Some Sick Joke?

PDA

general
April 15, 2003, 11:17 AM
The Denver Post - Entertainment 4/14/03 (http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E78%257E1321618,00.html)
Filmmakers Caesar the moment
Success of ‘Gladiator’ unleashes a legion of ‘toga movies’
By Hugh Hart, Special to The Denver Post
LOS ANGELES - Nothing inspires Hollywood like a half-billion-dollar box office and a best-picture Oscar. Behold the spawn of "Gladiator." .............

.......yadayadyadya............Here it is.....

George Clooney is producing and will likely appear in "Gates of Fire" (Universal Studios) about the Battle of Thermopylae. Michael Mann ("Ali," "The Insider") will direct the script from David Self ("Road to Perdition").

Spartan inspiration

That very same Battle of Thermopylae in which a brigade of Spartan soldiers held off 2 million Persian invaders at a mountain pass north of Athens in 480 B.C., also inspired an earlier film. The year was 1960, the picture was called "The 300 Spartans," and "toga movies" were all the rage. And now, stories of events two milleniums ago seem fresh again, thanks in large part to the smashing 2000 success of "Gladiator."

Please tell me this is a very sick joke! :what: :barf:
George Clooney??.... My A:cuss: This guy wouldn't know the whole point of the story......Can you believe this!?!??

If you enjoyed reading about "Some Sick Joke?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
April 15, 2003, 03:12 PM
That's seven and a half miles west of weird.

Soap
April 15, 2003, 03:16 PM
This is just the trillionith piece of evidence that Hollywood is jam packed with people who have opinions and no knowledge.

BigG
April 15, 2003, 03:44 PM
I thought Richard Egan made a good Leonidas back in the 1960 movie.

cslinger
April 15, 2003, 03:55 PM
Sometimes you just have to shake your head and go Huh?

:(

Yohan
April 15, 2003, 03:56 PM
There's a reason his profession is called acting. I say you should deal with it.

jhisaac1
April 15, 2003, 04:01 PM
I'm sorry to take the seriousness of this thread down a notch or two, but while I was thinking of who should be in the movie, Keaneu Reeves came to mind for a split second....

[2 million persions come marching down the road]

<keaneu>
Whoa.
</keaneu>

We now return you to the appropriate level of mirth.

Jhisaac1

4v50 Gary
April 15, 2003, 04:32 PM
It was only the Royal bodyguard and 298 at that (2 had to excuse themselves before the big fite). Great story, but I dread what Hollywood would do with it. Can you imagine the prequel? Marathon. Sequel: Salamis with triemes. Princeton & the Greek navy each have a real one so there'll be computer generated triremes and lots of them.

TarpleyG
April 15, 2003, 05:09 PM
I would bet they even use the term "molon labe" or elude to it in some other way.

GT

Tamara
April 15, 2003, 05:19 PM
George Clooney may be a lefty-lib Hollywood poofter, but he did a durn good job in Three Kings. I may think that the man's politics honk, but that doesn't equate him being bad at his job.

rock jock
April 15, 2003, 05:34 PM
If I hear George Looney use our rallying cry Molon Labe , I swear I am going to hurl.:barf:

asdaf
April 15, 2003, 05:48 PM
I'm going to guess that hollywood just might keep the use of archaic Greek to a minimum. Remember, they're aiming for the lowest common denominator. There will be a catch phrase all right but it will be something modern and oh so clever. Something along the lines of "I'll be back" or "Do I make you horny, Babe?".

Preacherman
April 15, 2003, 06:23 PM
There will be a catch phrase all right but it will be something modern and oh so clever.I can see it now... George Clooney lifting someone's toga (or whatever they wore) and commenting "Gee, at least on ER the nurses wore underwear!!!" :D :D :D

XLMiguel
April 15, 2003, 06:45 PM
Poofter - good word, Tam. I agree that he's apretty good actor, but like so many of us, he could learn from the notion that it is better to be quiet and be thought a fool, than open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

If they do, indeed, use "molon labe', we out to send them some TFL/THR apparel and thank them for the pub, via Fox News or some other 'media' outlet.:D

blades67
April 15, 2003, 09:26 PM
Free publicity is good, but they have to pay for the gear. :neener:

Stevie-Ray
April 15, 2003, 10:39 PM
If I hear George Looney use our rallying cry Molon Labe , I swear I am going to hurl. :D :D :D

Yeah, he's a good actor, but in real life I'd like to break.........never mind.

Schuey2002
April 15, 2003, 10:45 PM
What's Molon Labe! going to mean in this movie..

"Come and take them!" :barf: :barf:

ares88
April 15, 2003, 10:49 PM
Ummm.... what does Molon Labe mean. I'm guessing it's Latin.

Hey, at least I know what DVC means.;)

Schuey2002
April 15, 2003, 11:06 PM
"Come and get them!"

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

:)

Jim March
April 16, 2003, 12:25 AM
jhisaac1: I almost died laughing at "Keanu" :D.

As to George Clooney, what we're gonna get is "Moron Labe!"

:rolleyes:

ed dixon
April 16, 2003, 01:17 AM
I heard about a year ago that Clooney bought the rights to the book. Maybe it'll actually be good. Thought Jane's ex actually did a good job with "Gettysburg," so hold out some hope. I tried to read the book a couple years ago but didn't finish it.

