Using the M16 as a lockpick?

PDA

Hkmp5sd
April 14, 2003, 07:44 PM
I saw a video clip on FOX of a soldier shooting a padlock off of a metal gate while surrounded by his fellow GIs. Don't these guys understand that when a piece of metal traveling at high speed strikes another piece of metal, it results in something called ricochet that can be fatal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Using the M16 as a lockpick?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Betty
April 14, 2003, 07:47 PM
But...but...
It works in the movies!

pax
April 14, 2003, 07:54 PM
No.

pax

How can something seem so plausible at the time and so idiotic in retrospect? -- Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes

Bowlcut
April 14, 2003, 08:14 PM
If Bruce Willis can do it, so can I by golly :)

well considering they were probaly wearing flack jackets they probaly dont think too much of it. But you know thats gota sting if it hits ya in the leg ....

Darrin
April 14, 2003, 08:23 PM
Hey y'all, watch this!

Must be from Ky or something.....http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=226876 ;)

Kamicosmos
April 14, 2003, 08:28 PM
Don't they use a special load in the round specifically to breech doors? I believe swat teams use it too. I think it may be a fine rock powder of some kind? They place the muzzle of the gun right up against the jam, and it just kinda blasts and incinerates the wood around the lock, doesn't blow the lock apart itself?

Thumper
April 14, 2003, 08:37 PM
Kamicosmos,

Powdered lead and those are 12GA...not 5.56.

mcshot
April 14, 2003, 08:45 PM
I saw the clip and cringed. It worked as it does on TV and fortunately no one appeared hit.

Blackhawk
April 14, 2003, 08:57 PM
Saw the clip, and it's hard to argue with them when it works as intended. Besides, they have an intrinsic understanding of the law of ricochets: The angle of incidence equals the angle of ricochet."

Aikibiker
April 14, 2003, 09:27 PM
I saw the clip too.

The soldier doing the breach was using a shotgun and had his M-16 slung muzzle down on his right side. That is why it seems he is using his M-16, unless you look closely.

I have noticed quite a few of our boys carrying shotguns in addition to their rifle while engaged in building clearing. They are probably using those doorbuster loads to quickly open locked doors and transferring to their rifle to make the entry. Some of the more ingenious troops have put pistol grips on their shotties and are carrying them in a holster across their back Ninja style.

wun_8_seven
April 14, 2003, 09:37 PM
aikibiker is correct it was a shotgun in the video, watch close you'll see him pump the action. of course ya'll are much smarter and better with firearms than any marine in battle for 30 days straight. 187

Mal H
April 14, 2003, 09:41 PM
:)

Waitone
April 14, 2003, 10:05 PM
IIRC right after the first episodes of urban combat the switch to shotguns was in. Seems they started of with 5.56 on the entry teams. Then after a few casualties the first couple of guys through the door sported a shotgun.

Which makes me notice. All the reportage of urban combat trainiing I've seen lacked a shotgun. Never saw a shotgun, so when I saw an embed's report showing a grunt dashing across a street with a shotgun (pistol grip) thrown across his back, I noticed it.

DragonRider
April 14, 2003, 10:12 PM
Just saw the same clip, but with audio, there is a guy saying clear the danger area, bout 5 seconds before he blows the lock.

John

mcshot
April 14, 2003, 10:19 PM
Hope I get a chance to see it again.
I did hear the shooter say something prior to shooting. glad they have shotguns too.

Schuey2002
April 14, 2003, 11:06 PM
I haven't seen it yet so I can't comment on what Fox aired. I hope they show it again. ;)

ahadams
April 15, 2003, 12:45 AM
the one that ran on the fox website specifically included the shooter saying "get back - get out of the danger zone!" and the other guys all stepping away from the lock (though not as far as I would have...maybe a little too much faith in their vests?

April 15, 2003, 01:18 AM
I have a feeling that by now, these guys are pretty experienced at lock shooting by now. They know what to expect.

But it is all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it is still fun and games but you can't see as well.

jmbg29
April 15, 2003, 02:25 AM
But it is all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it is still fun and games but you can't see as well.LMFAO

My tribal name is Chief Runs with Scissors! :p :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Using the M16 as a lockpick?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!