So totally bizarre!

PDA

MeekandMild
April 14, 2003, 11:15 PM
This week I happened upon a copy of an old "mens magazine" which appears to have been written by the same folks who write "17" and other teen girl magazines. The only difference I can tell is the captions on the pics of scantily clad models.

So I looked it up and it happens the article I read is online. (http://www.maximonline.com/sports/articles/article_2045.html) I'm not certain if the writer is a useful idiot or merely a moron who thinks he's funny so wanted to ask for help in "shrinking" him in absentia.

Here is a sample quote:
First we’ll settle this thorny issue of combining alcohol and firearms. This great country was founded by a bunch of drunken, filthy backwoodsmen who fired their weapons at random until every living thing in their path was dead or maimed. In their wake came interstates, convenience stores, and Star-bucks to help future generations of drunken, filthy hunters kill whatever might have survived the last 300 years of carnage. It is your God-given right as an American to get trashed and discharge your firearm.

If you enjoyed reading about "So totally bizarre!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spacemanspiff
April 14, 2003, 11:26 PM
maxim magazine has always taken the PC path when it comes to firearms. their sister magazine, 'stuff' also reeks of anti-propaganda. you know how those magazines all have a 'fashion' section? with shirts that cost more than the kimber i just bought and suits with price tags high enough to supply me and ten other shooters a years supply of ammo? well one month they did a hunting theme and these idiots had the models pointing shotguns at heads, fingers on triggers, carrying in wrong positions, the works...i almost sent them a letter about it, but its not worth the effort.
i canceled my subscription to maxim and started reading Stun. it has 1/10th the ads and is more entertaining. more words too, not just a bunch of pretty pictures.

they interviewed leslie bega, who made a brief appearance in the sopranos as ralphs girlfriend, and in every interview i have read of leslie bega, she always mentions that she likes target shooting, and she enters competitions. but the editors make it sound like she really doesnt know what shes talking about. pretty sad.

pbman
April 15, 2003, 12:41 AM
There a lot more pro gun than they used to be.

I've noticed a change.

Most americans like guns so their british crap cuts into the profits over here.

Tim Currie
April 15, 2003, 12:59 AM
My roomate gets all of his knowledge from Maxim! :D

Tamara
April 15, 2003, 01:03 AM
You know you're on the other side of the cultural divide when your first thought on reading that sample quote above is...

..."Yeah, so?" ;)

CZ 75 BD
April 15, 2003, 01:06 AM
What a pitiful attempt at humor. They must really be grasping to fill copy. From what I've seen, the mag appeals to and is aimed at 13 yo males.:rolleyes:

boing
April 15, 2003, 01:54 AM
Maxim?:

http://www.abcog.org/gifs/maxim.jpg

:)

jmbg29
April 15, 2003, 02:15 AM
Chauchat Magazine never worked out.:D :p http://www.ku.edu/~kansite/ww_one/photos/bin08/imag0783.jpg

Marko Kloos
April 15, 2003, 06:46 AM
Chauchat Magazine never worked out.

:D

Carlos Cabeza
April 15, 2003, 12:12 PM
I used to subscribe to maxim, then I grew up...................

Mute
April 15, 2003, 12:19 PM
There are articles in Maxim magazine?

Azrael256
April 15, 2003, 02:48 PM
I flipped through a Maxim one time... I tossed it back on the rack and picked up the Playboy I was looking for... the articles are MUCH better :)

Standing Wolf
April 15, 2003, 02:56 PM
Leftists are moral and intellectual parasites—and shameless ignoramuses as far as history is concerned.

MeekandMild
April 15, 2003, 07:14 PM
You know you're on the other side of the cultural divide when your first thought on reading that sample quote above is......"Yeah, so?" Well what if they'd stereotyped pioneer women being drunken toothless pipe smoking wenches? :rolleyes:

blades67
April 15, 2003, 08:16 PM
Well what if they'd stereotyped pioneer women being drunken toothless pipe smoking wenches?

You say that like it's a bad thing.:D

Don Gwinn
April 15, 2003, 08:57 PM
Guys. . . . you realize they're joking? It's Maxim. They don't write serious articles. They don't write serious interviews. They don't cover news.

They show women in their underwear, write sarcastic stuff, and put silly captions on pictures. That's all.

Tamara
April 15, 2003, 09:55 PM
I think you completely and totally missed my point. :rolleyes:

What sounds like a damning paragraph to the Maxim writer simply sounds like a fun weekend to me... I am completely in favor of booze, interstates, Starbucks, convenience stores, killing stuff, and guns.

MeekandMild
April 15, 2003, 10:39 PM
Tam, many thoughts here:

I like gunnies. So concrete.

Remember what RAH had one of his characters do in "If This Goes On"? He told the other one he was the legitimate son of a legally married woman in such a way as to deliberately outrage and provoke him. My take is maybe they are making fun of us and doing it in such a way as to deliberately outrage and provoke some concrete gunny somewhere into saying something moronic and "typical".

WE can and do make fun of ourselves and enjoy our sports which includes at separate times and places guns+hunting and storytelling+drinking. But THEY don't have the right. They are laughing AT us and not WITH us.

Then again, they are dehumanizing us with their humor. I will leave this as an unsubstantiated assertion. Or maybe not, depending upon whether you can think about humor which makes the person laughing love the one laughed at versus humor which demeans.
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/B/htmlB/beverlyhillb/beverlyhillbIMAGE/beverlyhillb.jpg

Recall the famous Episode 230 when this TV show turned stopped being funny and recall why?

answerguy
April 16, 2003, 07:57 AM
...a philosophical discusion about the Beverly Hillbillies?

spankaveli
April 16, 2003, 08:18 AM
Recall the famous Episode 230 when this TV show turned stopped being funny and recall why?

what happened? (that was before my time :D)

MeekandMild
April 16, 2003, 01:19 PM
Episode 230 was the famous "Jed Buys Central Park" episode where Phil Silvers was introduced as Shifty Sheaffer the con man. Before this episode the main characters were portrayed as 3 dimensional people with their ideosyncracities and their naivete but afterward the writing trended to play them as idiots and bumpkins. Before we laughed with them and after we laughed at them.

Back on topic, hunters and gunnies in genral are not idiots.

If you enjoyed reading about "So totally bizarre!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!