What is the oddest thing you have seen happen at the range?

PDA

PATH
January 3, 2003, 07:23 AM
I have seen a few odd things. One inparticular comes to mind. My friends and I are shooting and just off to our right some old fella walks out to the 25 yard marker and starts setting up targets. I start screaming cease fire! Cease fire! The old timer who looks like father time is there with his son. We tell the son that walking out to place targets while others are shooting is not a healthy endeavor and we are quite unnerved by it. My friends are using unnecessarilyrudelanguage at this point.

We now have pur hearing protection off because there is a cease fire! Father time, without saying a word lets go with a 30-06. We are inside a building that has garage doors that open up onto the range. Now we are like stunned fish and you know what happens with that wah-wah noise and the accompanying ringing sound.

Now my friends are demanding blood and retribution. The son, who also has no gearing protection on starts screaming at the father. The old man gets very indignant and says "what's the problem?:banghead: I start to laugh like a crazy man!

At this point we packed up and left as the situation haad reached a boiling point for us. What a rectally inverted cranium this old fella was. It is a wonder that with idiots like this more people are not hurt on ranges every year!

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the oddest thing you have seen happen at the range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
January 3, 2003, 07:30 AM
About to pull trigger on rising teal...John Deere comes puttering into view out of range. Unload, clear gun...where is driver? Seems as member mowing ran over a hornets nest, jumped off and hauled butt to the pond...yep there he is...a drowned rat avoiding getting stung. Didn't know the old fart could run that fast:D

PATH
January 3, 2003, 07:45 AM
Yhats a good one!:D

sm
January 3, 2003, 07:49 AM
You try keeping your head on the stock after that! Typical me I nail the Teal...durn wabbit on this double...hop-hop-hop

stans
January 3, 2003, 09:47 AM
Some things I have seen at the range:

Like Path, I once watched a man walk down range to hang targets while the line was definitely hot.

While the line was cold, we had one person not only load his magazines, he also inserted the magazine into his pistol and proceeded to chamber a round while other members were hanging targets. The range owner got involved with that one and that individual was never seen on the range again.

I have seen a lot of accidental discharges during IPSC matches.

I have seen a lot of unsafe gun handling during matches.

I even had to give a match DQ to one of my friends when I was a range officer. That was a tough day, but we all knew that I made the right call and he has not been DQ'ed since.

Preacherman
January 3, 2003, 11:43 AM
Potentially tragic, but in the event not so, and still funny...

I was at a shooting range where a young punk came in with his girlfriend and a bunch of hangers-on. He'd apparently just bought his first .44 Magnum (a 6" S&W Model 29), but didn't have enough money to buy decent factory ammo. However, a friend of his had reloading equipment and dies for the .44 Special, so he picked up .44 Magnum brass at the range (from the discoloration, pretty old stuff...), took it to his friends house, and - without any instruction, experience or supervision - loaded up 100 rounds of .44 Magnum ammunition, using the powder & bullets his friend used for .44 Special. I don't know if he even re-sized the cases...

Anyway, the big moment comes - first shot with his new .44! He lines up on target, cocks the hammer, wavers a bit (sucks cheeks, bites lip, squints down barrel - not using sights, as far as I can tell, as his line-of-eyesight is about 6" above the barrel! - and touches one off. There's a thunderous blast, smoke and dust (including brick chips), and everyone on the line hits the dirt! When the smoke and dust cleared, we found that he'd blown the cylinder completely off the gun in two separate halves. Each had traveled sideways at sufficient velocity to dig two holes, each about 2" deep, in the five-foot brick walls separating his shooting position from those on either side - thank Heaven the range had those walls put up! The top strap was bulged upward a bit like the St. Louis Arch, and the barrel was hanging down from the frame at about 45 degrees. His hand was bleeding from superficial cuts and scrapes, and was badly scorched from flash-burns, and bruised, but miraculously no major damage had been done.

I don't know what charge he had in that thing, but I can only suspect at least a double weight of the .44 Special powder charge that his friend's powder measure was set for. Since the powder was Bullseye, which is a very high-speed, rapid-pressure-peak powder, that would certainly be enough to do the damage. Anyway, after we got our breath back, the rest of us had a good laugh as he left the range with the remains of his pride and joy, accompanied by jeering remarks from his "friends". Before leaving, he threw in the trash the other 99 rounds he'd reloaded. I recovered them and "deep-sixed" them to prevent any other innocent shooter from thinking that he'd just found a bonanza... :D

fatboyclone
January 3, 2003, 12:14 PM
i was at the local range and there were some obvious newbies playin with a sig 239 that they had rented. well the one that was on the line was tinkerin with the take-down lever, he left it in the down position. as this joker raises the pistol onto his target, i nudged my buddy to watch, he pulls the trigger and to his amazement the entire slide goes down range :what:. the look on the faces of those kids was priceless. we got outta there shortly after that, but i can only imagine how they explained what happened when they returned the frame w/o the slide.

Redlg155
January 3, 2003, 12:15 PM
Not really odd, but kinda dangerous event that happened at a miniature "arial gunnery" range at Ft Stewart Ga.

Now these guys have a great job. Somehow my recruiter failed to mention there was such a job in the U.S. Army...gee..I wonder why?:rolleyes: Anyway, these guys fly styrofoam airplanes around all day while we try to shoot them down with M16s and M60s. Talk about a great job!

Well, we are sitting there shooting at the planes, everyone lined up almost shoulder to shoulder when the plane makes a fast run from left to right. Everyone is firing fully auto (M16A1s) when a stream of hot brass goes down a soldiers BDU top and Tshirt. The soldier totally freaks and while keeping his finger on the trigger jumps back and starts hosing the dirt at the feet of the guy next to him. Luckily he only had five rounds left in his magazine.:eek: Whether or not this was because he was pissed at the brass or an uncontrolled undisciplined reaction is anyones guess, but it was enough to oull the guy off the line.

The rest of the day pretty much went off uneventful and we shot down the "zero".

Good Shooting
Red

2nd Amendment
January 3, 2003, 12:20 PM
I've seen some funny things but the one I recall as most, umm, odd, was as a little boy sitting on a bench watching everyone. This one fellow walked in with a wheel gun I have no idea the make or caliber of and set up. First shot he touches off and the front of the gun vanishes. No big flash, no pieces, just gone. The barrel and the front of the frame simply ripped off and went flying 20 yds or so down range.

He stood there for a minute, shook his head, looked at the remains of the gun in his hand and then walked down, picked up the other half and left. Nobody said a word, including him.

TallPine
January 3, 2003, 12:34 PM
First shot he touches off and the front of the gun vanishes.

I wonder if it was a black powder cap and ball revolver with the wedge left out ..... ?

That would sure do it.

Yohan
January 3, 2003, 12:41 PM
Sounds like he pulled a Houdini :D

J Miller
January 3, 2003, 12:50 PM
The funniest thing I ever saw at a gun range was the Kamakazi rabbit.
This happened one busy day at the Black Canyon gun range North of Phoenix AZ.
A rabbit hopped onto the range at about 75-80 yards. The line went silent for a couple seconds as the rabbit proceeded on to the range. After the couple of seconds of silence the entire group of shooters on the range, handguns and rifles both opened up at the rabbit. The rabbit continued to hop across the range oblivious of the ground erupting with bullet impacts all around him. He made it all the way across the 20 some lanes of shooters and off the other side unscathed.
I never got a shot off because I was laughing so hard.

