An internal frame is a wonderful thing

PDA

NMshooter
February 25, 2006, 06:35 PM
I have had an Eagle AIII pack for many years, it was what replaced my ALICE medium (without frame) as a daypack. The difference in comfort was night and day. The AIII was so much better, especially with the sternum strap and waist belt.

Eagle also sells an internal frame sheet for $20.

I just picked one up, and it was the best $20 I ever spent.

Hardly felt the load I was packing, and I was moving fast today.:D

So if you are having trouble with your load, you might consider getting some sort of frame (internal or external), or switching to a pack with a frame.

If you enjoyed reading about "An internal frame is a wonderful thing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Infidel
February 25, 2006, 06:58 PM
Anyone using an Alice pack is a certified masochist.

MSGT9410
February 25, 2006, 07:04 PM
Anyone using an Alice pack is a certified masochist.

*slowly raises hand*

I've got a medium ALICE, with a frame. It's my 72 hour pack for GSAR-ex/missions. Maybe I'm just used to it, but it doesn't really bother me that much.

Telperion
February 25, 2006, 07:22 PM
Sounds good, now if I can just get the folks at Lightfighter to deliver my RAID pack... :D

NMshooter
February 25, 2006, 07:26 PM
Big difference between ALICE with and without the frame.

Off the frame, well, I was not certified, or certifiable (:uhoh: ;) ), but it was not the most comfortable pack I ever wore.

The ALICE on the frame, especially with some of the new shoulder straps available, and a waist belt, is not bad.

No more truly heavy loads for me if I can avoid them, regardless of the pack.

ETA: Yep, that should be a good one! Just make sure you get the waist belt, do not remember if that one comes with one or not...

Infidel
February 25, 2006, 07:52 PM
The only pack I've ever tried that was more uncomfortable than an Alice pack, with or without the "frame", was an Army packboard with a PRC-25 attached.

Modern internal frame packs are a whole nother world. I have and use and like Mountainsmith, Osprey, and Kelty.

NMshooter
February 25, 2006, 08:09 PM
PRC-25? Better you than me...;)

Things have improved drastically, even since I was in.:)

I like not having to carry anything heavy anymore.

rero360
February 25, 2006, 10:02 PM
I hear you there, no that I'm a MP, no more 100 plus pound rucks through the woods, after 5 and a half years of humping the grunt's load I think I've earned my Humvee, nothing worse than a large size alice with winter gear and a singars (sp) with two of everything. that was rough.

If you enjoyed reading about "An internal frame is a wonderful thing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!