Sig Mosquito vs. Walther p22

PDA

the 22 junkie
February 21, 2006, 10:08 PM
I'm shopping for a my first 22. autoloader and I would like your opinion on it.
I have narrowed it down to one of these two, (although a Mk. III is not completely out of the question). Some important factors for me:

Cost
Ease of Mantinence
Grip Size
Reliabilty [sic]
Features (decocker, safety, etc.)
Accesesabilty [sic again] to lefties

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Mosquito vs. Walther p22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
phantomak47
February 21, 2006, 10:53 PM
Buy the ruger.

Do some research here about the P 22 and you will find that it only likes some ammo and I knew some people that told me that they have to tighten up the pistol every 100 rounds because everyone comes lose. I have never met anyone that owned one that liked it.

Sig from most reports needs fine tunning, Its too new and the bugs are worked out. Yet again do a search.

ROBO4642
February 21, 2006, 11:07 PM
I love my P22, the feed problems were a mag defect. All the new guns come with the improved mags. Mine eats anything I feed it. I was interested in the Sig as well however I didnt like the gritty feeling of the slide. If you have big hands the Sig is 80% so it fits larger hands. Again I love my P22 its a blast, no pun intended.

Tropical Z
February 22, 2006, 02:07 PM
If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to choose from those two I'd get the Sig.I'd rather have anything else.

rageofangels
February 22, 2006, 05:00 PM
Both have feeding problems, both have slides made from inferior metals. Get a Buckmark and pray someone makes a sweet looking traditional style autoloader for a .22LR.

mapwd
February 22, 2006, 07:01 PM
I owned the P22, hated it, jammed all the time. The sig is an awesome gun

pauli
February 22, 2006, 07:30 PM
if your search has been narrowed to a mosquito or a p22... i advise you to widen your search. in the extra time this takes, you can earn enough money to cover the cost difference from stepping up to a trailside, mark 2, or buckmark, and end up with something that's not disposable.

atblis
February 23, 2006, 10:33 AM
Don't know about the mosquito.

If you want a "combat" style 22
http://www.czusa.com/01.detail.php?id=34

Electric Factory
December 3, 2007, 01:01 AM
I saw and shot a Mosquito for the first time today at the range when a fellow shooter pulled one from his shooting kit. The gun seemed to be well made and ergonomically friendly, feeling a lot like other [ larger caliber] Sig semi autos- I'd call it ' hand filling' but easy to adapt to.
I shot two mags with no issues- feeding, extraction, nothing. It was accurate out to 30yds and shooting steel plate at that distance was both easy and fun. I don't know what the street price is for these but my experience was positive and I'd consider buying one, again based on price .
Which carries the lesser street price, the Mosquito or the Ruger MKII / MKIII ?

George Hill
December 3, 2007, 01:25 AM
Browning Buckmark
Ruger MK-II or III
SIG Trail Side
Colt Cadet
Ruger Single Six

Get a real .22.

usp9
December 3, 2007, 08:12 AM
Between those two choices it is a crap shoot as to whether the pistol will function well. I tried both and neither one is reliable or exhibits quality manufacturing and materials. Buckmark or Ruger would be a wiser selection.

atblis
December 3, 2007, 10:08 AM
This thread got dredged up from it looks like February of 06.

Electric Factory
December 3, 2007, 10:25 AM
"This thread got dredged up from it looks like February of 06."

I think it's probably my fault. I didn't even know the Mosquito existed until I saw one this past weekend- does this make me a bit behind the curve ?:D I used the 'Search' feature to see what you guys thought about the gun and stumbled headlong into this thread !
I am looking to buy a semi-auto .22 pistol though, and the Mosquito I shot on Sunday seemed to work as advertised. That said I am also looking at the Ruger MK II/ MKIII as an option, it doesn't appear as though the Mosquito has a fan club around these parts .

atblis
December 3, 2007, 11:59 AM
I can think of one person who has a Mosquito and actually says it's a good gun.

The P22 is an utter piece of crap, and it seems to be considered a slightly better gun. Never shot a Mosquito, so I'll refrain from saying anything too bad about it.

It's hard to go wrong with a Ruger. Personally, I'd rather have a MKII than a MKIII.

If you want a 22 that looks like a "real" gun, then the CZ Kadet pistol is probably the best one. Even simply as a 22 pistol they are nice. The only thing nicer that I am aware of are the Marvel kits for a 1911. They'll cost you though.

AK103K
December 3, 2007, 12:30 PM
I have both the P22 and the Mosquito. Havent had any troubles with either. Both are fun little guns to shoot. The SIG's DA trigger does take a little getting used to.

I've owned at least one of pretty much all the different makes of so called "real" .22's over the years. A couple of things you will encounter with ALL of them is, they get grumpy when they get dirty, and many are ammo sensitive. Some shoot great, some were just OK. For the most part, all were fun. If I was pineing for one back, it would probably be one of my High Standards. Rugers and Buckmarks are nothing special. (other Brownings are a different story)

Electric Factory
December 3, 2007, 05:45 PM
" I have both the P22 and the Mosquito. Havent had any troubles with either. Both are fun little guns to shoot. The SIG's DA trigger does take a little getting used to. "

Yea, you're certainly spot on about the trigger, a little 'mushy . Once you get through it the let off seemed crisp, but I wonder how involved a fix it would be for a gunsmith to do a trigger job ? Or perhaps mushiness is the nature of the D/A semi-auto ?
By the way, given your positive experience and mine with the Mosquito makes a body wonder what generated the bad rep ?

AK103K
December 3, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'm not saying that people didnt have some issues with them early on, (mines an early gun, and its been fine) but I dont think its as bad as it always morphs into on the internet. You usually see the same people aggressively bad mouthing them in many of the threads, and for what ever reason, they seem to have a great dislike of them, and want you to too. You also get a lot of "I heards..."", although those seem to have died down some. I know people who have one or the other or both and we shoot together. None of us so far have had any issues, none at least that I'm aware of.

I dont know if there is a trigger job available or not. My P22 has a better DA trigger than my Mosquito. The Mosquito's trigger is also not what most SIG's DA triggers are like, and is particular to it. The Mosquito's trigger aint the greatest, but its also not all that bad once you get used to it. I shoot mine that way all the time, and have no troubles hitting what I'm shooting at.

Ragnar Danneskjold
December 3, 2007, 06:30 PM
I have the P22, and I love it. The ambi mag release is much better for me than the standard button-release like on a Beretta 92. The P22 has the look and feel of a non-.22. Mine shoots all sorts of ammo, though I usually only feed it either Federal bulk or CCI stingers or mini-mags.

I don't like the Ruger simply because it doesn't look feel or act like a normal gun. I use my P22 to practice how I would shoot a "real" gun, like my P99. So far I have had no problems.

hksw
December 3, 2007, 08:39 PM
I had purchased my P22 (5") about a year after they came out (hoping any bugs would be fixed by then). It had failure to eject issues from the start which was found to be due to the firing pin block hitting that small hump on the top of the frame as the slide cycled. (It slowed the slide down to the point of causing the FTEs.)

(Represetative photo from an instructional website concerning the P22 reiabiity issues and their fix.)
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/villan535/P2201.jpg

After beveling the area so that the block clears the hump, my P22 has since been reliable. (Just waiting for the slide to break.)

After recently trying out a friend's Mosquito (threaded barrel with the threads modified for standard threads), I was starting to think more of it after reading numerous negative reviews on various gun boards. his gun did FTEed often but I felt that if fed with high velocity ammo, it should do OK. Sure enough, he had run some HV ammo through and reported good results. I've always thought the Mosquito felt very nice in my hand but put off buying one due to the reports...until last week when I got one of the Sport models (5" bbl) from Bud's.

IMO the Mosquito is a better gun as it fits a more normal sized hand. Not as big as a P226 but still very comfortable, better than the tiny P22 grip.

The DA trigger on my Mosi isn't mushy but it is quite heavy and stacks. Heaviest DA handgun trigger in all of my collection. SA is surprisingly very crisp, though. (Still unfired.)