2nd Amendment
January 3, 2003, 12:57 PM
I assume everyone went home in shame? Either for shooting at the poor thing or missing, whichever. :D

Okiecruffler
January 3, 2003, 12:58 PM
One of the funniest things I've ever seen happened to this guy named...ah, mokiekrussler. He was shooting his new Ishapore and doing fairly well, so he had the attention of several other shooters. He's watching the target very intently, trying for a really good 10shot group, and perhaps not paying enough attention to what the gun is doing. As he pulled the trigger on the 6th round, the end metal bit with the front sight ears, bayonnet lug and such, goes flying about 20yrds down range, still attached to about 3 inches of stock. At first there was only silence, then the loudest explosion of laughter from every side. Poor Mokie had to go retrieve the escaping part of his rifle and slink back into his truck.:o Man, glad that didn't happen to me.

treeprof
January 3, 2003, 01:02 PM
1. The guy who shot the ceiling while hanging his target on the carrier (2 hands) with a loaded gun and his finger on the trigger.

2. The middle-aged fella who shoots with one gun in each hand, alternating shots downrange.

3. The guy who meticulously puts 25 rds into a nice little group at 10 yds once or twice a week, then reholsters his CCW and leaves. Never varies the distance, never varies the pace, never shoots weak or strong hand only, never draws and shoots. Likes to make disparaging comments abt other people's shooting.

4. The guy with the Desert Eagle .50 AE who from 7 yds, with an Aimpoint or some such sight, was flinching so badly he was completely missing the silhouette target abt 4 out of 5 shots.

AZTOY
January 3, 2003, 01:13 PM
At the Tucson Rifle Club there is a picture of a .44 mag that came apart.

DO NOT DRINK AND USE RELOADING EQUIMENT :what:

Mike Irwin
January 3, 2003, 01:17 PM
A woman, obviously need to firearms, out with a friend/boyfriend/whatever.

She looked terrified of the gun.

To the guy's credit, he spent a lot of time explaining things to her, etc.

I was shooting a few points down.

Well, it finally gets to the point where she's going to fire her first shot with his revolver.

She lines up the sights, pulls the trigger, it goes BANG! (but not very loudly, I think he was using reduced loads or something), but she still utters a scream, drops the gun, and jumps back about 15 feet with a wild look of terror on her face.

At that point I jammed everything into my range bag and got the hell out of dodge as quickly as I could.

Mastrogiacomo
January 3, 2003, 01:25 PM
Shooting at a rabbit? :what: I don't know what's more unkind, the fact that you fired at the poor animal or that you waited for it to get in full view before letting it rip....:uhoh:

bogie
January 3, 2003, 01:28 PM
A while back, I saw a model 29 (or maybe it was one of the big Rugers), that some new handloader had destroyed. He was gonna use Winchester powder to load with. He assumed that 296 was the same as 700x, and basically massively overcharged the thing. Top and sides of the cylinder were gone, top strap was bulged (or maybe broken... don't remember).

vulcan
January 3, 2003, 01:35 PM
Recently, A middle aged guy in a hurry to pick up once fired brass off the ground from a bunch of guys firing off a case that he walked(head down) into a steel column.:D THUNK!

I still have a lump on my head:o

Going home with nearly a case of once fired brass took some of the sting out tho:p

ahenry
January 3, 2003, 01:41 PM
Recently, A middle aged guy in a hurry to pick up once fired brass off the ground from a bunch of guys firing off a case that he walked(head down) into a steel column. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA That is hilarious!

:D

Larry Ashcraft
January 3, 2003, 01:52 PM
At a Colorado State Silhouette match about 20 years ago in Walsenburg, two guys from Denver were going to shoot revolver class. The first one fired his first shot while his buddy spotted. His Super Blackhawk locked up on the first shot, so he borrowed his buddy's SBH and locked it up on the first shot. He said "these loads were fine in February" (this was in September).

He got DQed for unsafe loads.

thumbtack
January 3, 2003, 02:01 PM
I saw a guy shoot himself in the hand while everyone was gathered around a table during a cease fire. He was lucky no one else was hit.

Gewehr98
January 3, 2003, 02:04 PM
This is pretty common, it happened to me when I was downrange replacing a target when a person loads up and chambers a round to resume shooting. I'm not gonna describe the person or their problem that day, because it could have been anybody who just had a case of cerebral flatulence. The range officer managed to stop him before he fired off the round, and he was extremely embarrased when he realized what he had almost done. As this was unfolding, myself and one other shooter were walking back from our targets at the 200 meter berm, when he mentioned something about the range officer running to one of the end rifle positions. I looked, and sure as hell, there was our fella in shooting position ready to fire. We both immediately dove for the backside of the 150 meter berm, making ourselves as short as we could enroute!

Again, this is one I'll bet a LOT of folks have seen. The buzzer sounds for the ceasefire, the RO starts to walk the line to check the unloaded, cleared, grounded, and safe status of each weapon, and BEFORE he's done, some shooter or shooters on the far end of the line automatically start walking downrange to their targets. Usually we just yell "HEY!", and they figure out what they forgot to wait for. Meanwhile, that muzzleloader guy on the other end already had a cap on and a charge with ball loaded when the buzzer sounded, and they usually get extra time to discharge that round before the all clear is sounded.

The now-defunct Branden's in Sacramento attracted it's share of folks whose sole purpose in life was to see how many safety rules they could break. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you looked at it, the range officer, as well as retail store patrons, were protected from the range by a thick polycarbonate window. Those of us who showed up to shoot at the same time as the less safety-conscious often took our lives in our own hands. The bullet holes in the shooting stall dividers should've been our first clue. I distinctly remember one "gentleman", who had a new Bennelli M3 black shotgun, and was using slugs on a silhouette target. He was so proud of the effects, he physically walked down the firing line to his buddy, with the muzzle raking each shooter in each stall as he made his way to the stall of his pal. Then he proceeded to dump a few slugs into his buddy's target from the still-loaded shotgun. Think the range officer out there on the counter saw that? Nope, and we even asked her. Needless to say, we packed up at that very instant and left.

One Sunday, when I was range officer at our local 100 yard range, a person arrived with his new MAK-90 and several boxes of Wolf 7.62x39. After getting him safely set up with a bench and target at 50 yards, I proceeded to call the range hot. I was leery and had no desire to walk away from his position, but I had to walk up and down the entire firing line, keeping folks safe.

My first clue was on my return trip down the line towards his position, he had set up his shooting chair at the very rear of his bench, with the sandbags at the back edge, resting the barrel on them and firing. This meant that his muzzle was way behind the heads of his fellow shooters on adjacent benches. A firm but polite discussion with him corrected this problem, his muzzle was now properly forward of the muzzle line, and his fellow shooters resumed their firing. All was good, or so I thought.

Not more than about fifteen minutes later, as I was walking the line again, I heard a triple-tap, followed by a faster burst of fire. I turned and ran down the line, to see folks either running back towards their cars or making themselves real small. Our hero was firing his MAK-90 from the hip as he was walking backwards from the firing line towards the benches at the back of the covered range house, kicking up dirt clods and sending rounds over the 100 yard berm, big grin on his face. My first thought was whether I could get my Kahr K9 out of my hip-side Mexican carry fast enough to be of use against a grinning AK lead-hoser. My second thought came automatically as I screamed "CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE, DAMNIT!" at the top of my lungs.

God must've smiled at me then, because he actually heard me and did cease fire, nobody got ventilated that day.

He did catch the subtle clue, and shortly packed up his smoking AK and remaining ammo, enroute to his car and whatever part of Cape Canaveral, Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, Titusville, Melbourne, Satellite Beach, or Rockledge he came from.

Kicked a guy off the Lincoln, CA range one morning for shooting at a wild turkey at the 100 yard line, immediately after I called a cease fire, with his .45 Long Colt SAA clone. I told him if he had killed it, he would've had to stay there as long as it took for him to eat the entire thing, or for him to meet the fish & game officer I would've called, whichever came first.

Another cease fire happened when a white Ford Ranger pickup traversed right-to-left in front of the 300 meter berm at Lincoln. People were shooting at targets as their scope's field of view filled up with pickup truck and people. There's a gravel quarry to the left of, and behind, the berm that's in operation during business hours on weekdays. Evenings and weekends, that dirt access road it gated closed to prevent people traversing the range.

