Buddy needs a gun answer: get new wife

PDA

Brian Williams
January 3, 2003, 08:01 AM
Why do some of us answer when we are given a question i.e. my buddy wants a gun what should he get, his wife says only one?

Why do we recommend that the buddy dispose of the wife? I love my wife and she keeps alot of the finance stuff and if I went ahead and bought any gun I wanted we would not be anywhere except knee deep in bills and no ammo money.

Just cause a Wife/ Husband limits us it is not a reason to dump them.
I quess it is our disposable society, Too bad
:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Buddy needs a gun answer: get new wife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spacemanspiff
January 3, 2003, 08:33 AM
you could always tell the lovely wife that she should only buy shoes one at a time. :evil:

foghornl
January 3, 2003, 10:18 AM
you could always tell the lovely wife that she should only buy shoes one at a time

Last time I tried that line, along with a reference to Imelda Marcos
....................:cuss: :banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :fire:

Kahr carrier
January 3, 2003, 10:25 AM
No need to get a new wife,just get her into shooting.:evil:

2nd Amendment
January 3, 2003, 10:27 AM
It's not a reason to get a new spouse. OTOH it always makes me wonder how this sort of attitude shows up in other facets of the marriage. I never tell my wife what she can or can not do or buy and she returns the courtesy. We may discuss some things if they are large purchases and even decide we don't really need it, but to merely decree? No.

I don't understand her fascination with GWTW stuff. I have learned to appreciate the beauty and craft of some of it, though. She didn't understand my desire to have guns(or cars) galore but she's learned to enjoy the cars and become a fierce 2A proponent. If she comes up with some new interest I'll adapt and so will she for me. It's this unwillingness to accept the others wants that baffles me and I have to assume it shows up across the board in the relationship.

If so it may be the tip of the reason to get a new spouse.

Blackhawk
January 3, 2003, 10:29 AM
It's still early, but this is a candidate for "Useless thread of the day." :D

Brian Williams
January 3, 2003, 10:50 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1628

the above was the thread I saw and it sound like the wife knew what bills they had and considering he is in school that would be the first priority to pay off that school bill

At least she is going to allow him to get one and the shoe argument is stupid.

Some of us boneheads were recommending a full race 1911 to somebody in school, let him get his education and enjoy some shooting cheaply then when he has a good job he can enhance his collection and shooting ability, along with keeping marriage intact. He just might get her shooting, then he has another shooting buddy and maybe some little buddies to bring up and shoot also

we need to keep the Families in our country solid.

whoami
January 3, 2003, 11:06 AM
Why do we recommend that the buddy dispose of the wife? I love my wife and she keeps alot of the finance stuff and if I went ahead and bought any gun I wanted we would not be anywhere except knee deep in bills and no ammo money.

Just cause a Wife/ Husband limits us it is not a reason to dump them. I quess it is our disposable society, Too bad

I do not believe it has to do with our 'disposable society' at all. I think it has to do much more with things that we have encountered and experienced as gun owners.

To wax personal for a moment...I'm sure at this point my mother despairs of my ever being able to 'find the right someone'. During those discussions, the topic came up of how unwilling I am to compromise regarding a few of my likes and dislikes, especially firearms. She used much the same logic as is used on this thread, respecting divergent interests, etc. As I informed her, there is a HUGE GULF OF DIFFERENCE between divergent interests on, say, a wife with an obsession on collectibles, than with a husband with a passion for firearms. I don't know of too many other legal hobbies that a simple phone call can have one imprisoned and turned into a felon. How many horror stories have been posted on the many firearms boards here, where a member has been completely destroyed by their spouse, where ownership of firearms was used against them?

It's a knee-jerk reaction, in a sense out of fear. A lot of the wives in these stories expressed similar such positions on firearms.....you can have them, but not in the house...you can only have one...etc. Yes, it may very well be limiting....but it could also very much be disapproval. And if the friction out of that disapproval causes the wife to do something drastic, well then....instead of one gun now it will be no guns for the rest of your life. It may not be meant as a serious 'divorce her now'....but more of a warning to be on the lookout of what to expect. Anyone who's been around a divorce knows the benefits a man can get from a pre-emptive strike.

