New XD. Ugly Pistols

PDA

musky hunter
April 15, 2003, 01:32 PM
I just saw the new XD finishes. They are one of the ugliest pistols i have seen in a long time. The color and the designs dont match at all.http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/XD9301Large.jpg
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/XD9211Large.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "New XD. Ugly Pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
emann
April 15, 2003, 01:39 PM
Don't look bad to me, besides variety is the spice of life. Something out there for everyone. Good idea. ;)

OF
April 15, 2003, 01:40 PM
They're hideous.

- Gabe

musky hunter
April 15, 2003, 01:45 PM
i would much rather have the all black. The all green model is disgusting. :banghead: :cuss: :barf:

JPoe
April 15, 2003, 02:16 PM
:rolleyes: Puh-lease... I think the Bi-Tone looks pretty damn sharp! So much so that I BOUGHT one. "The color and the designs don't match"??? What does that even mean? Oh well... I guess how a gun "looks" to someone is purely subjective. There's no denying it's a GREAT pistol though. It's latest praise comes in the form of the "Handgun of the Year" award from the NRA's American Rifleman publication:

http://www.hs2000talk.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003156

To each his own...

USGuns
April 15, 2003, 02:31 PM
Everyone always harps on how ugly the Ruger P-Series is but the XDs have got to take the cake. Can there be any more incoherent cuts/shapes/angles? Looks like each major part of the gun was designed by different people with absolutely no communication with each other. :scrutiny:

Not that ugly guns can't still shoot well! ;)

10-Ring
April 15, 2003, 02:38 PM
To each his own! I like the all black, but if they can generate more sales w/ color changes, t more power to them ;)

12 Volt Man
April 15, 2003, 03:19 PM
These guns seem to be getting good reviews everywhere. I picked one up last week. It is OD with a black slide. I wish I would have waited for the all OD model. To me it looks great. I also like the OD Springfield 1911's. I guess I just have to be different :)
My XD was as accurate as my CZ's on the first outing. It was a joy to shoot. Cheap Highcaps!!! I really believe they will give Glock a run for their money once they can prove to have the durability that Glock has.

cool45auto
April 15, 2003, 03:21 PM
USGuns: Mmmmmmmm......MK23.

That all green XD is gonna have to grow on me.

NevadaPistolero
April 15, 2003, 03:38 PM
Personally I love the new OD looking Xds. The XD is the best handgun on the market today and Im proud to be an XD owner. Now if you want to talk ugly...just take a look at a Glock....YUCK.
All it takes is to shoot an XD and your sold. Me thinks I hear a little sarcasm from some about the XD, a gun they probably never even handled much less shot.:D

WhoKnowsWho
April 15, 2003, 04:15 PM
I really like the two tone one, I like it much better than the standard blued model.

The green one makes me want to add to the green color with my puke... yuck.

Akurat
April 15, 2003, 04:23 PM
Yes, the stainless (or is it Nickel?) looks great IMO. I could have gone without seeing that olive drab monstrosity though..

shooter.45
April 15, 2003, 04:57 PM
I have the 2tone one Stainless with black frame. And I must say this gun shoots great very accurate so far. not one problem either. I have seen worse and besides mine is to shoot not to look at! :D

benewton
April 15, 2003, 04:58 PM
Gotta agree with the ugly side, although, for the most part, I usually care about function, not looks.

That being the case, I gotta do a relook on the Ruger!

isaidme
April 15, 2003, 06:12 PM
I agree only because I hate the but ugly loaded chamber indicator on the back of the slide!:barf:

Shweboner
April 15, 2003, 07:09 PM
I have the OD w. black slide...

I think it is one damn fine lookin gun!

Although I agree that the stainless slide does look out of place on the XD, and the ALL OD one will take some time. But I cant say that they are ugly... just different.
They have nice lines though... what other finishes might they come out with... possibly something similar to what KelTec does.

