Trading a Gun

PDA

Pain
April 15, 2003, 01:47 PM
First of all, I'de like to thank the forum members for quickly helping me arrive at my descision to trade my Taurus for The Sig., But I have one Final question that I have to ask (for now). What paperwork If any is needed to trade? I live in Texas( if this helps.)
What assures me that my handun still registered to me after trading it does'nt end up in a crime some how and I be held liable. Surely telling the cops Oh i traded that thing off is'nt going to be sufficient, if it was used in a shooting or something. How can I verify the one Im getting was'nt stolen and my friend bought it, does'nt know it's stolen and trades it to me. Then I have to use it to protect myself and get arrested for having a stolen hangun. Thanx again as usual for your help in advance. Pain

If you enjoyed reading about "Trading a Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ajacobs
April 15, 2003, 02:51 PM
Just get a reciept from the person you traded it to. ! for each of you and both of you sign it. I bought a gun at a gunshow very cheap (I should have known) it was from someone walking around so there was no paperwork. I fixed up the gun and sold it to a shop on a trade. It came back as being stolen out of a UPS routing center. I never even received a in person visit from the detectives. I suppose it helps that I had never worked for ups or been to OK. I did not have a receipt and only a faint description of the guy I got it from. Never went any farther than that.

10-Ring
April 15, 2003, 03:42 PM
Here in CA, you have to complete a trade by going trough a dealer, pay your dros fees, going through 10 day wait & completing the registration process. :( I'm sure someone from your neck of the woods knows the process that best applies to you.
Congrats on the new SIG! :cool:

Ebbtide
April 15, 2003, 09:41 PM
My understanding of Ohio law is a private sale needs not go thru any govt. clearinghouse, so to speak.

It is a good idea to get a bill of sale for yourself.

Not that this applies in your area, just pointing out to make sure what YOUR laws are.

I was going to respond to your original thread but you had you answer.

Hope this helps and hope the sig serves you well,

ehenz

Pain
April 17, 2003, 11:13 AM
As usual guys Thanx for the help.

uglymofo
April 17, 2003, 12:13 PM
Back in the days before Feinstein, I sold a 1911 at a local gun show on a Friday. I got a receipt. No transfer paperwork was ever filled out. The gun was confiscated in Washington D.C. on the following Monday in a shootout.

Tuesday morning the FBI came to my work looking for me. They told me the story, I told them what I'd done with the gun, and for some reason they believed me and agreed to let it go, and meet me at my house that night. I showed them the receipt which had the buyer's name business address, driver's license number (and home address from it). I've never heard from the Feds since. By the way, I got the driver's license info from the buyer only at my insistence. I suppose now we know why he was so reluctant. Even in those days there was a 5-day waiting period for sales.

cratz2
April 17, 2003, 04:05 PM
Honestly, I've traded very few guns to individuals locally. Maybe three tops. I've found I get better values selling on the internet and then of course, they'd be going through a dealer.

The few times I have traded, I just take two copies detailing the trade/sale and have us both sign. After the trade, I jot down a description of the person and the car they were in. If someone comes along with the other party, I describe them as well.

George Hill
April 17, 2003, 05:38 PM
Bill of sale should be something like this:

Seller's information
Name
Address
Phone Number

Firearm in question is sold to:

Buyer's Information
Name
Address
Phone Number

Sale/Trade was done on
Date
Time

Signature of Seller
Signature of Buyer

That's all you need.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trading a Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!