Woot!

PDA

halfgone
February 21, 2006, 07:22 PM
I finally did it. I bought my first gun today (a G22). Been a royal pain in the a**, but that's ok. I am a student so I had some problems claiming residency, but after a few calls to the ATF, things got worked out and now the paper is in the works. Just 5 more working days and then... glorious!

Just thought I would share.

HG

If you enjoyed reading about "Woot!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
progunner1957
February 21, 2006, 07:33 PM
Congratulations, Halfgone! Glocks are excellent weapons - I have a couple myself, and I predict you will be well served by the Glock 22.

What are you plotting as your next gun purchase?:D

halfgone
February 21, 2006, 08:32 PM
well, now that you mention it :D

I AM thinking about getting an M1 Garand (rack grade, so like $295) and then picking up a nice synth stock from bushmaster for it (saw one I like for $69).

According to Molon Labe! I am not a true lover of freedom unless I can shoot well with both a pistol and a battle-grade rifle :neener:

HG

gunsmith
February 21, 2006, 08:51 PM
my G22!

it has never ever failed me, I can abuse it and leave it dirty.
It has been dropped while loaded :eek: it has gotten rained on for hours, it is easy to clean. I can find it in a cave at night time (night sights)
and mags went from 70/80 dollars in 2002 to 25$ in 05!
my advice is buy some good holsters and buy cases of ammo at your local gun show.

keep your finger off the triiger untill you have a target your willing to destroy in your sights

Optical Serenity
February 21, 2006, 09:06 PM
Being as how a Glock 22 is my duty weapon, I trust my life to it. Great weapon, for sure.

Where do I get a $300 M1 Garand?

Otherguy Overby
February 21, 2006, 09:35 PM
Being as how a Glock 22 is my duty weapon, I trust my life to it. Great weapon, for sure.

Where do I get a $300 M1 Garand?

Uh, here: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm#Rack

You have to join, first.

I will, just as soon as I can find my DD214

Herself
February 21, 2006, 10:01 PM
Molon Labe![/U] I am not a true lover of freedom unless I can shoot well with both a pistol and a battle-grade rifle :neener:
All due respect to the erstwhile Mr. Royce but he may be paraphrasing one of the Gurus of Old (Jeff Cooper? I'm not sure), who wrote, "a handgun is what you use to fight your way to your rifle."

That said, you could do worse than a Glock. I think they're ugly as can be and the balance doesn't suit my hand, but they're rugged, they work and they're plenty accurate. A co-worker compares them to a hammer in terms of looks and dependability, and he's right. (Guy that runs our local range handed me his spanking-new .40 Glock -- I dunno the number, mid-sized -- and 150 rounds: "Break this in for me, willya?" Not a single hiccup! And geez, is that guy ever lazy...).

Those CMP rifles are awfully tempting. But aren't you in the Daley Protecterate of Illinois? Will they dare trust you with such Evil Fireams of Destruction? Oh, the horrors! --Give 'em hell!

--Herself

boofus
February 21, 2006, 10:05 PM
Is it hard to buy a handgun in Canada?

MechAg94
February 22, 2006, 12:24 AM
I have a Glock 22. I like it a lot. The lack of a manual safety bugs me sometimes, but it has been very reliable.

My next purchase may be the XD. I saw them advertising an XD .45 ACP with 14 round capacity. I like my ParaOrdnance P14 so I'll have to check that out. :)

halfgone
February 22, 2006, 12:36 AM
That's what the license says, but the apartment is in WA. So I get to have my toys :D

As to canada, well from what I have heard, it isn't extremely difficult, but that's what [/i]they[/i] say. From what I hear, you have to be a member of a shooting club to get a permit for it, and then when you want to go shoot it you gotta call the RCMP (cops) and let them know you are going to be on the road with it, and what route you are taking. after that you have to call and tell them when you get to the range and when you leave and get home.

So, I think according to an american, YES, YES it is VERY difficult to get a handgun, and really, why would you? they don't allow CCW so they take away most of the fun!

So, my handgun purchase is in WA, where I live, I just go to school in Canada.

HG

If you enjoyed reading about "Woot!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!