Some non-English speaking migrant farm workers got word that there was good fishing in the gravel quarry, so they broke the lock on the gate, and drove across the live range enroute to the fishin' hole. :uhoh:

Topgun
January 3, 2003, 02:05 PM
Company FU....name of "Silva" never did ANYTHING right. He outdid himself at the firing range though.

He managed to put a live round THROUGH the glass of the range observer tower. With a range officer in it.

In the previous weeks of all sorts of hell and crap, one thing that NEVER occurred was SILENCE.

Well, silence ruled the range right then. DI's were at a loss as to what to do.....for about 20 seconds. Then realization of what actually happened began to sink in. RO came screaming out of tower. All us on the line put down guns and started looking at each other and Silva. Silva was clueless as usual.

Then Silva was bodily picked up and thrown into a car and taken away. Probably to save his life. The NCO's had blood in their eyes and some 2nd Lt. decided then an there to avert about 8-10 courts martial. Took him away.

Very subdued range session after that.

How in hell Silva managed to turn around, with a locked load, and pull the trigger while it was pointed exactly at the range tower only Silva could answer.

He remained in the company and was later thrown down a canyon by our "Guerilla Warfare" class instructor. He fell asleep during the class.

Silva is probably a CEO today of some multi national corporation.

January 3, 2003, 02:06 PM
I was once shooting at an indoor range when a guy showed up with all kinds of simi auto copies of .45 ACP SMGs. He set up a chrongraph and began shooting them. Not long after that he shoots the chronograph. I bit my tongue to keep from laughing. He then went back to the store section of the range and asked to use their chronograph. He had to leave a credit card to use it. First shot, he blew up their chronograph.

Redlg155 , I was on a range very similar to that. They were having trouble getting the next plane in the air (I believe they called them Mercats or something like that). So while we are waiting, I am manning a loaded M60 when my squad leader yells "target moving from left to right". I look up and there is a flock of seagulls flying across the range. I picked one out and opened fire. It took me almost a full belt but I finally splashed him. As I understand it, when the first sergent found out about it, he was highly pissed, but the wrath never made it down the chain of command to the bottom (me).

Traveler
January 3, 2003, 02:18 PM
In the old days it was possible to shoot in designated areas of the local forest. This was unsupervised and incedents (and pollution from shooters) finally closed this down. But among the memories there are a couple that just stand out.

Like the Ford Pinto with (at least) a dozen young men of hispanic origin inside. They pulled up, spilled out of every possible opening carrying guns, and commenced to shoot at everything. Than after a couple minutes, when the rest of us were just starting to come out from cover, jumped back in the car and drove off. It was totally Keystone Kops from start to finish. To this day I don't know how thay all fit in that car.

On the other side of the spectrum you have the carefull, prepared shooter. Who comes completely equipt to spend a day with his favorite rifle. Who sets up the bench, measures the correct distance and sets his targets, places his cooler just so, rigs his shade, and left his ammo on the reloading bench 80 miles away. The man could have taught vocabulary to drill sergants.

Harold Mayo
January 3, 2003, 02:20 PM
Same thing, in a way, as J Miller...

At one range that I have occasion to use (it's at a school), the guy who owns/runs it doesn't let anyone shoot the wild rabbits that live around there. They are totally oblivious to gunfire and will move around and even stop on the range, at times.

If it were MY range, the cute little wabbits would never have gotten conditioned like that...:evil:

KP95DAO
January 3, 2003, 03:28 PM
"He managed to put a live round THROUGH the glass of the range observer tower. With a range officer in it."

Maybe that's why, 29 years ago, our Fort Ord DIs told us that if we were to do anything stupid with our loaded M-16s that the Range Officer in the tower would shoot our ass. Nobody did anything stupid.

J Miller
January 3, 2003, 03:48 PM
Mastrogiacomo,

I never said I shot at the rabbit.............................................

I never got a shot off because I was laughing so hard.

If I had it wouldn't have got across the range.:evil:

eoR
January 3, 2003, 04:02 PM
The rabbit continued to hop across the range oblivious of the ground erupting with bullet impacts all around him. He made it all the way across the 20 some lanes of shooters and off the other side unscathed.
J Miller,
Maybe you should have suggested that they use their spears and magic helmets next time when trying to kill the wabbit :D

J Miller
January 3, 2003, 04:10 PM
eoR,

What surprised me was that the rangemasters were in their booth watching all this. They were laughing as hard as I was.

There was one other time when an animal disrupted shooting at that range. An eagle of some sort landed on a tree limb downrange from the 100 yard line. Right in plain sight of all the shooters.
The rangemasters called a cease fire, told everyone to check out the bird in their "spotting scopes" and began a lesson on birds of prey.
They only reopened the range for shooting when the bird flew away.
I thought that was pretty neat.

January 3, 2003, 04:16 PM
Ok, another one. We were in basic training at Ft. Bliss during the very first day of firing our weapons. We were zeroing. One guy who we called Barney Fife, could not get his rifle to hold a group at 25 yards from a foxhole with sandbags. The range NCOs were trying to figure out what was wrong. They gave him another mag loaded with five rounds, gave all the range commands including holding up those stop sign looking things and had him fire another group. For those of you that have never been on an Army range there are two NCOs that supervise the range; one on the left side and one on the right side. They have a thing that looks like a stop sign on a stick that they carry. When the tower says ready on the right ?, the NCO holds up his sign with either a green or red side to signify that the right side is ready or not. Anyway, Barney fired with the Drill Sergents and the range NCOs standing right behind him. They quicly found out why Barney couldn't zero, he was on full auto. The range NCO clubbed Barney in the head with that sign and Barney was knocked flat.

Master Blaster
January 3, 2003, 04:21 PM
Target Master In Pa on US 202.

Before I joined a private club I used to shoot there every week.

Usually I went out on a week night when the place was almost empty. One Saturday I decided to go knowing that the place would be rockin, very busy.

I was shooting for about 45 minutes when in walks a middle aged gent accompanied by the range officer. He's carrying a case of .45 acp ammo, and I think, an MP5. You could rent several full auto guns for $20 per hour there. They set up in the lane next to me.

I hear the instructor say: " now it may climb on you so if it does let go of the trigger, but keep the muzzle pointed at the target."

BRRRRRRRRRRRAPAPAPAPAPAPAA, clong whiz zing clang.

Range officer yelling keep the muzzle down cease fire CEASE FIRE.

I heard a .45 bullet whiz by my head, the dork had fired the gun on full auto and shot up the floor, target , target carrier, and the ceiling before he ran out of ammo. He pannicked.

I packed up my bag and left, that was 3 years ago, I have not fired a shot on their range since.

They do have a nice selection of firearms and good prices though.

A few months ago at ommenlanden there was a mishap involving some federal officers, who missed the target with an m-16 and hit the reinforcing rod target stand, he was wounded by the riccochet, this was at 25 yards.:scrutiny:

Cosmoline
January 3, 2003, 05:24 PM
Oddest thing I've seen was a moose cow with a young calf walk calmly into a hot rifle range. Most of those at the range were preparing for moose season, of course. We all stopped shooting and moved away, of course, but the cow lingered for a while and eyed us nervously.

I remember deer crossing the range at scout camp when I was younger.

Russ
January 3, 2003, 05:45 PM
13 year olds shooting their 30.30 Marlin carbines at tehe pistol range.Outdoors of course but it's a little close. Their dad's were right there helping them. I would have felt embarrassed if my Dad was teaching me to shoot a rifle at a pistol range.

bogie
January 3, 2003, 05:53 PM
Nyah - rapid reinforcement of "where the bullets hit" is good - First few rounds of instruction with newbies, even with stuff like 10/22s, is something I always do at the 7 yard range... Then move 'em to the real one...

