general sks questions

PDA

mosquito2588
February 24, 2006, 01:47 AM
saw alot in the gun store and figured i would pick one up if i got a good word from someone thats knows.....so if any of you know...how accurate is it, about how many yards is it good for with a decent scope.....and how reliable are they and how much punishment can they take and is 200 bucks too much for a used yugo in "good" condition....thanks alot

If you enjoyed reading about "general sks questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
grimjaw
February 24, 2006, 02:08 AM
Seems a little high. You can order them from AIM Surplus in 'excellent' condition for $129 + shipping and transfer. In most cases that's going to be less than $200. I've seen them go at gun shows for $150 for 'shooter' or 'good' grade. I'd shop around a bit before I paid that for a Yugo SKS.

I haven't had alot of experience with mine (1 Russian and 3 Chinese) yet to tell you how well they group, but everything I read says that even the worst of them will give you 6"-8" groups at 100 yards. Adding something like Tech-Sights (http://www.tech-sights.com/) helps (at least I hope it does, I have two of them on the way). The original design of the rifle didn't including scoping it, so it's hit or miss with that so to speak. Personally I prefer open sights on mine.

There's plenty of information online about them. I'd suggest Simonov.net (http://www.simonov.net/), SKSBoards.com (http://www.sksboards.com/forum/), or you can use the search function here with the terms Yugo and SKS (http://www.thehighroad.org/search.php?searchid=1140243).

HTH, jmm

itgoesboom
February 24, 2006, 02:13 AM
I have a chinese (norinco) SKS, and so that is what my experience is based on.

Put together a little less well than the yugos, but it has a chrome lined barrel, which the yugo lacks.

I can hit, pretty easily, 4" clay targets while leaning against my truck @ 75 yards or so. That is with cheap Wolf ammo, and the stock sights.

Reliability is excellent, as long as you use the stock 10 round mag. Sights aren't very good, but they work ok.

I.G.B.

bakert
February 24, 2006, 04:36 AM
I'm not up on current prices but I also have a Norinco SKS that I gave about $125 for new some years ago. Never tried it off a bench but out to 50 yds or so it seems pretty accurate shooting cans and dirt clods. The one I have has never had any kind of fail to fire or feeding problem with the original mag which is all I use anyway. My only complaint is the long gritty trigger pull. A good little rifle for the money.

USMCRotrHed
February 24, 2006, 05:03 AM
$125 for a Yugo (not the car) at a gun show about 4 months ago. That seemed like a fair price based on what I've seen lately.

It still can't beat the 2 I got for $75 each 13 years ago. I wish I could find the punk who stole those!

rustymaggot
February 24, 2006, 06:38 AM
rugged and dependable. easy to hit with and not hard to clean. everyone should have a sks. they are good beater rifles.

jagdpanzer347
February 24, 2006, 08:00 AM
A friend of mine just bought a unissued Yugo from AIM for 129.95. I personally don't really care for all the grenade launching equipment on it(screws up the balance). But a brand new centerfire semi-auto for a buck-thirty can't be beat.
-jagdpanzer

db_tanker
February 24, 2006, 08:11 AM
I like my little Norinco.

As has been mentioned already...it DOES lack a Match trigger, and the sights are lacking as well...

But as far as a general semi-auto beater rifle...you can't do any worse than one of these.

dfaugh
February 24, 2006, 09:47 AM
Every one should own at least one:D !

armoredman
February 24, 2006, 09:51 AM
I get 6 inch groups at 100 yards with my Yugo, but I am betting my overcrimped reloads are casuing that. Will find out tomorrow!
We have two Yugos - great rifles! "Unissued" condition, (re arsenalled) delivered for $161 and change from J&G Sales.

Limeyfellow
February 24, 2006, 10:04 AM
The good thing about the SKS is you can slap on the likes of tech-sight rear sight and that really helps your aim right there.

The only match trigger maker, that really helps with the SKS are these.

http://www.kivaari.com/SKS%20Target%20Match.htm

Most scope mounts for the SKS we see are cheap nasty jobs. You need a decent side mount to really keep a good stable and then its rarely worth it.

MechAg94
February 24, 2006, 10:35 AM
I have seen used, crappy Yugos for under $100. The better ones go for $100 to $150. $200 is okay it is the one without the grenade launcher or another brand, but not the common Yugos. J&G Sales is another one. They advertise a lot in Shotgun News and have a decent web site. I've never ordered from them though. I bought my SKS at a gun show in Houston last fall for $125. It is probably good condition, not great, but pretty good.

Tech Sights are great. I have one mounted. Gives you a foot or so more sight radius and a nice peep sight to aim with. I had to get that mounted since my sights were off so much that I could not adjust windage enough to shoot point of aim. As it is, the Tech Sight is still adjusted most of the way to the left with the front sights to the right. With that, it does shoot accurately.

Huntzman
February 24, 2006, 12:42 PM
While they are not going to put hole in hole on a target, they are fun to shoot. I encourage you to pick one up and have fun. The nice thing is that recoil is so light on my Yugo, that the kids enjoy shooting it.

As for the prrice, I agree $200 is way to high. Find yourself am FFl that will do the transfer and get your self aan unissued one from AIM for a lot less: http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_Model_59_66_7_62x39_SKS_Rifle.html

Think of the ammo you can buy....... when it becomes available :banghead:

mosquito2588
February 24, 2006, 03:00 PM
Think of the ammo you can buy....... when it becomes available .......are you saying this because ammo is not readily available???

Limeyfellow
February 24, 2006, 03:23 PM
Alot of the ammo right now is being bought up by the military and sent to equip Iraqi and Afghanistani forces and various other warzones are buying, so they are struggling a bit to keep up with demand. They should have some more imported though soon enough.

grimjaw
February 24, 2006, 03:43 PM
mosquito2588, there used to be really good deals on 7.62x39 ammunition, but you don't see them as abundantly as you did before the most recent conflict in Iraq. You can still find the ammunition just not in bulk, and often for close to what you pay for other caliber ammunition. This matters more to the AK crowd (I count myself amongst them), who generally have larger capacity magazines to blow through.

Side note: I sat through a range session two weeks ago where some guy and his brother went through about ten 30-round magazines of 7.62x39, shooting from the hip rapidly and trying to bump fire. I think they got twenty shots on paper at 20 yards. This is apparently not uncommon. I'm beginning to wonder if the shortage is really due to that sort of thing. :scrutiny:

jmm

pinetree64
February 25, 2006, 09:20 AM
I love my Yugo - "unissued". I believe it was $149 awhile back from AIM. Find a pawn shop or gun shop that does a lot of of business and see how much they charge to order you a gun. I have a C&R, but the recently used the local pawn to order a FN Hi-power. They only charged $10.

I sold my SAR 1 to buy the SKS. Should have kept the SAR and still bought the SKS. I find the SKS a much better value. The work is milled rather than stamped. The gun is plenty accurate for short range hunting, personal defense. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. While having the grenade launcher isn't wanted, it does have benefits as decreased muzzle rise, decreased recoil and these rifle come with rubber recoil pads.

Since I have a C&R, no mods for me, but there are a ton of accessories.

tjg

If you enjoyed reading about "general sks questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!