~Brian

ElrodCod
April 15, 2003, 07:39 PM
isaidme,
That's the cocked striker indicator, the loaded chamber indicator is on top of the slide.

oldpaladin
April 15, 2003, 07:48 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I must confess I'm a bit confused as to the worth of this thread. "Subjective" is the only term that best describes this thread. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," a very wise man once opined. True then, now, always. I've owned many types, brands, and calibers of weapons. This, the Springfield Armory XD series of pistol, is certainly not "ugly." "Ugly" is something that does not work, or fails miserably when needed. The SA-XD is a thing of beauty to these tired old eyes. It not only promises to be dependable, reliable, and trustworthy, it is. There are many of Man's creations around that boast and promise- but do not deliver. The SA-XD is better than it's press clippings. Were that it were true for other weapons, or people. Function follows form- not only in engineering, but in life. Would that other works of "art," were so blessed.

Carter, oldpaladin, out...

SouthpawShootr
April 15, 2003, 08:05 PM
I don't know, kind of like the look 2 tone XD. A local gunshop has one that I'm currently trying to ignore. If nobody buys it soon, I may have to offer a home. The OD just isn't my cup of tea. Give it time guys. Ugly guns have grown on me before. I used to think Glocks were hideous. I now have 6. My XD, though will not replace my beloved G19 as a primary carry gun.

nsf003
April 15, 2003, 08:24 PM
I also like the look of the two tone.

nsf

George Hill
April 15, 2003, 08:32 PM
http://www.esm.ucsb.edu/images/KermitOnBox.jpg
"Well, I like... oh never mind." - Kermit

New_comer
April 15, 2003, 08:45 PM
The green one looks like a water pistol, IMO.

Though reputed to be great guns, the samples shown do look ugly. :p :D

Ebbtide
April 15, 2003, 08:46 PM
I did not want to bring it up, but now that the seal is broken, boy are they U G L Y.

But to each his own and I'm sure I own some hum-dingers myself. Different strokes...

ehenz:D

litework
April 15, 2003, 09:25 PM
The looks of the XD have definitely grown on me. It just looks like a trully modern firearm. Now the Beretta 92...

Dorrin79
April 15, 2003, 11:29 PM
jeez, and people say my P-89 is ugly.

That XD makes a Glock look like a beauty queen.

TreeSquid
April 15, 2003, 11:50 PM
That two-tone doesn't look too bad, in my opinion. The olive drab one looks friggin' awful, though. I'm considering buying an XD after I get my kel-tec P3-AT. Wish I didn't have to budget my gun buys months in advance :(

Schuey2002
April 16, 2003, 12:24 AM
Between that XD and an OD green Walther P99, I'd take the Walther...:rolleyes:

samualt
April 16, 2003, 12:34 AM
Two tone is cool, kinda loud.
But the green one is but ugly!
:barf: :barf: :barf:

Tacblack
April 16, 2003, 02:14 AM
The all green one must be there new "Tactical" XD:evil:

To compete with the new "Tactical" CZ

And when did green become the new tactical color?

C. H. Luke
April 16, 2003, 02:34 AM
"The green one looks like a water pistol, IMO."

Agree! APUKE green one!

Ed Ely
April 16, 2003, 08:50 AM
How could anyone own one of those foreign
designed and made guns?

If anyone figures that out, let me know. I could
not own just ONE of them, that is why I
own FIVE of those Ugly guns. I am glad
that you guys agree that those things are Ugly.
Nothing wrong with having an Ugly gun, as long
as it shoots well, you like it and people notice it
and talk about it also. I do not think that I would
want to own a gun that no one noticed and not
have a word to say about it, good or bad.

Ed

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jaylsb
April 16, 2003, 11:00 AM
You guys are cracking me up:D
In other posts about the XD all you read is how it looks just like the Glocks and it's a cheap knock off and an imitation that looks just like a Glock, and here I'm reading how it's so ugly and "It makes the Glock look like a beauty queen" Now I don't own either, nor do I think either is "good looking" but lets face it, that's not really why you buy a gun is it???;) But like Ed Ely said, "Nothing wrong with having an Ugly gun, as long
as it shoots well, you like it and people notice it
and talk about it also. I do not think that I would
want to own a gun that no one noticed and not
have a word to say about it, good or bad." Ed, in my opinion those are words to live by!!
:D

J

dan_s
April 16, 2003, 11:59 AM
As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

Fair 'n Square
April 16, 2003, 12:30 PM
Ya' gotta admit there are guns uglier than the Glock . . . the Hi-Point comes to mind . . . but I can't think of any below that.