Sean Smith
January 3, 2003, 05:57 PM
Well, I once saw a guy shoot a Beretta .25 pocket pistol off sandbags at a 3 yard target and MISS. Turned to the poor lady he dragged to the range with him and said, in all seriousness, "that's how you do it, hon."

:scrutiny:

Spackler
January 3, 2003, 06:04 PM
A saw a dwarf (little person? - not sure of the preferred terminology) shooting a Desert Eagle.

A saw a guy shooting a rifle at the 100 yard target in white-out conditions.

cordex
January 3, 2003, 06:10 PM
Oddest thing I've ever seen at the range?
Me shooting respectable groups in front of witnesses.

Either that or Kcustom45 outshooting me. Odd, that.
:scrutiny:
Yeah, but who wins when we use the dueling tree?

(just kidding around ... Kcustom45 is in general a far-better shot than I, but for some reason I seem to tromp all over him when we're shooting dueling steel).

Topgun
January 3, 2003, 06:12 PM
THAT'S not odd. Whiteout shooting is for gun magazine range tests.

That's when they say "The Popgopper III shot several groups of 27-36" at 100 yards, but the weather may have had something to do with it as it was less than ideal."

;)

UnknownSailor
January 3, 2003, 06:43 PM
Huntington Beach, CA FiringLine, about 1988 or so. A friend of mine, who has a somewhat.......odd.......collection of firearms, is out with me and my family.

This guy, breaks out his .45 long colt derringer, hangs up an empty 50 round .22 LR box on the target hanger by the lid, and blasts it with the hanger all the way in to the firing position. Picture muzzle contact range, and you get the idea. :eek:

My dad just about had a cow.

bogie
January 3, 2003, 06:44 PM
When a benchrest match is scheduled, it's held regardless of weather, unless the conditions are such that it is patently unsafe. Matches have been shot in conditions where targets have been barely visible, with resulting huge groups. It's a real trip to shoot a match in a rainstorm, and see a half-dozen .25" groups, and then one with a shot way over on the target - it hit a raindrop.

Average Guy
January 3, 2003, 06:46 PM
Topgun, that was the funniest thing I've read today. :)

Isn't it interesting, though, how when the company lost one f-bunny, another took his place almost immediately?

bfoster
January 3, 2003, 07:03 PM
Two incidents from benchrest matches:

Once at Leipsic, Ohio the RO called a cease fire during a match. He said "gents, we have a problem groundhog on the range." Sure enough, at about 150 yards, there it was, grazing and oblivious. It takes a moment to get a benchrest rifle lined up on a whistlepig as the FOV of the scope is only about 4½' at that range. Now, target bullets aren't designed for killing, but then again, groundhogs aren't designed to live through the dozen hits it received when "commence fire" was called...

Or, there was the day I beat the late Tom Tucker in a match at Delphos, Ohio that I probably shouldn't have won. If memory serves, it was Stan Rick that saw a wasp crawl into the barrel of Tom's 6PPC just before Tom touched off a shot. Stan hollered "cease fire," just as Tom broke the shot- whether Tom was disturbed, or whether the wasp caused the shot to fly out of the group we'll never know. No harm was done to the rifle.

Bob

schild
January 3, 2003, 07:11 PM
My wife and I were at an outdoor range about 9 years ago when a yuppie type pulled up in a new Porche. He set up a few lanes down from us and started shooting his brand new chome platted 50AE Desert Eagle. I don't think he had shot two mags and we see him packing up, blood running down his face from the cut in the forehead were the front sight had made contact.

PATH
January 3, 2003, 07:22 PM
ROFLMAO!:D That is a classic scenario I have seen!

VaughnT
January 3, 2003, 07:53 PM
My beautiful Colt 1991a1 failed to fire, period, after coming back from the gunsmith.

After a return to the same smith, I get her back and this time she fires. BUT....the hammer follows the slide on every shot, except the last two. Then she goes full-auto. 100 rounds fired. Same situ with every mag. It was weird; I wasn't happy. Weapon is now with Ted Yost in AZ.

Jorah
January 3, 2003, 08:22 PM
Three turkeys strolling across in front of the berm.

Deer grazing along the tree line 100 yards away from a range full of people shooting M1s

Guy managed to shoot a carpenter bee out of the air with a .44 mag. The bee was sort of hovering in front of him for the longest time; the guy finally got fed up and blasted it from about 3 feet away.

Guy was about to pull the trigger on an airborne clay bird going away... when a real bird came in from the front and almost intersected the path of the clay... he held fire (properly...) but all of us were yelling at him that he would have been a legend if only he'd pulled the trigger when he meant to... two "birds" with one shot.

-J.

GinSlinger
January 3, 2003, 08:38 PM
The range I use has livestock roaming the area (cuts mowing out of the equation). The cattle and goats stay off to the other side of the road during the day though. Except one day...two of us had gone out on a weekday when we knew it would be slow. Took out several rifles and had decided to go through several boxes of ammo. We get out there and the only other person on the range is an elderly, slightly pudgy, bench shooter. After about an hour or so a lone (goat) kid walks out to the middle of the 200yd lane and starts grazing. The three of us open our actions and watch the kid for a few minutes. When it becomes clear that the kid doesn't intend to go anywhere the benchrest guy tells us that he'll take care of it, and that we should just stay where we were. He half-trots out to the goat and the goat easily avoids him, trots about 5yds and starts grazing again. The man was clearly out of breathe and rests for a sec before making another charge at the goat. Goat avoids him and starts grazing again. Man pants and charges again, goat avoids and grazes. At this point the two of us on the line are really LOAO! This keeps up for the length of two cigarettes (15min?) before the goat trots off and the benchrester returns red-faced and quite out of breathe. If only he had let one of us "young'uns" take care of it....

GinSlinger

P.S. I'm sure this doesn't do justice to it, but it was hillarious. Some time I'll tell you abou the rabbit I hit broadside with a 150gr softpoint .270 at the range....:D :what:

MountainPeak
January 3, 2003, 08:42 PM
Three of the bikini clad Swedish lady shooting team told their manager, we can do this picture shoot later. We just met MountainPeak! Time to party! :) And I so much wanted to fire off a few rounds.

PATH
January 3, 2003, 08:55 PM
Wake up son! You're dreaming! Wake up!:D :neener:

PlayTheAces
January 3, 2003, 10:02 PM
How many of you have been at the range, and up drives Mr. Yuppie. He parks 20 feet away from the line. Unloads all his gear. And then activates the car's alarm!

Kobun
January 3, 2003, 11:06 PM
GinSlinger, reminds me of one incident I had a at a national IPSC rifle match in 2001.
Match was held at a military range, and there was free roaming sheep in the area.
As I got one of the squads through the brefing ( I was the RO), I saw that there was 3-4 sheeps in the bushes about 300m down range, a little to the side of the targets.
I couldn't let the shooters start, cause I couldn't burden them with having to consentrate on the sheeps as well as the shooting.
Well, it was to far to walk. Long hike in real bad terrain. :(
Soo... I figured the shooting wouldn't scare them (as this being a military range and all...) but a sonic boom should do the trick! :D

I loaded my AUG and sent a doubletap about 1 meter in front of one of the sheep.
He did notice! Just about jumped straight into the air! :D :D
They took off, and out from some other bushes came a bunch more.
I sent 7-8 shots after them in rapid order (a little to the side) to chase them off.
It worked and I got the squad through. :)

K.

