Temp access to APS:

PDA

Derek Zeanah
February 21, 2006, 11:16 AM
Try this: http://d2302.tt32.wellbuiltnetworks.net

APS is here, you just can't get to it by the normal route.

For those of you going into withdrawal (I'm getting a bunch of e-mails).

Note that you may need to log in again, depending...

If you enjoyed reading about "Temp access to APS:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cosine
February 21, 2006, 12:41 PM
All right! Can get on APS. Thanks, Derek.

Oh, a question: Does that address always work for access to APS even when the normal address is functioning properly?

Derek Zeanah
February 21, 2006, 12:44 PM
Yep.

grampster
February 22, 2006, 09:21 PM
Derek,

I can get over to APS on your link, and when I log in it says that I have, but in reality I'm not logged in. Any comment? Or is it the level of my computer security that is preventing a log in due to the fact it doesn't recognize the link as an accepted one? I hope the original problem is rectifiable soon. I'm having withdrawal symptoms.:uhoh: :p :D

Derek Zeanah
February 22, 2006, 11:46 PM
You might need to tell your browser to accept cookies from that link, too. Sounds like the board can't remember you, because you're not storing the cookie.

Remember: http is a stateless protocol...

cosine
February 23, 2006, 12:27 AM
Works fine for me, gramps. Need to post that witty reply to my "talk to myself" thread? :p

MillCreek
February 24, 2006, 10:42 AM
The odd thing is, when I access APS via the new link, I cannot log-in. I have tried to do so using my customary name and password, and the board says it does not recognize my password. I tried the 'reset password' link, and it directs me to the original, now not-functioning, DNS location of APS.

So does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can log in?

grampster
February 24, 2006, 09:55 PM
See Derek's explaination above. If you can figure out how to get your browser to accept the cookie, let me know so I can do the same thing.

Oleg Volk
February 26, 2006, 10:25 PM
I added a backup DNS to the current two. That might make APS accessible under the old URL in a day or two.

MillCreek
February 26, 2006, 10:42 PM
Using both IE and Firefox, I navigated to the 'back-door' link of APS and made sure each browser was configured to accept any cookies from the site. I am still unable to log on in either browser.

cosine
February 27, 2006, 12:23 AM
Funny, I'm using IE and haven't had any problem logging onto APS.

Okay, the normal address is working right now.

I logged into APS after going through Derek's backdoor address. The site says I'm logged in. Now, without logging off, or closing my browser, I open a new window and navigate to APS by typing www.armedpolitesociety.com in the address bar. I reach APS that way, and it says I'm not logged in, even though my name appears in the 'users online' list. However, I'm still logged in through the other browser window, the one in which I went through the backdoor. Anyone know why that is happening?

Mal H
February 27, 2006, 12:44 AM
Cookies are URL specific. You have two cookies for APS stored on your PC. One has been updated to reflect that you are logged in, the other one hasn't been. When you enter the site, it reads the cookie corresponding to the URL used to access the site. The state of the URL-specific cookie determines your logged in status. The system doesn't search the database to see if you are already online and bypass the login procedure. It's sort-of a safety precaution.

cosine
February 27, 2006, 12:52 AM
Okay, thanks for the quick explanation ( and quick response!) Mal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Temp access to APS:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!