Yup, the XD-9 and XD-40 pistols are VAST improvements in looks over Glocks. Besides that, they shoot awful good too, and feel lots better in the hand. To get a Glock on target, ya' have ta' drop your wrist down until ya' get a cramp in your hand.

On the other hand, them XD's and the Ruger P94 and P95 guns just seem to point themselves. Now them ones is MIGHTY purty!

Don Gwinn
April 16, 2003, 01:51 PM
I REALLY like the XD. I liked it when it was the HS, but I convinced myself I was too poor to buy it even at that price. I KNEW I was going to regret that, but when the money isn't there, it isn't there.

It fits my hand so much better than the Glock. . . . and it uses cheap full-caps. . . . and it has the grip safety which, God help me, I actually like. It uses sights that are already plentiful for other models. I don't care what it looks like. Honestly, to me, guns look like guns. It takes an extraordinary work of art to move me to talk about a "beautiful" gun.

Now, that being said, was USGuns trying to imply that the CZ75 is UGLY? :what:

d1
May 17, 2003, 12:12 AM
Break it down and look at the quality.
Barrel-Looks like the bore is lapped,feed ramp polished,no tool marks.
Frame-Look closely how it's built,rails best I have seen.
Look at the stainless mags,perfect.
Ejected brass ,no drag marks ,looks like new.
Tight chamber, good for reloaders.
Eats every thing and no failures to date.
No break in needed.
I like it better that my p7m8 and thats saying alot.
Very accurate.
The bad part, just try finding any model,all allocated and some
dealers are charging 100$ more when they can get any.
The real beauty is the whole .
I think it's a sleeper and underpriced which will change.
My serial number on my sub-compact is in the 99,000 range.
Thats a lot of production in a short time.
My son has worked with cnc machines and he said it's some
of the best he has ever seen.
So it has a flat top,I don't even notice any more.
Ed

Majic
May 17, 2003, 01:00 AM
I would like to see the longer slide Tacticle model in 2-tone, but all I get to see around here is the Service models and damn few of them. There's a gunshow this weekend and I hope to run up on one there.

Skunkabilly
May 17, 2003, 01:20 AM
The two-tone looks sweet.

OneShot
May 17, 2003, 02:47 AM
Gotta agree that they are butt ugly even though I own one. They are outstanding guns however.

When I want pretty, I'll fondel my 1911.

Truly a face that only a mother could love

gudel
May 17, 2003, 03:50 AM
i just got one for $429+tax, out of the door is about $490. this is the black 4" model. i like the simple field strip method. from my 3 guns, USP 45, Ruger KP95 and XD40, the ruger is the complicated take down procedure
i don't think this pistol is ugly, it looks normal to me. glock is ugly, no contest. :D

Prodigalshooter
May 17, 2003, 10:39 AM
Looks are truely subjective, I have fired the XD and it was a very accurate, enjoyable pistol. I am currently trying to convince myself I don't need one, we'll see how that pans out.:rolleyes:
They are good shooters though.

NoBite
May 17, 2003, 11:10 AM
the looks. Shoot the dern thang. Then, shoot it again. Heck, put a case downrange and then let's hear your opinion of looks!

After shooting a rented Glock a while back, I decided a tupperware gun would not be suitable for me. But, something about the HS/XD drew me in. Bought the 4" XD-9 and haven't regretted the purchase for a moment. Got a Sparks VM2 to complement the one for my Kimber. Works well. Feels great. The XD just points so naturally and the bullet holes keep appearing where they should. What's not to like?

