M1 in .308 or .30-06?

PDA

-C4-
February 23, 2006, 10:13 PM
I am thinking about buying a M1, but aren't sure which caliber to get? Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 in .308 or .30-06?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gulogulo1970
February 23, 2006, 10:56 PM
Everyone is going to say 30-06. But not me I'm not a purist.

Surplus 30-06 is getting scarce, 308 will be around for a long while and it is cheaper.

ocabj
February 24, 2006, 12:36 AM
Just get your CMP Garand and leave it .30-06. If you aren't reloading by the time M2 ball has disappeared, you will probably have shot out the barrel anyway and can rebarrel to .308.

Sunray
February 24, 2006, 12:48 AM
Six of this, half dozen of the other. Depends on what you want to do with it and if you want a new rifle or not. How much money you have to spend matters too. An SA Inc. .308 runs nearly $1500. A CMP .30-06 runs $500 with a 60 to 90 day wait.

bobsmith
February 24, 2006, 02:49 AM
I built up a .308 Garand match rifle and darn that thing really shoots. Very good groups 10 shots in under 2" at 200 yards from prone position with shooting jacket and sling using 4064 powder and Sierra 168 Match Kings. The barrel is a Barnett on a Douglas blank from Brownells. NM Op rod and sights, new bolt, stock, gas cylinder and glass bedded. Everything fitted to NM specs. The .308 is very comfortable shooting in a Garand. Doesn't kick you around like the 30-06.

Onmilo
February 24, 2006, 09:18 AM
I own Garands in both calibers.
The .308s are finicky beasts but shoot more accurately, at least for me they do.
The .30/06 rifles are just plain fun to shoot, and let's face it, .30/06 was THE combat caliber for these rifles.
Whatever caliber you buy first, if you really like Garands, you will end up buying another rifle in the other caliber.

I am debating building a Garand in .270 or .243 Winchester but have other desires at the moment.

Skipper
February 24, 2006, 09:36 AM
Get a CMP Garand in 30-06 and shoot it. You can always re-barrel later IF you want to.
SKIP

ATAShooter
February 24, 2006, 09:57 AM
O.K. .... here's my hillbilly .02 cents....

When you say Garand, most poeple think 30-06. So, in that light...
If you want a Garand, get 30-06, If you want a .308, get an M1A. Both are Very fine weapons, I have both. ( cause I couldn't make up my mind either...)

-C4-
February 24, 2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks all.

Andrew S
February 24, 2006, 11:31 AM
Sorry to but in but you seem to have your answer and I wouldnt want to clutter the board with a new thread that has 1 simple question...

Why cant you use standard over the counter 30-06 in a Garand?

AZ Jeff
February 24, 2006, 02:34 PM
Why cant you use standard over the counter 30-06 in a Garand?
You can use SOME "over the counter" .30/06 ammo, with some caveats:
1. only use bullets with wieghts of 168 gr. or less.
2. NEVER use any ammo that is marked as "light magnum", etc.

The M1's gas system is not very tolerant of port pressures that deviate very far from the US Mil. M2 ball ammo. Many modern commerical loads are "jacked up" a bit over that, mostly by using slower burning powders. In doing so, it can raise port pressures on the M1 to the point where the operating rod can be bent.

There are a couple of ways around this;
1. create your own handloads that duplicate military ball or match ammo (often done by High Power shooters)
2. buy commercial ammo that mimics M2 ball ammo (Federal sells a 150gr FMJ load that is pretty good)
3. buy a McCann gas adjustable regulator plug that replaces the normal gas cylinder plug on the M1, to allow bleed-off of excessive port pressure.

ATAShooter
February 25, 2006, 10:17 AM
HOT DOG... you couldn't have asked this question at a better time... All this week I have been contacting ammo companies and talking to factory reps over Garand store bought ammo....

Winchester stated that they don't use any powders that are "designated" that they are Garand compatable, ( or at least they'd lay claim to ). It seemed that they "danced" around the issue, and said that the ammunition would fire. I said I knew it would fire, but would it eventually bend my op-rod? They again stated, the ammo will fire. I left it as that.

Federal ( div of ATK Alliant systems ) Was REAL nice to me and Stated they made 2 compatable cartridges that used the equiv to M2 ball burn rate powder... Federal Gold medal # GM3006M ( 168gr Sierra Matchking BTHP)
and American Eagle #AE3006N ( 150gr FMJ). They said that their other 30-06 ammo would work, but had slower rate powders.

Remington said they had 2 also - Premier Core Lokt #PRC3006C ( 150 gr ) and UMC # L30062 ( also a 150gr ). Remington told me that all the others had a real slow powder that over time would maybe pose a op rod "issue" over time if continually used.

Andrew S
February 25, 2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys.

I finally get my C&R FFL and now I am moving so I am going to have to wait even longer to get my Garands.

George S.
February 25, 2006, 10:57 AM
Once you qualify to purchase an M1 from the CMP, you can also buy ammo from them. They have large quantities of Lake City milsurp M2 ball ammo and the Greek HXP M2 ammo. Either one is very accurate and cheaper than even the Korean milsurp ammo.

How much ammo does the CMP have?? http://www.odcmp.com/images/ammo/ammo5c.JPG :eek:

Right now, the Lake City ammo is about $230 for 960 rounds (20 rounds/box) delivered to your door and the Greek ammo is either $117.00 for 480 rounds (20 rounds/box) delivered, or $206.00 for 760 rounds delivered in clips and bandoleers.

Buy a couple thousand rounds of either and save the brass for reloading. IMR has powders that closely duplicate the powder used in the military ammo and you can have a supply of suitable .30-06 ammo that will last for many years. By using the correct powder for the gas system, you will not risk destroying the op-rod or the cas system.

The CMP also has the 150gr Federal ammo that works well in Garands. It's a special run developed by Federal for the M1 and IIRC, it's used in CMP matches.

Go here: http://estore.odcmp.com/Store/catalog/catalog.aspx and click on the Ammo Surplus and Ammo Commercial tabs to get specifc info on the CMP ammo.

George S.
February 25, 2006, 11:05 AM
I finally get my C&R FFL and now I am moving so I am going to have to wait even longer to get my Garands.

You don't need a C&R to buy a Garand from the CMP. Once you meet their criteria to purchase, just fill out the order form and pay by check or credit card and they send it to your door. No FFL transfer or anything.

Here's the page that describes what it takes to buy a Garand or any other rifle the CMP sells:
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm

Andrew S
February 25, 2006, 11:13 AM
I know it isnt needed but it is what I have for my Marksmanship requirement. either way I still have to wait until the move before I can order.

M.E.Eldridge
February 25, 2006, 11:29 AM
Make sure you send a copy of your C&R to Midway USA too. They'll give ya' dealer pricing. Yay!

I've shot Garands that I borrowed in CMP competitions and I liked them, but never bought on because I was told that no commercial ammo would work safely in them or if the ammo did it would damge the rifle. That true?

I've been looking for a Norinco M14, but may just by a Garand instead.

Andrew S
February 25, 2006, 12:04 PM
Yeah I already signed up for Midway and I plan on sending them and a ton of other places copies once I move and get an address change.

-C4-
February 25, 2006, 01:51 PM
Can a new M1 Garand from Springfield take commercial ammo?

-C4-

AZ Jeff
February 27, 2006, 10:10 AM
Can a new M1 Garand from Springfield take commercial ammo?
Since nothing about the design of the commerical M1's made by Springfield is any different than those made for the US military, the ammo requirements/restrictions that apply to the real M1's also applies to the Springfield copies.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 in .308 or .30-06?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!