Electric Factory
December 3, 2007, 10:26 PM
".... but put off buying one due to the reports...until last week when I got one of the Sport models (5" bbl) from Bud's.

The DA trigger on my Mosi isn't mushy but it is quite heavy and stacks. Heaviest DA handgun trigger in all of my collection... "

The Sports model is exactly the one I want when I finally buy one- any idea what the best street price would be ?
As to the DA trigger pull, wouldn't that be a simple trigger adjustment by a gunsmith ?

Moccw
December 3, 2007, 10:31 PM
get the sig, use the recommended cci minimags, 3000 rds, not one ftf not one problem at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nwilliams
December 3, 2007, 11:40 PM
I have owned both a P22 and a Sig Mosquito.

I didn't have either very long. They both look very cool and are fun to shoot when they actually choose to function, but neither one is very reliable. I ended up selling the Mosquito to my friend's girlfriend because she fell in love with it. The P22 I was all to happy to sell after a few months of owning it, constantly jammed and wasn't very accurate IMO.

Get the Ruger its a far better gun, I owned a Mk3 for a long time and really loved it, can't remember now why I ever sold it, must have needed the money:rolleyes:

For the best bang for your buck the P22 and Sig Mosquito don't hold a candle to any of the Ruger .22 autos, not even remotely close.

tsidorus
December 3, 2007, 11:54 PM
get a ruger or browning and use one of these http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16700&title=.22+AUTO+ULTIMATE+CLIP+LOADER

It rocks

brentn
December 4, 2007, 02:40 AM
Damn, this thread is truly disappointing, however I'm quite glad that I read it.
I was at my local gun shop on the weekend looking at the p22 and mosquito throught he glass, they also had a real fancy target beretta autoloader in .22 but I don't know anything about it other than it costed 200$ more.
The mosquito looked EXTREMLEY appealing to me, except for the price tag in comparison to the ruger, and I was really checking it out. I didn't handle it as the guy at the counter was quite busy and by himself but I checked it over for a good 5 minutes.
Point being I wanted to buy one, but I also noted the ruger and have read about how awesome a handgun it really is.

Its quite clear to me now, that unless I get a mosquito for a smoking price (200$ or less lol) then I will never buy it... Too bad cause it looks real nice.
Would love to have a 5" bull barrel Mark III :D

Sgt.Dusk
December 4, 2007, 02:48 AM
I say take ruger.

evan price
December 4, 2007, 04:40 AM
ALmost 6000 rounds through my P22, it's a fun gun, it is the one gun that ALWAYS goes to the range with me and gets shot. Glad I bought it, would buy another.

PennsyPlinker
December 4, 2007, 08:46 AM
Well it looks like the thread is going to live for a while, so I will post my experience here too. I have owned a P22 for almost two years now. It is reliable with Federal Champion bulk ammo from Cabela's. It is probably paper plate accurate, but not much better than that. I keep it mainly for the kids and now the grandkids. The grandson in particular is more excited with the noise and smoke than actually hitting anything. But that will come as he gets older.

I really enjoy shooting .22 myself, so if I want to get some real practice in, I put the Kadet conversion kit on my CZ 75 P-01 for semi auto, or for more contemplative shooting, I shoot the Ruger Single Six. Both are very accurate and fun to shoot. I have a Colt 1911 on the way, and I am already lusting after a conversion kit for it!

TexasRifleman
December 4, 2007, 08:54 AM
I too had the Sig and it's one of the very few handguns I've sold. It was just awful.

I have a P22 and have had no issues at all with it. It feeds the cheapo Wal Mart bulk ammo just fine. It's got maybe 500 rounds through....

trueblue1776
December 4, 2007, 09:04 AM
My P22 has been top notch. For $479 you can buy a P22 w/ suppressor from impact guns. :evil:

It's awesome how everybody comes out of the woods to badmouth those two pistols. Yes, I have seen the same two slide failure pictures everybody else has seen here on THR.

I have an extremely early P22 (N008###) and it has been flawless. This is a Chevy verses Ford argument if you ask me. If the P22 was such junk, they wouldn't STILL be such big sellers after 8 years on the market.

Electric Factory
December 4, 2007, 10:36 AM
"It's awesome how everybody comes out of the woods to badmouth those two pistols.
I have an extremely early P22 (N008###) and it has been flawless. This is a Chevy verses Ford argument if you ask me. If the P22 was such junk, they wouldn't STILL be such big sellers after 8 years on the market. "

Your last statement sums it up perfectly if you ask me. Both the P22 and Mosquito seem to be both extremely popular and controversial. It still don't quite understand the animosity regarding the Mosquito- by most accounts here user experience has been positive.
Kind of a head scratcher.:confused:

hksw
December 4, 2007, 01:17 PM
The Sports model is exactly the one I want when I finally buy one- any idea what the best street price would be ?
As to the DA trigger pull, wouldn't that be a simple trigger adjustment by a gunsmith ?

Best price I've seen for a Sport is at Bud's. It's still advertised on their website's front page but had gone up $17 since when I ordered at $330 delivered.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

I haven't totally taken down my Mosi to examine the internals. Not sure what can be done for the DA pull weight, possibly a simple spring replacement.

Arkrube
December 10, 2007, 09:42 PM
I own two Sig pistols, P220 and P226, and I just felt the urge to purchase the Mosquito...I got mine for $284; I am not overly impressed.
The trigger is plastic and it is "picky" when it comes to ammo. I had numerous rounds not seat in the chamber and that caused me switch to another brand, but the magazine feeder spring doesn't appear to be stiff enough. I had 3 to 4 times in which the top round in the factory mag was "missed" by the returning bolt.
I agree with the gentleman in this forum that suggested the Ruger MarkIII; get one in SS, bull barrel, walnut grips and an extra clip for about the same price and a firearm that will shoot about anything you feed it.
I wonder if I can return mine? This pistol size is 90% of that of the P226 and P220, but it's not even close to the same "animal" as the other SIG pistols...
I am 90% dissatisfied with mine...try the Ruger or Browning.

LegalAlien
December 10, 2007, 11:07 PM
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=154519

Go for the Browing Buckmark or the Ruger

duboy
December 11, 2007, 12:28 AM
i want to throw one in for the mosquito. I have run about 300 rounds through mine (Federal bulk pack) with no problems. i had a P22 years ago, and after about 1K rounds it felt like it was about to fall apart. I like the feel of the mosquito the best out of all .22lr pistols i've had the pleasure of shooting. Yes, the DA trigger is awful, the SA trigger isn't bad once you get used to it. i am very glad i invested in the mosquito and expect that it will be quite a performer. Also i hear that Sig takes care of the problems with their guns should anything go wrong. We'll see i guess.

Roccobro
December 20, 2007, 02:17 AM
ALmost 6000 rounds through my P22, it's a fun gun, it is the one gun that ALWAYS goes to the range with me and gets shot. Glad I bought it, would buy another.

Ditto, but a couple K less rounds. Did the fluff and buff from the "P22 Bible" and just love the way it runs. It goes to the range EVERY TIME. I like to give it to my buddies girlfriends when they shy away from the mans favorite pistol from recoil. Cheap Remy Golden bullets work the best with zero problems. Better ammo doesn't do so good... Go figure. :confused:

According to S&W, slide fractures are from worn or weak recoil springs. They replace anything on the gun for free should anything happen. Shoot, they sent me free springs I lost during a midnight detailed strip. :o

Justin

FieroCDSP
December 20, 2007, 08:36 PM
I also am happy with my P22 so far. 1K rounds through it, and after I did a partial smith job on it to reduce wear, I've had no complaints and hardly a fail-to-feed. The P22 Bible is really the thing you need from the get-go to make the gun run like a custom. Heck, they should either do the work at the factory or package the bible and the few required tools with it, because while it can run stock, the wear and tear of the stamped metal parts on the slide can lead to failures.

SO far, the only slide cracks or breaks I've seen have been on the 5" models. THe thought is that the slide is slamming against the compensator and putting stress on it. THe short models have fared quite well in comparison.

For those who don't have it and would really like it, you can PM me for the P22 Bible. I didn't write it, but it's a wealth of info that I'm sure the author wanted to be shared.