Then, finally when you go to tear it down, it's so easy! I don't mind stripping my 1911, but this is so much easier it's almost silly.

Had a friend and fellow 1911-lover over the other day. Reluctantly, he shot the XD. From 25' he put five rounds into a hole the size of a half dollar. First time he shot the gun. Now even he is saying it doesn't look too bad!

LiquidTension
May 17, 2003, 11:31 AM
The green one looks like someone dragged it through a baby's diaper after the baby had spinach baby food for dinner.

litework
May 17, 2003, 01:58 PM
Majic,

You going to the gunshow in Bealeton or the one in Richmond. The show in Bealeton didn't have many XD's at all.

WonderNine
May 17, 2003, 03:08 PM
I'm sick of ugly @$$ guns like this.

NoBite
May 17, 2003, 04:17 PM
check out Whittaker's Guns near Owensboro, KY. Just an amazing inventory, nice folks and very competitive pricing. Of course, they ship and here's their web site: http://www.whittakerguns.com/

I actually went there to buy a CZ75B and came home with the XD. They are a master distributor of CZs and have a good selection of XDs as well as Sigs. Also a very impressive collection of long guns.

Give 'em a call. You might be surprised at how competitive these folks are.

Lone_Gunman
May 17, 2003, 07:15 PM
Ugly means ugly.

Nonfunctional means nonfunctional.

To claim that something that is functional cannot be ugly makes no since.

Those guns are ugly, whether they work or not is another matter entirely.

The puke/booger green is especially repulsive.

Ed Ely
May 17, 2003, 07:29 PM
me think so.
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL51/1049090/1964788/25321214.jpg

I think that the owner had the green
sandblasted off and had some kind of
really nice chromed finish on the rest of
the firearm.

It ain't so ugggie now is it?

Ed

NoBite
May 17, 2003, 08:03 PM
Lone Gunman, ever hear the phrase "Love is blind"? (To me) that means that it's possible to appreciate some thing or some one to the extent that outward appearances take on little meaning. You might even say that the thing or person becomes beautiful because it/she/he is loved. That's the essence of what is meant by folks that say that functionality over-rules ugliness and in fact can erase the ugliness entirely.

You are correct that objectively ugly is ugly and functional is functional. However, once an object or person is appreciated, objectivity goes out the window. Now, we are in the realm of subjectivity and in that realm an XD can be thought of as beautiful because it is so functional.

Hey, I never thought I'd like a flat-top pistol either. Always thought they were butt-ugly. Now that I own an XD, I kind of like the look! (Except for Glocks. Now, those ARE ugly! :neener: )

Lone_Gunman
May 17, 2003, 09:00 PM
NoBite,

The problem with your comment is that it does a disservice to gunmakers who make a functional product that is also attractive.

Majic
May 17, 2003, 11:00 PM
Litework,
I went to the show in Richmond. They had exactly 2 there and both were 9mm. I really want a Tactical in .40 but they are like hens teeth around here. I talked to the dealer for Quantico Arms and he said he got a few he ordered for people before and would check when he got back home. I did get to handle the Service Model and it seems like a pretty good pistol. A big improvement over the Glock to me. There is one Tactical for sale on the net, but it is that baby diaper green and I just can't stomach that.

I know the prices at gunshow are going out the roof, but today I saw a mortgage company with a table. I hope I never get that bad. :what:

JMag
May 17, 2003, 11:07 PM
In all seriousness, you couldn't give me an XD! Well, you could and I would sell it for Sig/Glock money!

To each his own; I prefer more and better. Save up!!!

BTW, maybe SA will have the Croatians bring out a a Thai dyed model...whoopee...dude!:D

Ed Ely
May 17, 2003, 11:36 PM
do you honestly believe in what you
quote in your signature?

"The truth is incontrovertible;
malice may attack it, ignorance
may deride it, but in the end, there
it is." ? Winston Churchill

I bet the truth is that you have not
even shot an SA XD, now have you?

Here you are trying to pass judgement.
Ahhhh! "but in the end, there it is".