To once again wax personal...for the period of one month, every time I read a post on any of the gun boards I frequent about an issue with a spouse/significant other involving firearms issues or confiscations, I printed them out, and handed them to my mother...who happens to be probably a more traditional Catholic than the Pope. After a while, she looked at me and said that there'd be no way in hell she'd be getting married without a prenup (a pretty big no-no regarding Church law).....

10-Ring
January 3, 2003, 11:10 AM
Why do we recommend that the buddy dispose of the wife?

I do it as a not so funny joke....ha ha

My gun collection really took a big boost after I got rid of my ball & chain :what:

All weak attempts at humor :uhoh:

Blackhawk
January 3, 2003, 11:17 AM
Okay, I'll play.Why do some of us answer when we are given a question i.e. my buddy wants a gun what should he get, his wife says only one?

Why do we recommend that the buddy dispose of the wife? "We" obviously refers to either SOME who made pathetic attempts at humor or SOME immature mentally defective chowderheads who were serious, but NOT to "we" meaning the collective THR community.

Pondering why people say stupid things is like wondering why the chicken crossed the road. If you can get paid for it, you'll never be out of work....

Redlg155
January 3, 2003, 11:40 AM
Need more guns? Simple. Well..at least it is for me.

I got another job with the understanding that this job is not for bills, except in emergency, but that is job is for US.

I get half the check to spend on what I so desire. She gets the other half.

This works out really well for us since my wife can't get out of the house to find employment. She does more than her share of work raising our four kids and homeschooling them.

As for folks replying "Get another wife?" more than likely comes from single guys. I don't think any sane man would get rid of a lady he loves simply because of that, unless he was looking for an excuse to ditch her already.

There are many other ways to skin a cat. How can she object to your new gun when she has a new pearl necklace on her neck?

Good Shooting
Red

spacemanspiff
January 3, 2003, 12:27 PM
of course, some of us might be willing to take the wife off your hands if you decide to trade her in.

okay, some of us DESPERATE losers might be willing to do that.

ummm, before i commit myself to anything, can you send a pic of your wife? thanks, you're a pal.:D

PATH
January 3, 2003, 01:33 PM
There is no pat answer to a question like this. I personally will buy what I want when I want. My wife knows I am not going to spend the mortgage money buying firearms.

The problems encountered with firearms might be percieved in the dating stage. How important are your firearms to you. Let the future bride know. Possibly get her involved in shooting. Reasonable people can come to an accomodation, If folks can't reason things out well maybe the marriage is not a good one.

Hell, in the end I'll discuss things with my wife but I won't take ultimatums.

waynzwld
January 3, 2003, 02:02 PM
I have a little story from when I was married. I would work odd jobs to make extra money for my hobbies. Whenever I would want to get a new gun, the "wife" (not what I would like to call her :p ) would raise holy "you know what" about a $200 to $300 purchase. Well when I finally decided I would help with bookeeping, since she worked so hard and was trying to start a small business, I found out she was spending $300 to $600 EACH MONTH on her hair and cosmetics with our pooled money. One of the many reasons I divorced her

Onslaught
January 3, 2003, 02:21 PM
If your wife won't allow you to buy a handgun, then you shouldn't dispose of her... you should kick yourself in the arse for marrying her in the first place!!!

And I'm very serious about that too. So many people get married because their wife was pretty, or because they had this one thing in common, or whatever... and they overlook all the disfunctional traits of the relationship until it's too late. It seems like a lot of folks think that it's better than being alone. :uhoh:

I had a buddy at work once that said he really wanted a motorcycle, but his girlfriend "wouldn't let him have one". I told him to RUN, don't walk, away from her as fast as he can and never look back. I doubt he listened, but he'll remember me in 5 years if they get married.