Roccobro
December 21, 2007, 01:06 AM
http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf

There is a thread on Rimfirecentral cataloging slide failures. There are a few of 3.4" models breaking. Seems it may well be the recoil spring weakening leading to slide fracture all around the slide at the front sight hole. Slide impacting slide stop is the culprit.

Another downside to the mosquito I remembered today... It only comes with one mag while the Rugers and P-22 come with 2! The dealer didn't carry mags so I don't know how they compare cost wise... I like to have about 5 mags for each of my .22 pistols. :D

Justin

dpayne4226@aol.com
January 21, 2008, 09:16 PM
I bought a new Walther P-22, because I am a big Walther fan, and I loved the scaled down size but it was a frequent jammer. It jammed with all brands of ammo and three dirrerent clips.
I traded it for a new Sig Mosquito, because I am a big Sig lover. The Mosquito jams even worse. It will shoot five or six rounds on a clean barrel and chamber, then start jamming every shot. I'm going to send it back to Sig and see if they will fix it.
If Ruger can make a 22 pistol shoot why can't Sig and Walther?

DP

Tamren
January 21, 2008, 09:45 PM
I bought a P22 Target (5" Barrel) about a year back as my first handgun. I liked how functionally the P22 was like a larger weapon and I liked how it looked.

Generally speaking I'll have a ftf 2-3 times per bulk pack of federal, and rarely have a fte problem. The only time my P22 gets finicky is if it's really dirty. My only real complaint about my P22 is the grip size, it's just too small for my giant ogre hands.

If I'd known now what I did then, I'd have looked at the other P22s they had and chosen a different one. Originally, the tap for the barrel weight wasn't quite in the right spot, which skewed the front sights at about a 5 degree angle, and the rear sights were loose.

After about 18,000 rounds the slide cracked below the front sight slot on the slide itself. By that point I had moved the front sights from the barrel weight to the slide itself. I took it back to the store I had bought it from and got it fixed for free courtesy of Walther.

Now, my P22 is much improved, the barrel weight (I don't really want to call it a compensator, too grandiose :p) is nice and square with the slide, and the rear sights are tight.

I won't say I regret having a P22 as my first firearm, but I don't think I'd add a 2nd to my collection. I'd rather have a Ruger Mk III.

greener
January 21, 2008, 09:49 PM
I had been looking at the Sig and the P22. I caught a P22 at a price that seemed like a good deal. Somewhere between 600 and 900 rounds I noticed metal shavings in the action and the slide looked like this:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/greener6/slide-1.jpg

Sent it off to S&W and they replaced the barrel (????) but said the slide wear was normal. I think they sent a different slide back. I polished the trigger bar ears and have had no more difficulty with the slide.

It's taken a long time for me to get to the point that I can shoot the pistol with any degree of accuracy.

After a year with the P22, my opinion:

1. They could have done better on materials of construction (zinc slide) and fit and finish on parts. A simple matter of rounding stamped parts fixed the problem.
2. The pistol is, for me, hard to shoot accurately.
3. The pistol is a fun shooter and worth having in your collection.

If you are getting a first .22 or want one that is out of the box more accurate and reliable then the 22A, Ruger MKII/III or Buck Mark is a better purchase. Have them all and like shooting them all.

Chem Geek
January 21, 2008, 09:54 PM
I love my P22. Cheap fun all the time. It rarely fails other than dud rounds out of a bulk pack. Accuracy is actually pretty good, the sights are open a little more than target sights. Good enough to hit a 12x18" steel plate at 100yards repeatedly shooting off hand. That's good enough for me. :) One of my shooting buddies has a suppressed one, and loves it as well.

At this point I'd probably get a Ruger next cause a target pistol would be fun. I shot a Mosquito but didn't like it that much, trigger was kind of blah. If I had to chose, I'd keep the P22 over a Ruger. Works great, accurate, and every person I introduce to shooting loves it. Especially the ladies. :cool:

2nd 41
January 21, 2008, 10:04 PM
Just sold my Mosquito. Worst gun I ever owned. Lost money...glad to get rid of it.

ravencon
January 21, 2008, 10:41 PM
I used to own a Sig Mosquito. The use of the past tense says it all.:mad:

There are plenty of good used Rugers around. I'd take a Mark II over a Mark III.

Luis Leon
January 21, 2008, 10:47 PM
There are a lot of negative comments about the P22, but everytime I take mine to the range it shoots just fine. Its not my main .22 plinker, but so far is has eaten 1000s of rounds with no problems. I bought it because it looks like a carry gun, and its fun to shoot.

regards,

Luis Leon

S&W K22 circa 1947
S&W 41
S&W 63
CZ75 kadet
P22

TheLame
February 15, 2008, 01:20 PM
Hey guys,
i'm new to this board...but not to shooting and i have/had a p22 with about 6500rnds thru it.

i just had the "business" end of the slide break off... all the way off... on round seven of ten. Slide, or most of it at least, landed beside me, and the end chunck landed 20ft in front of the shooting line.

it broke from the front edge of the sight opening straight down to the bottom of the slide...very cleanly along the casting line. I have cast aluminum many times and been a metal worker all my life and this looks like a design flaw(the slide is too thin)...the next slide they send me will have the same design ...same problem and none of my confidence.

http://picasaweb.google.com/JonasHallGariano/P22Failure/photo#5167271672083708562

i cannot beggin to describe how sketched out this left me. i really liked my p22. It was fickle with ammo but once i found something it liked(winchester dynapoint 40grain), it fed beautifully...

Now i don;t even want to shoot it. Destroyed any confidence i had in it as a machine.

please beware the p22 upper...and check it for cracks when you are field stripping it.

last, sorry for the poor quality pics....

-TheLame
in case the pics fail to link http://picasaweb.google.com/JonasHallGariano (http://picasaweb.google.com/JonasHallGariano/P22Failure)

Roccobro
February 15, 2008, 03:17 PM
Once you get the gun back together, I'll buy it. :)

I'm starting a collection of them from scared owners (not many have had a failure, those that have have not been hurt at all).

Can you imagine how many failures and jams you'd have to get through on a Mosquito to get to 6500 rounds. :eek:

Justin

Roccobro
February 15, 2008, 03:27 PM
Also if possible, please post your story and pixs on Rim fire central on their P22 failure documentation thread. The are trying to keep tabs on internet documented incidents.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96595

Notice the biggest whiner/complainer on the linked thread doesn't even own a P22! :p

Justin

col_tapiocca
February 15, 2008, 04:05 PM
I used to have a P22 but a trade it for a Winchester 9422.
I'll never buy the P22 again. Get a Ruger MK II or III. Better material and more accurate then a P22.

AK103K
February 15, 2008, 04:16 PM
Can you imagine how many failures and jams you'd have to get through on a Mosquito to get to 6500 rounds.
I'm at a little over 4000 rounds on mine right now and havent seen any of either so far, but I'll let you know when they start. :)

atblis
February 15, 2008, 05:37 PM
Can you imagine how many failures and jams you'd have to get through on a Mosquito to get to 6500 rounds.

In my experience, it would be about be about the same.

Anybody else find it odd that we get two pistol that are from reputable German manufacturers, that are similar in target market, intended use, plastic and zinc construction, and just downright crappiness. What the heck were Walther and SIG thinking?

AK103K
February 15, 2008, 06:24 PM
same thing as any of the other makers....$$$$

jeridurine
February 15, 2008, 08:53 PM
I have had my P22 for a year now and had fired at least 1,200 rounds out of it. I have a red dot sight and a target barrel on it. But it all depends what you are using it for. I have never shot a Sig but I held one and it does feel like a large caliber pistol. For hunting I would go with the Ruger or Buckmark, and for plinking I would go with the P22 or Sig.

Roccobro
February 16, 2008, 02:30 AM
I'm at a little over 4000 rounds on mine right now and havent seen any of either so far, but I'll let you know when they start.

I wish you had posted your good experience a few weeks back. I might have bought one. But every post here was pretty negative regarding the "higher than P22 priced" heavy Mosquito.

Justin

AK103K
February 16, 2008, 10:11 AM
I've posted in the positive for both these pistols in many of these threads.

