"AK_47" OF SEMI 9's

PDA

454c
April 14, 2003, 11:21 PM
All right,I've about had it with 9mm's.My first was a Lorcin,Enough said,it IS junk.Then I got a S@W model 5944.It's a jammin' POS also.Is this model known to fail or did murphey's law get me again?I've been shooting PMC ammo.My .45 has never failed me and I would like to find a 9mm that is as reliable as you can get.

If you enjoyed reading about ""AK_47" OF SEMI 9's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LiquidTension
April 14, 2003, 11:31 PM
There is this company called Sig that should be able to help you :D

Neal Bloom
April 14, 2003, 11:37 PM
Lets see:

Browning Hi-Power
SIG P225
Ruger P95

These all have reliable for me. The real sleeper has been the P95. IMHO great gun for the price.

firestar
April 14, 2003, 11:38 PM
If you are talking about reliability, I got to go with the Beretta 92 on this one. With that open slide, the is not much for the cases to get hung up on and it is a rare one that has ever stove piped.

If you are talking about being a sloppy crude gun that you can beat on, maybe a Glock is what you are after. :D

Marko Kloos
April 14, 2003, 11:47 PM
There's only one brand of pistol that has never let me down: SIG Sauer. I've owned many Glocks, and most ran 100%, but I did have a few FTF/FTE issues with a G32. I've owned plenty of Berettas, and most ran 100%, but I did have an FTF with a Beretta 9000S.

I have two CZs that have been 100% so far, but I have less than 1000 rounds through either, so I can't really judge their long-term reliability yet. I also have a brand new HK USPc, but I haven't had a chance to wring it out yet, so the jury will be out on that one for a while.

I've owned three P225s, two P239s, two P226s, one SP2340, and one P232. None of them have ever had any malfunctions of any kind, through thousands of rounds. They just run.

txgolfer45
April 14, 2003, 11:51 PM
Glock 19, Glock 26!!! Both extremely reliable.

Scott

Blueduck
April 14, 2003, 11:53 PM
While I've had good luck with S/W 9mm's I think they share Beretta's and Sigs desire to be cared for just a bit more than an AK 47.

May not be the best but I think the rarely needing lubed, left in the bottom of the ocean, buried in horse doo for a year G-17 has got to be THE AK-47 of the 9mm's :)

PS Letting a Lorcin sour you on the 9mm is like letting the existense of Rosanne Barr make you turn down a date with Britney Spears...

Beorn
April 14, 2003, 11:59 PM
Glock 17

What else is there to say?:)

TreeSquid
April 15, 2003, 12:03 AM
CZ!@#$@
They eat, sleep, and breathe 9mm! Accurate, hellishly reliable, and ergonomics to die for. There's some bitching here and there about their triggers, but I don't have any problem with my P-01's trigger, and most CZ owners don't seem to whine much about theirs either. Can't please everybody, but at the prices CZ charges, you can get pretty close :P

cratz2
April 15, 2003, 01:07 AM
My Beretta never failed though I couldn't get used to the safety. I have a Taurus PT99AF with somewhere around 18,000 rounds with no failures. My first EAA Witness in 9mm never failed. First CZ75 was a 9mm and I don't think it ever failed, at least with me shooting. My Kahr hasn't failed in nearly 200 rounds. (Just got it. :p ) I also had a Springfield Loaded in 9mm that had some issues with one of the mags but after that one was replaced, never failed.

Friend has a G17 that has never jammed and my step-father-in-law has a S&W 659 that he swears has never failed and I don't believe he has ever cleaned it though I have a couple times.

SIGs, Glocks, Berettas are all well known for feeding and extracting very well when chambered in 9mm.

556A2
April 15, 2003, 01:13 AM
Going to have to go with the Glock 17 as the AK of 9s or the Beretta 92.

cool45auto
April 15, 2003, 01:33 AM
Can't go wrong with a Beretta. :)

Destructo6
April 15, 2003, 01:45 AM
SIG P226 9mm. I don't think I'd call it an AK, but the reliability is superb.