HadEmAll
January 3, 2003, 11:16 PM
Start of deer season, 1987. My father-in-law had bought a new Remington 700 in 30-06, complete with scope. I'd bought him a set of loading dies, but he was lazy and didn't load any up. We end up at the range and he has no ammo. He sends my brother-in-law up to the gun shop to get a box of cartridges. We take the bolt out and get the rifle sandbagged so the 100 yard target is smack in the middle of the bore, and adjust the crosshairs to intersect the target. I explain to him this ought to put the first shot somewhere on the paper. He touches off the first round, and kicks up dirt about 50 yards downrange. I'm surprised, because he's a decent shot, but don't say anything. He fires again and this time no dirt, no hole in the paper. I pull the bolt out and re-check the crosshairs. Should be on the paper. I fire one, and father-in-law says "Kicked up dirt about 50 yards downrange". About this time I'm thinking the scope must have a crosshair problem. I idly extract the cartridge case I'd fired and am rolling it around in my hand while thinking about the problem. Look down at the headstamp and see .......25-06. Well, that explains things and I realized how lucky we were the cases were so similar. Felt quite stupid, because I was really the "experienced" one of us three. Very humbling experience.

Kahr carrier
January 3, 2003, 11:29 PM
At the range I shoot at an 8 year old kid was shooting a 22 Marlin rifle ,he set it down on a range table with a round in the chamber and it fell off and discharged and he got shot in the leg luckily it was a flesh wound,nothing fatal.:uhoh:

suvdrvr
January 3, 2003, 11:52 PM
A few months back I saw a picture in a magazine, an NRA publication I think, of a Chinese Shooting range. Down range about 25 yards was commrade holding a stick between his crossed legs with a target attached to it about 5 feet above his head and another chicom taking aim with his pistol.

Okiecruffler
January 4, 2003, 09:30 AM
I was shooting at an outdoor range just before the start of deer season. PLace was crowded with folks sighting in for the season, so a guy asked if he could share my bench. I was just plinking with a .22 and wasn't using much room so I had no problem with it. The guy sets up his target next to mine at 25yrds and proceeds to fire 3 shots from his .270 into a perfect 9inch group. He looks over to me and says, "That oughta do it." and leaves. At least I know the deer were safe in site of his stand.

Cosmoline
January 4, 2003, 11:37 AM
Once at Leipsic, Ohio the RO called a cease fire during a match. He said "gents, we have a problem groundhog on the range." Sure enough, at about 150 yards, there it was, grazing and oblivious. It takes a moment to get a benchrest rifle lined up on a whistlepig as the FOV of the scope is only about 4½' at that range. Now, target bullets aren't designed for killing, but then again, groundhogs aren't designed to live through the dozen hits it received when "commence fire" was called...

Poor little fellow! I hope you at least offered him a blindfold and a smoke before the end :)

sturmruger
January 4, 2003, 01:36 PM
I own a Steyr M9 and a Steyr M40. This weekend I got my magazines mixed up. I shot two rounds of 9mm off in my M40 before I realized why it was acting so funny. The first round actualy fired, but it didn't feel quite right. The second round did nothing. Just went "Click" That scared the crap out of me. I decided that in the future I would always double check a clip before I put it in the gun.

cuchulainn
January 4, 2003, 04:55 PM
Private "home" range had a locked box on the line where extra hearing/eye protection, targets, clays, spray paint etc. were stored. A guest didn't have ear protection so the owner handed him a pair from the box.

After he put them on, the guy started jerking his head around, throws off the muffs and starts swating at the sides of his head.

Upon further inspection the interior of the box had teeny-tiny little ants nesting there (between two stacked clays) and a bunch were on the muffs.

Drjones
January 6, 2003, 05:06 AM
What is the oddest thing you have seen happen at the range?

That one day when I actually hit the target.

:rolleyes:

Rusty
January 6, 2003, 10:07 AM
One day a guy had a Romanian AK and was shooting it. He was a pretty good shot. I talked to him and he said he had been down in Florida on a job and bought the gun from an individual there. He shot "Bap", then "Bap", and "Bap". Then it goes Bap,Bap,Bap, Bap". He looks at the gun looks around and shoots again. It's going FA. He looks around again with the Uh oh look and takes out the mag and leaves.

LeadPumper
January 6, 2003, 11:27 AM
Local range counter guys look out for us regulars. Especially when the Armoured Car Company from next door is there doing annual re-certification.

Last spring sometime, I had decided to blow some steam off after work and stopped by the range. The counter guy greeted me with a pained look, and from the amount of firing I could hear from the range, most of the lanes were in use.

He told me I probably didn't want to go out there, then he told me why.

One look through the bullet proof glass behind the counter told me all I needed to know. The ricochets off the floor and walls left spectacular little orange sparks. Lots of them. I watched one rather large fellow empty a hi-cap 9mm into a silouette at ten feet. Of course he didn't hit anything; but that was because the second round hit the overhead carrier and dropped the target. Didn't stop him from emptying his mag though.

I tossed a salute to the counter guy as I ran for the door.

-LeadPumper

sw442642
January 6, 2003, 12:29 PM
I did this. I was shooting off hand with a 9mm in an indoor range. The targets were held to the cable by a big metal like wedge that touched the top of the target and came down about two inches on the target. I tried a head shot (remember the wedge is close to the head of the B27). I shot a touch high and the round richoted some way straight down the target and cut the B-27 in to a one third vs. two thirds piece. The sparks also set it on fire.

Folks wanted to know what kind of ammo I was shooting. That's stopping power - or so it seemed.

The range changed the holders as too mahy folks were hitting them.

Larry Ashcraft
January 6, 2003, 01:05 PM
This just happened last Friday. My son took his friend to the range to try out his friend's brand new 300 Ultra Mag. They were shooting at the 450 yard gong and hitting it when they finished their first box of ammo. Opened the second box and the first shot was about 6-7 feet low. Same with the second shot. The friend says "How come this brass is split?" My son looks at the box and says "Uh-oh, 300 Weatherby Mag".

No, you can't fire-form 300 Weatherby into 300 Ultra Mag, there ain't enough brass there. :D

Spoonman
January 6, 2003, 01:43 PM
We went to the range as a family (wife, 17-yr old son, 22-yr old son, 25-yr old son and his wife), as we so often do. My son's wife is from Buffalo, NY and came from a non-shooting family (no hunters, nobody ever owned a firearm). She's a good one, though, and has adapted well to the South as home (still can't eat grits, but we have her in therapy). She asked to go to the range and did her homework, learning (from me, of course) about firearm safety and how these things work. When we got there, there were 3 dillweeds on the handgun section playing with a suppressed Ingram submachine gun (running back and forth, engaging targets, firing long strings on full auto, etc). We intended to start with .22 rifles on the rifle range anyway (a huge berm separates the two sections) but I paused in the parking lot to note, "This is the kind of thing we must never do. Firearms are like any other power tool, always show common sense and don't play with them". No sooner were the words out of my mouth, than one of the dillweeds screamed and began jumping around. I ran over to find that the suppressor had come off during full auto and shattered. The poor fool that was firing had traumatically removed his left index finger and had several pieces of shrapnel in his hand. I helped control the bleeding, had the other dillweeds put the remains of the finger in their ice chest (with their beer), and sent them packing to the hospital (quicker than an ambulance in this rural setting). As this was a Georgia DNR range, I also notified the Game Wardens and the Stewart County Sheriffs office. In spite of the incident, we had a good session. My daughter-in-law fired .22s, the SKS, Beretta .25s, and my wife's J-frame S&W .38. She balked at the 1911, but all things in their own time.

pwolfman
January 6, 2003, 02:24 PM
Ok, I am the Officer in charge of an AT-4 (anti-tank weapon) sub-cal range that uses a 9mm tracer round of less than full strength. This is to get familiar with sighting the weapon onto a target without using an actual anti tank weapon. It is getting late and we are just burning off ammo we do not want to turn in, and in flies this prairie chicken and lands on the range about 100 yards away. Now, imagine four single shot sub-cal 9mm tracers firing as fast as they can reload at this poor little bird. Let's just say you can aim those things pretty good.