I own both, and early versions of each, and have shot them both a good bit, with none of the horrific issues you keep hearing "repeated". Both have been fun little guns.

If either fails, I'll be the first to let you know.

DHB Buckeye
December 27, 2008, 03:00 PM
I just bought a P22 for my son because of the fit to his small hands. Sot it yesterday and we are both disappointed. Not accurate. Some blue missing and resultant rust. 2nd round fails to ded with both magazines 100% of the time. I have had my MkII with 5' bull barrell in stainless since late 80's. A beautiful gun in every way. Better than MkIII though I like the mag release on the MkIII

Roccobro
December 30, 2008, 06:33 PM
Try different ammo.

Justin

EDIT: Doesn't sound like you bought a "new" gun there. I know I wouldn't accept rust on ANY mfgrs new production firearm. Try different brands and weight ammo till you find one that works good. Maybe even search out the "p22 bible" on RimFireCentral.com to enjoy it to it's fullest.

atblis
December 30, 2008, 11:52 PM
Try different gun.

Andrew

.66Cal.
December 31, 2008, 08:18 PM
haven't considered the 22A?

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2457/ebaysaleitems166xx4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

KE4NYV
December 31, 2008, 09:44 PM
I had my heart set on the p22 and even went to a show this last weekend to buy one. Within 10 minutes of getting there, I ran into two different friends that both suggest against it. One of them owned the Mosquito and swore by it. I checked out both and ended up going with the Mosquito. The price was great at $285, about $75 cheaper than any p22 at the show.

I'm glad I went with the Mosquito, I like it much better. It just feels better in my hand and I also don't have to deal with that stupid mag release they put on the p22.

gglass
December 31, 2008, 10:06 PM
The Walther P22 is a far better weapon than the SIG Mosquito, but as others have already said... "Go Ruger!"

Check out the Sig Forums and you will see that this is the most hated pistol that Sig Sauer ever made.

terboed
February 24, 2009, 04:42 PM
to chime in on this topic,

I have just purchased my first sig, the Mosquito. After almost purchasing the walther p22, i made a last second decision and bought the Mosquito. The Walther grip just feels too small. This pistol was new and begins with F03 in the serial for those keeping track.

Last weekend i took it out for the first time. I had 1 FTF and 1 FTL out of 420 rounds of CCI Minimag's.

Both Failures were when the pistol became dirty after a few hundred rounds.

A buddy of mine has a Walther p22 he bought a few years back with the extended barrel and FTF/FTL's seem to be more common than that of the Mosquito.

i am very happy with my purchase and am glad i did not go with the child sized p22.

Make sure you take the time to thoroughly clean the pistol before its first outing as my slide was packed with thick white grease. i rubbed the contact points of the slide and frame very lightly with a few drops of lube on a rag.

ArmedBear
February 24, 2009, 05:19 PM
Neither. Both are a waste of money.

I belong to a little shooting club where .22 pistols are the gun of choice, much of the time. We have matches, leagues, etc., so you see a lot of rounds go through .22s. If it doesn't work, you won't see a gun twice.:)

On the "affordable" end, there are Rugers (mostly Mark IIs) and Browning Buckmarks.

In the "nice gun if you can find one" are old High Standards, especially Victors. No longer made. Same for the Browning Medalist.

On the higher end, the S&W 41, various Euroguns like Benellis and Hammerlis (not the cheap ones -- people like to dry-fire to warm up for a match). .22 pistols can be pretty expensive if you want them to be. OTOH we have at least one Olympic gold medalist in the club, so some of the guys are pretty serious competitors (though friendly).

I would buy a Ruger or a Browning. I have a couple Rugers, one a bone-stock 22/45 (Mark II version), blue with a special-run 6 7/8" slabside bull barrel, the other a somewhat tricked-out Mark II Competition stainless with the same barrel and a scope. 100% reliable, very accurate with any ammunition. Neither one of them cost me a lot. The 22/45 I got new for $280; the Mark II I got used.

You can sometimes get a brand new 22/45 Mark III for $250 still. THAT is what I'd recommend. Or a Buckmark on sale -- also $250 or so, sometimes, in basic trim.

Nothing else in that price range is worth looking at IMO, at least if you enjoy having your guns to go off when you pull the trigger.:D

AK103K
February 24, 2009, 05:55 PM
Nothing else in that price range is worth looking at IMO, at least if you enjoy having your guns to go off when you pull the trigger.
Over the years, I've owned a number of the higher end guns you mentioned. High Standards, Brownings, S&W's, etc. I've also owned a number of the Rugers. Some were great, some were also PITA's.

These days, the two .22 pistols I own, are the P22 and the Mosquito. Both go bang when I pull the trigger too, as long as the ammo cooperates.

Hmmm, what was your point again? :rolleyes:

gvnwst
February 24, 2009, 05:58 PM
I personally like my P22, it is reliable with bulk ammo and high quality stuff alike, despite what people said. The SIG on the other hand, i haev seen jam over and over. And the P22 fits my hand better, so that is what i got. (and would get again) The ruger MK____s grips are horrible IMO, a reason i didn't get one. But a 22A or buckmark might be slightly more accurate.

ArmedBear
February 24, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hmmm, what was your point again?

You got lucky with a couple of guns?:)

AK103K
February 24, 2009, 06:10 PM
You got lucky with a couple of guns?
Must be a lot of us that were then, most of my buddies (as well as a number of people I see where I shoot) have one or the other or both too, and nobody seems to have had, or be having any problems. Most of us got them early on too, back in the "scary" days . :)

Maybe its the unlucky side on your end. ;)

terboed
February 24, 2009, 06:52 PM
Well, i guess some people have had bad experiences with both the walther and the sig. But with time comes change. I believe both company's have worked out the bugs at this point. At least with my mosquito i know this to be true. And remember these are not target pistols by any means. A trainer at the most, and tons of fun at .50 cents a mag. If i want accuracy in 22cal i will shoot my single six.

searcher451
February 24, 2009, 08:49 PM
This thread started in 2006, guys. That's a long time ago. Heck, the economy was spinning along and most everyone had jobs and ammo was still available in the stores. Let's hope the OP figured out which gun he wanted, or didn't, a long time ago and has moved on to better things than a P22 or a Sig Mosquito.

terboed
February 24, 2009, 09:11 PM
message boards are not only a good place to find an answer to a question, but a good source of info on particular items. hence the reason i am on this site. google search on sig mosquito pulls this site first or second hit. the more info the better. recent info anyway....

atblis
February 25, 2009, 09:15 AM
Recent info.
Still made from plastic and zinc.
Still junk.
Nothing else to see here. Move along.

AK103K
February 25, 2009, 09:20 AM
Recent info.
Still junk.

Still the same old response from Atblis. :)

Kalisperas
March 19, 2009, 04:15 PM
I own both guns, and have had very few problems with either one.

Funny thing is, I have friends with Rugers and Buckmarks, and they have no more or less issues with those supposedly "better" guns than I have with my P22 and Mosquito.

I sometimes think a lot of the hate for these guns is little more than bandwagon bashing.

Roccobro
March 20, 2009, 03:12 PM
P22 is still most popular .22 pistol with new shooters I take to the range.

If only the mag release wasn't like it is, it would be near perfect intro-to-guns gun in my book. :)

Justin

SSorey
April 21, 2009, 04:17 PM
I have a P22, and its ok. I also have a MkIII Ruger with a Tatical Solutions upper....definately the way to go. I've shot the Sig and with the price of ammo I am thinking about picking one of those up also. If you are going to be shooting suppressed, the Walther is the "quietest" choice. I've never had any real problems with the P22. Keep it clean and it works. The sig is still very noisy suppressed although I'm not really sure why.

Also, you have to remember that rimfire ammo is sometimes the problem, not the gun. Its not a center fire. Keep that in mind and you'll have fun.

Mr. Bojangles
April 22, 2009, 08:08 AM
I own a P-22. I absolutely love it. It does have an FTF or a jam about every 200 rounds or so, but I am feeding it Walmart's cheapest bulk ammo. It has been literally 100% reliable with CCI minimags. I've put about 4000 rounds through the P-22 and I love it. Aside from cleaning it, I have not had to do any other maintenance to it.