If your wife tells you you CAN'T have something, or YOU tell HER that she CAN'T do something that is otherwise a reasonable thing (in other words, not counting seeing another man/woman, etc.. for all the smart arses ;) ) then there is SOMETHING WRONG with that relationship!

There are 2 adults in a marriage... equal partners. When one feels the need to be the "supervisor" of the other person, or when one person allows the other to dominate and dictate their lives, there is A PROBLEM, and DIVORCE is definitely an option! Counseling is another, but from my experience, the dominating spouse in a relationship always says "counceling is useless" or "I'll never go to a shrink", etc... They're afraid of losing control, or being told that they're wrong...

So if your wife told you that you CAN'T have a gun, or that you can ONLY HAVE ONE gun, then I GUARANTEE you that's not the only problem that relationship has... Either LOTS of conflict, or LOTS of eggshell walking.

But in all fairness, if your wife tells you you can only have ONE, because if she didn't, you'd spend the bill money on your toys, then YOU have the problem, and should learn a little responsibility and self control...

:neener:

4v50 Gary
January 3, 2003, 02:36 PM
Both Perfessr & Waynzwrld brings up good points. Stay within your financial limits and take care of your expenses. Don't overspend as it could result in losing everything. Watch your finances since you don't your SO to waste it junk either (fair is fair honey. $50 this month for bullets, $50 this month for your, ahem, needs).

Onslaught
January 3, 2003, 02:47 PM
Now that I've vented... :)

I'm certainly not saying that married couples should do as they please without consideration of the other. In fact, true communication is paramount, and all too often absent from relationships. The frying pan toting wife is such a comical part of our culture, that in some places, especially in the South, it's downright expected.

I do think that a "fun money" job is an excellent idea. I have the wonderful opportunity to assist a Private Eye from time to time... either delivering civil summons, or staking out a cheating spouse, etc... That money is mine mine mine, and I don't even "discuss" my purchases before making them. We do, however, discuss any purchases over $50 or $100 that aren't neccessarily needs, since we just had a baby.

But on the other hand, there will ALWAYS be bills... so sometimes "Instead of you buying that blah, we could spend that money on the blah payment" is a downright selfish copout. If you don't spend any money on recreation because you use that money to get ahead on bills instead... you'll never do anything fun, and your whole life will be boring until you retire... if you live that long :D

I just see so many of those relationships I was venting about... (close friends, family members, etc...) that it's definitely a sensitive spot. "No, you can't have that new driver you want, because I just bought another ring for each finger of my hand, and got my nails done up with little beach scenes on them, so we can't afford it!".

ball3006
January 3, 2003, 03:00 PM
one at a time.....LOL.....If she asked the question, only one? I reply you mean I can buy more? Works everytime....chris3

pax
January 3, 2003, 03:01 PM
Onslaught nailed it.

Marriage is not slavery. You wife doesn't own you, and you don't own her.

The thing to keep in mind is that your choices are your own, not hers. You do not need her permission, but you might discover that some part of you needs her approval. But if either she or you -- or both -- believes that you need her permission, then there may be something serious wrong in the relationship. *shrug* Your life, your choices.

pax

It has been said that a bride's attitude towards her betrothed can be summed up in three words: Aisle. Altar. Hymn. -- Frank Muir

Mastrogiacomo
January 3, 2003, 03:09 PM
I don't understand what the big deal is? Prior to getting married you need to make your partner aware that you shoot guns for a hobby. No surprises. As far as the one gun deal -- stupid. :neener: As long as you're not financially strapped, and your using your own money with what ever you do to afford a little extra on the side, it's YOUR money. Buy whatever in the Hell you want, just buy and store safely. If you're responsible with your money and responsible about your guns, how can she complain? Marriage is about compromise, and if she's limiting what you can do in your spare time, you need to talk...

In your place (as a woman gun lover), do what I do. Buy and keep it to yourself. What's she going to do, break into your gun safe and check?:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Buddy needs a gun answer: get new wife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!