NoBite
May 17, 2003, 11:43 PM
Lone Gunman,

Hey, I don't want to ignore the fact that some beauty is an acquired taste and some is obvious from the start!

We don't disagree on that at all! :cool: For instance, IMHO, my Kimber is beautiful and aesthetically pleasing and would be, to me, whether or not it shot well. Point well made.

Some guns (people) are easier on the eyes right from the get-go. Others kind of grow on you!

litework
May 18, 2003, 12:52 AM
Heck Majic, I can't believe there were more XD's in Bealeton than in Richmond. I'm about to order my second XD (probably a tactical 357). I briefly looked at the Glock 20 and Glock 31, but they just don't have the features of the XD. I have a hard time believing the XD's actually cost less than the Glock. That probably won't be the case this time next year.

litework
May 18, 2003, 01:01 AM
BTW...I think Glocks and XD's are quite attractive.

JMag
May 18, 2003, 01:32 AM
To Ed,

Ed, Ed, Ed...you know, I was going to add that I HAVE shot an XD just because of the possibility someone would think "here's another basher who hasn't tried it" and try and nail me on it.

Oh well, woulda, coulda...

So, YES, I've shot an XD-9, nope I did not like it, and yes I would take one if given it only to sell it for a better example of a fighting handgun. Okay?

My SigPro 2009 is a much better gun that I figure will still be shooting long after the XD hoopla has subsided...

I did not like trigger in the XD (long reset), the blue/black finish (Bruniral or whatever) is not durable as I hear it, and I don't like the FACT that the XD has NO rear rail steel inserts like the Glock does have.

Time will tell. Maybe they will be one to run with the Glocks/Sigs in the long term. We shall see...

Yes, I believe in my sig...that's why I use it! Shoot well...

schapman43
May 18, 2003, 03:36 AM
What??? The green matches a pair of shoes that I have and the stainless goes well with both summer and winter colors.

What the hell is going on around here. Now we're all becoming fashion critics. :)

GitSome45
May 18, 2003, 04:54 AM
I think the OD Green one looks COOL, I want one, would buy over a glock....AND I LIKE GLOCKS...:D

For truly UGLY, just look at a SIG P210, FUNKY @$$ed looking slide with a big HUMP at the back, UGLY trigger that looks like it was fitted from a TOTALLY different gun, and what about the STUPID safety that wears a GROOVE in the finish from its ball bearing.... AND A HEEL MAG RELEASE...? :barf:

BUT....

I would give my left *** to own one, as they truly are the "Rolls Royce" of 9mms' . Not to mention that they are SWISS made, and have the fit, finish, and quality of a THOROUGHBRED... Any true firearms enthusiast knows that the Sig P210, while rarely seen and commonly un-noticed, is one of the more desired pieces of any real collection... (besides that 1911A1 mfd. by SINGER...)

IF UGLY IS BAD, THEN I DON'T WANNA BE GOOD ! :cool:

Howard

litework
May 18, 2003, 12:30 PM
The XD slide rail system is as sturdy as the Glock. The only reason Glock has that trivial amount of metalic material on the rear rail is to overcome the lack of polymer material (~.030" polymer lip vs. the .100" on the XD). The XD uses all metal on the rail on the locking block. Glock again uses that strategically placed metal strip. Both systems are extremely effective. I think some people have imprinted opinions of what a polymer pistol should be. As a Glock owner, I had a hard time accepting the XD, and don't even get me started on the Sig Pro. I'm sure the Sig Pro is a fine gun, but I'd hardly rate it ahead of Glock or XD; I like the striker fired system over the DA/SA system.

JMag
May 18, 2003, 09:55 PM
One should be careful to not place the XD and the Sig P210 in the same post as they are lightyears apart.