Roccobro
April 22, 2009, 02:03 PM
Funny you mention your Ruger with TS upper SSorey. My P22 is more reliable than my Packlite MKIII! Still trying more brands of ammo, but kind of bummed with spending 2x the price of my P22....

Justin

Q-Gunner2
May 16, 2009, 12:21 AM
I own a P22, OD frame black slide. I have no clue where the hate comes from... mine has seen over 5,000 rounds of Federal ammo. I have had three failures in 5,000 rounds, two due to the first round in the magazine popping up when slapped in hard, both failures from the same magazine, and one fail to fire after many re-strikes (bad round). I own 5 factory magazines for my P22, too.

The P22 has a better trigger than the Mosquito as well as cheaper magazines, and the ability to change back and forth between barrel lengths easily, plus the ambi mag release. I love Sig stuff, I own two 226 pistols, but I am not a fan of the Mosquito. To each his own.

I did not consider a Mk II or III, not because they are bad guns, but because they are heavy bricks with non-standard controls (mag release, safety, etc). I would like to own one one day, though, because they are very nice pistols. Plus, the sights on the Mk II kick the ass of Mosquito and P22 sights any day.

For anyone complaining about the zinc slide... get over it. Polymer framed pistols were inferior pieces of junk that got weak in the sun 30 years ago and the opinion was that they were all crap. The early P22s had problems with slide cracks due to the way the slide was produced, just like early polymers were more sensitive to UV light. Technology improves.

The P22 does have a steel breech block, by the way.

sweet45
May 16, 2009, 10:33 AM
Browning Buckmark! Very accurate, very nice single action trigger. I love sigs, but not the Mosquito.

cabopc
May 16, 2009, 03:02 PM
This thread is still pertinent to me as I'm currently trying to decide on a .22. I'm been shooting the P22 and the Sig at my local range and have enjoyed them both. I prefer the the size and feel of the Sig though. It also looks more like a typical pistol. I've put a few hundred rounds through each without any trouble. Many people rec'd a Luger but I just can't get past how weird they look.

TexasBill
June 26, 2009, 04:44 AM
I own both the Mosquito and the P22 and my wife also has a P22. My wife, college-age daughter and 11-year-old son like the P22 because of its size while I prefer the SIG for the same reason. The Mosquito is one of the most comfortable guns I have ever owned and I like the extra weight.

The SIG is a bit more finicky about ammunition than the Walther but I have found that Remington Golden Bullets in the 525-cartridge bulk pack work very well in both, as do the recommended CCI MiniMags. At less than five cents a shot, the Remington does just fine for a day of plinking at the range. Some recommend the Federal ammo from Wal-Mart, but my local Wally World never seems to have any 22 LR at all, so I haven't been able to put it to the test. I have tried a bunch of different types of 22LR but wound up feeding most of them to the Henry which happily feeds just about anything.

I have owned the Browning and a Colt Woodsman in the past and have shot the Ruger. They are all very fine pistols, but I think the Mosquito and P22 are more fun.

As far as bagging stew meat goes, I live in a city so my varmint-huntin' opportunities are limited; people would probably get a bit upset if I started popping the neighborhood squirrels. And even back in the days when I lived where I could go after rabbits, prairie dogs, armadillos and such, I usually just used a rifle because of the ranges.

In the end, if you've shot them both and like the way the SIG feels, you should get the SIG. After all, you're the one who's going to be plunking down your hard-earned for the gun and you should get the one that feels best to you. Feed it the right ammunition and you'll have a pistol that's comfortable to shoot, easy to maintain, and will give you lots of shooting pleasure.

And that's the whole point, isn't it?

midiwall
June 26, 2009, 01:40 PM
I was gonna resurrect this thread when I bought a Mosquito a couple of weeks ago, but I figured I'd wait and see if someone else did it first. Thanks Bill! :)

I bought a Pink Mosquito for my (to be) step-daughter's graduation/18th bday. Of course, she got to shoot the first rounds out of it, but her mom and I both got to put a few rounds downrange as well.

I'd read the basic 50/50 reviews of this gun in terms of FTE's but we shot 200+ rounds of Aguila High Velocity (couldn't find any CCI MiniMags) and it did just fine. Yes, we had a couple of FTE's but I'm confident that a) the gun was still tight, and b) the CCI MiniMags will be better.

I had stripped/cleaned/lubed the gun before we left and I was left really impressed at the end of the range time. We may have to get a black one too. :)

Nice gun. Good feel (gotta polish that trigger though). Good weight. VERY accurate. Very happy.

Roccobro
June 27, 2009, 12:11 AM
A pink Mosquito...

I might be buying one afterall! :)

Justin

rc109a
June 27, 2009, 11:28 AM
EDIT: OMG I did not realize just how old this thread was until I went back and looked at the dates. I sure hope the OP has made his decision by now... Anyway here is my recent observations as of Thursday 18th, 2009:

I don't own one, but was going to buy one. Instead I borrowed my friend's Mesquito.

This gun was new and never fired. We went down to the range and I took my brand new MK3 Comp with 6 7/8 barrel. I love the feel of the mesquito, but found the trigger really sloppy. The take up was way way to long. The gun jammed almost consitantly using Winchester, Remington, and Federal bulk packs.

The mark3 never even cared what t was feed. It fired everything without any malfunctions.

These guns both had the exact amount of rounds fired through them. The both started with zero that day. After fighting the mesquito for 4 hours we gave up and only have 100 rnds fired through it. The MK3 got 800rnds shot down range.

My friend is now trying to sell it to get a MK3. I am sure others will say it is ammo picky, but I don't want to be tied up in a gun that can only fire certain rounds, I am cheap and want to fire what ever I can get (did I mention cheap). Afterall this gun is for plinking and having fun, not for pulling my hair out everytime I go to the range.

I am sure there are other opinions, and I hope you read them all. Take a good assesment and make your own decision. Both guns have had issues, but I got to fire two brand new guns (that were properly cleaned before shooting) side by side and this is just my opinion. Good luck and let us know what you decide...

BlackHand1917
June 28, 2009, 04:42 PM
I have never heard much info on another "combat-style" .22. Anybody have anything to say on the Beretta Cheetah .22 model? Looks like a neat gun. I might get one....if I could win the lottery! Most .22 Cheetahs I have seen run in the 600 dollar range.

I like my p-22 , but I am aware of its limitations. Mine only shoots CCI minimags and Remington Vipers reliably. My Ruger Mark II is a better gun in functionalty but it is heavy as a rifle.

Twilliams
July 19, 2009, 11:02 PM
After reading all the doubtful and scary talk about the mosquito i went out and purchased one anyway. The first time i shot it i used cci mini mags as recommended and i had function problems galore but after consistently using mini mags for 700 rounds and cleaning it really really good and keeping it well lubricated the problems melted away. Now im shooting hundreds of the federal .22 rounds (the cheap stuff) every time i go to the range i don't have a single problem whatsoever. And its accurate i can consistently shoot 1 inch groups at 10 yards.

The bottom line. Sig has sucessfully worked out all of the bugs with the older models and the newer guns when properly maintained are an exelent training weapon and a hoot to shoot, and for $299 how could you go wrong

Roccobro
July 20, 2009, 02:23 PM
Twilliams- Welcome to The High Road. Glad you got you got your Sig working good. GIves me hope on buying one someday.

But just so we get this straight... After running the expensive/premium ammo for 700 rounds, with MANY problems, that is considered "Sig has successfully worked out all of the bugs"??? lol

Justin

rageofangels
July 20, 2009, 05:30 PM
Is the trigger still long and mushy?

rellascout
July 20, 2009, 05:47 PM
The mosquito has the worst Sig trigger ever!

AK103K
July 20, 2009, 06:48 PM
Well, it and the factory P6.