:D

Pwolfman

Keith
January 6, 2003, 03:05 PM
I was at our local range shooting .22 with my young son one fine summer day. This is a fairly informal range with no RO, or anything like that and we were the only ones there. Anyway, the boy (about 7 or 8 then) is shooting at lines of shotgun shells that I've stood up in the dirt about 25 yards out. Kids like "reactive targets", and me too!

Along comes some horses behind with his own son who takes it upon himself to come over and announce that "I can't let you do that."
"Do what?", I ask...
"You can't shoot at the ground like that because it's unsafe and a ricochet may come back and hit somebody!"

I don't know who this guy is - he may be an officer of the range or something - so, rather than argue the point, I just roll my eyes and tell him "Fine, we'll shoot at paper targets."

We both set up paper targets, me at 25 yards and he out at the 100 yard mark, resume our seats and indicate the range is now hot again. He's breaking out a rifle and a box of .300 mag and I start concentrating on my son again.

Shortly thereafter, he unleashes his first shot followed by a wail of pain from his son. The kid had been sitting about 3 feet to the right of the father with his ear protection dangling around his neck when the guy fired! He gathers up his stuff and leaves with the kid clutching his ear, screaming and crying.

I didn't say a word.

Then we started shooting at the shotgun shells again.

Keith

geekWithA.45
January 6, 2003, 03:21 PM
*Guns do funny things with the wrong ammo in them.
*Guns do nothing when you leave the ammo @ home.
*Suicidal Wildlife...nuff said.
*Stupidity is Painful.

standingbear
January 6, 2003, 03:23 PM
at an indoor range,some idiot apparantly decocked his auto with his cocking thumb and trigger.it looked like it hurt bigtime.was hunting groundhogs and just as i fired,a bunch of cows came running out of the ravine from behind me,almost ran over me. many years ago,a friend and I were shooting bb guns back in the woods when he decided to take a shot at a large bunch of buzzards up in the tree with their wings outstretched.to prove he was a better shot and not afraid of them(they looked almost as big as we were),he walked over to the base of the tree and shot up at them.it sounded like something falling and i saw him running back.as he got closer,there was something in his hair and all over his shirt.the bb gun thrown down somewhere.it smelled awful.it was later we both learned that buzzards do this as a defence tool,they throw-up.we still have a laugh at it to this day,some 30 years ago.

bogie
January 6, 2003, 03:23 PM
The guy sounds like an idjit regarding the hearing protection, but do keep in mind that if you're shooting at targets on the ground, the bullets _can_ bounce off the ground, go over the backstop (if it's not high enough, of course...) and keep going... and going...

At one local range, there's a driving range on the other side of the berm.

BamBam-31
January 6, 2003, 04:20 PM
I saw some of the same things.

Once, an elderly gent walked out to about 10 yards to set up his target before anyone noticed. People were firing, bullets flying everywhere, guy next to me starts hollering like mad. Sure glad he did, cuz I was too focused to notice the gent, and he was only about three lanes down. Rangemaster comes by and tells the gent, "You don't really want to go down there right now. One of these guys might actually get lucky." ;)

Same day, a squirrel with uncanny danger sense raced up and down the side of the lanes. What was funny was the unofficial cease fire the squirrel caused. The look of anticipation on everyone's faces was priceless. Squirrel never did run across. Everyone sighed in unison and began plinking a paper again.

Once, I took my sister to the range to show her how to shoot. Taught her proper gun handling and range procedures the night before, so all's well and good, right? She walks up to the line, picks up my Glock, fires her first (and only) shot ever, and hits the bullseye. She's so excited she turns around and sweeps everyone with my gun.

Don't ask me how, but I went into Matrix bullet-time. First, I dodged the muzzle with a Neo-like twist and back-bend, then I gently but quickly disarmed my sister. We laugh about it now, but boy, that was dangerous. Note to self: Next time, only one round for first-timers.

:what:

spacemanspiff
January 6, 2003, 04:35 PM
one thing unusual i experienced at the range is odd trajectory. i'm on one side of the lanes, with 2 other people down about ten lanes away on the left, and i take a shot with the M40, see the hole appear on the paper, as well as see a puff of dirt about five feet to the left, and ten feet behind the target, and another puff of dirt in the berm 75 yards away.
usually the puffs of dirt appear right behind the target.

something i dont understand is the guys who show up and shoot at the same target, simultaneously. they stand shoulder to shoulder and fire away.

bogie
January 6, 2003, 04:50 PM
You know, that's a DARN GOOD IDEA...

Next time I take a newbie out, they start with one bullet. Then after they get used to the concept, they get a magazine/cylinder full...

Oh, and you'd be surprised at the twists and turns a round can make after hitting a target. Even paper. Shoot some tracers sometime...

BlackJack
January 6, 2003, 05:46 PM
I was shooting an AR-15 at a 100 yard target when this hawk or falcon of some type flys down and lights on the top edge of my target backing. I stopped fireing for a few minutes to see if it would leave. When it didn't, I took another few shots at the target, since my group was pretty tight and in the center, and the bird didn't even flinch. He didn't even leave the target until I packed up and walked down to take down my target. He flew off as I approached the target.

Keith
January 6, 2003, 06:05 PM
>>>>The guy sounds like an idjit regarding the hearing protection, but do keep in mind that if you're shooting at targets on the ground, the bullets _can_ bounce off the ground, go over the backstop (if it's not high enough, of course...) and keep going... and going...<<<<<<<

This is Alaska, there's nothing beyond the range but an empty mountainside. This guy was just being a horses behind and perhaps trying to show off his safety consciousness for his kid - his now deaf kid.

Keith

Correia
January 6, 2003, 07:28 PM
We were having a Utah TFL shoot out in the desert. Doug444 had brought out a really big boyscout shade tent. You know, one of the really really BIG shade tents with thick metal legs and everything.

I'm shooting my pistol when a strong wind begins to blow. This is the west desert and we can get really strong gusts. I holster my pistol and hold onto my hat. I hear shouting behind me and I turn to see that the giant tent is rolling rapidly out across the desert.

Thinking quickly I realize that I run full tilt boogey I would be able to intersect the tent before it gets away. I go into full tackle mode, aiming for one of the big supports. I figure I can take it.

Think about that for just a second. This tent is the size of a sail on a good size boat. Quite a bit of energy stored there.

It hit me so hard! :D I went flying. I guess it was very entertaining for the other TFLers present.

Dang that tent. I coulda been a contender.

Average Guy
January 6, 2003, 08:22 PM
Ok, I am the Officer in charge of an AT-4 (anti-tank weapon) sub-cal range that uses a 9mm tracer round of less than full strength.

I forgot all about those! We shot them in boot camp; they were kinda fun. But dang, that has got to be the most unwieldy 9mm ever made! :)

357Man
January 6, 2003, 09:16 PM
I've seen quite a few of the "folks downrange before the all clear" and etc, but here's a goof that happened to me.

I was at my local range with a friend when another club member of our aquaintance showed up to sight in his .243 for the upcoming deer season. He was bragging to us about how great it shot, and insisted that I try it out.
I picked up the rifle, put a round in it, and sighted it offhand at a target. When the trigger broke, I was greeted with what felt like sand blowing across my face and (thank the Lord) onto my shooting glasses. When I put the rifle down, I found that I was bleeding from a cut on the side of my nose. We had to brace the bolt against a bench and push down on the rifle to get the bolt open; the case fell out of the chamber, and the primer fell out of the newly enlarged primer pocket.
After wiping off my face and trying my best to keep from punching the goof who did this, I asked what in the world was in those .243 cases.
He was really surprised by this turn of events. He couldn't understand what had happened - the ammo he had given me was ammo that he had loaded up for deer season. He had found a great, top end load with 70 grain bullets for groundhogs; it shot so good he told us, that he had just used the same powder charge with 100 GRAIN BULLETS FOR DEER SEASON. It couldn't be that much different, could it?!
After he packed up and left, my friend had the line of the century. He came over to me and handed me one of his revolvers, and said, "Here, shoot this; I'm afraid to!". I about peed in my pants.

