Mystery barrel in my Colt!

PDA

ArmsAkimber
January 3, 2003, 08:06 AM
I purchased a used Colt Combat Commander that has a barrel with a rollmark reading "SLM 45ACP." Who, or what, is SLM?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mystery barrel in my Colt!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kahr carrier
January 3, 2003, 10:51 AM
Probably an aftermarket replacement barrel ,do a web search and see what you come up with.:what:

JoeHatley
January 3, 2003, 10:58 AM
SLM = Storm Lake Machine, I think, maybe...

Joe

GrandmasterB
January 3, 2003, 03:24 PM
Yep, Storm Lake Machine. Good barrels!

4v50 Gary
January 3, 2003, 09:16 PM
Colt subcontracts out for their 1911 barrels now?

blades67
January 3, 2003, 09:18 PM
He said he bought it used. Sounds like the previous owner replaced the original.

ArmsAkimber
January 4, 2003, 07:28 AM
Storm Lake Machine?! Thank you very much! Thanks JoeHatley and GrandmasterB.

I sent this firearm to Colt because of reliability problems. It was experiencing numerous FTF. They sent it back with a new barrel bushing :scrutiny: , and kept the "original bushing" (it had "SLM" on it as well). The gun still experienced FTFs.

So, at that point, I was out the SLM bushing matched to the SLM barrel, paid $70 to Colt, and had gotten nowhere :fire: .

I made the mistake of not sending the magazines to Colt with the gun. I put some Wolff +10% springs in the two Wilson Combat magazines, and the FTF frequency was reduced. I purchased a Mec-Gar 8 round magazine, and the FTF problem disappeared completely :p !

The gun is still very accurate, but I am a little burned-up over losing the matched SLM bushing. Now that I know the manufacturer of the barrel, I will request of Storm Lake Machine to sell me a replacement bushing. I expect I will have to send the barrel to them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mystery barrel in my Colt!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!