The Mosquito's trigger really isnt like any of the the SIG triggers I've ever shot. Even the shape of it is different. Once you get used to it though, its not bad, and the gun still shoots well, and although not perfect in this respect, it still works well as a cheaper to shoot substitute for the other models.

trigga
July 29, 2009, 07:08 PM
i just bought the sw 22a and man i tell you this thing is damn accurate out of the box. i've shot over 600 rounds with misc ammo without cleaning and no issues at all so far. i don't like how it looks but that is not what i bought it for. the only thing i dislike is the tin can material magazines. they feel cheap but feed like a champ. the gun is truely a winner in my books for the $$.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h128/teddy_dc2/DSC00200.jpg

Biggfoot44
August 22, 2009, 04:20 AM
Just bought one. Going in with my eyes open.
It is a pink one, and daughter (13) is a sucker for pink. For me it can be an understudy for civillian P225 .
Stripped it, cleaned and lubed. Was going to have her fire off a mag to function test before work tonite, but thunderstorm rolled in.
Bought it for above reasonns. If looking for a stand alone .22, there are other choices. Rugvers are ubiquitous , but I have a fondnness for three digit S&W's. Slimmer, better balance , excellent sights, more accurate than most stock Rugers. But a pain to disasemble.

sc020643
September 22, 2009, 09:21 AM
has anyone had the same luck with the misquito sport...dissapointment?

NC guy
September 23, 2009, 09:50 AM
i own one of each and they are Fine guns.

the p22 took about 1500 rounds ran through it before it was a smooth gun, it did not work with cheep ammo or in the cold when i first got it but after about1500 rounds it became a very well functioning and accurate gun. if it dose not work when you pull if out of the box shoot the first mag fast and that will worm it up and get it going.

the Sig is one of my favorites and has all ways been a reliable and dependable gun straight out of the box, the mag are $$ and are not sold every where. i have one that has a metal mag but the new ones have polymer mags and they say that fix the problem,but i have NEVER ever had a problem with mine.

as for Ruger MKIII i have the ruger MKIII 22/45 and it is a pain in the neck to put back together (not that bad) but i have over 40 guns and do not need to read instructions for any of them but the MKIII, i have needed to read them every time and still it takes many tries. them manual said there is one step that if it is not done right you will destroy the gun and render it useless.(i don't like the sound of that.) the sig nor walther said that.

NC guy
September 23, 2009, 10:05 AM
most good guns that are made to last a life time (10s or hundreds of thousands of rounds) they need a few hundred or few thousand worm up rounds. if they are not tight out of the box they will be loss and sloppy after 5,000 or 10,000 rounds. so if you want some thing to shoot 100 round from before you put it in the closet you get a loose gun, if you want something that is good for thousands and thousands rounds you get a tight gun and break it in just like a pair of shoes.

GunLover2010
February 19, 2010, 12:27 PM
I had the same dilemma between these two 22 pistols. My father in law got the Mosquito, but after some research I decided on the P22. Yesterday we went to the range together and the Sig jammed every 2 to 8 rounds. :banghead: I fired 300 rounds in my P22 and only jammed 3 times with 36 Grain Federal ammo. Cheap Walmart Remington Tunderbolt works like a charm with absolutely no jams. I heard the trick is to use 40 grain only. So far that's been true for me with the P22.

While I know Sigs work best with CCI Mini Mags, why get a pistol that is so restrictive? That ammo is more expensive and pretty hard to get these days. Don't get me wrong, the Sig feels better in my hands and fires better when it doesn't jam, but what's the point if you're constantly clearing the gun?

I'd definitely go with the P22 if you are deciding between the two. Fun little gun, plus all you need is a barrel extender if you ever want to add a suppressor. With the Sig you'd have to buy a threaded version.

vaupet
February 19, 2010, 01:59 PM
Had the same dillema,
as for the walter, I have XXXL hands and just could get 1.5 fingers on the grip.
The sig gives the seize, weight and feel of a sig 9mm, including the right controls (decocker and all) so is nice to train with. Mine fires well with cci and rem golden bullet, it even works fine with rem yellow jack hollow points.

You should really try it yourself, they are very different in feel

As for the people who state that it's not the best sig, what do you expect for 40% of the price?

greetz

Peter

NG VI
February 19, 2010, 02:51 PM
Both have feeding problems, both have slides made from inferior metals. Get a Buckmark and pray someone makes a sweet looking traditional style autoloader for a .22LR.

It's called the Kadet, by CZ, and it rocks.

Roccobro
February 20, 2010, 08:19 AM
Glad this was revived so I didn't have to do it. :D

I finally got the pink Mosquito. Good and bad.

Feels great in the hand and the "F" serial numbered guns are the latest generation with minimal issues. Taking it apart, found it all smooth and slide greased from the factory- no obvious burrs and ready to rock! Started with cheap Federal, I had the first round FT chamber round #2. Manually cycled the slide and got #2 in and fired. Slide now felt smoother to cycle. Not a single issue in the next 50 rounds!

Day 2- same ammo, now jams round #2 into the magazine lips nose up. Every magazine full had the same issue. FTE, Stovepipes, and closing on empty chamber were also present in each magazine full of ammo. :bummed: Only difference was outside temp was 55deg vs. 70deg. Hmmm.....

Mini-mags did work better than the fed bulk, but there was not a difference in felt recoil. At 5x the price, I'm trying to avoid the CCI's at all costs. Never needed them for my P22 to work. Sure hope I can train my Mosquito to eat right...

Justin

harleyranger
May 3, 2010, 03:13 PM
first off i am a 22 fanatic , i own all 3 guns and i have found that most problems with 22's is lack of care after the buy lets face it guys most 22's are ammo finiky my walther p-22 has shot nothing but cci stingers since i bought it i tried them / the stinger in my sig and it hated them , i got mis fires but it loves the cci mini mags and since i started putting them in it i've had no malfunctions at all , now the ruger i have is the 2245 model it shoots any thing and every thing loads easier , and is a tac driver right out of the box , it'll cycle the bulk plinky rounds all day , and shoot the nmore expensive hypervelocity rounds too , sure the sig likes the expensive rounds ,, but you kno w what it shoots every time there4s a certain amount of tuning u can do with the sig for instance it like to be clean and oiled regurlary .. i'm sure i'm not telling u any thing u don't know ,, and theres 2 springs for recoil included
if i remember right i used the white one , maybe i'm just lucky but my walther has been flawless but it likes stingers which cost even more ,, of the 3 the ruger is the most versatal i rarly miss with the sig and really its my fav . and the walther is very accurate also the stingers are fast in velocity . one other nice thing about the walther is they profide grip inserts to fit your hand so take what i have saidfor what its worth and go from theret

Bill

osteodoc08
May 3, 2010, 03:38 PM
Wow, 4 year old post going strong....

That being said, I really want a fun 22 to just plink with. I've got my Ruger Mk II Target for "serious" 22 work. May have to cruise the local gun shop for a P22 or Mosquito since I can't seem to find a decent 22 4" barrel revolver for under $300 locally.

Roccobro
May 3, 2010, 06:08 PM
After a single tear down on my Mosquito for trigger work, pull weight is finally "acceptable". Nothing target weight like my Ruger, or plain nice as the P22, but it mimicks a full size duty weapon nicely. Sadly , no clean break still, just lighter pull.

And yes I too lost a spring on tear down and rebuild. And I was careful to not let any launch. Just magically disappeared off my bench. :confused:

But just as HarleyRanger said, each pistol is different and stick to what it likes and hopefully it fits your .22 shooting bill. :)

Justin

CorIAnnda
May 3, 2010, 06:41 PM
Recent info.
Still junk.
Nothing else to see here. Move along.

Bias opinion, or fact? Curious because I am looking around for my first 22 and I have heard this before, but so many people seem to praise it. I don't want to get anything that is junk. Who would?

::yes, quote was posted about a year ago by Atblis, but I am still curious!:D::

lumbergh
May 4, 2010, 01:25 AM
What do I not like about the P22?

Putting it back together after cleaning (which I do after each range session, because that's how I care for all my guns).

Talk about Rube Goldberg.

A special tool just to get it back together is silly.

Yeah it jams from time to time with crappy Federal bulk ammo. Clear and move on. It's not a combat gun, its a cheap, fun range plinker.

YMMV.

Lumbergh

speaksoftly
May 4, 2010, 01:49 AM
What do I not like about the P22?