Matt G
April 16, 2003, 03:01 AM
That's really odd and scarey. On the other hand, it's a really great story of heroism, and Clooney & The Gang would love to think of themselves as such.

I keep wanting to see a good movie representation of the tale of Horatius at the Bridge. Anyone know of a good version?

(B.T.W., single guys-- take heed: a really GOOD reading of "Horatius at the Bridge" from Macaulay's Lays of Ancient Rome can advance your seduction of a woman who appreciates true Manliness, in the most amazing ways. Thank me later. Remember to use this power only for good...) ;)

faustulus
April 16, 2003, 07:49 AM
Greeks didn't wear togas, that was the romans.

Snowdog
April 16, 2003, 08:34 AM
I recall the only account of the battle of Thermopylae was by Herodotus, who recorded the event several years afterwards. I could have sworn Herodotus put the number of Spartans at 10,000 and Xerxes' Persian invaders at 150,000... not two million.

Anyway, I'd be tempted to see the movie just for the special effects.

David Roberson
April 16, 2003, 10:28 AM
You're right, Snowdog. Modern estimates of Leonidas' forces, including the Spartans, are slightly over 7,000, while Xerxes' forces are estimated at between 250,000 and 400,000.

In any event, it was an impressive stand.

If you haven't read the book "Gates of Fire," it's well worth a visit to the bookstore. It's available in paperback.

Johnny Guest
April 16, 2003, 01:35 PM
Matt G wrote, “ . . .a really GOOD reading of "Horatius at the Bridge" from Macaulay's Lays of Ancient Rome can advance your seduction of a woman who appreciates true Manliness, . . .”
Do you mean, something like:

Then spake bold Horatius, the captain of the gate.
“To every man born on this earth,
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds
For the ashes or his fathers
And the temples of his gods? . . .

In yon strait gate, a thousand
May well be stayed by three.
Now who will stand by my right hand,
And keep the bridge with me?”

I used to recall more, but memory fails. That one ranks right up there with Harry’s address to the troops before Agincourt, from ole Will’s Henry V, act 5, scene 5. We few, we happy few, we Band of Brothers . . . . Probably even better, because Thomas Babington (lord) Macaulay is a bit more obscure than Shakespeare. ;)

Best,
JPG

general
April 16, 2003, 09:43 PM
<keaneu>Whoa.</keaneu>
Harharharharharharharhar! Whoa! Harharharhar!
I agree that he's a pretty good actor, but like so many of us, he could learn from the notion that it is better to be quiet and be thought a fool, than open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
I Agree. (Should I shut up now?)
I may think that the man's politics honk, but that doesn't equate him being bad at his job.
I don't doubt his ability to do his job. I have enjoyed some of his work. I do, however, equate his politics and his choice of material as an offense to my sensibilities. It's as if Lewinski was cast as Mary. Klinton as Madison. Hillary as Ross . I doubt it will make it past concept.

twoblink
April 17, 2003, 03:39 AM
You know, there are certain events that steal brain cells from you; brain cells that you will never get back, and you are dumber for it..

This, was/is/will be one of those events...

moa
April 17, 2003, 05:10 PM
So, if the Persians outnumbered the Greeks so overwhelmingly, how come they lost the war to the Greeks? I cannot remember why.

Anybody know?

Owen
April 17, 2003, 07:27 PM
Lots of reasons.

The persian soldiers were unmotivated slaves, much like the persian soldiers in the late unpleasantness.

The greeks were citizens. They voted. They elected their generals, so they had confidence in their leaders.

The greeks trained in close order drill maniacly.(they invented it AFAIK) and fought in closed ranks. When Greek armies fought other greek armies, it was generally a shoving match. When greek armies fought eastern armies it was a slaughter, over and over and over. The greek soldiers job was to ... do his job. The persian soldiers job was to kill the other guy. That leads to teamwork over a mob of induhviduals (thanks Scott Adams).

For more, read "Carnage and Culture" by Victor Davis Hanson.

They talk about the battle of Salamis, Cannae, and Gaugemela as well as other major battles.

The premise of the book is why Western Culture is so good at war, and alost always crushes non western opponents.

Tag
April 17, 2003, 08:12 PM
"The Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield is one of my favorite books. I think I've read it about 6 times.

Anything Hollywood tries to do with this story will be little more than a mockery. They have butchered The Lord of the Rings...

:scrutiny:

Coincidentally, the only story in recent memory that went from book to film, with any integrity, was "The Perfect Storm" by Sebastian Junger... starring none other than George Clooney. So maybe it will be ok?

faustulus
April 18, 2003, 02:56 AM
Anything Hollywood tries to do with this story will be little more than a mockery. They have butchered The Lord of the Rings...

I have to disagree there, Peter Jackson did a wonderful job with the Lord of the Rings. No it wasn't word for word from the book, but that isn't a bad thing.

Coincidentally, the only story in recent memory that went from book to film, with any integrity, was "The Perfect Storm" by Sebastian Junger... starring none other than George Clooney.

No offense but did you read the book?
The movie was horrible and followed the book about as closely Demi Moore's version of The Scarlet Letter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Some Sick Joke?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!