Greybeard
January 6, 2003, 11:05 PM
PD annual qualification with shotgun. FTO officer arrives with just one veteran officer who, shall we say, is not known for being an especially proficient pistol person. FTO puts silhoutte target on carrier and runs target out to 15 yard line. FTO hands officer Remington 870 with aprox. 18" barrel and gives instructions: 5 rounds, no time limit. Officer loads and fires 5 rounds of 12 gauge 00 buck (9 pellets per round). FTO retrieves target, observes, folds and places in trash. They put the 870 back in case and leave. I retrieve target from top of trash can and unfold. 4 holes on the left edge of (minimum 20" X 30") paper. :eek:

ezoeni
January 6, 2003, 11:13 PM
setting off a car alarm motion sensor about 30 feet away and up a hill. With the concusion of a 50cal. Did it three times before the guy figured it was just best to leave it off.

:)

Navy joe
January 7, 2003, 12:25 AM
I saw an unnamed world champion shooter pop off a few rounds from an Ingram pistol Gangsta style. He hit paper. Would be in Front Sight (The USPSA magazine) had I a camera. :D

Monkeyleg
January 7, 2003, 12:30 AM
Oddest thing?

I went to an indoor range over the weekend; first time at an indoor range in maybe a decade.

Seven bays, seven+ shooters. Every kind of handgun from old S&W's to Ed Browns.

What was odd? Compared to the targets of the other shooters, I looked like a world-class champion! And I'm not a good shot by any stretch.

I gotta go back there more often. :)

SquirrelNuts
February 26, 2003, 02:57 AM
I always get odd looks when I set up army men complete with burms, jets, and flags at 100 yards and take them out with my Marlin 880SQ. I then bring back the remaining parts for an analysis.

-SquirrelNuts

jsalcedo
February 26, 2003, 04:07 AM
I was at an icehouse /shooting range near Helotes Texas.

Yes. beer, pool, darts, and shooting.

There was a sign stating no alcoholic beverages could be taken
on the range.

You could drive right up to whatever burm you wanted to shoot at. This place had previously been a limestone quarry and there were several small areas where you could drive in and shoot
with a rock wall as your backstop.

A fellow with a Thompson was in one of these areas off right behind me. He began firing off a 50 round drum.

All of the sudden I felt and heard whizzing and whooshing all around me. I got behind my car and hit the deck. At least 30 rounds came within 5 feet of me and were ricoheting off my table as I was directly 180 degrees from his rock wall backstop.

As soon as he ran out of ammo I threw my guns in the trunk and
peeled out of there.

I thought about driving up and telling him he was a deadly menace and idiot but I wasn't sure if I could get there before he changed mags and let loose again.

I still can't understand how the shooter lived through his own fusillade.

Skunkabilly
February 26, 2003, 04:09 AM
A Glock 26 with a Scherer 28 (30? 32?) round magazine :D

tex_n_cal
February 26, 2003, 04:16 AM
Well, I have been downrange once, when a kid sat at the bench during a ceasefire, and sent a .22 downrange, luckily no where near anyone. There were four adults with him, and they were standing around BS'ing instead of supervising the boy. The adults were rather icily informed that they should pay attention. :fire:

Once in Texas, I was just taking a break when a coyote ran onto the range. I jokingly said to the owner, "are coyotes in season"? He got excited, ran out to the line and started yelling, "that coyote ate my cat! Get him!"

A couple AR's were brought into play, and the coyote did not survive.:D

A generously endowed young woman having a hot case drop her shirt. Were she not in a booth she might have seriously distracted some other shooters.

:evil:

One guy shooting a arty Luger, a real nice one, at an indoor range. Lugers throw their brass straight up, of course, so the guy was getting beaned on the head about every other shot. He was developing about a two second delayed flinch as a result.

A rank beginner who bought himself a .300 win. mag as his first gun. He sat down at the range, touched it off, and I hear from the next bench:

BOOM! "uhhhhhh"

Lucky for him it had no scope on, otherwise he'd probably have a scar to this day.

Not at the range, but once I set a coke can in a mesquite tree, and started shooting with my .44 Smith, which was loaded with full power loads. On the third shot, half the tree fell over:eek:

Hand_Rifle_Guy
February 26, 2003, 01:01 PM
Ka-POP! A Stupid Story, Or, Don't Let It Happen To You!!

I'm at the outdoor range with a buddy and his friend. Both are gun people, but they own modern stuff, AR's and the like. I had brought a #4 Enfield and my trapdoor Springfield that day, and one look at a 45-70 and my buddy's friend HAD to try it. He'd NEVER seen bullets that fat for a rifle before. One of my favorite things is watching other people's smiles when they shoot the old Springfield, so I was watching when he pulled the trigger. There was a funny little 'pop', and he turns to me and says "It didn't go off." As I was watching, I had seen something hit the dirt bank, but there was NO recoil.

Hmmmm. That rifle gives you a pleasant shove without fail. And it's never misfired for as long as I've owned it.
Did my 100-year-old firing pin finally run out of luck? No, wait, what hit the berm...?

"Open it," I say, "something went off." So he flips up the breechblock and says "It's stuck." Huh?? Trapdoor extractors are known for ripping right through cartridge rims, just ask Custer and his boys. So I get him to hand the rifle to me and what should I find? This clown had a brain failure and put a .303 BRITISH cartridge in my 118-year-old rifle! The rim is the about same thickness as a 45-70 and had neatly dropped into the rim groove in the chamber. The primer had been hit on one side, and the case was too small in diameter for the extractor to grab it. I turn to this guy and tell him "You just put a HIGH-pressure SMOKELESS round in my 1882 BLACKpowder gun THAT HAS A RECIEVER MADE OF CAST IRON! WHAT THE F--- WERE YOU DOING?! I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOU WANTED TO SHOOT THE BIG BORE! .303 DOES NOT BEGIN WITH A FOUR!!" :what::mad:

Needless to say, he turned white in the face and apologized. He really did know better, and knew all about putting the wrong ammo in a gun. I was more concerned about him getting hurt than spraying my favorite antique rifle all over the range, so I quit yelling at him as he was OK. At this point one of the R.O.'s was edging over to our little "discussion group" and kind of craning his neck, watching what was happening.

I took the cleaning rod out and pushed the case out. It popped out freely. The front two-thirds of the case had stretched to fit the chamber, neatly sealing off the gasses, and the neck had split. Brass is amazing stuff! The bullet had gone rattle-clunk down the bore and wandered off somwhere down range into the dirt bank. The difference between a .311 bullet and a .458 bore prevented any kind of pressure building up, which saved us all from a disaster. The range guy figured out there was no harm done (except to a bit of injured pride) and didn't say a word to anybody. My conclusion? Don't put different kinds of ammo on the same bench, even if they ARE drastically different.

I still have that ".303/.450" case. It makes for some wild speculation when people see it. Today's lesson: Ask for a raise, so you're not too poor to PAY ATTENTION! ;) :rolleyes: ;)

Ed
February 26, 2003, 03:24 PM
The strangest was at Camp Shelby on the artillery range, there are old vehicles downrange to shoot at. Well the range was opened and the fso chose an old school bus for the first round, well it was about 100 meters off, as he called in an adjustment all of a sudden 2 guys in blaze orange came out of th ebuss 90 to nothing. Seems that these two had decided that th ebus was a good deer stand for the first day of the season.

Intune
February 26, 2003, 03:36 PM
Shooting my .357 revolver and having a grand old time. Picked up my .45 AMT backup (don't get ahead of me here!) and fired that sucker using my thumb over strong hand grip. Those Ginsu steak knives got NOTHIN on the AMT slide, let me tell ya! Deep! I now have twin parallel scars on the back of my left thumb and a new grip that I use for everything! You should see me open a ketchup bottle, yep, both thumbs to the side…

Carbon_15
February 26, 2003, 04:57 PM
reprint from a while back. LiquidTension, where you and Ryan at the range with me when this happened?