Putting it back together after cleaning (which I do after each range session, because that's how I care for all my guns).

Talk about Rube Goldberg.

A special tool just to get it back together is silly.

Yeah it jams from time to time with crappy Federal bulk ammo.

OMG that was the most annoying thing ever when I had my P22. It was a fun little gun but wasn't majorly accurate and the reassembly was (insert words that THR won't let me type) beyond all necessity. Still though...fun gun.

I shoot Sigs mostly and would rather train with what I plan on shooting. If you're a Sig shooter then I'd suggest the Sig but if you shoot something else I'd buy close to that or get a conversion kit.

Roccobro
May 4, 2010, 02:24 PM
Lol. I forgot about that tool. I haven't used one on reassembly in years. You can get the guide rod into the hole just by angling the slide nose down on reassembly. But I'm sure some springs are more reluctant than other. :D

Justin

thorazine
May 5, 2010, 02:29 AM
I have both and am quite happy.

No complaints except the mosquito will sometimes not lock back on an empty magazine when dirty (+100 rounds) without a quick wipe down.

I recently picked up the P22 as it came factory threaded to go along with a suppressor I have pending on a form four.

Eventually I might suppress the mosquito if I can get a threaded barrel for it.

atblis
May 5, 2010, 08:11 PM
Bias opinion, or fact? Curious because I am looking around for my first 22 and I have heard this before, but so many people seem to praise it. I don't want to get anything that is junk. Who would?

::yes, quote was posted about a year ago by Atblis, but I am still curious!::
Little of both probably. It is probably 50/50 at best for those who praise it/ bag on it. It does seem like there are a few people who have them, and have received what they consider to be good service from them.

To provide some context for my opinion, it is based on having shot three different P22s, and all of them did not provide what I considered to be acceptable reliability and accuracy. People claim that I am expecting too much from a little plinker 22. The problem I have with this is that every other 22 pistol I have ever shot (well except an RG10), has been superior.

One of the P22s I used to shoot split the slide in half and struck my friend in the face below his eye. He was not wearing safety glasses at the time, but I believe he does now.

A guy I used to shoot with on a weekly basis, went through I think three of them at the last count (maybe four!). The last one he got back from S&W as a replacement was the best in terms of performance up until it cracked the slide. S&W is refusing to service it under warranty at this point, but will sell him a new slide. He isn't bothering to buy a new slide if that tells you anything. He doesn't really care because he bought a Browning Buckmark and does not miss the P22 one bit.

There are other pistols that are much much better.
-Ruger MkII or even MkIII
-CZ kadet. This is the pistol to get if you want a trainer pistol that resembles a full-size pistol. Even though they are technically a conversion kit for the CZ75B, as a 22 pistol itself they are superb. Unfortunately, prices are way up on these. I paid $289 for my Kadet pistol NIB (whole pistol not the kit).
-Browning Buckmark
-Trailside. I have some reservations about these. The magazines are horrible. They also have some durability issues too. They shoot darn well though.

And regarding Zinc. There is absolutely no way of equivocating about the use of Zinc as major component in a pistol. The only reason to use Zinc is if you want to make it as cheap as possible with no regard for performance (especially durability). I can't think of a single quality pistol that uses zinc.

Zinc = junk. No way around that. It's been proven over and over.

CorIAnnda
May 8, 2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I shot the Mosquito again the other day, and it refused to kick out the brass all the way out of the chamber, but I went and talked to this guy and he was telling me that there is a specific brand of 22 ammo that it takes, it's like $10 for a box, so for now I am skipping over it. And I was shooting a MarkIII and it was amazing, I loved it. And the CZ Kadet you spoke of, tried it too, and it is in the collection now. I had the CZ before the Kadet but, it was great to switch it up! I don't think I have ever heard of a Trailslide. I will have to find some threads, I like anything that shoots well, well... okay not completely true, but shooting well is def something that makes me like a gun, ha! :) I am sure that is true of most people. Although, I have seen people buy guns that are crazy old and have a lot of value that they probably won't shoot. So it is a moot issue to them.

I did some reading up about Zinc in a pistol, I understand what you mean. Which just makes it a shame cause the Mosquito felt so nice in my hand :(

As regards to your friend and his eye, I hope he wears safety glasses now! Ouch, but lucky it didn't hit him in the eye. I had a 22 brass kick up in my hoodie, and burned my neck. :( learning the hard way!

SgtCuts
August 31, 2010, 03:48 PM
hey guys sorry to dredge this thread up again but I wanted to give everyone a report on a brand new Mosquito purchased today. I shot approx. 250 rounds through it today with 0 FTE, FTF, FTRTB, or any other kind of malfunction. The DA trigger is def different from what I am used to with Sig but still manageable. Cant wait to try to get my local gunsmith to do a trigger job on this gun.

Thatguy686
September 2, 2010, 01:57 AM
if ur looking for a 22 thats gonna be performance wise like a larger caliber u wont want the ruger it operates different and the p22 is harder to dissassemble than the sig the only thing with the sig is use cci mini mag ammo and ull love it

harmon rabb
September 2, 2010, 06:21 AM
My buddy bought a mosquito. It's very picky about ammo and jams constantly with any ammo it doesn't like. It does feel nice to shoot though.

I bought a ruger 22/45. It doesn't give a flying rat's ass what ammo I put through it. Definitely a better choice than the sig, in my opinion.

Roccobro
September 3, 2010, 01:24 AM
hey guys sorry to dredge this thread up again but I wanted to give everyone a report on a brand new Mosquito purchased today. I shot approx. 250 rounds through it today with 0 FTE, FTF, FTRTB, or any other kind of malfunction. The DA trigger is def different from what I am used to with Sig but still manageable. Cant wait to try to get my local gunsmith to do a trigger job on this gun.

In the interest of full disclosure, what kind of ammo were you running through your Sig?

If you have some mechanical ability, there is tutorials (with great pictures) out there on doing the trigger yourself. I'm happy with my first (mild) attempt. Definitely way better than stock.

Justin

Hanzo581
September 3, 2010, 01:32 AM
I loved my P22, I really have no idea why people complain about the assembly...it is very simple, and I even had the 5" version with the fake compensator on it with those microscopic screws. I am still angry at myself for selling it, I needed money to put towards a different gun....I really miss it.

ulflyer
November 29, 2010, 09:56 AM
Roccobro: any idea where to find info on a trigger job for the Mosquito? If it can be fine tuned I'd like to try as thats the biggest downside to the gun.

I bought a new one yesterday and it came with two recoil springs, one softer, for use with with milder ammo. Manual says the stronger one is in the gun. It handled Feferal bult nicely and accuracy seemed fine, although I've not had time to put much thru it. The two springs interest me as my P22 doesn't like standard or non-high velocity ammo. Time will tell on the Mosq and i'll report when I've done more testing.

Roccobro
November 30, 2010, 01:56 AM
I use only the softer spring and still have trouble with anything less than hyper velocity stuff in the Mosq.

Funny, I just dug the link up for another forum this week as well. Enjoy. :)
Sigforum thread that should be a sticky! (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/54410021)

Justin

Holo
November 30, 2010, 02:52 AM
Another thing to consider about .22s is they like to be soaked in oil. Just keep your bottle of CLP in your range bag and every few mags just put a drop on either side of the slide. keeps it slick and it will eject those lower velocity rounds better.

ulflyer
November 30, 2010, 07:06 AM
Roccobro: outstanding info on the Mosq. Be nice if they'd make a sticky. How about it mods?

edited: whoops, just noticed its on the Sig forum. Roccobro, did your trigger job consist mainly of buffling/polishing?

Roccobro
December 1, 2010, 12:27 AM
Holo- That is NOT true of the P22. It is a zinc slide and alum frame. A DRY lube is needed or the grit from oil and unfired powder wear exponentially faster on the parts. I use Otis dry lube spray.

Ulyflyer- I used a little stoning in the polishing of parts on top of buffing. I think the trigger bar is credited for most of the gritty feeling. So heavy stoning/polish of both sides of that go a long way to improving fee. I don't remember how much I took off the sear contacts. Just remember I squared them up.

