It was a joke!

PDA

John G
March 26, 2003, 10:43 PM
Nice article about one lucky Brit. He caught four shots to the dome, all were stopped by his helmet.

lucky brit marine (http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-12276106,00.html)

If you enjoyed reading about "It was a joke!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SquirrelNuts
March 26, 2003, 10:50 PM
Isin't it amazing stuff?

-SquirrelNuts

John G
March 26, 2003, 10:56 PM
Here's his pic:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030326/capt.1048709571.iraq_britain_military_war_lwd132.jpg

cool45auto
March 26, 2003, 11:41 PM
Remember that guy in "Saving Private Ryan" who got hit in the helmet and when he took it off to look he got hit in the head?

This guy is beyond lucky!

jmbg29
March 26, 2003, 11:50 PM
:what:

Thank God is right!

BTW, was Kevlar invented by 20th century folks, or 7th century barbarians living in the 20th/21st century?

That's what I thought.:rolleyes:

He owes his life to this wonderful lady. http://www.si.edu/lemelson/centerpieces/ilives/images/kwolek4.gif

http://www.si.edu/lemelson/centerpieces/ilives/images/kwolek3.gif

http://www.si.edu/lemelson/centerpieces/ilives/lecture05.html

Kevlarman
March 27, 2003, 12:17 AM
Cripes man! What was he shot at with? And at what range?

IMtheNRA
March 27, 2003, 12:21 AM
Somebody send him some aspirin!

Blackhawk
March 27, 2003, 12:39 AM

Happy fellow! :D

Lennyjoe
March 27, 2003, 04:47 AM
Bet he had one helluva headache.:eek:

Deadman
March 27, 2003, 08:15 AM
I heard one reporter 'embedded' ( :rolleyes: ) with the 3rd Inf. Div state that two U.S. soldiers had also been saved by their kevlar.
One took a hit to the back of his vest without injury and the other was also saved by his kevlar helmet deflecting the bullet.

Chipperman
March 27, 2003, 05:48 PM
That's a pretty good four shot group! :uhoh:

They should send that boy home before he gets hurt. He just used up his entire life supply of luck!

AK103K
March 27, 2003, 05:52 PM
What did he do, just keep poking his head up and keep getting shot? What shoots that fast, at anything but point blank to get a group like that? Unless he had four Iraqi's zoomed in on him at once. :)
Perhaps it really wasnt bullets, and just shrapnel.

Bonker
March 27, 2003, 05:52 PM
"Cripes man! What was he shot at with? And at what range?"

I'm nearly certain that the latest generation of US military helmets and vests will stop all handgun and most rifle ammo.

My guess is he got hit by an AK-47 which I'm sure our newest Kevlar will stop nearly every time.

I'm not sure if it would stop an AK-74 though. Their penetrators are nasty. I'm no expert on the 74 though.

blades67
March 27, 2003, 05:55 PM
I'll bet he starts wearing a Kevlar helmet for everything! Yes, even during that.:evil:

AK103K
March 27, 2003, 05:56 PM
Looks like thats what he might be doing in the pic.:D

SkaerE
March 27, 2003, 05:56 PM
im fairly certain that our kevlars were not made to stop rounds, but only to deflect them. when i went through basic (in 97) they shot a kevlar w/a 223 at about 50m and it punctured it with ease. but it was a straight on shot.

maybe they're better now?

either way, that guy is damn lucky

Bonker
March 27, 2003, 06:15 PM
"maybe they're better now?"

I read an article this week on how they are vastly improved recently and will stop rifle rounds.

ALso, I'd bet a 223 penetrates body armor much better than a 7.62x39. I dunno for sure though. I've never had any AP in 223 and I don't load my AP 7.62 in anything but 308.

jsalcedo
March 27, 2003, 07:53 PM
I saw in Solider of fortune magazineeone of the then new kevlar helmets stop a 7.62x39 during the Grenada campaign.

The guy had his helmet strapped on and he said it threw him back
and felt like his head was getting ripped off but it was glancing and did not penetrate.

Drizzt
April 14, 2003, 11:38 PM
Remember this Brit?:

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2003170506,00.jpg

referenced here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15589&highlight=kevlar+helmet ?

Here's the REAL story...

Mr Lucky was not so plucky
By JOHN KAY

THE “Stay Lucky” soldier pictured wearing a helmet riddled with bullet holes was playing a PRANK, The Sun can reveal.