There was a match at my gun club this morning which I was not participating in, so I had to go to the local public range. Usualy there are the requisite bubba types with their scoped 30-30's and such, but today was different. I ran into a real, true, bonified armed and dangerous mall ninja...and his sidekicks. Personaly I have never felt the need to wear BDU pants and a boonie hat to the range, but I try not to be prejudice about folks who do. Unfortunatly, these jokers fit the profile in more than just attire. They had some pretty nice gear consisting of USP Compacts w/ surfire lights attached and a few Ak's w/ drum mags. Oh yea..and a video camera..UHOH. I had already seen some pretty unsafe gunhandeling just on the walk from my car to the shooting area and desided that I wouldn't dare go downrange to put up a target around these guys. I settled down on the far end of the shed to watch the 'tactical training video' in production. The first order of business was to rattle off a 75 round drum from the Ak. Ofcource he turned to the camera guy and spewed some incorrect, garbage primer about the AK before taking up a 'from the hip stance', lowering his Oaklies and letting loose. About 10 of the rounds hit the silohette, the rest went into the ground, over the backstop and landed God knows where.
If that wasn't enough, the mall ninja and his sidekick then proceded to show off the ultimate in tactical manuvers. Basicly, the sidekick was doing a low ready, slow walk towards the target with the mall ninja in a crouch, walking behind him (for some reason All I could think about was "If plan A is taking multiple .308 rounds to the back...). As they got closer to the targets, the sidekick let loose with his USP Compact. When his pistol ran dry, the mall ninja took up a firing position around the sidekicks right shoulder and fired as the other guy reloaded. When the mall ninja ran dry, the sidekick fired as the ninja ducked back behind him and reloaded. On the second rotation, the sidekick fumbled his mag and tried to catch it, moveing ever so slightly out of the choreographed patern of movement and put his elbow in the ninjas line of fire. Luckily, the ninjas lightening reflexes saved the day and the sidekick didn't get a blown out elbow. Either that or it was just luck that the fumble and grab happened between shots...naaa. Guess they will have to add trauma plates duct taped inside elbow pads to their tactical load-out next time. I almost expected the ninja in the boonie hat to shoot his sidekick's elbow to teach him the error of his ways. We all know that 'on one hand, ninjas dont give a crap, but on the other hand, they are very carefull and precise'. I really thought he would have started flipping out and killing people.

Its hard to tell what happened next, I packed up my gear and headed home.

pignock
May 8, 2003, 03:03 PM
I know this is an old thread but I just found it and I gotta add my two stories:

1. USN (1982)- On subs, in order to stand topside security watch, you gotta qual with a .45 once a year. I don't remember the specifics of the quals but its something like 23 out of thirty shots into a man size sillouette at 50 feet, no time limit.

pignock
May 8, 2003, 03:29 PM
I know this is an old thread but I just found it and I gotta add my two stories:

1. USN (1982)- On subs, in order to stand topside security watch, you gotta qual with a .45 once a year. I don't remember the specifics of the quals but its something like 23 out of thirty shots into a man size sillouette at 50 feet, no time limit. Marine range with jarhead ROs. We were seriously shorthanded of qualified watches so the Chief Of the Boat (cob) loaded all of the nonquals and guys who needed recirt. onto a bus and took us to the Marine range. After everybody shoots his qual string, we take down our target and take em to the cob. He's sitting at a table with a very grizzled looking marine gunny, scoring the targets. For everyone who didn't make the qual grade (not me ;) ) he takes out a really fat ink pen and punches enough holes through their target to give them a passing grade. I've never seen anyone give as contemptuous looks as that old jarhead did to the dudes that didn't qualify.

2. Sighting in a buddy's(buddy 1) slug gun for deer season. Me and a different buddy(buddy 2) go to the range to sight in our slug guns and take another guy's(buddy 1) who can't go to sight it in for him. He had put a cheap rifle scope on his. I sight in mine, buddy 2 sights in his, and we go to work on buddy 1's. I can't see crap through his pos scope so I screw myself down into the stock and get a cheek weld way too close to the scope. I touch off a round and - no surprise - that scope leaves a nice little half moon above my right eye. Buddy 2 laughs his a$$ off, tells me I don't know what I'm doing, takes the shotgun and does exactly the same thing. There we stand, both of us with blood running down our faces and nothing to wipe it off with when and old guy drives up, gets out, takes a look at the two of us, says nothing, gets in his car and drives away. I swear we were both completely sober when this happened.

pignock
May 8, 2003, 03:31 PM
oops - fat fingers hit the enter key - sorry ya'll

Salpalinja
May 9, 2003, 06:23 AM
Believe it or not, I once had a jam in my ak-74. :D

Kharn
May 9, 2003, 08:37 AM
Salpalinja:
My girlfriend managed to jam both an SKS and an AK in one day. She wasnt too interested in shooting them, so she just held the rifles next to her shoulder and not in firm contact while being lazy, so the SKS short stroked, and the AK failed to eject. Being the girl that she is, instead of admitting to limp-shouldering the rifles at first, she said my rifles sucked and said she wanted to shoot my pistols instead (she'll shoot the 1911s until we run out of ammo, but doesnt like rifles that much as she's cross dominate). I think the yelling she got from the RO taught her to never say that an AK sucks again when it was her fault it didnt work. Thankfully he yelled so I didnt have to find a gentlemanly way to approach the problem. :banghead:

Kharn

TearsOfRage
May 9, 2003, 04:29 PM
oddest thing I've seen:

I once saw a guy with an AR-15 shoot for hours without a single jam. :what:

:grinning, ducking & running:

natedog
May 9, 2003, 04:44 PM
I was at the range one day, showing about 10-15 Boy Scouts how to shoot, most with 10-22's, aome with hi-caps, some with levers and pumps, and one with a bolt action. As we were firing at targets, someone screamed, "SQUIRREL!" and there, at about 10 yards, a squirrel had poked it's head out of it's hole and began to run across the range lengthwise. A string of fire erupts from every one of them, and the terrified squirrel sprinted like a soldier crossing no-mans land, with puffs of dirt exploding all around him. One of the men supervising even drew his Glock and began firing. The poor rodent finally made it to another hole, unscathed. That gave us a good laugh.

Bainx
May 9, 2003, 10:52 PM
After launching my 10th or so 30.06 out of the M1, a wild turkey waltzed out right in front of me about 75 yds. in front of the shooting bench. It stood there for several seconds and then moved on.

LiquidTension
May 10, 2003, 08:06 AM
Carbon - no, thankfully I was not present on that day. Ryan and I have taken a camera to the range before, but just to film reactive targets. We do not try to recreate Counter Strike maneuvers at the range like these guys.

I guess the oddest thing I've seen at the range is bullets flying down range. I mean the actual projectile. At Shooter's Choice, there are a few places where the light is just right to reflect off of the traveling projectile as it flies down the range. It surprised me the first time I saw it. Pretty cool :)

jacketch
May 10, 2003, 09:17 AM
Back in the 60's at a range in Taiwan, shooting against the Chinese national team, we went downrange during a ceasefire to change practice targets prior to the match. The target stands were placed in a ditch behind a low berm. You had to stand in the ditch and reach up to change targets. As I bent down to put the pack of targets away I heard a crack; I dropped as fast as I could into the muddy ditch as did all the other frightened individuals at the target line. It turned out that one of the Chinese shooters was showing a friend how to shoot and didn't unload the gun first. What really scared me though was that when I looked at my target there was a hole in it, low at 7 o'clock. I packed up and left quickly.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the oddest thing you have seen happen at the range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!