Justin

Holo
December 1, 2010, 01:11 AM
@Roccobro - When at the range and it is hanging up, CLP wont hurt it excessively, but that is also why i suggested CLP because it has teflon particles suspended in the oil which work great once it dries. I do not have a p22 (rather a 22a) i still spray on CLP after the post-range cleaning and let it sit on a towel for about an hour to dry to let those teflon particles coat all the metal.

hoodfu
December 1, 2010, 09:10 AM
I had all sorts of issues with my sig mosquito until I switched to hyper velocity ammo (aguila, cci, brand doesn't seem to matter), and I greased (not rem oil) the snot out of it with TW-25. Now it never misfeeds or jams. It went from a gun I wanted to sell, to one I love shooting.

ulflyer
December 1, 2010, 04:43 PM
Just got thru running a couple hundred mixed variety thru the Mosq I bought last Sunday.
Also figured out that it has the soft spring, rather than hard one in it. Tried the hard spring and it handled CCI Mini's well, but not Federal bulk, Fiochi, or X-pert. The soft spring did extremely well with CCi' Mini's, Blazers, Federal Bulk, Fiochi; a number of hangups with Win Xpert, and lots of hangups with Rem Golden. Overall, Blazers seemed more accurate with Fed and Fiochi running a close second.

Since I have a P22 and read that parts for the Mosq are hard to come by, I tried the P22 recoil spring in the Mosq. Weirdly enough it handled the Rem Golden well, but not the Win Xpert. Federals worked fine too. So, If any of you get in a pinch, you can always find a P22 spring.

Roccobro
December 3, 2010, 12:31 PM
@Roccobro - When at the range and it is hanging up, CLP wont hurt it excessively, but that is also why i suggested CLP because it has teflon particles suspended in the oil which work great once it dries. I do not have a p22 (rather a 22a) i still spray on CLP after the post-range cleaning and let it sit on a towel for about an hour to dry to let those teflon particles coat all the metal.
The P22 is "special" in that it uses such soft metals for a working firearm. As long as your not a heavy user any lube would work. Some 'heavy users" have seen failure and heavy wear at 10k rounds when using regular lube like CLP. After factory replacement they got 25k+ rounds through it with minimal wear by using dry lubes. Anything wet attracts and holds the grit that comes from shooting .22's.

Since I have a P22 and read that parts for the Mosq are hard to come by, I tried the P22 recoil spring in the Mosq. Weirdly enough it handled the Rem Golden well, but not the Win Xpert. Federals worked fine too. So, If any of you get in a pinch, you can always find a P22 spring.
Now that is some interesting stuff! I'm going to try swapping spring next trip. Would be cool to get both guns working flawless on the same bulk ammo. Rem Golden Bullets work awesome in my P22 but lack oomph to cycle the Sig with soft spring ( which has less than 500 rounds of HV ammo under it's belt so far).

Justin

revere108
December 5, 2010, 10:57 PM
recently purchased the Mosquito, fired 1500 round this month with CCI Mini Mag ammo (non HV) no FTF or FTE issues what-so-ever....the firearm has been a pleasure to shoot and light on the wallet.

Minnesota Wild
December 6, 2010, 12:38 AM
I've had a Mosquito for about a year now, and it's a pretty mixed bag. It works almost ok if you feed it the ammo it likes (hyper velocity or CCI), but the trigger is awful even after a trigger job, and the accuracy sucks no matter what I've done or fed the gun.

I thought the Sig would be a good gun, and I suppose it's an ok trainer for low-cost, high-volume training. I just have a hard time really enjoying the gun because it's so hard to keep it shooting reliably and to know if shooting errors are the gun or me. I think I'm going to get rid of mine and get a CZ Kadet

the_real_deal
January 15, 2011, 03:54 PM
Never shot a sig, but the p22 was my first handgun. I have never had any problem of any kind. Made in germany, life time warranty. After a hundred rounds I shot less than 3in groups at 25 yards with the 3.4 in barrel.

Wade Wilson
January 15, 2011, 04:30 PM
Buckmark/MKIII

Both sig and p22 are known to have their issues.

CornCod
January 15, 2011, 04:40 PM
I have owned a P22 for a couple years and shot a distant relatives' Mosquito a couple of weeks ago. I also own a bull-barrel Ruger Mk II and used to own a Mk II standard barrel. I think that comparing the Mosquito and P22 to the Ruger pistol is like comparing apples to oranges. The Ruger is a semi-target gun that's built like a tank and weighs like a boat anchor. It shoots all ammo, even the cheapest stuff with aplomb. The gun is just super accurate. The P22 and Mosquito belong in a whole separate category. They are styled like combat caliber handguns and are very light to carry. The P22 and Mosquito are for folks who want something that looks and feels like a combat gun for training. New and out-of-box, both guns are only reliable with hyper-velocity rounds like CCI mini-mags. After awhile they settle down and start to shoot the cheap stuff. The P22 is very tough to reassemble but so is the Mk II. I don't even field strip the Mk-II anymore. I just use the little plastic hose that comes with the WD-40 bottle to blow the fouling out of the internals, wipe off the ramp, put a few patches down the barrel and lubricate well with Rem-oil. I am less than enthusiatic about the imprecise green-dot sights on the Mosquito, but I could get used to them. If you can live with the initial ammo sensitivity of the P-22 and Mosquito and the fact that they are not quasi-target guns, they will serve you well. The gun I would love to try would be the .22 Firestorm which is made by the same company that makes the Bersa's in Argentina. I would love a Beretta 82, but don't have 700 bucks to throw around.

Black Butte
January 15, 2011, 06:04 PM
After 5 years, I think the original poster would have already made his decision. Further posting seems unnecessary.

Kiowa
December 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
That may be (the decision has been made), however I did a search in Google and found this forum. This thread has been very informative as I am currently making the same decision (though, I already have a Mk III hunter with a panoramic sight). I truly appreciate the level of information I've found here. Seems like there is a lot of experience in here to learn from.

In an attempt to stay relevant, I have experience only with the Walther. My brother-on-law bought my sister a P22 a few years back and I've had the opportunity to fire a few magazines worth through it. I thought it was a pretty smooth firing pistol. I haven't "lived" with one, as it were, but in my limited experience I found it to be pretty solid with a good "tactical" feel to it.

Anyway, this thread has given me a lot to consider. Thanks all!

(first time here, first time posting, and realizing that I may be turning myself into a pariah from the get-go for resurrecting what is probably a dead-thread)

David

Pilot
December 27, 2011, 12:22 PM
Bad and Badder.

Shjourdan
January 20, 2012, 11:33 AM
I own a Browning Buckmark. It has a FTF about every other magazine of shooting. Might be the ammo but I have shot several types with the same results. I hear the CCI is the best for my model. I will give it a try and let you know. Other than that it's great.

rellascout
January 20, 2012, 11:44 AM
Suck vs Suckier...... is the correct anwer to this year old thread.

I would not touch either with a ten foot pole using your hands..... LOL

I would take a look at the New Ruger P22 if I was in the market for a 22LR semi auto training gun.

DA/SA, easy to take down with what people report to be a decent trigger. Has a backward slide mounted decocker/safety but on a training pistol plinker it would not be a deal breaker for me.

ulflyer
January 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
Shjourdan: give Blazers a try. They seem to work well where other comparable brands might not, and are cheaper than the premium CCI's.

johnmichael
January 20, 2012, 07:59 PM
I had a sig mosquito and it was an absolute POS----an acronym for crap. It only fed CCI's. Moreover the trigger pull was absolutely awful. Do yourself a favor from one who knows, don't waste your money. If you must have a 22 auto handgun, at least do like I did and get a Buckmark. I couldn't get rid of that mosquito quickly enough and took a loss doing so but I do love that Buckmark. I have two other sigs--a 226 and a 239 and love them but they sure screwed up the 22. I hesitate to call the mosquito a sig because is such crap which is unlike sig.

Shjourdan
January 21, 2012, 12:04 AM
Thanks Ulflyer. I will give them a try. Love the gun, just wish it would feed better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Mosquito vs. Walther p22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!