Second, I would put the SigPro (firing mech module. similar to P210 of all things!) up against ANY XD in the durability and shootability departments. The Pros are catching on and....they are Sigs. 'Nuff said...

litework
May 19, 2003, 12:06 PM
The purpose of my post was to provide information that would show that the XD slide rail is sufficient to handle years of abuse. As far as your claim that your Sig is better than an XD, it is very possible. Your opinion is every bit as valid as mine. I personally feel that the XD is a better gun than any of the service model Sigs. It is my opinion that the Sig and the XD are "light years" apart as well, but I've never been too fond of any Sig, even my father's beloved 229. I feel just as strongly about the XD line up as you do about the Sig, and I would put an XD up against a Sig any day, as well. I just wouldn't hold my breath waiting for either one of them to have a significant breakage.

GitSome45
May 19, 2003, 04:13 PM
JMag,

Quote:
"One should be careful to not place the XD and the Sig P210 in the same post as they are lightyears apart."

You did it TWICE...:D :D :D (Just Kiddin Ya)

Howard

Ed Ely
May 19, 2003, 05:57 PM
BANG! BANG! BANG! :neener: :neener:
all fired with a Sig, HS/XD or whatever you care to fire at it. It's dead. Been fun though:cool:

Ed

JMag
May 19, 2003, 10:14 PM
Gitsome,

But, I WAS careful in doing it! :D

d1
May 30, 2003, 09:03 PM
I did not realize so many people take their guns to the bath room
to masterbate.What happened to magazines.

George Hill
May 30, 2003, 10:43 PM
Worried about the rear rails?

Please... Springfield has a LIFE TIME WARRANTY. If you have an XD and it has ANY problems, Springfield will pay the bill for shipping both ways, and fix it for free.

Oh, and this is the last post on this subject. Pretty much refrencing masturbation is a good sign that the thread has run it's course.

gudel
May 31, 2003, 12:20 AM
did any of you see my thread? i have a picture of the XD next to a USP and KP95. hardly ugly, this gun has become my favorite, i like it more than the USP.
oh yeah, the metal slide rails are thicker than the USP. (the XD and USP are the most accurate ones I have)

and yes, Glock is ugly but everyone seems to like it. :eek: don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

NevadaPistolero
May 31, 2003, 10:33 PM
Ahhh yes, in a couple of years the XD will knock the hell out of gluk sales. They are a thing of beauty :) At least they dont dont blow up in your face :neener:

rugerfreak
June 1, 2003, 01:34 AM
Where's the Silver/Green model----seems like that wouldn't be half bad.

The Green/Green is a little shocking to the senses---maybe I'll get one for collector value---as I don't see 'em selling too many in that combination----lol.

Min
June 1, 2003, 05:05 PM
I had an XD9. I traded it for a Sig P220 .45. I like XD's okay, but I got a Sig (my first) for it. I thought the XD's were heavy for a polymer-framed pistol. I compared it with my Glock 19, and the Glock was noticeably lighter. I may get one later, but right now there is no niche in my collection that it could fill or hasn't been filled by another gun.

BTW, the stainless/black gun isn't so bad. The green/green is a bit much. The stainless/green? The black slide/green frame? The green slide/black frame? The possibilities...

Lt. G
June 4, 2003, 11:01 PM
Just read on one of the threads that hi cap mags for the full size XD Springfield are cheap. I own the orginal HS 2000 and Xd mags are supposed to fit it. I bought it for $300 new in the box. How much are the mags and where do I get them? Thanks

George Hill
June 5, 2003, 12:48 AM
I've see the green one in person and really it doesn't look that bad at all. The photo makes it look a lot brighter than it really is. In person it comes out a bit more olive drab than the photo shows.

I like it.

firestar
June 5, 2003, 01:13 AM
Still looks better than a Glock.:neener:

makdaddy03
June 5, 2003, 01:24 AM
Now I want to know how did you post a pic that damn BIG? I have been trying to post a pic for days and it keeps saying the Image is to LARGE.:mad:

BevrFevr
June 5, 2003, 10:12 AM
I mean it sounds like alot of you guys spend too much time at the florists!

-bevr

Russ
June 5, 2003, 11:12 AM
The green one make a Hi Point look good!

If you enjoyed reading about "New XD. Ugly Pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!