handloader, extra expense of shooting it over the 223 is more imagined than real, and barrel life... heh, i've been shooting the same 22-250 on prairie dog towns for almost a decade now. and you won't get near that volume of shooting if you're after coyotes and woodchucks. barrel life is a non-issue, especially if you aren't spending any significant time on dog towns.

i'd go 22-250. it is perfect for your application.

CB900F
February 20, 2006, 08:37 PM
BsChoy;

If you wish to stay with 4064 & Varget, large rifle primers & the same shell holder as your .30-06, then I'm going to suggest taking a good long look at either the 6mm Remington or the .257 Roberts.

Either caliber is fully capable of extended range varminting & can handle mule deer sized animals also. My first centerfire rifle was a Roberts, I'm currently using the 6mm Remington as my primary coyote gun. I've got experience with both. I'm using Hornady 6th, & Speer #13 as sources for the powder information. I'd suggest looking over both manuals.

I'd be happy to discuss them with you at length should you decide to take either option.

900F

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me make up my mind" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!