Sad day at Ok's GM plant

PDA

bg
February 20, 2006, 07:23 PM
A lot of members here are in Ok. Sorry to see this plant go.
Just the first of twelve looks like. This has to put a hurt on
folks, but what to do about it ? The plant closing doesn't
just affect GM workers, there are a lot of other folks and bis
involved..Sad indeed.
http://www.yahoo.com/s/274192

If you enjoyed reading about "Sad day at Ok's GM plant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kodiaz
February 20, 2006, 08:32 PM
Ford is laying off a lot of people to. Another score for globalization. Good bye middle class.

1 old 0311
February 20, 2006, 08:41 PM
The same thing happened to clothing, appliances, electronics, and steel. It all seems to be going overseas.:(

Kevin

Kodiaz
February 20, 2006, 08:48 PM
Well they can all get "serfice" jobs oh oops service. All we need now is someone saying "let them eat cake"

U.S.SFC_RET
February 20, 2006, 08:50 PM
Ford and GM should have diversified their profits during the good years so they could ride out the bad years. Didn't do it. Other companies do to stay fiscally healthy, ie pensions and retirement plans. I hate to go into that one.
Classic big blue chip management is to rake in the profits while the unions try to squeeze the big man. Unions will kill Big Auto and Management will kill it as well.

Waitone
February 20, 2006, 08:56 PM
It'll stop at some point. May take tar pots and feather pillow but it'll stop.

Standing Wolf
February 20, 2006, 08:56 PM
Unions will kill Big Auto and Management will kill it as well.

Between the unions and grossly incompetent management, I'd say the American automobile manufacturers are just about ripe for being taken over by Toyota, Nissan, et cetera.

MechAg94
February 20, 2006, 10:09 PM
Take over what? I doubt they would want to absorb the debt and existing contracts.

Old Fuff
February 20, 2006, 10:11 PM
General Motors is closing plants because they aren't selling enough cars...

They aren't selling enough cars because potential customers don't think they represent a good value for the money spent...

The reason that their cars don't measure up is because they had to cheapen them to keep the prices competitive while paying out excessive labor costs.

The reason that the labor costs are too high (relative to others workers) is because the union demanded too much, and the company gave in.

So now both are going down the tubes, and I'm sure there is more then enough pain and sorrow to go around.

All of this is very sad, but it was predictable... :scrutiny:

Manedwolf
February 20, 2006, 10:14 PM
Ford is laying off a lot of people to. Another score for globalization. Good bye middle class.

Actually, a lot of the companies that used to be "foreign" are a lot more American than the old American ones are.

Ford builds in Mexico because it's cheap, GM in India.

On the other hand, my Honda Accord was built in Ohio by American workers. There's lots of US Honda plants, Toyota also, and they give very good benefits and good pay. So if you buy a Ford truck, you might be supporting low-wage Mexicans and greedy Ford execs. If you buy a Honda Ridgeline, you're supporting families of auto workers IN the US.
The only place some of the small parts are made is Japan itself...which I don't mind at all, since Japan is a first-world democracy, an ally, without any fanatical elements that want to kill us and no communists or dictators.

Kind of makes you reconsider just what "American Car" means.

(BTW, GM and others did NOT have to cut all the corners they cut "because of unions"...unions don't make you switch to shoddier CHEAP plastics and forego proper fit and finish, or forego hiring ergonomics engineers for controls. They just got complacent, sloppy and greedy, and thought Americans would buy it just because of the nameplate, no matter how much it ended up in the garage for repairs or how quickly the interior turned crumbly and faded in the sun.)

crazed_ss
February 20, 2006, 10:16 PM

Globalization isnt the problem. The problem is GM, Ford, and DCX seem to be inacapable of building cars that can compete with the imports. It's sad.

Please dont call me Un-American for saying this either.. I currently own two Chevrolets.. A 2000 Camaro SS and a 1996 Cavalier.

hksw
February 20, 2006, 10:21 PM
IBTL

Bartholomew Roberts
February 20, 2006, 10:22 PM
Great topic for Armed Polite Society; but not relevant here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sad day at Ok's GM plant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!