CZ 75 BD
April 15, 2003, 01:59 AM
CZ CZ CZ 75 BD can be had new with 10 and 15 round mag, brush, rod, loader, and hard box for about $350. can't beat it:D

Blackhawk
April 15, 2003, 02:47 AM
Lessee.... AK-47: cheap, reliable, never accused of being pretty, simple, and able to take a lot of abuse.

And you want a 9mm semi like that...?

Sounds like you want a Hi Point...! :neener:

Rover
April 15, 2003, 03:14 AM
CZ 75 :)

Glock 19 :)

boing
April 15, 2003, 03:36 AM
Many makes and models are drop-dead reliable, but only one can truly be called "the AK47 of 9mms", and that's the Glock 17.

G26 if you want the Krinkov of 9mms. :)

G19 if you want kinda-sorta in between.

VHinch
April 15, 2003, 05:15 AM
Every Sig and every Beretta I've ever owned have been 100% reliable. Never owned a CZ, but they seem to have the same reputation.

Vance

DontShootMe
April 15, 2003, 05:52 AM
Glock

New_comer
April 15, 2003, 07:31 AM
"AK-47" of semi 9's ... I would like to find a 9mm that is as reliable as you can get.

If AK47 means dirt cheap, rough finish, utilitarian, hi-cap and utterly reliable....

My vote goes to the HP clone FEG PJK-9HP. I know of three of this type that are shot quite often with nary a hiccup. At around $250, that's hard to beat...

Well, except Tropical Z's beloved Hi-point! :p ;) :D

If you're into affordable polymer guns, I'd take the HS2000. It's built quite a significant reputation as being as reliable as a Glock, much cheaper, and I prefer its SA-like trigger over the latter.

But my bestest gun of all bar none is my 9mm HK USP! :D

(I just had to plug that in... ;))

Dorrin79
April 15, 2003, 09:07 AM
The Makarov is the AK-47 of the pistol world. Duh...

Now as for a gun in 9x19, the closest would be a Ruger P-series. Ugly, cheap, and impossible to break.

My kind of gun...

Berg01
April 15, 2003, 09:59 AM
I have a bunch of friends that love the 3rd. gen Smith semiautos; I once took a borrowed 5906 to the range, shooting (admittedly crappy & dirty) GECO 9mm; the thing FTRB'd on me like crazy. The gun obviously needed the talents of a good armorer, but a jammed gun can spook you. I think a lot of the 3rd Gen S&W semiautos are ammo sensitive compared to say Glocks and Sigs, but this is strictly "MHO".

If you are willing to train with it, the S&W 3913 like my friend has is a decent CCW, although I would prefer it with 10+1 cap, a spur hammer, and a spring loaded decocker (only) on the frame. In other words, the same manual of arms as my Sig P228, which shoots anything I care to feed it all day. A lot of it is a matter of just getting used to the difference in the manual of arms; If I wanted to train with the 3913, with the intent of carrying it, I'm sure it would work just fine. But the Sig already works fine for me, so why switch? (i.e., if it ain't broke, don't fix it !)

However, if you want absolute reliability get a S&W Model 60 or 686 wheelgun!

jrpeterman
April 15, 2003, 10:22 AM
Another vote for Glock. Attractive features are easy manual of arms, rugged, and reliable. Like the AK, Glocks aren't much to look at, but then beauty is only skin deep.

Prodigalshooter
April 15, 2003, 11:36 AM
I love my Sig, but it's not an AK, it's nicer and not cheap! My Cz may come closer to what your talking about, inexpensive and just keeps on shooting. I've heard good things about the FEG that new comer mentioned, but havn't handled one. Another good choice is the Witness, a CZ clone that also gets good marks.

RON in PA
April 15, 2003, 12:48 PM
The AK-47 of 9mm pistols is the Ruger P95. Just as reliable, but not AKs are the Glock 17 and SIGs.

care-less
April 15, 2003, 02:35 PM
You get what you pay for (pretty much anyway) Try one of the following: HK, Sig, Beretta, CZ, High Power, I'd also say Glock, but I would wait till they get their frame problem straightened out. Oops, forgot Walther.