Comical commando Eric Walderman and his comrades fooled Gulf War II newsmen by pretending he had escaped death by inches when he was shot at while fighting Iraqis.

In fact his Kevlar helmet was just lying on top of his pack when it was peppered by fellow Marines trying to hit an unexploded anti-tank weapon.

Eric, 28, then popped it on his head and posed for photographers travelling with 40 Commando before they took Umm Qasr in southern Iraq.

He gave no interview but he and his pals did nothing to stop journalists jumping to conclusions.

The picture was beamed round the world with the amazing story of his “miracle” escape.

Eric, of Fleetwood, Lancs, was hailed the luckiest man alive. And as a result of the publicity his son Danny, two, was invited to meet soccer wonderkid Wayne Rooney and his other Everton heroes.

The Marines came clean when The Sun sought an update on Eric for our Gulf War in pictures commemorative special.

A senior officer said: “I’m afraid the pressmen have been had. All commandos have a great sense of humour. Boys will be boys.

“It will go down in history as a great wheeze.”

Eric’s receptionist girlfriend Lindsey Robinson, 25, was among those who cheered his luck after the “firefight”. She said: “I can’t believe it.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003170820,00.html

Schuey2002
April 14, 2003, 11:46 PM
:cuss:

Yohan
April 14, 2003, 11:47 PM
Nice. :cool:

You might say- he had a blast!

Ha! Looks like his joke was- SHOT DOWN!

His kevlar won't stop the rotten tomatos!

keyhole
April 14, 2003, 11:53 PM
Guess that's how some legends are born, letting those who don't know, make up the rest.:banghead:

BerettaNut92
April 15, 2003, 12:04 AM
That dude looks like Owen Wilson.

John G
April 15, 2003, 01:15 AM
Well, poo. Looks like I got tricked. Sorry about that guys, but the story was a prank. Here's the real deal. (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003170820,00.html)

Mr Lucky was not so plucky
By JOHN KAY

THE “Stay Lucky” soldier pictured wearing a helmet riddled with bullet holes was playing a PRANK, The Sun can reveal.

Comical commando Eric Walderman and his comrades fooled Gulf War II newsmen by pretending he had escaped death by inches when he was shot at while fighting Iraqis.

In fact his Kevlar helmet was just lying on top of his pack when it was peppered by fellow Marines trying to hit an unexploded anti-tank weapon.

Eric, 28, then popped it on his head and posed for photographers travelling with 40 Commando before they took Umm Qasr in southern Iraq.

He gave no interview but he and his pals did nothing to stop journalists jumping to conclusions.

The picture was beamed round the world with the amazing story of his “miracle” escape.

boing
April 15, 2003, 01:57 AM

Well, I guess he's still a pretty lucky guy...

WonderNine
April 15, 2003, 03:19 AM
Hahaha. If I was over there I'd be messing with the 'combat correspondents' too. Making sh*t up for their stories. Bunch of morons lol.

voilsb
April 15, 2003, 04:02 AM
:evil:
I think that's pretty rad. they didn't tell the reporters anything. the reporters just decided to make up their own story (this sounds like pretty familiar territory for journalists, sometimes).

although I'm glad they came clean and told the real story.

Lars
April 15, 2003, 11:19 AM
Got to love a sence of humor.:D

RustyHammer
April 15, 2003, 12:08 PM
Yeah, maybe use and RPG next time ... ?

OF
April 15, 2003, 12:34 PM
HA! A little poetic justice for the journalists. Take the story and run!

- Gabe

4v50 Gary
April 15, 2003, 12:36 PM
The media dogs "create" news, not report it.

Ian
April 15, 2003, 12:39 PM
Lol....:p

Oleg Volk
April 15, 2003, 01:58 PM
Threads merged.

April 15, 2003, 02:09 PM
:banghead:

:D

:neener:

:evil:

Dannyboy
April 15, 2003, 05:47 PM
I wonder who let the cat out of the bag. This is definitely one for the ages. It was such a cool story. Of course, it got better in the end. I wonder how the original reporter feels.

Peetmoss
April 15, 2003, 06:01 PM
LOL that is funny

samualt
April 15, 2003, 06:17 PM
I think I like that soldier and the story even more now! LOL.
After all, he and his friends didn't tell the press anything. The press made it up all themselves. The soldiers were just having a little fun letting the press believe, and make up, what they wanted. Whats more patriotic then poking a little fun at the liberal media?
:D :D :D

If you enjoyed reading about "It was a joke!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!