Pilot
April 15, 2003, 03:20 PM
As someone else said if 9x18 counts as "9MM", then the Makarov or CZ-83 would be the perfect match. If it has to be a 9x19, then the CZ-75 would be the AK's counterpart, but the CZ's I have seen and own display a much higher level of craftmanship than your typical AK, except for my Hungarian SA85M.

10-Ring
April 15, 2003, 03:33 PM
Ultr reliable & dependable? I'd go w/ either the USP/USPc 9 or the Beretta 92fs

CZF
April 16, 2003, 12:40 AM
Firstly, you would have to define what the AK-47 is.

1. cheap, but not cheaply made. Affordable for most anyone.

2. abundant throughout the world. found in most every nation.
Peoria to the Sudan.

3. 100% reliable with most any load. Few or little parts breakage.

Berettas and Glocks are expensive outside the USA. Even
though most USA depts carry Glocks. Not a lot of Citizens
outside the states can afford them.

The Beretta (locking block)and Glock (springs) will have small parts breakage, but so will other pistols.

I would rate the Beretta as more reliable than the Glock.

As much as i respect both designs,...
My choice is neither, the CZ75 is the AK-47 of the pistol world!

chaim
April 16, 2003, 01:43 AM
Hmmm, AK 47 of 9mm pistols.

Well, there are tons of reliable 9mms (most 9mm pistols out there). Certainly the CZ, Beretta, SIG, HK, etc. fit that.

However, AK 47 of pistols. Inexpensive, pretty rough, rattles, indestructable, pretty simple, combat accuracy but not more, and 100% reliable (even if abused). Only one company comes to mind: Ruger.

The Ruger P89 seems to fit that bill the best. It is inexpensive indestructable, it is pretty simple and breaks down easily, it never fails and it is combat accurate. The one I had was certainly fairly rough (many people describe it as crude or clunky) and it wasn't particularly accurate. The other Rugers, like the P95, are better executed from what I hear (at least they are more accurate) so they may be good but probably wouldn't fit the definition quite as well as the P89.

Sidetracker
April 16, 2003, 09:59 AM
My Springfield XD-9 has been "prefect" for me with over 2000 rds through it.

MoNsTeR
April 16, 2003, 11:48 AM
Definitely Ruger P-series autos. Inexpensive, clunky, ugly, but man do they sure work. CZs, Glocks, and SIGs have far too much elegance to be analogous to an AK.

Stainless Steel
April 16, 2003, 02:42 PM
454c:

Notice a trend here? The same makes keep coming
up.

I personally hate the ten to twelve and sometimes
fourteen pound double action trigger pull of the
double/single action 'wonder' nines. That
eliminates a great deal of the candidates in my
book. Glock triggers are WAY better than anyone's
double action and the XD9's trigger is better than
the Glock. Both guns are bullet proof and 100%
reliable.

For me, the trigger action is everything! The gun
has to be shootable second only to reliability.
Khar's also have a good trigger but expensive.

If a gun doesn't have a good trigger, then it is
useless to me. AK's are NOT double action!

Stainless.

http://home.mindspring.com/~colt45acp/nra1.gif

Dr.Rob
April 17, 2003, 06:01 AM
BHP

FEG if you like it cheaper, FN if you don't, Inglis if you want it Commonwealth, Mauser if you want it Deutch. Made from Israel to Argentina and beyond. Battle proven for 68 years.

Ramshackle
April 17, 2003, 09:07 AM
Ruger P95--rugged (indestructable), cheap, ugly, and with gritty triggers. Like the AK they get the job done.

NevadaPistolero
April 18, 2003, 12:02 AM
Springfield Armorys new 9mm Xd is very reliable. I read a report on one of the forums (cant remember which one,stephan camp I think) the guy has over 6,000 rounds thru his and no problems with it at all. No failures at all. I have one in 357sig that just kicks a**. Alot of goverment agencies and police across the nation are going with the 357sig....no survivors.
My next will be the XD in 40cal. My nephew a policeman in Colorado shot a BG 9 times with a 9mm all center mass shots from 12 feet and closer before the guy dropped. A county sherriff told me the other day a guy took 38 rounds of 9mm before he dropped (in florida). I'll never own another 9mm, so what if the ammo is cheap, my life is worth more than that.

George Hill
April 18, 2003, 12:24 AM
XD

mephisto
April 18, 2003, 01:07 AM
p-89 ruger. cant stop it. not the best looking gun but it shoots any thing you put in it. its like a good dog, never gives you any problems. wish i would have kept it.:confused:

mephisto:evil:

USGuns
April 18, 2003, 01:10 AM
If you want affordability AND reliability, you can't go wrong with an American-made Ruger P95.

modifiedbrowning
April 18, 2003, 01:13 AM
Walther P99. Sigs are great also.

plateshooter
April 18, 2003, 08:28 AM
AK, inexpensive, reliable, cheap hi cap mags.
Ruger P95, inexpensive, reliable, cheap hi cap mags.

DonGlock26
April 19, 2003, 12:12 PM
Glock= AK of 9mm's Sig= AR-15 of 9mm's

HankB
April 19, 2003, 01:15 PM
I recommend the BHP. It's my usual carry gun and the one I usually shoot in IDPA matches - it's proven to be EXTREMELY reliable, even with cheap Pro-Mag hicaps. (I fired around 1200 rounds over two days in a pistol class using four Pro-Mags exclusively, with exactly zero malfunctions of any sort.)

The Glock 17 is nice, but I found that with standard ammo it's prone to jam unless held firmly. (When one of the ladies in my life shoots it, reliability is "iffy.") Using +P or +P+ ammo helps a great deal with "limp wrist syndrome."

My G26 has yet to jam - ever.

From my observations of others - mostly at matches - SIGs are good, as are CZ's. P7's and other modern H&K's appear to work well. I haven't seen many Rugers, but those I've seen have generally appeared to function OK, but the few Walthers I've seen were troublesome. S&W 9mm autos seem inconsistent - some work very well, but a high percentage appear to be "jammamatics."

Kahr's steel-frame guns seem to work well, but the polymer-framed P9 I had (note the past tense) exhibited a great many problems. Kahr replaced it, but I immediately traded the new replacement for the aformentioned G26 and haven't looked back.

JPoe
April 19, 2003, 01:56 PM
Another very happy Springfield XD-9 owner here. It's still fairly new, but has been absolutely flawless from right out of the box through 450 rounds fired so far. Not one FT-anything yet - and based on numerous reports here and on www.hs2000talk.com I don't expect any. Relatively inexpensive, dead reliable, excellent ergonomics, very accurate, and a lifetime warranty backed by Springfield's excellent customer service. What's not to like?

Longbow
April 19, 2003, 02:57 PM
Ruger's or Makarov's fits the comparison. But the Glock 17 is the FN FNC of pistols and the 1911's is the AR15/M16 of pistols!:D :D

JeepDriver
April 19, 2003, 08:56 PM
Sig! :D :)

My Ruger P95 is a 100% reliable weapon as well.

Just picked up a 92 FS today after 500 rounds it's a 100% weapon as well.

I've had Glocks in the past they have been good reliable weapons, but they suck to shoot! IMO!

goon
April 19, 2003, 09:34 PM
Once upon a time, there was this company called CZ...
I think you should check them out.
Also, I can personally vouch for the Springfield 1911 in 9mm, SIG P-225, and the Browning HP as well as the FEG knock-off.
My brother got an FEG for about $230. I have to say that it is absolutely great, especially for that price. It works just like a BHP, and takes BHP mags, but costs about half as much.
But, I would still get a CZ-75BD. I got mine for $319+tax, and I have to say that it is a very sweet pistol.
In short, I think that your problem with the 9mm has to do with your choices. Think outside the box.

Bobarino
April 20, 2003, 12:29 AM
one more vote for the H&K USP or USP-C, even though that doesn't really meet the criteria you gave. its not as common or affordable as the AK47 of 9mm's might be. for that i'd go for a used Glock 19 or 17. but i'd still take the USP over any of them if you're willing to spend a little extra..... just an opinion.

Bobby

mephisto
April 21, 2003, 06:59 PM
I really like the cz-75. Its just a really nice gun, easy to use and nice looking too.

If you enjoyed reading about ""AK_47" OF SEMI 9's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!